BSOD x00000007b during install

litk

Hi,

I'm trying to install xp on Acer ES1-131 without luck becouse of this BSOD. I use USB connected optical drive, and my harddrive is SSD drive. I enabled legacy mode of SATA controller in the BIOS. Is there any chance to install xp on this machine? Please help.

I read a little more about the Acer ES1-131. Are you sure that your model has SATA SSD drive? Typically Acer ES1-131 have builtin eMMC memory only, which is incompatible with Windows systems before 8.

Edited by Yellow Horror

Wait a minute.

When  (exactly) are you having the 0x0000007b Stop Error?

Describe what you can do BEFORE the BSOD.

What I suspect is that you are having an issue in installing the XP from the USB bus.

Try using WinntSetupfromUSB on a stick (as opposed to your USB CD/DVD drive) as source:

http://www.msfn.org/board/forum/157-install-windows-from-usb/

(or one of the other available methods available in that sub-forum)

jaclaz

WinntSetupfromUSB

Still without luck. Installer gives me bsod after loading setup files and before hiting enter to start installation. When I choose first two options of WinntSetupfromUSB it gives error that no supported hardware IDs found, or something.

Edited by litk

The first step you need to do is identify the Hardware IDs of both the USB and the storage controller. Then find the drivers for each and add them to your install source and to your OS image.

You can find the HwID by booting a WinPE and use Nirsoft's Devmanview:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/device_manager_view.html

Or in DOS there are programs such as pciscan.exe.... BUT i am having difficulty finding where this tool comes from.

Anyways, it is always easier to know exactly what you are looking for rather than blindly trying drivers. It is real simple, you find the hardware ID, then you can open the INF of a driver and see if the hardware ID is in there or not. If it is, then you can try it. If it isn't, don't bother!

I can't find any positive examples of installing Windows XP on Acer ES1-131. Probably its chipset is not supported by Intel drivers suitable for XP. But this

2 hours ago, Tripredacus said:

The first step you need to do is identify the Hardware IDs of both the USB and the storage controller.

is a good advice to help in finding a suitable driver or make the final conclusion that this is impossible. You may use Windows PE version 8.1 or 10, or a Linux based "Live disk". Linux command to list PCI devices with their hardware IDs is:

lspci -nn

This is my hardware

00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:2280] (rev 21)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:22b1] (rev 21)
00:0b.0 Signal processing controller [1180]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:22dc] (rev 21)
00:13.0 SATA controller [0106]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:22a3] (rev 21)
00:14.0 USB controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:22b5] (rev 21)
00:1a.0 Encryption controller [1080]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:2298] (rev 21)
00:1b.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:2284] (rev 21)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:22c8] (rev 21)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:22cc] (rev 21)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:22ce] (rev 21)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge [0601]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:229c] (rev 21)
00:1f.3 SMBus [0c05]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:2292] (rev 21)
02:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Qualcomm Atheros QCA9565 / AR9565 Wireless Network Adapter [168c:0036] (rev 01)
03:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller [10ec:8168] (rev 15)

The are not any xp drivers for this model on Acer site. So, that's it, I think.

EDIT:

I found this topic: https://www.win-raid.com/t11f23-Modded-Intel-AHCI-and-RAID-Drivers-digitally-signed.html. This moded drivers contains AHCI driver for my device 22a3, XP also, but it doesn't work either.

Edited by litk

Do the SATA controller hardware ID changes if you change AHCI settings in BIOS setup?

UPD: After thoroughly search i am sure that there is no official XP compatible driver supporting [8086:22a3] SATA controller. I found one unofficial driver (based on iaStor v.11.2.0.1006 with modified .INF file) that may support it. But one user reported that the driver didn't help him, just changed BSOD from 0x7b to 0x7e.

I suggest you to try the driver as a last chance (registration on the win-raid forum is required to download it).

Edited by Yellow Horror

There should be a working Windows 7 driver. I see a few reports of successfully installing Windows 7 on Acer ES1-131.

UPD: Russian Acer-related forum users suggest to switch off UEFI boot (set a supervisor password, then SecureBoot -> Disable, then BootMode -> Legacy) and convert drive to MBR before installing Windows 7 on it.

Edited by Yellow Horror