Artificial AMD driver block on Windows 8.0

greenhillmaniac

1 hour ago, jeff69dini said:

oh my, so sad, I for one want this to work on 8.0.....I hope someone can help us?! please have mercy :)

Don't want to sound rude or anything, but why you don't want to switch to 8.1? I think the're the same os, but 8.1 has start button :D

• 2 weeks later...

On 10/28/2020 at 9:06 AM, Jaguarek62 said:

Don't want to sound rude or anything, but why you don't want to switch to 8.1? I think the're the same os, but 8.1 has start button :D

Been using 8.0 on a touch screen laptop. I remember greenhillmaniac or jody say that the advantage of 8.0 over 8.1 is its lack of telemetry. Can't prove the claim its less resource intensive though. Been a great OS though, just got to avoid forced 8.1 KB's.

-TheSaga

Edited by TheSaga

1 hour ago, TheSaga said:

Been using 8.0 on a touch screen laptop. I remember greenhillmaniac or jody say that the advantage of 8.0 over 8.1 is its lack of telemetry. Can't prove the claim its less resource intensive though. Been a great OS though, just got to avoid forced 8.1 KB's.

-TheSaga

Well back in 2013 I absolutely hated that os. It was weird for me at the time. Windows 8.1 improved the metro ui, added start button and for me at least improved my pc performance (especially ssd io). Telemetry can be removed, so that’s why I asked that very question. I absolutely don’t want to make anyone angry or anything, just being curious.

• 2 years later...
On 10/28/2020 at 6:15 AM, win32 said:

contrary to my earlier beliefs, I haven't found any specific NT 6.2 blocking code in the kernel mode driver (in fact there is Vista stuff in 17.9.3). So try replacing dxgkrnl.sys with the one from 8.1.

Does replacing dxgkrnl.sys with windows 7 one works? Also can you see how 16.9.1+ AMD drivers behave with Windows 8 beta, so, if it works on 8 beta, maybe dxgkrnl.sys from 8 beta will work?

Edited by Cockatiel