Compiling Chromium browser for XP

7 hours ago, Yellow Horror said:

"XP and its 6.47% of users and it will for sure decrease..."

As long as a browser, or any other piece of software, works correctly for me, its marketing share don't bother me at all.

If market share was the only thing that mattered, then all developers should drop Mac OS X support immediately.

Windows XP and all combined versions of Mac OS X (10.12, 10.11, 10.10, 10.9, 10.8, 10.7, 10.6, 10.5, etc) have the same market share. Both Mac OS X and Windows XP each hold about 6% of the OS market share.

Mac OS X 10.12, the newest version, only has about half the users of Windows XP (3.34% vs 6.47%)

Google is tracking plans with its own desktop OS. First make the internet community dependent on a modern web browser and then drop the support. It reminds me of MS with their Internet Explorer. Wish @Dibya all the best for a more up-to-date Chromium browser.

:)

Edited by heinoganda

Hi friends,  chromium requires vs2017 to compile. I cannot download it in my connection as they are not providing iso.

Any way to compile vs2017 tool chain code in vs 2013? Moreover vs2017 adds telemetry code reason I want to avoid it.

Honestly, I'd just install a Win 7 VM to reduce the hassle. It may or may not be possible to compile it on Visual Studio 2013. You can try if you want.

There's a step by step guide here. https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/+/master/docs/windows_build_instructions.md

Just warning you, the code is really freaking huge, so expect to wait hours for it to download and compile. Good luck.

It's unfortunate that it is so complicated, that would be a good choice.

I tried to compare FF 52 ESR and Chrome 49 using Page Speed Monitor to compare page loading time and Chrome is clearly faster than FF. Apparently it's not possible to use the extension with Pale Moon so I don't know exactly. It seems faster than FF 52 and slower than Chrome but I don't know exactly.

I will ask  creator of Advanced Chrome once if he is willing to help us. I will ask him / her to update Chrome engine and add ECC support for XP.

What you guys think about that? I will go and start a new thread.

I am personally experienced with Gecko browser rather chromium. CPP format used in Chrome is complex.

I have ran some experiment over weeks and no hope. From 49 to 63 their a drastic changes. They removed everything needed by XP/ Vista to work.

Thanks Google and Chromium team to kill us. Thanks for your cruel help.

• 2 weeks later...

I desperately want someone to make firefox 57 compatible for Windows XP as there are still a lot of xp users out there and the new Firefox quantum is blazingly fast compared to firefox 52. I would do it myself but unfortunately I am not a programmer. I hope that whoever does it ensures the xp version of firefox 57 will not be any buggier than the standard firefox 57. I know it will take some time to get this working but I am willing to wait two years or more if that's what it takes to get firefox 57 compatible. I also hope whoever does it will ensure the Adobe Primetime Content Decryption Module will continue to function under this version so h.264 video will remain accessible.

On 11/17/2017 at 7:33 PM, Dibya said:

I am going for Firefox 57 . No way to stay on chrome it's really better than any browser I used before.

Any luck with Firefox 57?

• 1 month later...

I used TortoiseGit to access the Git Chromium repository and incidentally Kaspersky warned me of the security risk in the file:

...\src\third_party\WebKit\LayoutTests\images\resources\crbug702934.png

Exploit.Win32.CVE-2013-2977.a

Sample file: crbug702934.png

UnRAR Password: www.msfn.org

crbug702934.rar

2018-01-07_090604.png

2018-01-07_091820.png

3 hours ago, MaterSystem said:

I used TortoiseGit to access the Git Chromium repository and incidentally Kaspersky warned me of the security risk in the file:

...\src\third_party\WebKit\LayoutTests\images\resources\crbug702934.png

Exploit.Win32.CVE-2013-2977.a

• This is a deliberately tweaked test image for a bug in Chromium's PNGImageDecoder, that doesn't mean it's malicious.
  • Even if it were malicious, CVE-2013-2977 applies to IBM Notes which you're unlikely to have installed.
  • In other words, don't worry about it.