AOL Shield browser now available for Windows XP and Vista

sdfox7

AOL users: you may be aware that AOL recently discontinued free access with the traditional AOL client. The only way to access mail for free is to access it using a web browser and going to aol.com. To continue using the client, you must upgrade to AOL Desktop Gold and pay a low monthly fee.

However, AOL has now released AOL Shield (free) which is a "optimized browser for users on dial-up internet connections and/or older operating systems. AOL Shield is optimized for older operating systems like Windows XP and Windows Vista. It also has features that enable it to run on computers with a dial-up internet connection."

For more information or to download, see this page: AOL Shield

Interestingly, XP and Vista are not listed as supported HERE. (but your link still works, haven't tried the download button on this one.)
This other page is a chrome variant browser, (or at least the screenshot would hint that) and this seems to be firefox based. 
Different browsers with the same name?

Anyway, Here's its useragent:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 AOLShield/52.3.0

It would appear to just be Firefox 52.3 ESR under the hood.

@i430VX

The program indeed works on XP. However, the link you posted above only downloads a stub of the installation program. The link I provided downloads the complete installation program (currently version 1.0.0.29: http://web1.sentrybay.com/internalbuilds/aoldial/AOL Shield 1.0.0.29 Setup.exe)

This is basically a clone of Firefox, but it has a "dock" in the upper left of the browser that has quick shortcuts for mail, news, search, and benefits. It's nice if you want quick access to mail, at least.

aolshield.jpg

10 hours ago, sdfox7 said:

@i430VX

Naturally, my next question is, why is it based on 52.3 and not 52.4? AOL Shield is digitally signed October 2, which is about a week after Firefox 52.4 was released.

My best guess is because development takes time, and this probably isn't AOL's (Oath's) top priority.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Well, that didn't last long. The download page has been removed.

whoops.thumb.png.9a82c155f2f8fbd4315500e470c018d4.png

the links you found for download still work, but just in case they cease to work, I have archived the last known version (1.0.0.35) on my server:

http://i430vx.strangled.net/files/XP/EOL/AOL Shield 1.0.0.35 Setup.exe

Edited by i430VX

After significant research I could not locate a version later than 1.0.0.35.

Anyone have a paid AOL account, therefore access to their support people? If so maybe ask what happened?

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/25/2017 at 6:21 PM, sdfox7 said:

AOL users: you may be aware that AOL recently discontinued free access with the traditional AOL client. The only way to access mail for free is to access it using a web browser and going to aol.com. To continue using the client, you must upgrade to AOL Desktop Gold and pay a low monthly fee.

I gave up on the AOL client when it was discontinued. I now access my AOL emails via SeaMonkey (IMAP). Have set them all up so that when I open the email client they are all together and no need to log into each account separately using a web browser.

Good Luck

Edited by risk_reversal

11 hours ago, Donovan Valentine said:

You can access AOL Email by using AOL Desktop Gold. There are not big charges for this. I think these charges are affordable for everyone.

This is not an option for Windows XP. The AOL Desktop Gold installer requires Windows 7 or newer.

• 1 year later...
6 hours ago, Joe Jennifer said:

With lots of amazing security features, roadrunner email is created its own name in the market. These security features provide extra safety to your mails and help you to protect your privacy in an efficient manner. Apart from its number of features, it is also prone to errors and one of them is email suspended issue. This problem arises due to the changes in account settings and configurations. However, you don’t to worry, if you stumble upon with this issue. Just make a call at [...] and follow the guidance of our professionals to fix this issue.

MSFN rule 2.e might apply here:

Please contribute to MSFN first before posting links to your application/tutorial/site/etc. In other words, please do not advertise something of yours here without helping out around the forum beforehand, otherwise this will be considered spam. Offenders may be banned on first violation.

... and possibly rule 4.a:

Spamming will not be tolerated. We have provided a section for those who wish to share your personal websites, not commercial ones; use these sections only. We do keep a log of all IP traffic that comes in and out of this site. We will report spamming to your ISP!

@dencorso, what are your thoughts on this? ;)

... :realmad: :realmad: Yet another spamming post (disguised as a help plea) right before this one, from - most probably - the same spammer, under a newly created account and associated user name... If you read this, move your spamming activities elsewhere :angry: ; most members here are smart enough not to click your spamming links <_< :thumbdown ; I trust the site admins will soon take care of you... 

Edited by VistaLover