When will there be a version for Windows 10 1709?

11 hours ago, DavidHuynh94 said:

Of course I read it. I was just curious as to why people were claiming that their watermark didn't show up after adding they key. Not everyone is as clueless as you'd imagine on the internet.

Sorry to have led folks astray, seems to have been a one time only deal, after rebooting my PC today I now have watermark again, tried new key as well and didn't change :(

Capture.PNG.57d7fbb55488bf0446d999d288836e1d.PNG

We'll it was nice while it lasted...

2 hours ago, joeberardis said:

Just curious if anyone with a bit more hands on time using previous experimental builds have found a way to disable watermark via registry tweaks, CMD, or manipulation of the .dll itself?

It's great idea to ask this straight on the developer's board... :)

2 hours ago, Mostly Harmless said:

It's great idea to ask this straight on the developer's board... :)

Thank you will do.

Also just to note here, I did a system restore to last night and I am surprised but with the settings that I had (not sure what got changed) the donation IS loaded by aeroglass as seen near line 41 on this debug log(the section of the log was all that was printed to console after a fresh system restore to when I had no watermark.) https://pastebin.com/H56weqTq

Also a picture again.

image.png.17e655452df8cc9060d2ce273fa837e2.png

Really bizarre.

I'll definitely be bringing this up on the dev board.

Edited by joeberardis
adding media

13 hours ago, joeberardis said:

Just curious if anyone with a bit more hands on time using previous experimental builds have found a way to disable watermark via registry tweaks, CMD, or manipulation of the .dll itself?

...or U could just wait until the build for FCU is done!

The latest version, 1.5.6.1255, finally works for me (the prior ones crashed DWM hard, to the point where I couldn't even start Aero Glass).  Thank you, Big Muscle.

Though I've put in my own theme atlas (trivial to use the RoundedCorners.png that I had made before, since Big Muscle implemented the .layout translation feature), I have not yet done a full theme replacement.  I really dislike flat, lifeless controls, and I had a pretty usable setup with v1703 that rounded the corners of buttons and gave them a little more recognizability using an aero7 replacement theme.  Since themes cut deep and could pose stability problems, I would like to hear from others who have both added Aero Glass and have found a good theme that both rounds the corners of buttons and gives skeuomophism (3D appearance) to controls.

EDIT:  I have successfully loaded the aero7 theme by sagorpirbd.  That still seems to work OK.

VMware Workstation Pro 14 is facilitating full-screen operation of my test VM for me again (I had lost that with version 11), so it's possible to immerse myself completely in my tweaked Win 10 to do real fitness for purpose testing.  I've already done some of that with the stock Windows 10 (lack of) theme and found that after a whole day of using it heavily for my work I was more tired than when I had a more elegant theme.  It seems to have enough functionality, though.

FYI, there are a couple of visual glitches to report:

1.  An inactive normal GDI window uses the active border from the theme atlas (you might have accidentally switched active/inactive border coloration in the code).  This doesn't seem to happen on ribbon-enabled windows.  Note the slight blue coloration in the border of the "Inactive normal window" Notepad instance in this screen grab, for example:

AeroGlassWindowBorderGlitch.png

2.  You can also see in the above that the title coloring and backing are not working for the Wordpad window.

3.  I didn't get a screen grab but I lost the upper-right corner of an Internet Explorer window on my right monitor once so far when using Windows 10 in full-screen mode across all monitors.

4.  Moving windows around seems quite slow (just a few frames per second refreshes), even though I've got a pretty fast system and a very good video card.  I can possibly attribute this to running Win 10 in a VM, though most everything else seems fast.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

Thanks, Mike.  :)

For a while I found that Pale Moon - which I have been evaluating to see whether I could use it exclusively - won't even open the editor here, but Internet Explorer will allow me to type messages as it always has.

Even though Big Muscle has made Aero Glass for Win 8+ work yet again with v1709 (though a bit buggy and slow at the moment), in all seriousness I fear Aero Glass for Win 8+ is probably on its last legs - mainly because Windows is on its last legs.  The relentless re-release pace just kills everything creative.

-Noel

7 hours ago, NoelC said:

Thanks, Mike.  :)

For a while I found that Pale Moon - which I have been evaluating to see whether I could use it exclusively - won't even open the editor here, but Internet Explorer will allow me to type messages as it always has.

Even though Big Muscle has made Aero Glass for Win 8+ work yet again with v1709 (though a bit buggy and slow at the moment), in all seriousness I fear Aero Glass for Win 8+ is probably on its last legs - mainly because Windows is on its last legs.  The relentless re-release pace just kills everything creative.

-Noel

Chrome works great, and Windows is not on its last legs.  It releases a major update every 6 months which shows that it is keeping up with what people want.  Windows 10 just keeps getting better.

11 hours ago, NoelC said:

The relentless re-release pace just kills everything creative.

This is my feeling too.... Those of my machines using w10 is less and less used. The OS I turn too when I do something during the day is Win7, MacOS and mostly Mint18.2 on a laptop. It goes weeks before I do use w10. Sorry dhjohns :unsure:

5 hours ago, dhjohns said:

Chrome works great, and Windows is not on its last legs.  It releases a major update every 6 months which shows that it is keeping up with what people want.  Windows 10 just keeps getting better.

Really?  I'll be contrarian, but what's been great in the yearly (and now semi-annual) updates?  All they seem to do is mess about with stuff I use, but they don't seem to bring in any new features that I use.   Thus the massive updates feel more like a pain than something that improves the OS.  I much preferred the old way of a new OS every so many years, with only security update and service packs.

7 hours ago, Zod said:

Really?  I'll be contrarian, but what's been great in the yearly (and now semi-annual) updates?  All they seem to do is mess about with stuff I use, but they don't seem to bring in any new features that I use.   Thus the massive updates feel more like a pain than something that improves the OS.  I much preferred the old way of a new OS every so many years, with only security update and service packs.

Each to his own!  I haven't had any issues with updates.

I also experienced horrible composition performance with Aero Glass on VMware virtual machine. This affects basically everything that isn't running in exclusive fullscreen mode. When running Windows 10 natively, there wasn't any noticeable performance impact.

The thing about ribbon windows, they're using the function for extending frame into client area, which disables DWM's rendering of caption text. The caption text properties can be modified by editing the theme's .msstyles file. I don't know if it's possible to get glow from atlas image this way, composited version works though. I wasn't able to get it quite right like on Windows 8.1, the color changed only after modifying global CAPTIONTEXT property, which affects a little more than just window frames (check Computer Management), rather than just TEXTCOLOR properties stored in classes dealing explicitly with window frames. Also, the color changes to black in combination with certain window frame colors. It also resets after pressing CTRL + ALT + DELETE and reverts back only after reloading the theme by switching to default theme and back.

Wordpad.thumb.PNG.abac8dc9f08c1c9fb3fa8dfb491a6803.PNG

For regular windows, I could change caption color for both active and inactive window state with separate properties like on Windows 8.1, but, as with windows with custom frames, the color for active frame goes black with certain frame colors. Windows 10 also mixes caption font color for inactive windows with the frame color itself, hence the WordPad caption font is pale red in the above screenshot, even though I picked the usual red color from color picker dialog. Aero Glass can override caption color for regular windows, though there's no option to distinct between active and inactive windows.

On 11. 11. 2017 at 3:10 PM, NoelC said:

1.  An inactive normal GDI window uses the active border from the theme atlas (you might have accidentally switched active/inactive border coloration in the code).  This doesn't seem to happen on ribbon-enabled windows.

These colors are stored in registry. DWM seems to add a tiny bit of active window frame color to the inactive frame color if Aero Glass' own extra settings aren't present. Open and close Aero Glass GUI to add them. There are multiple separate settings for controlling colorization. Windows by itself has only one dealing with inactive border colorization I think, the one that Winaero Tweaker can alter.

The small bug with interpreting TextGlowMode setting is still present.

Also noticed improved integration with Edge since the last time I checked.

Edited by UCyborg

So, I'm trying a dev build on 1709 and runs nicely, but is it normal for the dwm window to stay open or...?

I've tried in the screenshot to show the os version and build, the batch file, the dwm window and the contents of the aeroglass folder (that actually is all in there, despite the fact that it looks like it isn't all).

EDIT: I've just read some comments before mine and found out that the dwm window is a debug window and it's supposed to be visible. Oh well, at least it works flawlessly.

Oh, and my dev build isn't a dev build, but a public experimental one. I should've documented myself before posting, but I'll keep this post just to show some details in case i've made any mistakes or if anyone wants to try my setup. :^)

EDIT 2: Forgot to mention how useful is the multi desktop feature of Win10, now I can ignore the debug window.

image.thumb.png.a0fc2b0c22b2ce29d576121d747e00db.png

Edited by Florinel787
1st edit: documented too late and came back with new info. 2nd edit: forgot to mention something