Integrate Unoffcial ExKernel?

sethdm02

• 4 weeks later...

On 10/15/2017 at 1:19 AM, sethdm02 said:

integrating extended kernel? there are no command line options for integrating does anyone know if you can?

If you mean the @blackwingcat's Extended Kernel, then there is no official way to integrate it directly to the Windows 2000 source. You could theoretically use HFSLIP but you would first have to repack and modify the whole package to make it compatible with it.

20 hours ago, tomasz86 said:

If you mean the @blackwingcat's Extended Kernel, then there is no official way to integrate it directly to the Windows 2000 source. You could theoretically use HFSLIP but you would first have to repack and modify the whole package to make it compatible with it.

Why do you say "theoretically"; I thought you were doing this regularly a few years ago, and planning to do it again at some point?

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/156521-unofficial-sp-52-for-microsoft-windows-2000-wip/?do=findComment&comment=1103672

9 hours ago, bluebolt said:

Why do you say "theoretically"; I thought you were doing this regularly a few years ago, and planning to do it again at some point?

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/156521-unofficial-sp-52-for-microsoft-windows-2000-wip/?do=findComment&comment=1103672

Well, but that was UURollup. I had to do a lot of manual editing in order to make everything work like that. The BWC kernel uses a customised installer, so first of all everything has to be repacked. Next, there are many registry entries that HFSLIP will simply not add automatically, so the files have to be edited specifically with HFSLIP in mind (which I did then). In addition, everything has to be re-checked each time there is an update to the kernel.

That is why I said "theoretically". There are, of course, many benefits of slipstreaming the kernel, such as the ability to slipstream new AHCI/RAID drivers or direct .NET Framework 3.5/4.0 integration, but all in all it was just too much hassle :(. I think that the only reliable way of integration would be to create some kind of a script/program that would repack the kernel automatically so that it could be added to HFSLIP directly. An alternate method would be to make HFSLIP itself support the kernel out of the box. HFSLIP even now has hardcoded many specific updates that are processed separately, such as the Update Rollup 1 or the USP 5.1 so it is indeed possible. Everything would require a lot of time and testing though.

Edited by tomasz86