[Guide] Windows Vista on the Intel Ivy Bridge platform

WinClient5270

• 2 years later...

Hi, I'm new here. I'm currently trying to install Windows Vista SP2 Ultimate x64 on an Asus X553M notebook I've got lying around. It's not the oldest machine, and 100% not period appropriate (considering it came with Windows 10), but I was hoping I could make it work. According to a sticker on it, it has an Intel Pentium N3540 with 4 cores, clocked at 2.16GHz. The only information I could get about this thing is that it's a Bay Trail, which supposedly is just a lower end Ivy Bridge, and that the H4000 graphics driver should work on it.

I did successfully install Vista, and I even managed to get some drivers thanks to Snappy Driver Installer, but the graphics driver has me stumped (alongside wifi and bluetooth, but that's less of a priority in my eyes, since ethernet works well enough). I tried using the provided installer and it nearly got to the end, but it came up with an error that said "This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing this software." and quit. I would provide a log life, but I don't know where to get it (nor if the installer even created one). I tried masquerading the OS as Windows 7 SP 1 with osver.ini, but no dice. I also installed a version of the extended kernel from a pack by N3ptune, so I have .NET 3, 4 and a whole stack of updates.

Would anyone know if continuing with this machine is a dead end, or if I can do something to make the driver work? I have a few other laptops I could take a look at, but I'd like to go as far as I can with this one. Thanks :)

Edit: aAfter poking around in the driver's files, it seems my igpu just flat out isn't supported, even though every piece of info I could find online points to this processor family being Intel Atoms with integrated Ivy Bridge GT1 graphics :/

I've tried changing some of the Ivy Bridge device IDs to match mine, and at least it did install, but it always crashed and reverted to the standard VGA driver on startup. I found a driver which supports this thing, but it only support Windows 8 and upwards. I tried copying the install info that had to do with my gpu from the Win8 driver to this Win7/Vista driver, but since I haven't figured out how the files are mapped to the filesystem yet from the inf file, it failed to even install.

Will edit this post again if I get any new information, but I feel like I'm fighting an uphill battle lol

Edited by RatcheT2498
Gathered some more info

• 1 year later...

@WinClient5270 @98SE I tried installing the Graphics Driver for the Intel HD Graphics 4000 iGPU on my Acer Aspire E1-470 and it ended up messing up on the built in display:
spacer.png

Is there a way to fix this?

Edit: ended up using the drivers on eclecboard: https://forum.eclectic4un.me/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=172

Edited by AccSwtch50
Added Information about what I did to fix this problem.

6 hours ago, AccSwtch50 said:

@WinClient5270 @98SE I tried installing the Graphics Driver for the Intel HD Graphics 4000 iGPU on my Acer Aspire E1-470 and it ended up messing up on the built in display:
spacer.png

Is there a way to fix this?

My old GTX980SC looked exactly like this not long before it died. (chip failure).

On 7/10/2022 at 4:57 PM, RatcheT2498 said:

Hi, I'm new here. I'm currently trying to install Windows Vista SP2 Ultimate x64 on an Asus X553M notebook I've got lying around. It's not the oldest machine, and 100% not period appropriate (considering it came with Windows 10), but I was hoping I could make it work. According to a sticker on it, it has an Intel Pentium N3540 with 4 cores, clocked at 2.16GHz. The only information I could get about this thing is that it's a Bay Trail, which supposedly is just a lower end Ivy Bridge, and that the H4000 graphics driver should work on it.

I did successfully install Vista, and I even managed to get some drivers thanks to Snappy Driver Installer, but the graphics driver has me stumped (alongside wifi and bluetooth, but that's less of a priority in my eyes, since ethernet works well enough). I tried using the provided installer and it nearly got to the end, but it came up with an error that said "This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing this software." and quit. I would provide a log life, but I don't know where to get it (nor if the installer even created one). I tried masquerading the OS as Windows 7 SP 1 with osver.ini, but no dice. I also installed a version of the extended kernel from a pack by N3ptune, so I have .NET 3, 4 and a whole stack of updates.

Would anyone know if continuing with this machine is a dead end, or if I can do something to make the driver work? I have a few other laptops I could take a look at, but I'd like to go as far as I can with this one. Thanks :)

Edit: aAfter poking around in the driver's files, it seems my igpu just flat out isn't supported, even though every piece of info I could find online points to this processor family being Intel Atoms with integrated Ivy Bridge GT1 graphics :/

I've tried changing some of the Ivy Bridge device IDs to match mine, and at least it did install, but it always crashed and reverted to the standard VGA driver on startup. I found a driver which supports this thing, but it only support Windows 8 and upwards. I tried copying the install info that had to do with my gpu from the Win8 driver to this Win7/Vista driver, but since I haven't figured out how the files are mapped to the filesystem yet from the inf file, it failed to even install.

Will edit this post again if I get any new information, but I feel like I'm fighting an uphill battle lol

Can you use the driver here? https://forum.eclectic4un.me/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=172

• 2 weeks later...