Disable "compatibility mode" text at top?

i430VX

Hello again! 

While I can live with it, i find it annoying that it says "[Compatibility Mode]" in Office 2010 when i'm dealing with a .DOC (not docx) file. (Which is literally all of the time) 
JPV-tWW6RnGwKa53033u5g.png Any way to disable this text WITHOUT giving in and saving as DOCX? (which isn't an option, anyways due to my heavy use of earlier versions of office) 

Yes, I suppose I could just install an earlier version of office on this PC, but it doesn't bother me THAT much.

4 hours ago, i430VX said:

i find it annoying that it says "[Compatibility Mode]" in Office 2010 when i'm dealing with a .DOC (not docx) file.

Sorry, Jack, but it's telling you the truth: since Office 2007, the default actually *IS* .docx. so it actully *IS* in (legacy) compatibility mode... it's not just trying to annoy you. :P
Before you ask, the newest version I use at home is Office 2000... at work I have to bear with Office 2010, too... but, then again, I'm getting paid to bear with it and be less productive because of it (because I spend part of the time loathing it), so I really don't care that much.

I know it is actually in compatibility mode, and I was wondering if it was possible to make it still run in compatibility mode, but stop alerting me to the fact that it is. But there probably is no way to do that without stealing and editing the M$ office source code.

If it's not a signed binary, it can be done by editing the string resources, probably... but if it's signed the signature'll become invalid and should be removed.  All in all, do you think it's worth the effort?

Though it is not at all clear WHAT exactly is obtained by using it, there is a Registry setting that may (or may not) solve your issue (as said all references I found are far from being clear):

https://www.askvg.com/fix-microsoft-word-always-shows-compatibility-mode-text-in-titlebar/

https://www.thewindowsbulletin.com/how-to-fix-compatibility-mode-error-in-microsoft-word-1808/

Not even if the Compatmode key should be deleted or set to 0 (probably the latter :unsure:).

In any case it would only take a few minute to BACKUP the existing value and try changing it, to see what happens:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Word\Options

Compatmode

jaclaz