My Browser Builds (Part 1)

On 11/28/2018 at 9:19 PM, kitaro1 said:

In the basilisk, palemoon and mypal - from now on I do not want to run the google translator extension. It stopped working, The icon turns green and does not translate.

Yes, with NM28XP Browser, I see this same behavior for that same extension (the 'Red T' Google Translator one). It 'fails' and changes to a 'Green T' on any attempt to 'mark and translate' selected text. I suppose that I should be thankful that the FULL PAGE translation aspect of it is still working for me here.

Edited by TechnoRelic

12 hours ago, roytam1 said:

So is this Borealis and Interlink?

EDIT:  Never mind ....lol.  I see it inside the files now.

:)

Edited by Jody Thornton

19 hours ago, roytam1 said:

New build of BOC/UXP for XP! ... Browser-only Suite Win32

https://o.rths.cf/boc-uxp/borealis.win32-20181201-9c5ff06-uxp-d7bb17571-xpmod.7z

https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/releases

Okay, I got your (SeaMonkey) Borealis Browser working. BUT, I was NOT able to get any version of uBLOCK Origin to install on it as an ADD ON. With UBO, I tried (Firefox) versions 1.13.8, 1.13.6, 1.11.0, 1.10.0, 1.8.0, and they all failed to install. So, I gave up. Any help would be appreciated ... NM28XP working well here though, THANKS! :)

Edited by TechnoRelic

3 hours ago, TechnoRelic said:

Okay, I got your (SeaMonkey) Borealis Browser working. BUT, I was NOT able to get any version of uBLOCK Origin to install on it as an ADD ON. With UBO, I tried (Firefox) versions 1.13.8, 1.13.6, 1.11.0, 1.10.0, 1.8.0, and they all failed to install. So, I gave up. Any help would be appreciated ... NM28XP working well here though, THANKS! :)

Don't you have to go to GitHub to get the older XUL versions of uBlock now?

@roytam1 -- @Jody Thornton <--

https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/seamonkey/extensions/

Actually, I can NOT get ANY EXTENSIONS at the above (approved) URL to install in the (RT) BorealisXP Browser. But I am NOT so clever at this matters either. I am NOT even clear as to what VERSION of SEAMONKEY that the (RT) BorealisXP Browser uses it. And when I view the EXTENSIONS at the above 'SeaMonkey Extensions' URL, I see all 'Red X' icons -- (x) -- next to all of the EXTENSIONS. Indicating that they will NOT install (I assume). Which is why that I am posting here.

About 50% 'Scroll Down' at the above URL, is "firefox-legacy-1.16.4.5" listed. Which, that Extension DOES successfully install in the (RT) NM28XP Browser. But, it does FAIL for the (RT) BorealisXP Browser. And again, I cannot get ANY of these UBO Extensions (labeled LEGACY or otherwise) to install in (RT) BorealisXP Browser.

On 12/2/2018 at 7:36 PM, TechnoRelic said:

@roytam1 -- @Jody Thornton <--

https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/seamonkey/extensions/

Actually, I can NOT get ANY EXTENSIONS at the above (approved) URL to install in the (RT) BorealisXP Browser. But I am NOT so clever at this matters either. I am NOT even clear as to what VERSION of SEAMONKEY that the (RT) BorealisXP Browser uses it. And when I view the EXTENSIONS at the above 'SeaMonkey Extensions' URL, I see all 'Red X' icons -- (x) -- next to all of the EXTENSIONS. Indicating that they will NOT install (I assume). Which is why that I am posting here.

About 50% 'Scroll Down' at the above URL, is "firefox-legacy-1.16.4.5" listed. Which, that Extension DOES successfully install in the (RT) NM28XP Browser. But, it does FAIL for the (RT) BorealisXP Browser. And again, I cannot get ANY of these UBO Extensions (labeled LEGACY or otherwise) to install in (RT) BorealisXP Browser.

you have to add section to install.rdf in order to install in borealis:

<em:targetApplication>
      <Description>
        <em:id>{a3210b97-8e8a-4737-9aa0-aa0e607640b9}</em:id>
        <em:minVersion>1.0.0a1</em:minVersion>
        <em:maxVersion>1.0.0a1</em:maxVersion>
      </Description>
    </em:targetApplication>

EDIT: you may need to add(copy seamonkey-related entries, paste, and modify) entries in chrome.manifest. for example in foxyproxy standard:

copy:

# SeaMonkey
skin    foxyproxy classic/1.0 chrome/skin/
## Browser window
overlay chrome://navigator/content/navigator.xul  chrome://foxyproxy/content/firefoxOverlay.xul application={92650c4d-4b8e-4d2a-b7eb-24ecf4f6b63a}
style chrome://global/content/customizeToolbar.xul  chrome://foxyproxy/content/foxyproxy.css application={92650c4d-4b8e-4d2a-b7eb-24ecf4f6b63a}
## Messenger window
overlay chrome://messenger/content/messenger.xul  chrome://foxyproxy/content/tbirdOverlay.xul application={92650c4d-4b8e-4d2a-b7eb-24ecf4f6b63a}
style chrome://messenger/content/messenger.xul  chrome://foxyproxy/content/foxyproxy.css  application={92650c4d-4b8e-4d2a-b7eb-24ecf4f6b63a}

and change application id to {a3210b97-8e8a-4737-9aa0-aa0e607640b9} and append next to seamonkey block, save the file and update xpi archive.

Edited by roytam1

Will Roytam1 browsers work on vanilla Windows 2000 (with SP4 and the post-SP5 update that someone made on here)?  I was going to set up a Dell D610 Notebook with it, instead of Puppy Linux, and sell it.

:)

Edited by Jody Thornton

On 12/2/2018 at 5:08 AM, roytam1 said:

you have to add section to install.rdf in order to install in borealis:

<em:targetApplication>
      <Description>
        <em:id>{a3210b97-8e8a-4737-9aa0-aa0e607640b9}</em:id>
        <em:minVersion>1.0.0a1</em:minVersion>
        <em:maxVersion>1.0.0a1</em:maxVersion>
      </Description>
    </em:targetApplication>

*** Note: the 'minVersion' and 'maxVersion' values need to be CHANGED as below ***
<minVersion>0.1.0a1</minVersion>
<maxVersion>*</maxVersion>
*** Note: the 'minVersion' and 'maxVersion' values need to be CHANGED as above ***

Okay, SUCCESS here. With proper modification of INSTALL.RDF file (of the EXTENSION), I got this UBO Extension to install in the (RT) BorealisXP Browser --> uBlock0.firefox-legacy-1.16.4.5.xpi

https://perishablepress.com/hacking-firefox-extensions/

This above URL does describe the process rather well. Be SURE that you use ZIP compression when you 'recreate' your modified *.XPI file EXTENSION (archive). I used the 7ZIP program for this. And it suggested (default likely) to use 7z compression, which that FAILED to install properly (not surprisingly). Made SURE of ZIP compression on my next try for *.XPI creation, and no problem. THANKS RT !!! :)

Added: Additionally -- with the help of @VistaLover -- I was also able to get uMATRIX 1.1.4 Extension (LEGACY) to install in the (RT) BorealisXP Browser. 'VL' was able to suggest the proper TEMPLATE for addition, which varied slightly from that which worked for uBLOCK Origin -->

<!-- Borealis Navigator (uMATRIX 1.1.4) -->
        <targetApplication>
            <r:Description>
                <id>{a3210b97-8e8a-4737-9aa0-aa0e607640b9}</id>
                <minVersion>0.1.0a1</minVersion>
                <maxVersion>*</maxVersion>
            </r:Description>
        </targetApplication>

You add this 'CODE' above at the end of the INSTALL.RDF file, 'nested' properly.

I saw a Public Message from GORHILL (author of UBO and uMATRIX). He said that IF you wanted the 'Touch to Block' feature of UBO (create custom filter), and also to use uMATRIX, then just DISABLE the EASYLIST and similar 'LISTS' like that for UBO. So, only use the (custom) 'MY FILTERS' for UBO. And then, you can run *both* the UBO and uMATRIX at the same time, with reasonable CPU usage. Just offered as information, as advise from GORHILL himself. :)

Finally, I likely had a bit of 'trouble' with 'hidden invisible junk characters' that were perhaps COPIED from the CODE here. I solved this by doing a PASTE into NOTEPAD.EXE, with it in NO WRAP mode, and did SAVE the (*.XPI) CODE. THEN, I did open the full *.XPI file in WORDPAD.EXE (again NO WRAP was active), and did COPY / PASTE into the *.XPI as needed, and did SAVE that. On my first try, it did FAIL, and NOT quite sure why. But I *suspect* that 'hidden invisible garbage' type characters were present. 'VL' (user here) did advise me to use a real 'Programmers' type TEXT EDITOR (PSPad or NOTEPAD++ for examples). And then I would not see these problems as I did. Seems GOOD advise.

Edited by TechnoRelic

first post using a real non-throwaway e-mail address, so i guess now i'm here to stay :buehehe:

two questions -

1)  which version is recommended as the latest version/series WITHOUT the audio icon in the tab?

a)  palemoon-28.1.0a1.win32-git-20180922  --  the very last of the 28.1.0 series since this new "feature" was added during the 28.2.0 series?

b)  palemoon-28.2.0a1.win32-git-20181117  --  the weekly release just prior to this new "feature" being added?

2)  is there a step-by-step guide somewhere that would teach me how to compile my own weekly (and how to REMOVE the audio icon in the tab files/code)?

many thanks in advance...

On 12/2/2018 at 1:36 PM, TechnoRelic said:

I am NOT even clear as to what VERSION of SEAMONKEY that the (RT) BorealisXP Browser uses it

The Borealis Navigator is built upon the UXP platform (much like Basilisk 52[Serpent 52.9.0] and Pale Moon 28[New Moon 28.x.xa1] browsers; UXP was forked from the Mozilla ESR 52[.6.0] platform; the versions of the Seamonkey suite that build upon Mozilla ESR 52 are of the 2.49.x branch, last one released from that branch was 2.49.4 (built on Mozilla ESR 52.9.0); so, in theory at least, Borealis Navigator 1.0 should be compatible with all Seamonkey 2.49.4 compatible extensions; but there are notable exceptions: the author of BN (infamous Matt A. Tobin :angry:) has disabled support for all jetpack and WebExtensions addons, so that leaves room for only XUL Overlay and Bootstrap extensions (out of the ones compatible with SM 2.49.4); you can read more about BN in its official page:

http://binaryoutcast.com/projects/borealis/

Edited by VistaLover

@NM-Newbie

Personally, I haven't seen any degradation in the performance of New Moon 28 by the introduction of the audio-in-a-tab indicator code, which is a thing already present by default in Serpent 52.9.0 (and FirefoxESR 52.9.0); this feature was introduced by the Mozilla devs as part of the Australis GUI, to replicate Google Chrome's behaviour (and this is what Mozilla devs have kept doing over the last years: clone Chrome! :angry:); since Pale Moon does not implement the Australis GUI, that feature was missing; it was brought to PM by popular demand, as many PM users asked for that in the official forum...

Prior to this change, I, and several other users here, had been using in New Moon the Pale Moon extension Expose Noisy Tabs, which in fact shares almost the same code as the one introduced now natively in Pale/New Moon; so, if you had that addon installed in New Moon and have now updated to the latest build of it, you should disable/uninstall that addon, because; 1) it's now redundant, 2) may conflict with the native code and cause issues...

If you don't have the ENT extension installed and, for whatever personal reason, would like to disable this new native feature (audio-in-a-tab indicator), then the code that implements this feature is fully controlled by a user pref; toggling that pref should make the related code not load when NM runs; the user pref is

browser.tabs.showAudioPlayingIcon

So, load about:config?filter=showAudio in a tab, toggle the pref (to false), restart New Moon and you should be good... ;)

Edited by VistaLover

i have to highly disagree - yes, you can disable the icon from SHOWING, but the degradation in performance remains...

my platform/browser performance is HIGHLY effected by this "feature"...

you are on Vista, I am on XP - is not New Moon specifically targetted for XP-users?

i am not using "Expose Noisy Tabs" (and never will be)...

i submit that the folks that WANT this feature should continue to use the addon to provide this feature...

but that the underlying New Moon development should NOT be introducing "features" which DEGRADE its performance...

one of my computers (an Acer with an Atom processor) cannot use New Moon at all (but only one website seems to be effected - my company payroll ADP web site)...