My Browser Builds (Part 1)

11 hours ago, VistaLover said:

To test the successful functioning of Adobe Primetime CDM (as a decoder) on either Serpent (52+55) or SM under Win7 (actually Vista SP2 and higher), don't neglect to first turn off WMF in the browser's about:config ;) ; in Serpent's case (as opposed to SM), don't also neglect to turn off the ffmpeg provided patented decoders, by setting media.ffvpx.enabled to false!

Yes. Second instruction doesn't apply to "stock" SM, but if you replace SM's av .dll's with @roytam1's modded ones, it probably does. So to be safe, I set both media.wmf.enabled and media.ffvpx.enabled to false for testing.

With those settings, it appears SM works the same on Win 7 as on XP. Despite appearances, Primetime does work, but for whatever reason, it just won't appear in the list of plug-ins!

20 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

I could not get the Adobe Primetime CDM to install!

I have no idea what's wrong. All the prefs are there; the "17" subdirectory is there, but it just won't show up in about:addons/Plug-ins.

10 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

but I'm running into the same problem.

Edit: OK, just for kicks, I just tried your Instagram video without copying over modded .DLLs and it ... worked? Yet it's not showing the Primetime plug-in on about:addons/Plug-ins.... Now I'm starting to question my sanity.

Edit 2: OK, it's definitely using Primetime to play the video. If I rename the "17" folder, it doesn't play; if I rename it back to "17" (and reinstall the media.gmp-eme-adobe.version pref and set it to 17) it works again!

So the problem isn't that Primetime won't run; apparently it works just fine! The problem is simply that it won't show up in about:addons!

10 hours ago, TechnoRelic said:

But ODDLY here, the 'Adobe Primetime CDM' does NOT LIST under (ADD-ONs) the PLUGINS listing.

... Please accept my most sincere apologies, both of you :blushing:

In my dirty SM profile, the AP CDM does indeed show up in both about:plugins and about:addons/Plugins; prompted by your reports, I then created a new, clean, SM profile and applied my instructions from here to install the CDM; lo and behold, I, too, couldn't see the CDM installed in either about:plugins nor about:addons/Plugins, though, as you both confirmed, the CDM does appear to be working as intended in "silent" mode!

After comparisons between the prefs.js file on the dirty profile and the same file on the new profile, I did manage to find the culprit: My original instructions are missing one additional about:config pref:

media.gmp-provider.enabled;true (boolean)

I had added that pref in my dirty SM profile many months ago, in an attempt to install and use the WidevineCDM on SM under Vista SP2 (NPAPI Widevine on XP doesn't install/show up/work); SM, like the upstream Fx ESR 52.9.1, only supports version 1.4.8.903, which is now severely outdated and blacklisted by Google Widevine license servers :( ); this is the reason the mentioned pref was pre-existing (and overlooked :angry: ) when I started my Adobe Primetime CDM experiments in SM! The original instructions will be soon edited to remedy this omission...

hpHYxrJ.jpg

Sorry again! :rolleyes:

Edited by VistaLover

9 hours ago, TechnoRelic said:

I plan to stay with the RT BNAV Browser in any event. My OLD LAPTOP hardware and WinXP OS
seems to LIKE the RT BNAV Browser (ENGLISH Language ONLY). And NOT so sure as to what will happen with SM 2.49.5 Browser
over time (future) -->

Yes, BNav is a very lightweight browser, even lighter than NM 28; but it's based on the same UXP platform so it will continue to benefit from MCP's and @roytam1's attention.

At this very moment, I like SM better, but version 2.49 is at EOL; according to the SeaMonkey Project web site, there will be no 2.49.6. (Unless of course @roytam1 picks it up ;) ). And newer versions won't run on XP.

2 minutes ago, VistaLover said:

In my dirty SM profile, the AP CDM does indeed show up in both about:plugins and about:addons/Plugins; prompted by your reports, I then created a new, clean, SM profile and applied my instructions from here to install the CDM; lo and behold, I, too, couldn't see the CDM installed in either about:plugins nor about:addons/Plugins, though, as you both confirmed, the CDM does appear to be working as intended in "silent" mode!

After comparisons between the pref.js file on the dirty profile and the same file on the new profile, I did manage to find the culprit: My original instructions are missing one additional about:config pref:

Well, don't feel too bad; @mixit didn't mention that pref in the Primetime thread either. (Probably because, in FF and Serpent, it's there and set to true by default.)

BTW; I've been meaning to ask about Widevine. It seems to take considerable work to support a new Widevine version every time Google puts one out. I've heard that MCP is working on making Basilisk work with 1.4.10 but it's been a few months and I've heard nothing. Any news?

(Of course, 1.4.9 and up won't run on XP anyway, but I also have Win 7....)

Since there are thousands of different versions out there, I don't know which is which but I found out that this one...

http://o.rths.cf/basilisk/basilisk55-win32-git-20190824-978d4a7da-xpmod.7z

...works better than this one...

https://o.rths.cf/basilisk/basilisk52-g4.4.win32-git-20190907-6db06749e-xpmod.7z

...even though the latter one is the newer version (or seems to be the newer version, according to the date)

In the version from sept 2019 zooming in or out in google maps using the mouse wheel doesn't work (like in a much older version I found) but it does work in the version from August 2019.

On 9/13/2019 at 3:07 AM, Mathwiz said:

@mixit didn't mention that pref in the Primetime thread either. (Probably because, in FF and Serpent, it's there and set to true by default.)

Exactly!

On 9/13/2019 at 3:07 AM, Mathwiz said:

I've heard that MCP is working on making Basilisk work with 1.4.10 but it's been a few months and I've heard nothing. Any news?

Just to confuse things further, Google have done some re-versioning to their WV CDM and what were to be versions "1.4.10.xxxx" are now versions "4.10.xxxx.xx", 10 being the interface currently supported.

Interface 9 CDMs were revoked, as announced, on Aug 13th 2019 (14th, if - like me - you're in Europe) and thus official Basilisk/Serpent 52.9.0, with internal support for only WV CDM v1.4.9.1088, was broken by Google Widevine license servers (they won't serve decryption keys any longer to revoked versions of the CDM); unlike e.g. NPAPI Adobe Flash Player, you can't just upgrade the CDM and expect things to continue to work, especially when only newer "interfaces" of the CDM are current; the "guts" of the browser have also to be updated accordingly, to support the newer Widevine CDMs.

EME and WidevineCDM support in UXP (in practice, in Basilisk only) is being tracked in

https://github.com/MoonchildProductions/UXP/issues/962

Their "media" (and Linux) dev, @trav90, appears to be having some serious issues in real life, which keep him still away from contributing code in the project; despite Moonchild's plans, he had to release Basilisk 52.9.2019.09.03 without fixing its broken Widevine implementation; for Netflix and Adobe Prime, Basilisk/Serpent users will have to use SSUAOs to fake older Firefox versions and then install/use the Silverlight NPAPI plugin (more in the official forums); of course, other DRM services without a Silverlight fallback provision will be simply BROKEN!

Before Aug 13th, @roytam1's Serpent 52.9.0 (with WV v1.4.9.1088) and 360 Extreme Explorer (with WV v4.10.1196.0 manually installed) were, AFAICT, the only two working implementations of Widevine under the Vista SP2 OS; both these two WV versions have been now deprecated/revoked/blacklisted, the one current and whitelisted by WV lic servers is v4.10.1440.19; most sadly, the corresponding widevinecdm.dll file has been compiled by Google with optimizations targeting the Win7+ kernel only, so it won't work under Vista (this is easily verifiable via dependency walker in Vista); since the WV source code is a tightly kept secret, no-one can recompile it and make it again Vista compatible; so, WidevineCDM is henceforth a DEAD technology under Vista :realmad: :(

Edited by VistaLover

since there is no significant commit from upstreams, there is no build to be released tomorrow, and happy mid autumn festival!

OT: by the way, my new rig is still not fully satisfy my daily usage and I still can't swap it into my daily workstation chassis.

@Mathwiz in a recent previous message, observed --> "At this very moment, I like SM better (than RT's BNAV), but version 2.49 is at EOL; according to the SeaMonkey Project web site, there will be no 2.49.6. (Unless of course @roytam1 picks it up ). And newer versions won't run on XP." <--

YES, I was thinking the same about the notion of RT 'taking over' the SM 2.49.5 WinXP compatible Browser and Emailer in a 'FORK' situation. This might be a BETTER use of RT's TIME. In that, SM 2.49.5 Browser does currently support LANGUAGE PACKS installation. Whereas RT's BNAV Browser is ENGLISH Language ONLY at this point.

As you pointed out, BNAV Browser is VERY 'Light Weight' and works WELL here for me and my OLD LAPTOP hardware and WinXP OS. But BNAV Browser is also LIMITED on EXTENSIONS supported, and some other 'features' that SM 2.49.5 Browser has that support better. And here, SM 2.49.5 Browser works rather WELL overall too. NOW that SM 2.49.5 Browser has the INSTAGRAM Video problem solved (via the 'VL' Tweak), I plan on using it MORE here.

But I like the BNAV Browser as the most responsive one for me and my 'Hardware/WinXP' situation. Yet, IF that RT was to 'switch support' away from BNAV Browser, and move that to SM 2.49.5 Browser, I personally would SUPPORT that. Because of the LANGUAGE PACKS situation. With SM 2.49.5 Browser as a 'RT FORK' -- RT would be able to 'reach/help' a LOT more WinXP users on a GLOBAL basis. As opposed to the 'ENGLISH Language ONLY' audience that BNAV Browser has it.
------------
RT did REPLY in a Message below, and said --> "Maybe a 'one-shot' build (SM 2.49.5 Browser) can be done ... But please don't hold your breath for it." <--

My reaction is, that what RT decides to do it, is the BEST that can be done with HIS TIME and EFFORT:)

Edited by TechnoRelic

12 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

according to the SeaMonkey Project web site, there will be no 2.49.6. (Unless of course @roytam1 picks it up ;) )

24 minutes ago, TechnoRelic said:

IF that RT was to 'switch support' away from BNAV Browser, and move that to SM 2.49.5 Browser, I personally would SUPPORT that.

maybe a "one-shot" build can be done, if I can finish migrating my main workstation to new rig and I got some more free time, likely in october. (but please don't hold your breath for it)

On 9/12/2019 at 3:41 AM, TechnoRelic said:

https://msfn.org/board/topic/178259-instagram-videos-not-working-in-firefox-52-esr/page/3/?tab=comments#comment-1161357
Another (newer and easier) 'fix' for INSTAGRAM Video
(This WORKED for me with (RT ST) BK55 Browser, but NOT for SeaMonkey 2.49.5 Release)

The CSS fix posted by @mixit is indeed needed in FirefoxESR 52.9.1 and Serpent 55.0.0/Moebius, but not needed in the UXP browsers (NM28, Serpent 52.9.0, Bnavigator) and latest SeaMonkey 2.49.5, because this issue is fixed in the respective platforms - don't forget that in NM28 and St52 browsers (at least), SSUAOs are needed for instagram.com (with a Firefox version < 57.0).

19 hours ago, NoNameNeeded said:

(Asked approximately) RT ST55 Browser works better for me that ST52 Browser. Even though the ST52 Browser has a more RECENT UPDATE situation for it ... So, what about that?

I am replying so that you are not ignored. The situation is that the (BK55) ST55 Browser has a 'higher quality' JAVASCRIPT engine in it. So, as in the '55' number is greater than the '52' number. Having said that, RT only updates RARELY the ST55 Browser. The RT 'bread and butter' Browsers are NM28 and ST52 Browsers. Because they work well enough with a LOT of 'Older Age' CPUs that inhabit certain 'Older Age' Computer Hardware. RT has decided that the ST55 Browser is NOT so much a priority for him. Even though a LOT of USERS of RT's Browsers, have stated that ST55 works BETTER for them than ST52 does (myself included). But this situation on ST55 vs ST52, is RT's decision. And I just figure that RT is doing what HE thinks is BEST with his limited TIME and EFFORT. Maybe this makes the situation somewhat more clear -- maybe not.  :)
--- (Added Later Below) ...
https://msfn.org/board/topic/177125-my-build-of-new-moon-temp-name-aka-pale-moon-fork-targetting-xp/?do=findComment&comment=1170437
'Mathwiz' did REPLY to your issue too. And his answer is better than mine. So, click this URL above. ;)

Edited by TechnoRelic

https://msfn.org/board/topic/177125-my-build-of-new-moon-temp-name-aka-pale-moon-fork-targetting-xp/?do=findComment&comment=1170340

@VistaLover <--

My suggestion, is that you should UPDATE your URL (above) with this added information:

(1) media.gmp-provider.enabled;true (boolean)
Place this in the LIST that you already have it there.

(2) Include the ('sdfox7') Archive Download URLs for 'Adobe PrimeTime CDM' Plugin:
(a) http://sdfox7.com/xp/sp3/EOL/primetime_gmp_win_x86_gmc_40673.zip
(b) https://web.archive.org/web/20170718145441/http://sdfox7.com/xp/sp3/EOL/primetime_gmp_win_x86_gmc_40673.zip

That way, EVERYTHING needed to install your INSTAGRAM Video Tweak (SeaMonkey 2.49.5 Browser)
would be there in your one single message. So, a suggestion, do as YOU choose. :)

And your solution (listed above) did successfully FIX it so that 'Adobe Primetime CDM' Plugin DOES now LIST for me under ADD-ONs (Plugins) for SM 2.49.5 Browser. I did set to OFF for the AutoUpdate of it. Hopefully, you ('VL') did NOT 'use up' a great deal of your time with 'scoping out' this INSTAGRAM Video Tweak. Anyway, count me as IMPRESSED, and THANKS again! :thumbup

Edited by TechnoRelic

5 hours ago, TechnoRelic said:

The situation is that the (BK55) ST55 Browser has a 'higher quality' JAVASCRIPT engine in it. So, as in the '55' number is greater than the '52' number. Having said that, RT only updates RARELY the ST55 Browser. The RT 'bread and butter' Browsers are NM28 and ST52 Browsers. Because they work well enough with a LOT of 'Older Age' CPUs that inhabit certain 'Older Age' Computer Hardware. RT has decided that the ST55 Browser is NOT so much a priority for him. Even though a LOT of USERS of RT's Browsers, have stated that ST55 works BETTER for them than ST52 does (myself included). But this situation on ST55 vs ST52, is RT's decision. And I just figure that RT is doing what HE thinks is BEST with his limited TIME and EFFORT. Maybe this makes the situation somewhat more clear -- maybe not.  :)

The situation with Serpent 55 and 52 resembles the situation with SeaMonkey and BNav. Of each pair, the former browsers are generally better, but are no longer actively maintained by their original creators.

With Serpent 55 (and a few other browsers in the same situation, such as FF 45 ESR), @roytam1 does what he can, importing fixes from ArcticFox and other sources to keep them as up-to-date as practical. But there are no weekly updates coming from "upstream;" that's why updates to these browsers occur irregularly.

I too happen to prefer Serpent 55; for me the main difference is slightly better support of WebExtension-style add-ons, particularly the Multi-Account Containers add-on. I don't mind getting less frequent updates in exchange.

On 9/13/2019 at 5:39 PM, TechnoRelic said:

My suggestion, is that you should UPDATE your URL (above) with this added information:

(1) media.gmp-provider.enabled;true (boolean)
Place this in the LIST that you already have it there.

... But I did say:

On 9/13/2019 at 2:49 AM, VistaLover said:

this is the reason the mentioned pref was pre-existing (and overlooked :angry: ) when I started my Adobe Primetime CDM experiments in SM! The original instructions will be soon edited to remedy this omission...

... and I did keep my promise more than 24h ago ;)

On 9/12/2019 at 5:03 AM, VistaLover said:

b. Create/modify accordingly the following prefs:

browser.eme.ui.enabled;true (boolean)

You just hadn't revisited my edited post prior to posting... :} <_<

On 9/13/2019 at 5:39 PM, TechnoRelic said:

(2) Include the ('sdfox7') Archive Download URLs for 'Adobe PrimeTime CDM' Plugin:

... I opted for the original Adobe link:

On 9/12/2019 at 5:03 AM, VistaLover said:

a. [ LATER EDIT: I was kindly asked to provide here a download link for the AP CDM files; links for those do exist in the "Enable MP4 (H.264 + AAC) HTML5 video in Firefox on Windows XP without Flash" pinned thread, so it isn't like it's hard to find them; however, I have opted to provide the original official link, straight from Adobe's servers:

https://cdmdownload.adobe.com/firefox/win/x86/primetime_gmp_win_x86_gmc_40673.zip

The link is still live, just tested mere minutes ago - if you're wondering how I got there (because, tried as I might with web searches, I wasn't able to find it), it's by loading the following URI:

https://aus5.mozilla.org/update/3/GMP/51.0.1/20170125094131/WINNT_x86-msvc-x86/en-US/release/Windows_NT%206.0.2.0%20(x86)/default/default/update.xml

... which is the URI queried by the internal gmp-manager of stable Firefox 51.0.1 32-bit under Vista SP2! ]

Hope everyone's content now... :whistle:

Edited by VistaLover

On 9/13/2019 at 7:16 PM, VistaLover said:

Hope everyone's content now... :whistle:

I am "content" now ... :) ... (Next is Intended as humor) ... And let me add that -->
No GOOD DEED goes UNPUNISHED (or with no criticism) ... ;)
Seriously, THANKS again for your SM 2.49.5 Browser INSTAGRAM Video TWEAK (WinXP OS).
I am certain that you have now helped MANY WinXP OS users who will NOT ever say 'thanks' to you.

Edited by TechnoRelic