Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

roytam1

My build of New Moon (temp. name) a.k.a. Pale Moon fork targetting XP

7 hours ago, sdfox7 said:

@roytam1

Thank you for your hard work in preserving browser support on Windows 2000 and Windows XP.

One question: I encounter HTML5 issues on YouTube with your Pale Moon 26.5 for Windows 2000. Is there a workaround for this? I can always use VLC to network stream, but I was wondering what would cause this, and if there is a fix.

I am using a fully-updated Windows 2000 with all the patches through end of support in 2010.

html5pm.jpg

because youtube requires mediasource now, this will be hard to fix.

6 hours ago, i430VX said:

Have you tried installing the K-Lite codec pack, or downloading the DLLs from here (see first post if you need nosse version) into the directory where palemoon.exe lives?

I haven't personally used the browser on win2k that much but that's my guess.

PM26 doesn't use any ffmpeg/ffvpx bits(it relies on libvpx only) so this won't work.

Edited by roytam1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

Sounds like you need to install Silverlight.

I have Silverlight installed, never gotten NF to run on Pale Moon Linux or Windows. Works in FF though. Nonetheless, water under the bridge.

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

That's very strange. Should work straight off in New Moon (XP), just as it does in FF 52 ESR and SeaMonkey. (Basilisk & Serpent require a little extra work, as @VistaLover explained.) Didn't know Silverlight was available on the Pale Moon (Linux) build but if it is, I'd think it would work there too. Maybe the Netflix SSUAO is missing from the Linux build?

BTW, Waterfox sounds interesting, but it targets 64-bit Windows 7. I don't know if it's even feasible to recompile it targeting 32-bit XP (or even Vista) instead.

3 minutes ago, Mathwiz said:

That's very strange. Should work straight off in New Moon (XP), just as it does in FF 52 ESR and SeaMonkey. (Basilisk & Serpent require a little extra work, as @VistaLover explained.) Didn't know Silverlight was available on the Pale Moon (Linux) build but if it is, I'd think it would work there too. Maybe the Netflix SSUAO is missing from the Linux build?

BTW, Waterfox sounds interesting, but it targets 64-bit Windows 7. I don't know if it's even feasible to recompile it targeting 32-bit XP (or even Vista) instead.

not quite possible due to rust usage.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PROBLEMCHYLD said:

I have Silverlight installed, never gotten NF to run on Pale Moon Linux or Windows.

The Netflix screengrab you posted earlier mentions Netflix Error N8 156-6023; googling for that takes one to

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/200

The error you're seeing is related to the Silverlight plug-in, which Netflix uses to play TV shows and movies on your computer.
This error is usually caused by one of three things:

1. A computer setting preventing Silverlight from storing files it needs to play your TV show or movie
2. An issue with the Silverlight plug-in itself

Make sure you have the very latest version of Silverlight 5 installed (5.1.50918.0); if you're on XP, read this
First uninstall whichever Silverlight version already installed (if older) and then, for good measure, restart your system.
Install the latest version; head to Start -> All programs -> Microsoft Silverlight (folder) -> Microsoft Silverlight (shortcut)
and in the third tab (Playback) be sure to check "Enable download and updates to components required for protected content playback":

SU1C0QK.jpg

Then, in the last tab (Application Storage), make sure "Enable application storage" is checked:

ptNXqRv.jpg

Exit the Silverlight Configuration manager.

I would test myself with a new, clean profile of New Moon 28 (you can back up your existing profile just for this test and restore it afterwards) to exclude any interference from user modified browser settings and/or extension interactions...
Visit "about:addons -> plugins" and configure Silverlight to Always Activate.

Check your Silverlight installation at http://www.radioactivepages.com/
If your Silverlight installation is in working order, then the (mechanical) clockwork on the top left should be moving:

3FaaJp9.jpg

Time now to head over at the Netflix site; unfortunately, I don't have a (paid) account with them, so I can't move on past this point (I also searched - in vain - for a free, sample, Netflix video clip, but none showed up in my searches... :realmad:). 

After signing in and choosing a video for streaming, Silverlight should hopefully ask you to "play protected content"; say yes and it should just do that! (a bit of positive thinking never hurts in these cases :P)

I honestly hope I've helped... ;)

4 hours ago, roytam1 said:

PM26 doesn't use any ffmpeg/ffvpx bits(it relies on libvpx only) so this won't work.

Ahhhh, I see, sorry for the confusion 

4 hours ago, roytam1 said:

because youtube requires mediasource now, this will be hard to fix.

What a pity, there are millions of obsolete computers that Google/YouTube won't be able to data-mine from! :buehehe:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, roytam1 said:

not quite possible due to rust usage.

As far as I remember ff56 uses little bit of rust so we may revert them with code of bk55

1 hour ago, VistaLover said:

New Moon 28 and/or Serpent 52.9.0 also at peril? 

https://github.com/binaryoutcast/binoc-central/issues/73#issuecomment-467662459

(part of the binoc-central #73 thread...)

:(:angry:

Wouldn't it be just a matter of changing the name? That seems to be one of the complaints. There would be no more weekly updates, we'd have to wait until the official release for any bug fixes etc. to be applied by the sound of it. 

Hopefully just bumps in the road rather than killing what are obviously better builds than their releases. That's probably what's eating at them.   

Edited by DanR20

2 minutes ago, DanR20 said:

Wouldn't it be just a matter of changing the name? That seems to be one of the complaints. There would be no more weekly updates, we'd have to wait to until the official release for any bug fixes etc. to be applied by the sound of it. 

Hopefully just bumps in the road rather than killing what are obviously better builds than their releases. That's probably what's eating at them.   

actually not only the name, relevant artworks have to be replaced.

on UXP side, binaries from unmodified UXP tree without "--enable-official" switch can be distributed from my understanding.

3 minutes ago, roytam1 said:

on UXP side, binaries from unmodified UXP tree without "--enable-official" switch can be distributed from my understanding.

So would this mean you could carry on with the weekly UXP updates?

35 minutes ago, Dibya said:

As far as I remember ff56 uses little bit of rust so we may revert them with code of bk55

actually quite alot. also there're many google upstream changes breaking old windows compatibility.

you may check my https://github.com/roytam1/firefox55norust for reference. (I still can't get a working binary(binary builds but crashes in win7) for new windows with --disable-rust switch supplied)

Just now, DanR20 said:

So would this mean you could carry on with the weekly UXP updates?

why not?

issue encounters in boc-uxp binaries, of course I can pull them down (but I think mailnews binaries should be fine, borxp may not)

and for seamonkey-related artworks, I don't think there is an issue.

• Like 1