My Browser Builds (Part 1)

New regular/weekly KM-Goanna release:
https://o.rths.cf/kmeleon/KM76.2-Goanna-20190928.7z

Changelog:

Out-of-tree changes:
* update Goanna3 to git ee8a0010a..3f92ddedb:
repo changes since my last build:
- import changes from rmottola/Arctic-Fox:
 - Bug 1153649 part 1 - Improve usability of OwningNonNull; r=bz (287b867a8)
 - Bug 1153649 part 2 - Use some OwningNonNull in editor; r=ehsan (fd3052865)
 - Bug 1153649 part 3 - More OwningNonNull improvements; r=bz (95614eea9) (3f92ddedb)

* Notice: the changelog above may not always applicable to XULRunner code which K-Meleon uses.

A goanna3 source tree that has kmeleon adaption patch applied is available here: https://github.com/roytam1/palemoon27/tree/kmeleon76

Reset-Error NM27 SSE any versions back one month.
"Informations for Error-workaround or similar(dont know what will show english version. here it is in german:
Informationen zur Fehlerbehebung. Thats the trigger ontop for a PM/NM-Reset.

Wanted to reset and install newest version clean. But cannot thanks to this error:
XML-Verarbeitungsfehler: Nicht-definierte Entität Adresse: jar:file:///E:/PC/BROWSER/Newmoon/palemoon-27.9.6.win32-git-20190928-3f92ddedb-xpmod-sse/palemoon/omni.ja!/chrome/toolkit/content/global/aboutSupport.xhtml Zeile Nr. 166, Spalte 15:
              &aboutSupport.appBasicsServiceWorkers;

@3dreal: Please UNINSTALL the German language pack first, restart the NM27 browser and then proceed with resetting it!

The cause of the error reported is that the last official language packs for Pale Moon 27.9.4 are no longer fully compatible with latest New Moon 27.9.6 :(

Arctic-Fox changes imported by @roytam1 (specifically, implementation of service workers in Tycho, a feature not present in the original platform maintained by MCP) introduced new strings in the about:support internal page, which are missing in official (and no longer maintained) PM27 language packs - in order for the outdated PM27 LPs to be compatible with latest NM27, they have to be updated with the missing strings!

Regards

Edited by VistaLover

Found the answer in a german palemoon-forum. Could solve by starting in safemode and resetting only user preferences. english version now visible. yes will remove german LP.
I can now start with implementations from scratch.
BTW: Wanted to update my Sticky(what must be done to have everything integrated). have very little time and the installer-problem/question for my SSE had not yet been answered. something happened when i tried the installer but i have no clues what was going on. Maybe a readme for the installer would be wise. Thanks
I am still on my 200gb-drive and not on a second backup 1TB-drive. PM/NM quite stable/not always. explorer-crashes from time to time. highest time for a backup!

Edited by 3dreal

On 9/26/2019 at 3:36 AM, UCyborg said:

I simply think utility of Basilisk would be improved if it also supported FUEL. I have a suspicion that it's another feature that Mozilla recklessly purged.

If feasible, adding back FUEL would expand the number of extensions that Serpent could run a bit. I have no clue how easy/hard it would be to revert changes from so long ago (pre-UXP) though. IIRC the Javascript engine was completely redone around the same time, so it may just not be practical.

Maybe @roytam1 can take a look and tell us how practical that might be.

As for Mozilla removing FUEL, remember that a year or so later, they went on to remove support for all pre-WE extensions, forcing every one of them to be rewritten. It doesn't seem as if they care about keeping unmaintained apps alive.

3 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

If feasible, adding back FUEL would expand the number of extensions that Serpent could run a bit. I have no clue how easy/hard it would be to revert changes from so long ago (pre-UXP) though. IIRC the Javascript engine was completely redone around the same time, so it may just not be practical.

maybe reverting this commit will work, but I haven't actually tested this yet.

https://hg.mozilla.org/releases/mozilla-esr52/rev/27b8c20eeacb289f2a5dea94c1d4c20931ffb72c

Is there any way to New Moon from clearing cache of all sites, instead of just the one I want to remove, whenever I click "Forget this site" (or w/e it's called in english) on any site in my browsing history?

Edited by Kwasiarz
Didn't make myself clear the first time

6 hours ago, Kwasiarz said:

Is there any way to New Moon from clearing cache whenever I click "Forget this site" (or whatever it's called in English) on any site in my browsing history?

Apologies, but I don't quite get the gist of your question... :dubbio:

The "Forget about this site" context menu entry in a history entry actually has the following functions:

(... from https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/delete-browsing-search-download-history-firefox )

=============================================

Remove a single website from your history

1. Click the Library button , click History and then click the Show All History bar at the bottom to open the Library window.

2. Search for the website you want to remove from your history by typing its name in the Search History field in the top-right corner and then pressing Enter.

3. Then, in the search results, right-click on the site you want to remove, and select Forget About This Site.

All history items (browsing and download history, cookies, cache, active logins, passwords, saved form data, exceptions for cookies, images, pop-ups) for that site will be removed.

2011-02-03-06-25-59-2e196c.png

Finally, close the Library window.

=============================================

In what way(s) do you want to modify the above functionality?

Also, info about a related query:

What is the difference between "Delete" & "Forget about this site" when deleting a single item in the 'History'?

Hi, 'Delete This Page' removes the site (i.e. from browsing history, only). 'Forget About This Site' removes the site and everything connected with it.

Using "Forget About This Site" will remove all data stored in Firefox from that domain like bookmarks, cookies, passwords, cache, history, and exceptions, so be cautious and if you have a password or other data from that domain that you do not want to lose then make sure to backup this data or make a note.

You can't recover from this 'forget' unless you have a backup of the involved files.

It doesn't have any lasting effect, so if you revisit such a 'forgotten' website then data from that website will be saved once again.

FWIW, if you don't want NM to store any info about specific sites you visit, there's always a NEW PRIVATE WINDOW (or New Private Tab, if you're willing to install an additional extension) ... ;)

Regards :)

Edited by VistaLover

OT: while using win7 x64, I found win7's image viewer is unsatisfied for my usage, found a XP/2003 image viewer wrapper with source code, forked it and made 64bit build.

original source: https://habr.com/en/post/437436/

my fork with 64bit build: https://github.com/roytam1/shimgvw-wrapper/releases/tag/r191003

(actually 2003's shimgvw.dll is better on displaying GIF images than XP's one)

Edited by roytam1

That article offered some insight into why it can be hard for developers to continue to support Windows XP while also supporting newer versions:

The shimgvw.dll implicitly imports some deprecated shell functions from the shunimpl.dll, and the latter library refuses to load if there is no ATOM “FailObsoleteShellAPIs” (otherwise it loads properly, but the obsolete functions return error codes). Windows XP compatibility mode adds this ATOM (in addition to a lot of other things), that's why the image viewer is able to run in this mode.

Long story short: if you target XP, your program might not run on Windows 7 unless you set "XP compatibility" mode; but if you target Win 7, it might not run on XP at all!

Of course if you avoid functions deprecated prior to XP, your program will probably run on both OSes, but then you can't target older OSes (Win2k?) where you had to use those deprecated functions. So it's possible to make a program that runs on both XP and 7, but not earlier.

And if you want to target Win 10, a similar dynamic probably comes into play: if you don't want Win 10 users to have to set "Win 7 compatibility," you have to avoid XP functions that were deprecated with Win 7, so your program can't run on XP.

FUEL in Destroy the Web extension specifically is used only for managing its preferences and there's a specific call made to figure out if extension has been run for the first time. I don't know if there's a better way, but some other extensions I have just add a preference that say if extension has already been launched for the first time. Those things are easily done without FUEL. Though some issues not related to FUEL still remain (errors coming from animation code). I'll try to figure it out.

12 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

The shimgvw.dll implicitly imports some deprecated shell functions from the shunimpl.dll, and the latter library refuses to load if there is no ATOM “FailObsoleteShellAPIs” (otherwise it loads properly, but the obsolete functions return error codes). Windows XP compatibility mode adds this ATOM (in addition to a lot of other things), that's why the image viewer is able to run in this mode.

The description of FailObsoleteShellAPIs shim that can be read using Compatibility Administartor (32-bit) says:

Some applications call obsolete private shell32 API's which are no longer supported. This compatibility fix implements those functions with stubs that fail. Functions handled in this manner are the FileMenu_* functions plus those which were retired between Windows XP and Windows Vista.

Devs are not supposed to use APIs that are meant only for internal use by the OS or the accompanying applications. :rolleyes: So Windows XP's image viewer is a bit special, because Microsoft, but normal applications shouldn't rely on those. Although there are at least some exceptions; there are entries in compatibility database that tell the OS to apply FailObsoleteShellAPIs to said exceptions. There could be more though that need it to run on newer systems.

Edited by UCyborg

New regular/weekly KM-Goanna release:
https://o.rths.cf/kmeleon/KM76.2-Goanna-20191005.7z

Changelog:

In-tree changes:
- updates from siria:
 - fix for the BROKEN FRAMES setting in F2>KMPREFS
 - Fix for broken Frames toggle in menu Tools > Privacy > Block Frames (204a075b)

Out-of-tree changes:
* update ES locale from http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?20,144672
* update RU locale from http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?20,144981,150059#msg-150059

A goanna3 source tree that has kmeleon adaption patch applied is available here: https://github.com/roytam1/palemoon27/tree/kmeleon76

5 hours ago, jumper said:

SHUNIMPL.dll could be patched to not fail on load if ( !FindAtomW(L"FailObsoleteShellAPIs") ).

yes but it may not be good to patch win7/8/8.1/10 x86/x64 shunimpl.dll for that.