My Browser Builds (Part 1)

19 hours ago, trimis said:

Serpent plays videos, but most of the time the sound is screwed up (as in talking in slow-mo).

It's been a longstanding issue with the built-in h.264 (actually that's video; the audio codec that causes the issue is probably AAC) support. It works fine with most PCs, but some have the audio issue you described.

Try installing the Adobe Primetime CDM  and disabling the built-in support (set media.ffvpx.enabled to false). That's fixed the issue for others.

Edit: Oops; @VistaLover beat me to it!

Edited by Mathwiz

9 hours ago, VistaLover said:

It appears I am at fault and that - in the case of NM28 vs St52 - it's a feature only present at application level (?); no doubt FUEL is still present in NM27/Tycho (FxESR 38 based), most probably it was carried over when Pale (New) Moon was ported to UXP :dubbio:; I guess Moonchild is the one to confirm this... 

My suspicion confounded by one (@adesh) of the MCP team of developers:

https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?p=175532&sid=831a96dffc8894f34347620b222a2c6d#p175532

So, UXP (Fx ESR 52 derived) lacks FUEL (removed in Fx 47), hence the same applies to Basilisk/Serpent 52.

Pale Moon 28 carries over FUEL from its predecessor Pale Moon 27, FUEL itself survives the porting thanks to Matt A. Tobin (!):

https://github.com/MoonchildProductions/UXP/issues/1083

(deprecate != remove)

I simply think utility of Basilisk would be improved if it also supported FUEL. I have a suspicion that it's another feature that Mozilla recklessly purged. It did survive for several years. I understand that it might not be the best way to do extensions today, but it would come in handy for older ones. I wonder if it's the kind of thing that would be a burden to support in Basilisk of today.

On 9/23/2019 at 6:13 PM, VistaLover said:

... If the CPU there has SSE2 support, you can always try running (if you haven't yet ;)) the latest New Moon 28 (32-bit/64-bit) / UXP for which, to the best of my knowledge, the officially provided Russian LP should work OK:

https://github.com/JustOff/pale-moon-localization/releases/download/28.7.0_RC3/ru.xpi

To install it, after saving the XPI on disk, it may be necessary to modify its install.rdf file, from

<em:maxVersion>28.7.*</em:maxVersion>

to

<em:maxVersion>28.8.*</em:maxVersion>

(since latest NM28 is at version 28.8.0a1 already...).

BTW, did the suggested 27.x ru.xpi work at all in NM27?

Greetings :)

28.8.0 is too bloated.

And ru.xpi doesnt work. It installs but the browser is still in english (does this have something to do with the Dark Moon 2.0.0 theme?)

Edited by GlowingLights

3 minutes ago, GlowingLights said:

28.8.0 is too bloated.

And ru.xpi doesnt work. It installs but the browser is still in english (does this have something to do with the Dark Moon 2.0.0 theme?)

Obvious thing, but make sure you set the language in about:config (useragent.locale value being 'ru') and restart.

> Oh crap, Tobin's here.. what insanity does he have this time?

WELL non-existant but likely quote, I am gonna clarify both the Navigator version reduction and the deal with FUEL.

The reason the version was changed to a lower version is because I intend to start making releases of what is essentially an unfinished product and thus isn't 1.0 quality. I announced this would be happening eventually some months ago but other priorities have delayed it. When it does happen, consider it a public beta and technology preview with a goal of reaching a true 1.0 status.

As for fuel.. As Australis Technology progressed, FUEL was an ancient developmental burden in the eyes of Firefox developers. It was eventually depercated and removed from Firefox. Proper Basilisk comes from a time where FUEL was long gone and the Australis Technology progressed (or is that regressed) the specific capabilities of the browser application code. It doesn't make much sense with the custom Australis Based UI of the main window. As for its deprecation in Pale Moon.. As you may know, the specific Application code for Pale Moon 28 is actually an uplifted and evolved form of code that started life in 2013 as Firefox 24 modified for Pale Moon 24 though 26, ported to Tycho for Pale Moon 27, and ported again to UXP for Pale Moon 28. There is absolute continuity for the application specific code from 2013 to today regardless of the platform codebase. This has been my design and the bulk of my research and contribution over the past five years. Pale Moon has stayed Pale Moon as I have promised so shall it is.

I considered removing FUEL but decided against it for extension compatibility reasons and instead added a deprecation warning so that forks and new extensions do not use the component. It is not outside the realm of possibility it could be removed at a future date but it is exceedingly improbable.

Think what you will about me and how I conduct my self but truth be told I have been the driving force for years in ensuring as much compatibility with extensions as reasonably can be achieved and the general continuity of Pale Moon AS what everyone expects Pale Moon to be. Without that influence over the years, I shudder to think what might have happened. Likely potential eventualities may have followed a path similar to the likes of Cyberfox and Waterfox. We shall never know because not only will my influence never be wiped out and I shall never be stopped from continuing forward on the path I helped to lay out.

Sometimes you have to accept the good with the bad and perhaps I am neither.. Or perhaps I am all those things and more.

1 hour ago, Matt A. Tobin said:

I considered removing FUEL but decided against it for extension compatibility reasons and instead added a deprecation warning so that forks and new extensions do not use the component.

I think that's exactly right. FUEL isn't something new or updated add-ons should ever use, but it's good to leave it in PM (and hence NM) so that extensions that did use it (but that are no longer being maintained) can still run.

Speaking of which....

Others may disagree, but I don't have a problem with this. TLS 1.2 has been recommended since 2008; by now, every Web server should support it.

The concern I have, though, is that this industry-wide move will encourage even more Web sites to disable TLS 1.0 and 1.1. That's not a problem with desktop browsers (even XP supports TLS 1.2 with the appropriate patches), but it's a big problem for users of older mobile devices, since mobile apps rely on the OS to provide TLS support, the OS on these devices cannot always be updated (particularly with Android), and many mobile devices were shipped without TLS 1.2 support through at least 2012.

I know that the Powers That Be have decreed that everyone shall throw their old mobile devices in the trash and buy brand-new ones every year or two, but that's always rubbed me the wrong way. Online banking is one thing, but if I'm just downloading a podcast that's available to the public anyhow, I don't mind not using "current and recommended cipher suites."

3 hours ago, Matt A. Tobin said:

> Oh crap, Tobin's here.. what insanity does he have this time?

WELL non-existant but likely quote, I am gonna clarify both the Navigator version reduction and the deal with FUEL.
(snipped)
Sometimes you have to accept the good with the bad and perhaps I am neither

@Matt A. Tobin: This is the first time I have "liked" one of your posts here, and that was because no "insanity" whatsoever was contained in it, no name-calling, no other profanity, no looking down on unbranded fork users etc. :thumbup I, for one, have been very careful not to call the "forks" by their upstream names, whenever I mentioned Pale Moon and/or Basilisk here (i.e. official branding), I was explicitly referring to them... 

Of course, the chasm that exists between this community and you, basically because of "what" was exchanged in the past (from both sides ;)), will be difficult to bridge, and I am still uncertain whether you have any intent yourself towards this goal... However, at least for me, future contributions like your last one, with insightful and helpful content, will be welcome! :)

Greetings

Well I am not gonna lie to you.. It helps to not p*** me off. I am well aware of my flaws. I am also aware that the bulk of what you have experienced from me here has been negative. But as I alluded to that isn't the totality of reality. Posts like the last one I have been making for years and years on the Pale Moon forums. But like here, people do have a tendency to p*** me off when they don't listen or try to understand basic concepts.

However, I am also still against there still not being branding and specifically still not happy that trunk and/or unreleased code that happens to exist is being distributed. Branding would be an instafix. I might even help you on occasion.

I have been exploring this stuff for over 10 years and have been actively involved in stuff for over five years. I know a lot. AND I know something else.. As far as the applications in binoc-central are concerned... I can help you a lot more than what will ever be be permitted in the UXP repo.

Here is what I am going to offer to you roytam1 et all: Formulate branding for Navigator and Mail (a large size png logo and a name) and start building following defacto release code and I will do the work upstream to implement the branding it plus his patches under the ifdef XP_WHISTLER. That way there is less of a burden downstream and maybe roytam1 can establish a more legit (in my eyes) thing.

You will still have to use your modified UXP but you could start to use binoc-central as-is.

BONUS: Do it for Pale Moon and Basilisk too and I will actually support your efforts to any XP Users and add you as non-aligned on thereisonlyxul.org. I will also teach and help you setup facilities like aus, the blocklist, etc.

Allow me to reiterate: Branding and using release code rather than trunk code and you guys can rise and serve the Windows XP (and Vista I guess) Community in a way that has yet to be seen. You have this chance once again. I'd suggest you not squander the opportunity.

Edited by Matt A. Tobin

16 hours ago, Matt A. Tobin said:

BONUS: Do it for Pale Moon and Basilisk too and I will actually support your efforts to any XP Users and add you as non-aligned on thereisonlyxul.org. I will also teach and help you setup facilities like aus, the blocklist, etc.

We have tried to do that to Serpent 52 and 55. Did you see what was done? If not, dowload the latest iterations of those two, take a look, and help us understand what more should we do to reach a point yuo'd deem satisfactory, please. It's good to have you around (when not in a ballistic mode, that is)! :yes:

4 hours ago, dencorso said:

We have tried to do that to Serpent 52 and 55. Did you see what was done? (snipped) and help us understand what more should we do to reach a point you'd deem satisfactory,

... Actually, den, we haven't tried to do "that" at all :(; what was in fact done, thanks to personal effort by @Mathwiz :thumbup, was to simply redirect "upstream" references (links, mostly) found inside the forks' (NM+Serpent) interface from the official locations (e.g. support forums) to, as an interim solution, primarily this very MSFN thread, to be replaced in the future by a more dedicated help site, if/when @roytam1 finds personal time to set up such a facility... Those steps were taken as a stop-gap solution to deter "clueless" (this was my own personal characterisation) fork users from (accidentally?) seeking support through the official upstream channels (which is a thing known to vex immensely the upstream devs) ...

What Matt A. Tobin has always asked for, from the very start, was proper rebranding of the forked browsers/applications, especially where it concerns the forks derived from the official Binary Outcast repository (i.e. from official Interlink & Borealis Navigator apps); proper rebranding entails the complete change of the "generic" fork names (currently New Moon & Serpent, citing only MCP apps), accompanied by new artwork for each fork, different to the existing "generic" fork artwork currently put in place by the upstream team... More like calling New Moon "Sophia Loren" and Serpent "Marcello Mastroianni" :whistle:, with appropriate artwork changes... :rolleyes:

Edited by VistaLover

OT: the realtek hdaudio driver goes strange and have no sound. kept busy fixing it in the morning but no actual result. finally workarounded by using MS driver instead.

Edited by roytam1

New New Moon 27 Build!

32bit https://o.rths.ml/palemoon/palemoon-27.9.6.win32-git-20190928-3f92ddedb-xpmod.7z
32bit SSE https://o.rths.ml/palemoon/palemoon-27.9.6.win32-git-20190928-3f92ddedb-xpmod-sse.7z
32bit noSSE https://o.rths.ml/palemoon/palemoon-27.9.6.win32-git-20190928-3f92ddedb-xpmod-ia32.7z

64bit https://o.rths.ml/palemoon/palemoon-27.9.6.win64-git-20190928-3f92ddedb-xpmod.7z

source repo: https://github.com/roytam1/palemoon27

repo changes since my last build:
- import changes from rmottola/Arctic-Fox:
 - Bug 1153649 part 1 - Improve usability of OwningNonNull; r=bz (287b867a8)
 - Bug 1153649 part 2 - Use some OwningNonNull in editor; r=ehsan (fd3052865)
 - Bug 1153649 part 3 - More OwningNonNull improvements; r=bz (95614eea9) (3f92ddedb)

Edited by roytam1