My Browser Builds (Part 1)

Probably need to contact CloudFlare. Sounds like their network is fouled up somewhere between Rome and wherever o.rths.cf is (Wikipedia says .cf is Central African Republic, but that seems unlikely. More likely, the CAR is letting CloudFlare use their TLD for a fee.)

It is interesting to consider that I use 2 distinct DNS between primary and secondary.
Cloudflare DNS as secondary.
AdGuard DNS as primary:

ESo2LXYJ_o.jpg

flrrsag7_o.jpg

P.S. Also see the test with the smartphone.
Cloudflare (London) not Rome.

Edited by Sampei.Nihira

Your PC is going to use the primary DNS first; the secondary DNS only if it doesn't get a response from the primary one.

Does your smart phone also use the AdGuard DNS?

And I ask again:

18 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

did you try a ping? Did you get the same results as @VistaLover?

5 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

And I ask again:

On 7/28/2019 at 5:19 AM, Mathwiz said:

did you try a ping? Did you get the same results as @VistaLover?

... But he did already :P :

The command prompt is in Italian, but I can tell you he passed the test (which is even more peculiar, given he can't access the hostname in a browser :dubbio:); only difference to mine is I pinged IP 104.27.137.100 (from Greece), while he pinged the alternate IP 104.27.136.100 (from Italy) ... :rolleyes:

Edited by VistaLover

9 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

Your PC is going to use the primary DNS first; the secondary DNS only if it doesn't get a response from the primary one.

Does your smart phone also use the AdGuard DNS?

And I ask again:

No,
The smartphone has the predefined DNS.

For me it is their servers that have some problems:

OZkJvYv5_o.jpg

Edited by Sampei.Nihira

16 hours ago, VistaLover said:

only difference to mine is I pinged IP 104.27.137.100 (from Greece), while he pinged the alternate IP 104.27.136.100 (from Italy)

Well, any difference needs to be tested. Like you I get 104.27.137.100. So, I used my hosts file to force my browser to access 104.27.136.100 instead when I enter o.rths.cf in the address bar. Perhaps the .136. one was down?

But both IP addresses work, so both server IPs are on-line. The issue is neither with the DNS, nor the server; it must be with CloudFlare's routing.

So I say again:

On 7/28/2019 at 11:12 AM, Mathwiz said:

Probably need to contact CloudFlare. Sounds like their network is fouled up somewhere between Rome Europe (including Rome, and at least for the next few months, London; let's not get hung up on the difference between the PC's local CloudFlare node and the smart phone's, OK?) and wherever o.rths.cf is. (Wikipedia says .cf is the Central African Republic, but the CAR is probably just letting CloudFlare use their TLD for a fee.) 

In the meantime I'm afraid @Sampei.Nihira will just have to use the Web proxy he found.

Edited by Mathwiz

On 7/20/2019 at 6:59 AM, sparty411 said:

Is BOC (BNAV) a replacement for New Moon?

One aspect of BNAV (BOC) Browser is that the DEFAULT THEME does NOT have it where the ACTIVE Browser TAB is (differently) more brightly colored than the other TABS. I addressed that issue here at this URL below:
https://msfn.org/board/topic/177125-my-build-of-new-moon-temp-name-aka-pale-moon-fork-targetting-xp/page/146/?tab=comments#comment-1164249

My view (as 'Mathwiz' said), it is a matter of preference between NM28 vs BNAV (BOC) Browsers. I have both of these Browsers installed here. And I have better luck with SP55 Browser than SP52 Browser. No substitute for 'hands on' testing?  :)

My above URL here gives reference for modifying SeaMonkey LANGUAGE PACKS to work
with BNAV (BOC) Browser. RT did explain how to do it.

Edited by TechnoRelic

@roytam1

Using latest Serpent52 win32 build, I loaded

https://www.bbc.co.uk/taster/pilots/casualty-ae-audio/try

but the embedded web player fails to load:

FuvJlg1.jpg

For debugging purposes, I disabled uBlock0; no other content/script blocker used.

OTOH, latest 360ExtremeExplorer (11.0.2140.0) has no issues loading it (and playing back the clip):

pztfc7g.jpg

The issue I experienced might well be Javascript and/or CSS related; the workaround I found is right-click the empty web player and select "This Frame => Show Only This Frame" :

wRSlJk1.jpg

Any suggested fix would be welcome :) ; ultimately, if it is reproducible in official Serpent 52.9.2019.06.08, it should be submitted to the official forums; mind you, it is only available for a month or so... :(

Edited by VistaLover

I managed to break FF52-based Basilisk(instacrash on startup), so I moved session to the less updated FF55-based branch where I was able to start and undo settings.
Here, they just seem to reduce performance(at least in Discord).

I was unable to view webgl on some site, in FF52 Basilisk, so I decided to toy around with about:config settings, then restarted browser. Crash.
One of these(or a combo thereof), broke the browser:
- layers.acceleration.force-enabled: true
- layers.prefer-opengl: true
- webgl.force-enabled: true

My config is:
- gpu: nVIDIA Quadro 600, driver version 368.81

Edited by 404notfound

3 hours ago, 404notfound said:

I was unable to view webgl on some site, in FF52 Basilisk, so I decided to toy around with about:config settings, then restarted browser. Crash.
One of these(or a combo thereof), broke the browser:
- layers.acceleration.force-enabled: true
- layers.prefer-opengl: true
- webgl.force-enabled: true

My config is:
- gpu: nVIDIA Quadro 600, driver version 368.81

It was likely the highlighted one. I have XP x64 install with same NVIDIA driver version, though a different GPU (GeForce GTX 750 Ti) and this one just makes the browser crash in xul.dll.

Also, just having hardware acceleration enabled in Preferences makes the experience beyond awful. Moving the browser to the secondary screen just makes the whole browser stutter; videos stutter, animations stutter, heck, even mouse cursor gets laggy. Same issue with Firefox 52. And to top it off, having browser opened for longer time and invoking other applications utilizing hardware acceleration quickly makes the browser memory usage increase rapidly, then it crashes in d3d9.dll. When whatever causes rapid memory usage occurs, the state becomes corrupted to the point that if I manage to restore its window, the entire window client area is already messed up (just blackness).

Having hardware acceleration disabled has some weird effect on font rendering in certain cases, so far, I only noticed it on YouTube's player.

Anyway, @404notfound, the pref you're probably looking for is webgl.disable-angle.