My Browser Builds (Part 1)

attention to anyone who uses my installer:
My server may have been compromised. It is shut down now following some strange behavior that started to happen a few hours ago. i have no reason to believe any files were compromised, but if you have downloaded anything from my server in the past few hours, I encourage you to do a FULL AV scan on your computer.
by tomorrow i will hopefully figure out whats happening with it and bring it back online once i make sure it's safe.

...yes, this does mean that my installer wont work as it depends on a text file on my server. sorry for any inconvenience

as I said, this is out of an abundance of caution, Just take care and make sure your stuff is safe.

Edited by i430VX

On 6/8/2019 at 1:23 PM, TechnoRelic said:

The above URL (from you) SEEMED to load and work okay here in the latest NM28 Browser version.
But I did not try EVERYTHING with it. It had 'Build a Bundle' options and like that, fairly complex.
I did NOT use those. IF you are using WinXP OS, maybe running CHKDSK.EXE would help.

I run chkdsk.exe every time I turn on this old WinXP x86 machine. So hard disk corruption is not the problem.

I also run Speedyfox from time to time to compact the databases of all the browsers on my machine. It seems to speed up loading of the browsers.

I am not sure, but Speedyfox MIGHT also remove minor corruption from the databases.

It is freeware and seems to work well, but may require a little attention to be sure it doesn't miss any of your databases. I recommend it highly:
https://www.crystalidea.com/speedyfox/

On 6/8/2019 at 7:41 PM, Mathwiz said:

https://www.subaru.com/vehicles/outback/models.html/OBK-compare-wrapper-modal doesn't seem to render quite right in Serpent 55, or in an earlier NM version (2019-05-10) either (the details are shifted rightward wrt the headings, and the chart is too wide but there's no scroll bar). So it could be a problem common to all UXP-platform browsers.

Or it may just be my specific setup. I have this particular PC zoomed up to 150%, and that's caused occasional problems of this kind before. I'll try it with my more "standard" work PC Monday.

I will repeat the problematic webpage link below to make this thread easier to follow:

https://www.subaru.com/vehicles/outback/models.html/OBK-compare-wrapper-modal

The six-column chart does not render properly in either the latest versions of New Moon 28.6.0a1.win32 or 27.9.6.win32. The same problem existed in earlier versions of New Moon.

The best way to see the display issue is to compare how the chart renders in a Chrome clone browser. Then the issue will be obvious.

I am neither a programmer nor a web designer, so the cause of the problem is completely mysterious to me.

Thanks to both of you for your interest.

Alright, so about my server issue: FALSE ALARM. Nothing was compromised 

As a precaution more security is in place now, though.

I’ll hopefully have it back up tomorrow (therefore my installer for roys builds will work again)

sorry for any inconvenience about that

On 6/9/2019 at 12:16 AM, Happy_Rabbit said:

https://www.subaru.com/vehicles/outback/models.html/OBK-compare-wrapper-modal

This six-column chart does not display properly in latest version of New Moon 28.6.0a1.win32

please get a win7 or later and test the page with official version of palemoon to see if the bug happens in my builds only or not.

Edited by roytam1

1 hour ago, roytam1 said:

please get a win7 or later and test the page with official version of palemoon to see if the bug happens in my builds only or not.

I do not have access to Win7, so I tried the website link in palemoon-26.5.0.Atom.WinXP.installer.exe, the last official version which will run under WinXP.

The webpage link seems to render correctly.

Thanks for your interest and excessive hard work.

A friend of mine is fixing a computer that a costumer gave him and he installed serpent on it, but he wants it to auto update in background so he wouldn't bother with manually updating so, is  it possible to make some sort of plugin/extension so it would support Chrome/Firefox-style background automatic updating?

4 hours ago, Happy_Rabbit said:

(Is trying to get NM28 Browser working on a rendering problem under WinXP OS)

ANYTHING that RT suggests it, defer to him.
My next 'advise' likely will NOT work, because RT did NOT suggest it.
But I would check this particular setting, which RT helped me awhile back suggesting it.

NM28 Browser:
(Menu) TOOLS , PREFERENCES , ADVANCED (Far Right Icon) , GENERAL (Tab, 1st One)
(Setting Box) "Compatibility , User Agent Mode" = FIREFOX COMPATIBILITY (3 choices there)  

See if using "FIREFOX COMPATIBILITY" there helps.
For me, here, it had CHANGED to "NATIVE" setting, and I do NOT recall changing it.
But I have been using a NM28 Add-On "User Agent Switcher" too, so maybe I 'did something.'
So, I just changed it 'back' to FIREFOX COMPATIBILITY again, per advise from RT in past.

Does not hurt to check for this "FIREFOX COMPATIBILITY" setting.
But whatever 'RT' or 'Mathwiz' says it (or 'VistaLover') -- go with them, and ignore me.

On 6/8/2019 at 6:41 PM, Mathwiz said:

https://www.subaru.com/vehicles/outback/models.html/OBK-compare-wrapper-modal doesn't seem to render quite right in Serpent 55, or in an earlier NM version (2019-05-10) either (the details are shifted rightward wrt the headings, and the chart is too wide but there's no scroll bar). So it could be a problem common to all UXP-platform browsers.

Or it may just be my specific setup. I have this particular PC zoomed up to 150%, and that's caused occasional problems of this kind before. I'll try it with my more "standard" work PC Monday.

Just tried this page again at work, where I don't have the problematic 150% zoom setting, and everything seems to render just fine, in both NM (versions 2019-05-24 and 2019-05-30) and Serpent (versions 52.2019.05.31, 52.2019.06.07, and 55.2019.05.22), on both Win 7 and Win XP. And in official Pale Moon (version 28.5.2) on Win 7, for that matter. So the problems I was seeing earlier were apparently due to the zoom setting, which looks like this:

x.PNG.7dc0b5d2b0eb580ca66f45fcdbe8e0a0.PNG

At the normal (100%) setting, I see five of the six columns and there's an arrow which, when clicked, scrolls to the sixth column. Another arrow then appears and I can scroll back.

So I'm afraid you'll need to be much more specific than:

21 hours ago, Happy_Rabbit said:

The six-column chart does not render properly....

Please post a screen shot showing the problem you're seeing, because I can't see it here.

Edited by Mathwiz

Might there be a possibility to include a legacy version of the NoScript addon by default in New Moon?  It definetly makes the web much more useable, not only on the old Windows XP machines. The version 2 seems to be good, I use 2.6.9.32 (didn't find any better). The current NoScript version kills the Celeron from 1999.

my server is back up! :D
as such my unofficial installer for roys builds will work again

Might there be a possibility to include a legacy version of the NoScript addon by default in New Moon? 

Whether or not @roytam1 does this himself is up to him, but I was considering adding optional plugin support to my installer. for something like @looking4awayout's installer I have that process planned in my head but I have no ideas on how I would automatically install "normal" add-ons (such as noScript) into the browser. I suppose maybe forcing the browser to open the xpi file but that's sorta crude and not automatic.

2 hours ago, Gansangriff said:

Might there be a possibility to include a legacy version of the NoScript addon by default in New Moon?  It definitely makes the web much more usable, not only on the old Windows XP machines. The version 2 seems to be good, I use 2.6.9.32 (didn't find any better). The current NoScript version kills the Celeron from 1999.

Add-ons are installed in your profile folder, not in the browser's program folder (that's how they remain installed whenever you update), so they can't be included in the same .7z file as the browser itself.

That said, old versions of NoScript are readily available for download from the Classic Add-Ons Archive (which is itself an add-on). Go to https://github.com/JustOff/ca-archive/releases and click on the latest .xpi file.

Mathiwz said: Add-ons are installed in your profile folder, not in the browser's program folder (that's how they remain installed whenever you update), so they can't be included in the same .7z file as the browser itself.

That said, old versions of NoScript are readily available for download from the Classic Add-Ons Archive (which is itself an add-on). Go to https://github.com/JustOff/ca-archive/releases and click on the latest .xpi file.

Can only speak from very limited experience with older browsers, but K-Meleon has an addon included out-of-7z-box: NewsFox, an rss-reader. Technically it looks quite easy to me, just place an xpi (with it's final name) in folder /browser/extensions. The killer catch is, users will get NO Remove-button on aboutaddons, as if that folder is considered part of the engine. Reminds me of android phones, where owners are only allowed to remove their self-installed apps too, others can only be disabled. Of course such engine addons can still be removed too, provided you have full access to the app's install folder and can manually delete the xpi - unless that has changed in more modern browsers. Not sure. At any rate including addons this way is rather un-friendly on users who do not want a specific heavy or intrusive addon.
So I would not want to see something as NoScript hardcoded in a browser, it's not everyone's cup of tea. But would like some other, basic ones included, like ExExceptions. And in the special case of KM find it important that the old, traditional NewsFox addon comes already included. It's a very tiny and harmless addon which adds basic functions, but most of all it's a demonstration of a working xpi addon in a browser that's so confusing to newbie users, regarding the extensions chaos (macros, complex multi-file KM-extensions, native FF addons etc.) For example out of box KM still doesn't even have any menu entry to open about:addons! And other important about-pages, users must already know those pages exist and can be opened by manually typing the about-addy in the urlbar, which I find completely incredible today. Or users who know about it, can install my tiny KM-macro aboutabout, which just adds a bunch of about-links in a menu. Still looking very rough, because I haven't investigated yet the matching menu positions and names in FF&Co, which is the final goal of course. That KM-GUI prob has historical reasons of course, xpi-addons were completely impossible prior to first KM74 versions, and at first very tricky to install (editing install.rdf and fiddling with prefs). Then slowly getting better with every new KM7x-version. And since KM76RC2 most Firefox-addons install quite fine, but still lack any xpi-created menus and toolbar buttons, rendering most of them useless again. The only chance is if the xpi comes with an own options page, as long as that's enough to handle it. Or if the user can get an additional KM-macro to create menu or buttons, but their interaction with addons is still quite limited too. How to call a native xpi-function by macro? All they can do so far is toggle some pref, or open a xul-url (Like ExExceptions). I've realized only lately they may be able to do a bit more too. Anway, it's a major pity that due to chronical lack of devs K-Meleon's GUI is meanwhile lagging some ten years behind the engine.
But what I find very important in general, for all browsers which can only run 'legacy' XUL-addons, is to give clueless newbie users a hint about ClassicAddonsArchive! This addon I'd absolutely include out-of-box, except that it's impossible because this one is far too heavy, over 40MB. No go. Still, to help unexperienced users, I'm currently working at a K-Meleon macro that modifies the original aboutaddons page and injects a button opening CAA (and other buttons to KM macro ressources, and a little buttonmenu). Realized only lately that's even possible, just by macro with JS and for non-devs like me, still quite excited. When that macro is installed, it will inject those buttons at every page load, and clicking it will open "caa:list" or "caa:about", and if not yet installed the button will offer to download the addon from github.
Of course, for other browsers too, with some dev-power and omni.ja-access, such modifications could be included in the source-code of aboutaddons page directly. If anyone is curious about how that might look, here's a little preview screenshot of my almost-finished macro:
http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=20610227332941181284

Thinking about it, just in theory, another way of including addons out-of-box is probably in the template folder for brandnew profiles:
installdir/browser/defaults/profile/extensions/...
Then it should show a Remove/Uninstall button on aboutaddons, but haven't tested.

28 minutes ago, siria said:

K-Meleon has an addon included out-of-7z-box: NewsFox, an rss-reader. Technically it looks quite easy to me, just place an xpi (with it's final name) in folder /browser/extensions. The killer catch is, users will get NO Remove-button on about:addons, as if that folder is considered part of the engine.

Wasn't aware that was possible. Presumably it would work in other browsers besides KM, and one wouldn't even need to modify the source repo: put the desired .xpi files in one of those subfolders after building, then just zip the whole thing up. And CAA would be a perfect candidate - if it didn't double the size of the final .7z! So I guess we won't do that one - too bad JustOff didn't put the CAA database in the cloud.

But after looking over my own rather long list of add-ons, I don't see any (except CAA) that everyone should have - especially when you consider that it's common for different users to want different versions of an add-on. Should we include uBO? If so, New Moon presumably gets the latest legacy version, but which version does Serpent 52 get: the legacy version, 1.17.4, or a newer version patched to run on it?

So maybe we're overthinking this. Instead of including any add-ons in the .7z files, remember that pref that started this whole discussion - startup.homepage_override_url - that opens whenever the browser version changes? Point that to a page of commonly requested addons, then the users will see it after every update and can decide for themselves which addons (if any) they want.