My Browser Builds (Part 1)

6 hours ago, VistaLover said:

On Serpent 52.9.0, it appears to be Javascript related (as Web Console and/or Browser Console would reveal):

WEe7OYp.jpg

6 hours ago, VistaLover said:

clicking the magnifying glass works as expected in Google Chrome (51.0.2679.0 in my case)

Works in IE 11 too. I haven't tested a Quantum FF version but I bet it works there too. MDN may have the explanation:

Essentially all web browsers (Firefox, Internet Explorer, recent versions of Opera, Safari, Konqueror, and iCab, as a non-exhaustive list) return null when the specified attribute does not exist on the specified element; this is what the current DOM specification draft specifies. The old DOM 3 Core specification, on the other hand, says that the correct return value in this case is actually the empty string, and some DOM implementations implement this behavior. The implementation of getAttribute() in XUL (Gecko) actually follows the DOM 3 Core specification and returns an empty string.

That would explain why it fails specifically on our UXP-based browsers. I agree someone needs to confirm this with official PM/Basilisk on Win 7+ and report it to MCP. (And this should go without saying, but do not mention New Moon, Serpent, XP, or even Vista, as MCP will simply blame @roytam1's "inferior" code, then Matt will come here and hassle him about "misrepresenting" his builds. We don't want to go through that yet again.)

This particular issue is minor, but it's the sort of thing that will continue to bedevil the UXP platform as Javascript continues to evolve.

2 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

I don't think it works correctly; the total number of tabs doesn't update when you close a tab until you click it.

... And that is (among other things) what I meant by saying: 

19 hours ago, VistaLover said:

you'll be updated to v1.4.0, of the WE flavour, that does not work as expected in St52! :angry:

With version 0.1.1 you have a constant visual display of the number of tabs (both pinned and ordinary ones) open, and that number is being updated in real time whether you open a new one or close an existing one; no need at all to interact with the button (which I've placed in the far right of the tab bar itself).

Once you let AMO update the extension to v1.4.0 (WE format), you end up with an implementation of the addon with what I regard as inferior functionality: by default, its toolbar button shows no tab number, until clicked that is... :realmad: And again, as you found yourself, to update the number displayed after new tabs are opened / old ones are closed, you'll have to click, click, click... :realmad: Not my cup of tea, thanks!

Perhaps my wording was poor; the WE flavour of the addon (v1.4.0) might actually work as intended by its developer on Serpent 52 (and Firefox 52.9.1), so it's not a matter of Serpent's inferior WE API support in that sense; but the point I wanted to make is that if you let Serpent 52 contact AMO to check for addon updates, you might end up with unwanted updates being applied to some of them... <_<

Having tried both, I agree v0.1.1 is more useful, so installing that version and turning off updates makes good sense. (I do the same with uBO so I can stay on the legacy version.) The only reason I brought it up is that I don't think it has anything to do with unsupported WE APIs in Serpent:

20 hours ago, VistaLover said:

even though Serpent may advertise itself to AMO as Firefox 52.x, it has only a subset of the WE APIs found in Fx 52 :(

Whether or not Tab Tally works as the developer intended, it works the same way in Serpent and Firefox. In fact, in my experience, compatibility between FF 52 and Serpent 52 is excellent. If an add-on works in Firefox, it's all but certain to work in Serpent too. So, I don't generally fear add-on updates from AMO, and only turn updates off if I have a particular reason to stay on an old version of an add-on, as with Tab Tally and uBO.

On 5/4/2019 at 6:46 PM, 3dreal said:

You don't need to tell me what we have to learn

... Please understand I have nothing personal at you, you're just a typical example of the mindset exhibited by most help seekers; I also apologise if you felt personally offended, which wasn't my intention in the slightest; but do allow me to stick to my beliefs, which are properly expressed in the following (well known, I hope) saying: 

Give a hungry person one fish and he'll have his stomach full for a day; teach him how to fish himself, and he might never go hungry again...

we have here a lot of low-level(compared to the software-pros here)-people who need advice

First of all, I do not consider myself a "software-pro" as you put it ;); on the contrary, computing came quite late in my adult life and I was horribly clueless at first, having no-one in my immediate circles to help me towards that goal; many nights over many months over several years reading forums and receiving just minimal (usually) tips from more "educated" people on line was the way to get myself slightly more "comfortable" with computers and software and to this day there exist fields for which I unashamedly confess my total ignorance. :blushing: Mind you, like you, I also had "more serious tasks than software-learning", but I did strive to find at least some personal time devoted to that ;)

It's only through educating oneself that the what-you-called "low-level" people will, over time, become "middle-level" people and even - why not? - "software-pros"; otherwise, those "low-level" people will forever remain in a help-leeching stage, seeking guidance for even the simplest of things in forum after forum after forum...

and have other more serious tasks than software-learning.

... and you're only seeing your own side of things, as a help seeker; don't you think the volunteers (not only here in this specific forum, elsewhere too...) offering the help have themselves more serious tasks to do than explaining things down to the finest detail to people not willing to do some of the needed work themselves?

My stance on offering help is to give people the needed push towards the right direction (e.g. in the form of knowledge articles and related documentation), not hold them by the hand all the way to their final destination...

so i executed what had been said about the LAV-files

To make it perfectly clear to those using the SSE variant of New Moon 27 (latest win32 build here), you need to download at least the MMX LAV files found here and, after decompressing, put them in NM27's installation directory (IOW, adjacent to main executable palemoon.exe); it is unclear from the instructions in the first page of this thread whether the standard LAV files (found here) would work with just SSE (but not SSE2) processors!

except don't know how to filter .mp4

... Again, it should be self-explanatory if one cares to study already "provided" screenshot or even attempts to familiarise oneself with only the basics related to Developer Tools; but as we established, people need pre-chewed food spoon-fed to them:

C6TxZ0L.jpg

... write .mp4 on the "Filter output" input field...

Thanks

... and you are genuinely welcome... :P

On 5/7/2019 at 7:17 AM, luweitest said:

In Firefox 52, the same page will jump to a searching page when click the magnifying glass:

I could not reproduce this in Firefox 52.0.2/52.9.0esr/52.9.1esr, but I don't have NoScript installed either! But I can reproduce this behaviour in (latest) Serpent 52.9.0 (2019-05-03) if I disable javascript in the browser (about:config => javascript.enabled;false); when I then load linked page, it complaints about "requiring the use of scripts" (in red letters):

zGaCoMK.jpg

but if I click the magnifying glass, lo and behold I am being redirected to

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/search?q=

So, clicking the magnifying glass normally triggers JS code that the UXP browser can't handle :(, but removing JS out of the equation you get the redirection to MS's search portal :P ...

Edited by VistaLover

18 hours ago, VistaLover said:

... Please understand I have nothing personal at you, you're just a typical example of the mindset exhibited by most help seekers; I also apologise if you felt personally offended, which wasn't my intention in the slightest; but do allow me to stick to my beliefs, which are properly expressed in the following (well known, I hope) saying: 

Give a hungry person one fish and he'll have his stomach full for a day; teach him how to fish himself, and he might never go hungry again...

First of all, I do not consider myself a "software-pro" as you put it ;); on the contrary, computing came quite late in my adult life and I was horribly clueless at first, having no-one in my immediate circles to help me towards that goal; many nights over many months over several years reading forums and receiving just minimal (usually) tips from more "educated" people on line was the way to get myself slightly more "comfortable" with computers and software and to this day there exist fields for which I unashamedly confess my total ignorance. :blushing: Mind you, like you, I also had "more serious tasks than software-learning", but I did strive to find at least some personal time devoted to that ;)

It's only through educating oneself that the what-you-called "low-level" people will, over time, become "middle-level" people and even - why not? - "software-pros"; otherwise, those "low-level" people will forever remain in a help-leeching stage, seeking guidance for even the simplest of things in forum after forum after forum...

... and you're only seeing your own side of things, as a help seeker; don't you think the volunteers (not only here in this specific forum, elsewhere too...) offering the help have themselves more serious tasks to do than explaining things down to the finest detail to people not willing to do some of the needed work themselves?

My stance on offering help is to give people the needed push towards the right direction (e.g. in the form of knowledge articles and related documentation), not hold them by the hand all the way to their final destination...

To make it perfectly clear to those using the SSE variant of New Moon 27 (latest win32 build here), you need to download at least the MMX LAV files found here and, after decompressing, put them in NM27's installation directory (IOW, adjacent to main executable palemoon.exe); it is unclear from the instructions in the first page of this thread whether the standard LAV files (found here) would work with just SSE (but not SSE2) processors!

... Again, it should be self-explanatory if one cares to study already "provided" screenshot or even attempts to familiarise oneself with only the basics related to Developer Tools; but as we established, people need pre-chewed food spoon-fed to them:

C6TxZ0L.jpg

... write .mp4 on the "Filter output" input field...

... and you are genuinely welcome... :P

1. in german its not filter output but search. i tried but i think was unsuccessful or made something wrong. maybe due to wrong lav-files. standard lav not mmx. we will see. but i simulated except the .mp4-filtering and using standard-lav-files worked.

sorry had overseen mp4 in search window. will test again and tell about outcome in SSE. On XP-SSE2-PC  in next weeks.

Thanks a lot

Edited by 3dreal

On 5/3/2019 at 2:27 AM, dmiranda said:

Cheers VistaLover. I would not recommend using Maxthon in XP at all. First, it doesn't seem to allow running most DRM sites (netflix, etc). Second, it is not stable/usable on XP in portable mode.  Third, and most importantly: DO NOT INSTALL IT! It messes with the firewall directly, and somehow manages to bypass programs controlling access to security settings in a non-transparent way.

I have not tested it fully, but the add on "Flash and Videos 1.0.9.4" works fine on roytam1's serpent fork.

i was running installed maxthon 3 in XP-SSE to be able easy downloading a video from winfuture since maxthon 3 has built in downloader(is displayed right above the video-window. see also new workaround with palemoon 27 with webconsole.

The installer which was provided here didnt work for palemoon SSE. I thought it was a universal installer. we will see if it will run on XP-SSE2 when i will have my PC revived.

21 hours ago, 3dreal said:

how to delete threads?

You mean posts? Just ask a moderator, such as @dencorso.

I think we used to be able to delete our own posts but we had some abuse, so that functionality was removed :(

My mom says that since I put on the latest New Moon 27..9.6 on to her Windows XP machine (x86 that is), she has noticed that her home page (set to Google) is now slower.  Is there anything I can get her to try?  I will have to wait awhile until I can visit again.  Cheers!

:)

1 hour ago, Jody Thornton said:

My mom says that since I put on the latest New Moon 27..9.6 on to her Windows XP machine (x86 that is), she has noticed that her home page (set to Google) is now slower.  Is there anything I can get her to try?  I will have to wait awhile until I can visit again.  Cheers!

try rollback and compare?

10 hours ago, Jody Thornton said:

I would suggest that you try New Moon 28.

I did recently for the first time, and am very impressed!

Alternatively, if you want Google to be *really* fast, just use the user agent string from an older browser, and get Google classic (I hope to God that still works because my computer died, so I haven't tried it lately)

New build of post-deprecated Serpent/moebius for XP!
* Notice: This repo will not be built on regular schedule, and changes are experimental as usual.
** Current moebius patch level should be on par with 52.9, but some security patches can not be applied/ported due to source milestone differences between versions.

Test binary:
Win32 http://o.rths.cf/basilisk/basilisk55-win32-git-20190511-89eeeb225-xpmod.7z
Win64 http://o.rths.cf/basilisk/basilisk55-win64-git-20190511-89eeeb225-xpmod.7z

repo: https://github.com/roytam1/basilisk55

Repo changes:
- update libaom to rev 76574b6c09515d6687ebfa9760319e521f5abeb3 (without moz.build and aom_ports/aom_once.h) (4df72da63)
- nss: update nss to hg rev 2d6adc7d8bfc with vc2013 hackfix (95e570060)
- update Twemoji font to upstream 0.4.0. (2b77c0a64)
- nss: go back to 3.43 release (d3db14ffa)
- import changes from UXP:
 - Handle URL token in a closer way to the CSS3 spec (d9137b4b7)
 - Fix failure to print when pages contain zero-sized <canvas> element. Fixes #1058 (1091fcac8)
 - backport m-c 1510114: Fix Use-After-Free in the HTML5 Parser (4ed4303dd)
 - PR#1070, PR#1071 (89eeeb225)

New build of Firefox 45ESR SSE:

test binary: https://o.rths.cf/gpc/files1.rt/firefox-45.9.15-20190511-bdebcdb5e-win32-sse.7z

repo: https://github.com/roytam1/mozilla45esr

Changes since my last build:
- import changes from tenfourfox:
 - #446 + #334: trim refresh driver further; restore old Tele removal (4594eee51)
 - #446: cap default frame rate to 30fps (based on M1503339) (9465ea36d)
 - #547: block modal HTTP auth DOS M1312243 M377496 + glue code (d60d9721f)
 - #550: pref on mediasource for mp4 (37789a58a)
 - #399: null check in FindNearestCommonAncestorFrame from PM 978 (23f303460) (067eb934c)
- nss: update nss to hg rev e5e10a46b9ad with vc2013 hackfix (811e2980a)
- nss: update nss to hg rev 2d6adc7d8bfc with vc2013 hackfix (64d6370ee)
- nss: go back to 3.43 release (319708fd5)
 - #551: M1538402 M1516325 M1544670 (a5f18b580) (without nspr changes)
 - #551: M1538619 M1538736 M1542829 M1543617 M1531346 M1540166 (54aa2d7cc)
 - #446: fine, eat your placebo and enjoy it (f6dd8303f) (37e403685)
 - #551: M1536768 M1546327 (4af72ac8c) (with vc2013 fix)
 - #551: update certs, pins, TLDs (bc5094b91) (bdebcdb5e)

New build of Serpent/UXP for XP!

Test binary:
Win32 https://o.rths.cf/basilisk/basilisk52-g4.2.win32-git-20190511-1b5c261b8-xpmod.7z
Win64 https://o.rths.cf/basilisk/basilisk52-g4.2.win64-git-20190511-1b5c261b8-xpmod.7z

source code that is comparable to my current working tree is available here: https://github.com/roytam1/UXP/commits/custom

NM28XP build:
Win32 https://o.rths.cf/palemoon/palemoon-28.6.0a1.win32-git-20190511-1b5c261b8-xpmod.7z
Win64 https://o.rths.cf/palemoon/palemoon-28.6.0a1.win64-git-20190511-1b5c261b8-xpmod.7z

Official repo changes since my last build:
- Update Readability from mozilla-central release branch (FF 66.0.3). Tag #361. (ccc436346)
- Update surrounding code for new Readerable module. Tag #361. (945b03265)
- Replace explicit pref observer with lazy preference getters. Tag #361. (952e65590)
- Fix parse node limit preference. Tag #361. (2db53003e)
- Bug 1399616 - add WP emoji styling to reader mode. (742f5aa24)
- Bug 1422680 - simplify aboutReader.css font-size classes using CSS variables r=Gijs (0612246b0)
- Bug 1151735 - Hide font panel when text is being selected r=Gijs (b430def77)
- Bug 1429442 - Buttons in "type control" popup in reader mode should have tooltips r=Gijs,MarcoZ (5c350eebc)
- De-unify accessibility build on Mac. (758663e88)
- Merge pull request #1075 from adeshkp/deunify-accessible-build-2 (c40086cfa)
- Update icon to the new and improved branding. (aa4055cb4)
- Don't shrink the tab bar in customize mode (6458c3464)
- backport m-c 1510114: Fix Use-After-Free in the HTML5 Parser (4ed4303dd)
- Merge pull request #1077 from g4jc/cve_2018_18500 (d0f1f53e5)
- Merge pull request #1078 from Lootyhoof/issue-1072 (12d23fb00)
- Merge pull request #1080 from Ascrod/readerview (d0b65e8b3)
- Issue #1082 - Restore a getBoolPref global shim in utilityOverlay.js for Extension compatibility (fc937d1ee)
- Issue #1083 - Deprecate FUEL extension helper javascript library (5d119ce85)
- Issue #1081 - Restore "release notes" item in the help menu (95607bd72)
- Issue #968 - Preload the permissions manager with permissions file (1b5c261b8)