My Browser Builds (Part 1)

40 minutes ago, Mathwiz said:

PM/NM 27 was forked from FF 31, IIRC. Not sure about earlier releases (e.g., PM/NM 26.5)

PM/NM 27 was forked from Fx38 ESR

PM/NM 26.5 was forked from Fx24 ESR

On 3/16/2019 at 3:14 AM, Old Man said:

I just tried the Win2000 build on my ancient quad Pentium Pro 1M 200MHz machine, literally Intels' first 686 processor. So there is no SSE2, no SSE, no MMX, just plain 686; And it works perfectly fine. It's very slow of course, but it does work!

Thank you very much! :)

Off topic here of course, but while we're talking about browsers to possibly replace FF 52 ESR, do any or all of these browsers sync with versions of Firefox using the Mozilla sync system?
I have other Firefox installations, all of which are the latest version on my phone and on Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 computers, and I wouldn't want to lose bookmarks, history and password sync with them if I went to another browser on Windows XP.
:dubbio:

EDIT: Thanks for moving this to a more appropriate thread, whoever did it! (@dencorso?)

Edited by Dave-H
Addition

37 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

do any or all of these browsers sync with versions of Firefox using the Mozilla sync system?

That's a good question. Older versions of Serpent do. Newer versions, however, sync with Palemoon's system (called Weave), as does NM of course. (The Palemoon team has been trying to make Basilisk more independent of Mozilla's infrastructure. That also applies to the add-ons Web pages.) I think the switch was made around December or January; I'll have to look to be sure.

Edit: Looks like the switch was made 15 Dec 2018. Thus, you may want to try the 8 Dec 2018 version of Serpent (still called "Basilisk for XP" back then): https://rtfreesoft.blogspot.com/2018/12/weekly-browser-binaries-20181208.html

From a technical and privacy standpoint, I think Palemoon's sync is better, but that does you little good if most of your other browsers use Mozilla's sync.

BTW, I now use @roytam1's Serpent even on Windows 7, but not because of sync. It's because, since (IIRC) version 56, FF requires WE versions, while Basilisk doesn't support WE versions. But Serpent supports both, as does FF 52.9.

Edited by Mathwiz

On 3/19/2019 at 1:27 AM, Mathwiz said:

@3dreal, you realize this isn't Twitter, right? You can actually put all your concerns into one post! You don't have to post a "tweet storm" ;)

Anyhow, to address some of your concerns:

1. The latest version of NM 27 is here:Don't sweat the version numbers. Go by the date (2019 Mar 16).
  2. Just because there's no installer (yet) doesn't mean it's a portable version. A portable version stores its profile within its own directory, so you can launch it from a thumb drive and your profile will be on the thumb drive as well. New Moon doesn't do that.
  3. Don't sweat what's said on the PaleMoon forums. As they will emphatically tell you, New Moon is not Pale Moon (even though it's derived from it). Many folks there don't much care for @roytam1's work, but many folks here are quite happy with it.
  4. For video playback issues (in Facebook or wherever), read the FAQ in post 1, especially where it says "Can't play h.264 clips" & "VP9 support:"If it still doesn't work, post back here, but be patient: some of our most talented followers don't necessarily read this thread each day.

second link SSE not fully visible but i will find. UPDATE: from here: http://o.rths.cf/palemoon
http://o.rths.cf/palemoon/palemoon-27.9.6.win32-git-20190316-69004b612-xpmod-sse.7z
Maybe you have found out what my problem is: Not always there is a date in the about. let alone the maker. actual one: Version: 27.9.6 (32-bit) no date
i tried another one but i cannot start.
Have great success with Maxthon 3 but only Maxthon 5 has videodownloader. will hardly with with SSE(non SSE2).Most interesting: has day/night-mode. in night mode facebook verification-window hidden!
all other browser except FF dont work. will retry mypal.  cometbird(shanghai) not working. error(xml and something chrome)

Edited by 3dreal

On 3/20/2019 at 1:14 AM, Mathwiz said:

That's a good question. Older versions of Serpent do. Newer versions, however, sync with Palemoon's system (called Weave), as does NM of course. (The Palemoon team has been trying to make Basilisk more independent of Mozilla's infrastructure. That also applies to the add-ons Web pages.) I think the switch was made around December or January; I'll have to look to be sure.

Edit: Looks like the switch was made 15 Dec 2018. Thus, you may want to try the 8 Dec 2018 version of Serpent (still called "Basilisk for XP" back then): https://rtfreesoft.blogspot.com/2018/12/weekly-browser-binaries-20181208.html

From a technical and privacy standpoint, I think Palemoon's sync is better, but that does you little good if most of your other browsers use Mozilla's sync.

BTW, I now use @roytam1's Serpent even on Windows 7, but not because of sync. It's because, since (IIRC) version 56, FF requires WE versions, while Basilisk doesn't support WE versions. But Serpent supports both, as does FF 52.9.

Thanks @Mathwiz, I'll have a look at that version of Serpent and see how it goes.
I'm not thinking I will abandon FF52ESR imminently. The Instagram video issue is annoying, but I can obviously still view them on my phone or on other browsers (including Google Chrome 49 on XP!) so it's not the end of the world. If other sites start breaking though, I will have to reconsider.
Cheers, Dave.
:)

2 hours ago, Dave-H said:

Thanks @Mathwiz, I'll have a look at that version of Serpent and see how it goes.
I'm not thinking I will abandon FF52ESR imminently. The Instagram video issue is annoying, but I can obviously still view them on my phone or on other browsers (including Google Chrome 49 on XP!) so it's not the end of the world. If other sites start breaking though, I will have to reconsider.
Cheers, Dave.
:)

As @Sampei.Nihira said, it's often good to have multiple browsers for situations like this. I have Serpent 52, Serpent 55, NM 28, Seamonkey 24.9.5, FF 52.9.1, Advanced Chrome, Opera 12.18 ... and IE8 of course.

So far Instagram videos are the only thing I've found (aside from DRM issues) that spoofing another FF version (sometimes newer, sometimes older) can't fix. I wish FF had site-specific user agent overrides (the pref is there and defaults to "true," but it doesn't seem to work), but one can get around that with an add-on.

Over time, JS / CSS issues are likely to become more serious for browsers that aren't being updated. I don't know how MCP will deal with future JS changes that have to be ported to PM / Basilisk from newer FF versions, but they seem to have gotten pretty good at it. As long as the necessary patches can still run on XP, we should be fine.

I was surprised to find Seamonkey doesn't show Instagram videos either. Haven't yet tried BOC (based on Borealis (based on Seamonkey)) though.

@Mathwiz <--

https://o.rths.cf/boc-uxp/
Here, using the RT BnavXP (BOC) Browser with WinXP SP3.
So far, it handles (streaming) INSTAGRAM Video with no problem.
Also does well mostly with 'custom' streaming Video that is Website specific.
I am NOT that wonderful a tester though. Your experience may vary.

RT did explain (elsewhere, messages here) how to install
the SEAMONKEY LANGUAGE PACKS for it too. NOT a FULL FIX,
but it would mostly get the job done enough (my view) for usage.

However, JETPACK style LEGACY Extensions do NOT install for it.
But you can get LEGACY Extension versions of uBlock Origin (UBO)
and/or uMatrix (GORHILL) working via INSTALL.RDF file modification.
See other messages here for INSTALL.RDF file modification requirements.
NOT that difficult if I can figure it out (thanks to 'VistaLover' and 'RT' Users MSFN.org).

Edited by TechnoRelic

On 10/20/2018 at 7:53 AM, roytam1 said:

... if your profile was already touched by PM28, don't directly use it in 27 builds because it will corrupt when you downgrade it. In such situation you should create a new profile for PM27 use.

I'm using NM27 & Serpent 55.  I've renamed those program folders and would like to also install NM28 & Serpent 52.

Is there a possibility of profile folder corruption, or will each of those programs automatically find the correct path to its own profile?

2 hours ago, taos said:

I'm using NM27 & Serpent 55.  I've renamed those program folders and would like to also install NM28 & Serpent 52.

Is there a possibility of profile folder corruption, or will each of those programs automatically find the correct path to its own profile?

if you use NM27 and NM28 without specifying profile name, they will try to use same profile and may cause problems

From my laptop:
In new moon and basilisk, the browser freezes up (consuming 50% cpu during this) on ebay item pages and the amazon login screen. It does not seem to matter whether or not "use hardware acceleration" is on, and I have tried every GPU driver version available for my ATi mobility radeon x1300 with no difference.

However these pages work fine on my other computers.

:dubbio:

Edited by i430VX

4 hours ago, roytam1 said:

if you use NM27 and NM28 without specifying profile name, they will try to use same profile and may cause problems

Thank you Roytam.

I got it to work.  Two separate palemoon program folders, two separate shortcuts on the desktop, two separate profiles, and the Profile manager always opening during launch.

If all goes well with NM28, then I'll retire NM27 and hide the profile manager.

Thanks again