My Browser Builds (Part 1)

On 2/26/2019 at 2:55 PM, sdfox7 said:

One question: I encounter HTML5 issues on YouTube with your Pale Moon 26.5 for Windows 2000. Is there a workaround for this? I can always use VLC to network stream, but I was wondering what would cause this, and if there is a fix.

Have you tried installing the K-Lite codec pack, or downloading the DLLs from here (see first post if you need nosse version) into the directory where palemoon.exe lives?

I haven't personally used the browser on win2k that much but that's my guess.

Well seeing as it isn't Pale Moon... I dunno what to tell you dude. That is the point isn't it.. Whatever Roytam is producing isn't Pale Moon or Basilisk or Interlink or anything else. Unofficial Builds are not official and have no validity.

At MOST you have to talk to Roytam about software he produces.. Not BinOC or MCP.. So here is a question, IF My self and Moonchild are not doing a very good job.. What do you call Roytam's work in this Netflix case?

Edited by Matt A. Tobin

5 minutes ago, Matt A. Tobin said:

Well seeing as it isn't Pale Moon... I dunno what to tell you dude. That is the point isn't it.. Whatever Roytam is producing isn't Pale Moon or Basilisk or Interlink or anything else. Unofficial Builds are not official and have no validity.

Well, as you say it's not PM, what's all the talk about copyright and trademarks etc....????

5 hours ago, PROBLEMCHYLD said:

When you get NETFLIX working

5 hours ago, PROBLEMCHYLD said:

give you that, but I have to use Firefox in order to use NF. I'll investigate on my end.

WidevineCDM, due to an update implemented by Google (current owner of the module) in early January 2019, is currently BROKEN in official Basilisk 52.0.2019.02.11 [and in the unbranded fork Serpent 52.9.0, when used in Vista+;  WidevineCDM CAN NOT be used on XP in a Mozilla type browser, due to it needing access to system (OS) decoders (h264/aac) via Windows Media Foundation (an OS feature of VistaSP2+)]. This is currently being tracked in UXP #962 ; I see no recent activity there, admittedly it's not a task for the faint-hearted to adapt mozilla60esr code (merged with lots of Google cr*p) to UXP's EME code... 

Personally, I have little hope for a fix, but, who knows, maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised; if not, expect EME support to be probably also removed from official Basilisk, no wonder for "security" related issues ;). After all, no other app built on the platform currently (official Pale Moon 28, Iceweasel-UXP, BinOC's browser and e-mai client) has a need for EME/DRM...

As for Netflix: Supposedly, older installations who have acquired licence keys via the now deprecated WidevineCDM version (1.4.8.1088) used in Basilisk will continue to work in old Basilisk profiles, but new/first time Netflix users in current Basilisk will fail to get fresh lic (decryption) keys and thus will be unable to stream Netflix...

Netflix is one of the very few services that have a fallback mechanism to Silverlight NPAPI plugin on browsers not supporting EME (e.g. official Pale Moon), thus you can stream Netflix on PM28 with Silverlight 5 installed; PM28 has a native SSUAO for Netflix that forces it to fallback to Silverlight: 

general.useragent.override.netflix.com;Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:45.9) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/45.9

95% of DRM'ed sites DON'T have the ability to use Silverlight (and Smooth Streaming) for their encrypted content and are broken in official Basilisk...

To stream Netflix in official Basilisk (or in the unbranded fork), one must disable EME in the browser, install and enable Silverlight 5, implement the SSUAO for Netflix and restart browser; hopefully then Netflix streaming in Basilisk should work...

Official Support Forum original thread: https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=21500

Edited by VistaLover

23 minutes ago, PROBLEMCHYLD said:

Well, as you say it's not PM, what's all the talk about copyright and trademarks etc....????

For for the builds based on Pale Moon and Basilisk the issue is that using the generic branding and then in the same sentence calling it "Pale Moon" and "Basilisk" everywhere creates massive confusion this is the false attribution and representation of whatever it is Roytam wants to produce. He and his cohorts refuse to create unique branding for it and continue to refer to it as "x for Windows XP" linking his builds to us.

The same can be said for Binary Outcast projects except while Interlink has complete renaming to not cause confusion he again attributes this unauthorized build as Binary Outcast's Interlink.. In the case of the navigator.. It isn't even a finished product and he is shipping it out again with attribution but because it IS unfinished I have not yet made clear unofficial branding to differentiate it from the product I am producing. Additionally, as it is an UNFINISHED and currently UNRELEASED project it still has Mozilla Copywritten and Trademarked assets in terms of the Mozilla Suite Icons and SeaMonkey logos and icons that I have not yet replaced.

The MPL gives him the right to take the source code and do what he likes with it according to the license but that ONLY applies to the source code that matches a binary form in question. Additionally, attributing his work based on my projects IS improper use of MY trademarks and general rights which are NOT extended to him. He is doing material damage by linking his builds to me AND he is doing materal damage by using my trademarked product name of Borealis in the actual resulting binary which the MPL strictly does not extend rights to. He is also doing damage to Mozilla for which there is copywritten and/or trademarked assets he is distributing.

THIS has ALWAYS been my problem with Roytam and his friends. Instead of creating something of their own they do the minimum amount of work possible and wobble back and forth across the line of rights infringement to produce these builds for which they get acclaim from people like you from but when something goes wrong it falls to us to clean it up. As I also said, it also causes confusion with users.

MCP has basically washed their hands and ignores Roytam's builds but my self as Binary Outcast, I want Borealis-based builds of the navigator to be pulled immediately from his archives as rights infringing material not only of my self but on behalf of the SeaMonkey Project and Mozilla until such time the project achieves first release, provide non-infringing unofficial branding, or he creates his own.

As for Interlink-based builds I want all mention of the Interlink trademark removed from the associated sites and repositories OR and FOR the future there is a clear disclaimer that these builds are not in any way affiliated with Binary Outcast.

IF these provisions are met I will cease my current activity and allow you to continue on as before without interference.

52 minutes ago, PROBLEMCHYLD said:

As I said before, I have never gotten Pale Moon to work on Netflix with Windows or Linux.

Test.JPG

Sounds like you need to install Silverlight.

On 2/11/2019 at 3:28 PM, DrWho3000 said:

I managed to get Netflix to work on XP SP3 with FF esr 52.9 by installing Silverlight 

7 hours ago, sdfox7 said:

@roytam1

Thank you for your hard work in preserving browser support on Windows 2000 and Windows XP.

One question: I encounter HTML5 issues on YouTube with your Pale Moon 26.5 for Windows 2000. Is there a workaround for this? I can always use VLC to network stream, but I was wondering what would cause this, and if there is a fix.

I am using a fully-updated Windows 2000 with all the patches through end of support in 2010.

html5pm.jpg

because youtube requires mediasource now, this will be hard to fix.

6 hours ago, i430VX said:

Have you tried installing the K-Lite codec pack, or downloading the DLLs from here (see first post if you need nosse version) into the directory where palemoon.exe lives?

I haven't personally used the browser on win2k that much but that's my guess.

PM26 doesn't use any ffmpeg/ffvpx bits(it relies on libvpx only) so this won't work.

Edited by roytam1

2 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

Sounds like you need to install Silverlight.

I have Silverlight installed, never gotten NF to run on Pale Moon Linux or Windows. Works in FF though. Nonetheless, water under the bridge.

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

That's very strange. Should work straight off in New Moon (XP), just as it does in FF 52 ESR and SeaMonkey. (Basilisk & Serpent require a little extra work, as @VistaLover explained.) Didn't know Silverlight was available on the Pale Moon (Linux) build but if it is, I'd think it would work there too. Maybe the Netflix SSUAO is missing from the Linux build?

BTW, Waterfox sounds interesting, but it targets 64-bit Windows 7. I don't know if it's even feasible to recompile it targeting 32-bit XP (or even Vista) instead.

3 minutes ago, Mathwiz said:

That's very strange. Should work straight off in New Moon (XP), just as it does in FF 52 ESR and SeaMonkey. (Basilisk & Serpent require a little extra work, as @VistaLover explained.) Didn't know Silverlight was available on the Pale Moon (Linux) build but if it is, I'd think it would work there too. Maybe the Netflix SSUAO is missing from the Linux build?

BTW, Waterfox sounds interesting, but it targets 64-bit Windows 7. I don't know if it's even feasible to recompile it targeting 32-bit XP (or even Vista) instead.

not quite possible due to rust usage.

2 hours ago, PROBLEMCHYLD said:

I have Silverlight installed, never gotten NF to run on Pale Moon Linux or Windows.

The Netflix screengrab you posted earlier mentions Netflix Error N8 156-6023; googling for that takes one to

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/200

The error you're seeing is related to the Silverlight plug-in, which Netflix uses to play TV shows and movies on your computer.
This error is usually caused by one of three things:

1. A computer setting preventing Silverlight from storing files it needs to play your TV show or movie
2. An issue with the Silverlight plug-in itself

Make sure you have the very latest version of Silverlight 5 installed (5.1.50918.0); if you're on XP, read this
First uninstall whichever Silverlight version already installed (if older) and then, for good measure, restart your system.
Install the latest version; head to Start -> All programs -> Microsoft Silverlight (folder) -> Microsoft Silverlight (shortcut)
and in the third tab (Playback) be sure to check "Enable download and updates to components required for protected content playback":

SU1C0QK.jpg

Then, in the last tab (Application Storage), make sure "Enable application storage" is checked:

ptNXqRv.jpg

Exit the Silverlight Configuration manager.

I would test myself with a new, clean profile of New Moon 28 (you can back up your existing profile just for this test and restore it afterwards) to exclude any interference from user modified browser settings and/or extension interactions...
Visit "about:addons -> plugins" and configure Silverlight to Always Activate.

Check your Silverlight installation at http://www.radioactivepages.com/
If your Silverlight installation is in working order, then the (mechanical) clockwork on the top left should be moving:

3FaaJp9.jpg

Time now to head over at the Netflix site; unfortunately, I don't have a (paid) account with them, so I can't move on past this point (I also searched - in vain - for a free, sample, Netflix video clip, but none showed up in my searches... :realmad:). 

After signing in and choosing a video for streaming, Silverlight should hopefully ask you to "play protected content"; say yes and it should just do that! (a bit of positive thinking never hurts in these cases :P)

I honestly hope I've helped... ;)