My Browser Builds (Part 1)

On 12/21/2018 at 11:57 PM, roytam1 said:

I may have missed your post on this, but is there a reason you're not releasing sse builds for PM28?

8 hours ago, CoRoNe said:

I may have missed your post on this, but is there a reason you're not releasing sse builds for PM28?

Its javascript engine requires SSE2, it will output SSE2 instructions to processor even you don't use SSE2 to compile it.

Is it normal that whenever I visit Reddit using the old.reddit.com link, so that I could get old design instead of the sluggish new one, Reddit doesn't remember the language I set it to? It only remembers setting a different language as long as I don't turn off the browser (NM), but when I do, start it again later and visit Reddit, it revert back to English for some reason... I don't recall this behavior in Firefox 52, though I feel like it's the same way on it as well anyway. I didn't set NM to clear cookies/cache whenever I close it so it's definitely not that.

16 hours ago, Tamris said:

Is it normal that whenever I visit Reddit using the old.reddit.com link, so that I could get old design instead of the sluggish new one, Reddit doesn't remember the language I set it to? It only remembers setting a different language as long as I don't turn off the browser (NM), but when I do, start it again later and visit Reddit, it revert back to English for some reason...

Merry Christmas to you :)

Your "interface language selection" on old.reddit.com is stored in the form of session browser cookies ; as their name suggests (and in accordance with your findings), they remain valid for the duration of a browser session; once the browser is exited, they auto-expire... If you want your selection to persist across browser sessions, you have to somehow turn the controlling cookie(s) from session to permanent ones...

The above can be accomplished via developer tools, but it's a lot easier via the use of cookie-editing extensions... I personally use CookieKeeper 1.9.3.1 (on New Moon 28.3.0a1): this specific extension is capable of editing cookie properties as well as "protecting" cookies from browser deletion; in the screenshot that follows, I have indicated for you the session cookies (that store language selection) that need to be edited and "protected":

Before:

ME4U6pD.jpg

After:

Z1QjtK6.jpg 

You can find and install CookieKeeper via Classic Add-ons Archive (I posted about it a few pages back), usage info for CK can be retrieved easily online... ;)

Edited by VistaLover

@VistaLover Thanks a lot as usual. :) Did what you said and it Reddit now stays in a language I set it to at all times.

Also seems that the guy behind Aeromoon and a couple other themes updated them to be compatible with NM 28.3 (and he made the address bar a bit too bright but oh well) so if anyone's using any of these and Expose Noisy Tabs addon, it's no longer needed.

Edited by Tamris

On 12/19/2018 at 1:30 PM, Inox said:

I'm not advanced in browsers and I've got old laptop with Windows XP and processor Intel Celeron M 1500MHz (probably with SSE) and 1GB RAM. I use it frequently because i use old utility programs that don't "like" newer systems. Could You give me advice witch browser choose and what version (Palemoon xpmod or Basilisk xpmod) Thank You in advance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Celeron_microprocessors#Netburst_based_Celerons_2

As you can see on page above - ALL mobile Celerons starting from 1400 Mhz have SSE2 instruction set. Therefore you can use modern browser that require SSE2.

Also you can look at bottom of your laptop to tell us (or me personally) what exact model of laptop you have - because A LOT of laptops allow you to replace processor on more powerful. I know examples when Yonah-based Celeron M was replaced on Core 2 Duo which triple up raw compute power of laptop. Used top processors for laptops from 2004-2009 era usually cost from 6 to 15 bucks and can be easily found in internet.

You also can right-click mouse on My Computer and choose "Properties" to see what processor do you have now. But to tell us what laptop do you have is also desirable if you want to know how upgrade your laptop, because remember - a lot of laptops can be upgraded in many ways. What i advise you, Inox, are simple tasks - no special skills are required for this.

On 12/19/2018 at 2:33 PM, Dibya said:

45 ear or palemoon sse or kmeleon goanna

Km gonna is best bet

Because it is obvious that Inox have SSE2 processor - it is logical to advise him to try new Pale Moon from roytam1.

Edited by Rod Steel

Why the multiprocess mode is removed ? In XP only layers.async-pan-zoom.enabled badly works.

Some functions are included in PM28XP and they cannot work, but are included by default:

browser.taskbar.lists.enabled , gfx.direct2d.disabled , gestures.enable_single_finger_input , gfx.work-around-driver-bugs , media.hardware-video-decoding.enabled , media.wmf.enabled , media.windows-media-foundation.allow-d3d11-dxva , webgl.angle.try-d3d11 , webgl.enable-webgl2 , intl.tsf.enable - does not work in Windows XP.

layers.deaa.enabled , layers.gralloc.disable , stagefright.disabled - does not work in Windows.

plugins.rewrite_youtube_embeds - does not work

media.suspend-bkgnd-video.enabled , media.block-autoplay-until-in-foreground , layers.prefer-d3d9 , network.captive-portal-service.enabled - false....why?

Edited by grey_rat

7 hours ago, grey_rat said:

Why the multiprocess mode is removed ?

As you probably know, these browsers are all forks from various Firefox releases. AIUI Firefox did not enable multiprocess mode (e10s) until version 53. All these browsers except one (Basilisk 55) were forked from FF versions prior to 53. Multiprocess mode was not "removed;" it was never there in the first place. (I could be wrong about this, but that's my best understanding of the situation.)

I don't know if Basilisk 55 supports multiprocess mode. AIUI it was forked from a pre-release version of FF 53 and I don't know what the status of e10s was at the particular release it was forked from.

17 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

AIUI Firefox did not enable multiprocess mode (e10s) until version 53

Actually multiprocess mode was available in earlier versions, it just wasn't enabled for everyone, I remember having it enabled in 52 ESR before I switched to NM in July. Also I'm pretty sure MC himself said thay they won't add e10s to PM, though I don't recall exactly why (outside of obvious reason to for PM to be more similar with older versions of Firefox).

Edited by Tamris

In my limited research it looked like the nightly builds of some earlier releases had it, just not the release builds. But I couldn't figure out how many versions back that went. Anyhow, point being: it's not in PM to start with; @roytam1 didn't remove it.

AIUI, e10s breaks compatibility with many legacy add-ons, to the point that e10s won't even start unless every enabled legacy add-on has an 'e10s-compatible' flag set. That may be a big reason why they won't add e10s to PM.

Basilisk may have it though. I recall often seeing two basilisk.exe processes in Task Manager when I first switched to Basilisk and wondering what that was about. But I suspect a new add-on has disabled it since then (I no longer see two processes).

WebExtension add-ons are inherently compatible, but Basilisk supports only some WebExtension calls (version 55 supporting more calls than 52), so a lot of add-ons for Basilisk probably disable e10s.

1 hour ago, Mathwiz said:

Basilisk may have it though.

I don't know about roytam's version of it, but original Basilisk does not have e10s either:

Basilisk features

[...]

Important differences with Mozilla Firefox:

[...]

Does not use Electrolysis (e10s, multi-process browsing).

Source