My Browser Builds (Part 1)

Finally made the move and downloaded RT's NEWMOON browser version 28.1.0a1.......WOW!!!   Browser speed performance was extremely noticeable over FF 52.9.0 ESR.    I also noticed much lower resource consumption and CPU cycles.    The plug in container from Adobe consumed a lot of CPU cycles when functioning in FF.  With the added HTML5 and MP4 support in this Newmoon brower, I have been extremely pleased viewing Youtube videos and FB pages on my Windows XP sp3 system.

I do have a quick question......I downloaded, saved and extracted the z7 file to my programs folder and created both a start menu and desktop shortcut to the PALEMOON.EXE.   Ran perfectly.   I imported all my bookmarks from FF and made the necessary settings.    When it comes time to update to a newer version, do I just repeat this process of download, save and extract to the current PALEMOON folder within my programs folder or is there a better way to update?   

21 hours ago, roytam1 said:

so they merged ffmpeg-4.0.2: https://github.com/MoonchildProductions/UXP/commit/69d83c8fbe47b89d1d14f75ee99e638cbfb5dc31

should I keep 3.4.x or patch it for XP? 

Is this the reason of different youtube behaviour in 28.x versions?

I'd rather have older version, IF that is the cause. Or until youtube decides to use something like av1 (or was it ported to v3 already? I don't remember) for all its videos without any other options. :)

I am running PM on a pretty old hardware that is just barely able to run full-screen 480p video smoothly on 1024x768 and 360p videos on 1920x1080.

Before that change the video streams were felt kinda at "lower priority" and all the player controls and audio were at "higher priority" i.e. with occasional framedrops, but with no audio stuttering ever, but now videos are felt kinda at "realtime priority" and are consuming all of the CPU, and player controls are simply not visible/accessible until after ~5-10 seconds of play or pausing manually. I have no idea what was changed and where, but I just hope it can be fixed by changing compile options, otherwise I'll have to stay with PM27...

Also, could you please tell, were there any important changes in addons compatibility that I probably missed? Some of my addons (most notably - DTA2) are not working anymore with PM28.

7 hours ago, Flame. said:

Also, could you please tell, were there any important changes in addons compatibility that I probably missed? Some of my addons (most notably - DTA2) are not working anymore with PM28.

it's known that DTA < 3.0b5 won't work in PM28.

for others you may check their forum for details .

Edited by roytam1

7 minutes ago, roytam1 said:

it's known that DTA < 3.0b5 won't work in PM28.

for others you may check their forum for details .

ah, thank you! people are reporting same addons, e.g. Redirector, not working, and there are some useful solutions it seems:

this is due to ecmascript standard changes. previously, top-level `const` and `let` were the same as `var`, and now they aren't.

that is, just replace all `const` in "chrome/js/xpcom.js" with `var`, and you're there.

but not everything is ok:

Redirector 3.0.4 no longer works for me, but neither does Redirector 2.9.3. After fixing and installing 2.9.3, the 2.9.3 configuration page works. But like Redirector 3.0.4, the actual redirects no longer work. Skip Redirect Version 1.0.7 may be the only choice, for removing redirects in Pale Moon 28 , at this point.

so, some addons can be fixed more or less easily via debug console analyzing.

5 hours ago, Sampei.Nihira said:

If everyone thought of it as you, the development of software, extensions, and security systems would be stopped 20 years ago.

Good thing it's not like that.:yes:

I'd say it is exactly like that... :D Well, OK, maybe for 10 years.

9 hours ago, Dibya said:

.I don't know about decoding but in encoding speed improved in newer ffmpeg

Absolutely true. But what's the point of having a faster encoder in a browser? :)

8 hours ago, Flame. said:

Absolutely true. But what's the point of having a faster encoder in a browser? :)

Faster encoding might not but faster decoding will surely effect all over video playback performance of video content in slower connection.

If I am not wrong only dependency that needs patch is bcrypt. I compiled ffmpeg with vs2017 with XP targeted and copyed Bcrypt from onecoreapi to ffmpeg directory. All fixed .

1 hour ago, Dibya said:

Faster encoding might not but faster decoding will surely effect all over video playback performance of video content in slower connection.

I am not quite sure what faster decoding has to do with slower connection speed... :) But nevermind, my main concern is described a bit earlier, so if what Roytam said is true, then playback performance is actually somewhat worse now, at least in the GUI responsiveness part.