My Browser Builds (Part 1)

4 hours ago, dencorso said:

@roytam1: Are you OK, my friend? I saw Mangkhut has moved on so the worst must have passed already... Here's hoping you're well. :)

Yeah, I'm fine, as well as my web server. I'm just busy in $DAYJOB because of aftermath of typhoon.

4 hours ago, rn10950 said:

@roytam1 Do you have the complete source of NM28 online somewhere? I need to fix a problem specific to my CPU that is keeping me on 27. (For some reason NM28, or any 52.x-based browser for that matter, doesn't like my dual-Xeon setup too much.

I tried git-applying the patches, but they don't want to apply.

yeah that's a problem of providing not-so-updated git patch for applying.

I'm thinking a way to put the complete source without having version control, or just put it in another git repo provider. (to avoid making connection to official repo)

17 hours ago, VistaLover said:

Grazie mille for your recommendations :) I, myself, am not specifically out for video-downloading extensions, because, unlike other posters, for me IDM continues to play nice in NM28 with most sites, including Youtube, plus I use youtube-dl (CLI, or a GUI) for most of my media downloads ;) ...

NetVideoHunter has come up several times in the official Pale Moon forums as still compatible with PM28 and working so, yes, your suggestion could be of value to many members here... But, judging by the fact it was lastly updated Nov 2015, I don't expect it to cope well with youtube's constantly changing protection methods for copyrighted video+audio content (haven't tested it myself, just an educated guess here...).

Kalimèra VistaLover.

:thumbup

7 hours ago, cc333 said:

It's not that hard to create an installer that simply copies the files to the proper place in Program Files and put a shortcut on the Desktop; I created such a setup file within 5 minutes using Inno Setup.

I'd post it here, but I need a place to host it (it's too big for the forum).

c

Would it be possible to add it to the browser dropdown too on the start menu, as well as setting it as the default browser as option? Sounds pretty nice tho

If you want to upload it, use mediafire or google drive IMO

Edited by SRainharp

On the official Pale Moon camp, Pale Moon v28.1.0 (stable) has just been tagged and released as source; I expect that Windows binaries be available imminently (most probably tomorrow, or the day after) ...

Consequently, the unstable update channel, sourced from the master branch, has been bumped to v28.2.0a1; if over the coming weekend @roytam1 does clobber (as he should...) when building new binaries, NM28 builds will have the bumped appVersion and installed language packs (aimed at maxVersion=28.1.0a1) will get disabled... Just a heads up... ;)

This post is just to summarize what I learned from the very detailed and involved DRM discussion about 80 posts back, along with similar posts from other threads:

1. The NPAPI version of Google's Widevine CDM plugin will run on Vista but not XP, so it's no help. Stephen Fox has a PPAPI version of Widevine that will run on XP, but you'll need Chrome, not FF or one of its variants, to run that.
  2. The Adobe Primetime CDM plugin will install and run on Basilisk 52 just as with FF 52 ESR (although you need to toggle media.ffvpx.enabled to false in about:config), but few providers of DRM-protected content will use it. (I suppose you could try anyway, by spoofing an older FF version with those sites.)
  3. One last possible fallback is Microsoft's Silverlight. But as with #2, you'd generally need to spoof an older FF version that didn't support Widevine, in order to get sites to try to use it. (With some sites, such as Amazon Prime, you also need to spoof Windows 7 in  your user agent string.)

Do I have that about right?

In Serpent (Basilisk): click the "hamburger" (Open menu icon); click "Customize" at the bottom, and drag the "Add-Ons" icon next to the home icon where you want it.

Not sure if it can be done in NM, which uses a different UI; I'll leave that part of the question to others.

3 hours ago, msfn-guest321 said:

does anybody know of a way to add the Add-ons icon from the menu to be included in the Navigation Toolbar, perhaps right next to the Home icon ???

In New moon go to view or right click navigation bar > toolbars > customize . Drag add on in question anywhere you like.

On 9/18/2018 at 12:52 AM, VistaLover said:

On the official Pale Moon camp, Pale Moon v28.1.0 (stable) has just been tagged and released as source; I expect that Windows binaries be available imminently (most probably tomorrow, or the day after) ...

Consequently, the unstable update channel, sourced from the master branch, has been bumped to v28.2.0a1; if over the coming weekend @roytam1 does clobber (as he should...) when building new binaries, NM28 builds will have the bumped appVersion and installed language packs (aimed at maxVersion=28.1.0a1) will get disabled... Just a heads up... ;)

if it is not forcing a clobber, I'll keep v28.1.0a1. For whatever reason, changing application/palemoon/config/version.txt doesn't seem cause a reconfigure to be happened.

18 minutes ago, msfn-guest456 said:

you can't "drag" the Add-on icon from the menu...

THIS is the Add-on icon that I want to be able to place on the Navigation Toolbar...

untitled-small.jpg

you can't do this without an addon.

you may try installing prefbar and import this button:

http://prefbar.tuxfamily.org/buttons.html#openaddonmanager

29 minutes ago, msfn-guest456 said:

you can't "drag" the Add-on icon from the menu...

THIS is the Add-on icon that I want to be able to place on the Navigation Toolbar...

As posted already by @roytam1, AppMenu items are not movable outside of the AppMenu button - this has always been the case in the pre-Australis Firefox GUI - OTOH, the Australis GUI has a native add-ons button which you can move and place where you please; FYI, Basilisk (Serpent) 52.9.0 browser comes with the Australis default skin/GUI...

In the case of Pale Moon and forks (as well as Firefox < 29.0), if you want one-click access to the addons manager (AOM, about:addons) via toolbar button, in addition to what has been already suggested by Roy, you can install this simple extension from 2011:

https://addons.mozilla.org/el/firefox/addon/aboutaddonsbutton/versions/

This works fine for me in NM28; one other option you may want to explore is:

https://codefisher.org/toolbar_button/toolbar_button_maker/

where there's already a pre-made selection to create an "Add-ons toolbar button" extension... :)

40 minutes ago, roytam1 said:

if it is not forcing a clobber, I'll keep v28.1.0a1. For whatever reason, changing application/palemoon/config/version.txt doesn't seem cause a reconfigure to be happened

Hello again :), I do hope life has gotten back to, somewhat, normal :rolleyes: where you live, after that terrible natural catastrophe; the footage of Mangkhut ravaging SE Asia that we watched over here was daunting :o:(, to say the least...

Back to the topic, if I understood you correctly, you said that a simple appVersion change doesn't merit a full clobber, which itself entails considerably longer build times, not to mention the increased power (electricity) consumption by the build-machine... If that's the case, I do understand, after all you know what's best for your building system...

My only gripe is, if produced build stays in v28.1.0a1, this leaves room for some misinterpretation; 28.1.0a1 < 28.1.0, yet today's (Sat, Sept 22nd 2018) imminent NM28 build will be built on 28.2.0a1 code (i.e. newer that the officially released stable Pale Moon 28.1.0 build); and in any case, you will have to start building fresh at some point, won't you? It's the same thing with your Tycho builds, which still report v27.9.1a1, when in reality they should report v27.9.5a1...

FWIW, the official unstable Pale Moon has been released on the 20th, appVersion="28.2.0a1", buildID (for win32)="20180919142716" and file version of palemoon.exe = 4.1.5.6836

One last question/request for help: Do you happen to know where exactly in the compiled browser modules is the actual appVersion string stored? I searched both omni.ja files (./omni.ja & ./browser/omni.ja) with 7-zip/NotePad++ and while I found some references, changing those and repacking the .ja files did not alter appVersion (I also use the Version in Add-on bar extension...) :angry:

I echo everyone's sentiments here by saying you are a true life saver :worship: at this point for XP/Vista OSes, as practically no other browser (except your forks) is currently in active development for those OSes (... of course, credit also goes to MC Productions for maintaining original PM and Basilisk...)

Keep well :thumbup