My Browser Builds (Part 1)

13 minutes ago, dencorso said:

I had no problem to fill it, using @roytam1's latest Basilisk/UXP with that tweak I described added. See:

Clipboard01.PNG

Sorry, im using New Moon not basilisk.  I will try basilisk anyways, maybe is time to move on from newmoon

thanks for help

Edited by theelf

Do try the latest Basilisk, then. Basilisk/UXP is forked from FF esr 52.x.x and is being compiled for XP by @roytam1, in parallel to New Moon. But, IMO, Basilisk/UXP is the best alternative, in what regards overal compatibility... it's sort of like if FF esr 52.x.x were still being developed, and with XP-specific support in mind, on top of it.

16 minutes ago, Flame. said:

Sorry, im using New Moon not basilisk.

I use both Basilisk and NewMoon so that I don't have to waste time dealing with incompatibility problems such as this. I also use the "User Agent" plug-in, often telling sites I am an iPhone so that they display a usable page. Sometimes one can't rely 100% on browsers any more, HTML has become a programming language, and has to be treated/debugged as such...

Edited by trevmar

4 hours ago, dencorso said:

Do try the latest Basilisk, then. Basilisk/UXP is forked from FF esr 52.x.x and is being compiled for XP by @roytam1, in parallel to New Moon. But, IMO, Basilisk/UXP is the best alternative, in what regards overal compatibility... it's sort of like if FF esr 52.x.x were still being developed, and with XP-specific support in mind, on top of it.

thanks, i try basilisk but sadly is not working in a website i use every day

https://es.wallapop.com/

Is impossible to login (newmoon or official palemoon neither)

3 hours ago, trevmar said:

I use both Basilisk and NewMoon so that I don't have to waste time dealing with incompatibility problems such as this. I also use the "User Agent" plug-in, often telling sites I am an iPhone so that they display a usable page. Sometimes one can't rely 100% on browsers any more, HTML has become a programming language, and has to be treated/debugged as such...

Yes, thats why i need to have firefox 52,  i dont want to waste HDD space,  but no choise

3 hours ago, Flame. said:

geneies.png.2337e15c74f93cb84c6a3b1e043b5c13.png

Thanks for test,  what version you use?  thanks

Edited by theelf

7 hours ago, theelf said:

Thanks for test,  what version you use?

Palemoon for Linux, versions 27.9.4 with recaptcha fix and 28.1 (current build) without fix (I guess it's already bundled now). I can't test any windows builds now, unfortunately.

Also I don't like the way youtube videos work in 28.x versions AND some addons failed to work, so I am back to using 27.

8 minutes ago, roytam1 said:

should I keep 3.4.x or patch it for XP?

I would keep 3.4.x

FFMPEG has been essentially stable for a decade, at least with respect to its decoding functions. I haven't looked into the details of what has been improved in function since 3.4.x but I would suspect it is basically cosmetic, maybe with some speed improvement..

I recall the change in Lame maintainers in around 2001 which broke its ability to produce compact MP3 files using ABR. When human factors are involved, such as audio and video, I am always wary of change...

Edited by trevmar

On 9/22/2018 at 6:20 AM, roytam1 said:
On 9/22/2018 at 4:30 AM, VistaLover said:

Do you happen to know where exactly in the compiled browser modules is the actual appVersion string stored?

this is stored in palemoon.exe and xul.dll.

Thanks :thumbup... I HexEdit-ed the only one instance of "28.1.0a1" inside the main executable (palemoon.exe) to "28.2.0a1" and this thing alone made the modded appVersion to be reported in most places that count, e.g.

1. The internal "about:" page

2. The dynamically constructed default UserAgent string...

3. The version used in/reported by the browser's Add-ons manager...

3. The version reported by the "Version in Add-on bar" extension...

I had to nit-pick manually so that "28.2.0a1" be displayed in some other locations, like:

1. about:addons -> Themes -> Default 28.2.0a1 (I had to patch ./browser/extensions/{972ce4c6-7e08-4474-a285-3208198ce6fd}.xpi file...)

2. about:support -> Version: 28.2.0a1 (32-bit) (This was very tricky to do; I had to hunt for and HexEdit two occurrences of the AppConstants.jsm file inside the main omni.ja file...).

3. Menu Bar -> Help -> Aboout Pale Moon -> Version: 28.2.0a1 (32-bit) (2018-09-21) (I had to patch an aboutDialog.xul file inside the ./browser/omni.ja file).

Sadly, I was unsuccessful in identifying which file is responsible for generating the following pref:

gfx.crash-guard.d3d11layers.appVersion;28.1.0a1

(which doesn't report 28.2.0a1, despite my modifications...); if anything, I learned a lot about the "insides" of the compiled browser's structure... :P

Thankfully, with your most up-to-date New Moon 28 build, you are now in the 28.2.0a1 version string! :thumbup

Edited by VistaLover

A minimum of precaution is required to use FF 52 ESR:

1) Use PsExec to run FF52 ESR  with limited-user privileges.

2) Protect FF with anti-exploit software.

3) Use Noscript or Umatrix or enable javascript blocking in Ublock Origin.

4) Some custom lists in UBO:

https://filterlists.com/

Edited by Sampei.Nihira