My Browser Builds (Part 1)

4 hours ago, Matt A. Tobin said:

It is my position that there is no legit reason to link to my commits or repository in any way shape for form. Roytam, you may take your time to comply with my requests. However, if you WANT to use my commit messages you may. HOWEVER, there is an additional issue with your distribution and compliance with the MPL.

As you are familiar, Section 3.2 requires that the person distributing covered software in source code form inform how and must make the source code form available to the recipients of the executable form. All you give are diff patches in regards to that. This is not defined as the covered software's source code form. As the Source Code Form is defined in the MPL as "means the form of the work preferred for making modifications." This means that patches and a link to me and my infrastructure are not enough. You MUST provide the altered files in the preferred form for making modifications. That means a complete code tree or at the very least the complete source files that have been modified as patch files them selves are NOT sufficient in and of them selves.

even mozilla doesn't provide complete tree for every tinderbox compiles, instead, they provided a repo.

if I use a repo to keep track the changes, your name will be appeared because you fill your name in author field, no matter if I click the "fork" button or take my time to cherry-pick every commits (not to mention if you put names in source files).

I actually don't think removing names is something reasonable now and you're trying to make things difficult.

1 hour ago, sdfox7 said:

@roytam1

Personally, if I were you, I would remove all references in your packages and compilations to Matt A Tobin and his work. He's not worth your aggravation!!! :thumbup

there are no references in my binary packages(unless he put his names into source code)

On 2/27/2019 at 5:43 PM, roytam1 said:

... you're trying to make things difficult.

you should do the minimal requirements, remove all references to those trolls in order to avoid any kind of advertising that they don't deserve and just ignore them in the future.

Edited by Tripredacus

Hey, my last post wasn't meant as actual hostility. You are doing the things and I wanted to make you aware of a potential problem with the patch based release of source code. That on your part doesn't affect me either way and I thought it might be useful but alright.

Being upset and offering you good advice isn't mutually exclusive you know lol

Edited by Matt A. Tobin

Regarding new names, haven't studied the old discussions yet, but would find it helpful to have some sort of recognizable family name. For XP-builds perhaps just XMoon, XFox... or RoyMoon - lol

1 hour ago, Matt A. Tobin said:

Being upset and offering you good advice isn't mutually exclusive you know lol 

True enough. Moreover, you're right in that, at least in Serpent, there's plenty of references to Pale Moon / Basilisk / Moonchild Productions / Binary Outcast / Matt A. Tobin / etc. in the "About Serpent" window and links therein, which must be rectified as requested. I don't use the other browsers, so I cannot be sure, but I presume the same applies to them, too. I'm sure @roytam1'll fix this to everybody's satisfaction, since there's no reason not to. My 2¢ only, of course.

for these, I don't know how to "remove":

projects/extrunner/app/module.ver:WIN32_MODULE_TRADEMARKS=Borealis and Binary Outcast are trademarks of Matt A. Tobin.
projects/mail/branding/official/locales/en-US/brand.dtd:<!ENTITY  trademarkInfo.part1   "Interlink Mail &amp; News, Binary Outcast, and all branding assets are copyright or trademarks of Matt A. Tobin">
projects/mail/branding/unstable/locales/en-US/brand.dtd:<!ENTITY  trademarkInfo.part1   "Interlink Mail &amp; News, Binary Outcast, and all branding assets are copyright or trademarks of Matt A. Tobin">
projects/navigator/app/module.ver:WIN32_MODULE_TRADEMARKS=Borealis and Binary Outcast are trademarks of Matt A. Tobin.

I wonder if I mask them out will work?

for *-history repo, his name is removed. Thank `git filter-branch --env-filter` for the job.

for my UXP and pm27 repo, people may need to reclone due to rewrite of git history, sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Edited by roytam1

2 hours ago, kitaro1 said:

This is not funny. MFSN was a discussion forum. There is a dispute now.
Such a forum is not for me. Tobin came with pretensions, anger and threats.
I'm going out of here.
Farewell.

I wouldn't react prematurely.  In a couple days, this will blow over.  It appears the parties are rectifying what they can.

Don't let a nasty person chase you away.

@roytam1 Don't worry about commit messages while using my repos.. Just don't mention me, my brands, etc in reference to your produced binaries.. That is fine.. Of course commits by me are by me.. Just about every commit in binoc-central is by me.

Thank you for making a true effort for me. I do appreciate it.

5 hours ago, roytam1 said:

I actually don't think removing names is something reasonable now and you're trying to make things difficult.

+1

I certainly would not be in any hurry to appease anyone who comes in here making ever-more ridiculous demands and who displays such overt hostility toward your projects and this community on other websites. But you do as you see fit; if you feel that it's best to do whatever you can to settle the issue then by all means proceed as you have been.

The absurdity of all of this is mind boggling. Most normal people who write a piece of software or code wish to be credited for their work, and here instead we have Matt Tobin who is so disgruntled by the fact that someone else dares to revert some changes he made to a piece of open-source software that he didn't even write in the first place that he throws a temper tantrum, removes his project code from the public, and screams like a child until someone gives him what he wants. And what does he want? His "name" removed from these forked builds, because he might accidentally have his name associated with "us", the unwashed, the untouchables, the Luddites; in other words those who dare to disagree with his worldview. Sad. :no:

Matt & Roytam, glad to see things are being worked out.

You two are separated by thousands of miles, different cultures, and different languages.

But you share in having great technical gifts, independent personalities, and a desire to enjoy your craft.

Please keep your dialog going :)

3 hours ago, dencorso said:

...  I'm sure @roytam1'll fix this to everybody's satisfaction, since there's no reason not to. My 2¢ only, of course.

+ 1  :thumbup

Well, now if it's all over but the re-naming.. :whistle:

I'll resubmit my previous suggestion as shortened by Destro - "Lunaris" for your version of Pale Moon; or maybe at this point "LunarFox" would be better since you now have to work back to Firefox from Pale Moon rather than the other way around :rolleyes: (plus it should make for an interesting icon! lol). And possibly "Draconis" for Basilisk?