My Browser Builds (Part 1)

Well, they said it would work:

On 10/19/2019 at 5:54 PM, kitaro1 said:

Another firefox comodo icedragon fork on FF 65 has quick startup and fast gmail support. Neither serpent, any newmon and mypal have a quick start. Icedragon you will polish, add a lot of extensions and amaze with speed. It's much faster than firefox 70.0, than chrome.

Why authors of slow browsers do not use instant icedragon solutions? @roytam1

On 10/19/2019 at 7:14 PM, Mathwiz said:

Comodo IceDragon will run on 32/64 bit Windows 7, Windows Vista and Windows XP.

... but it won't run, at least not OOTB:

On 10/19/2019 at 8:21 PM, Kwasiarz said:

I've tried installing it on Vista, and while it indeed installed, after launching, Windows complained that it's not a valid Win32 application

I installed it on XP anyway, just to run Dependency Walker. And (no surprise), there are unresolved dependencies in KERNEL32.DLL:

AcquireSRWLockExclusive
AcquireSRWLockShared

... and in ADVAPI32.DLL:

RegGetValueW

So, it looks like a dry hole, folks. Despite claims, it does not run on XP. @kitaro1 must be running it on Win 7 or later. But on Win 7, I'd pick Waterfox over IceDragon, at least if I had a 64-bit CPU (which I do).

I suppose there's still (slim) hope for Vista. @Kwasiarz, can you check your installation with Dependency Walker? If there are unresolved dependencies, there's no point in trying to patch the min. Windows version to let it run on Vista. But I think the first two above are in Vista, so it's worth checking.

Oh, and @3dreal, no one ever claimed this would run on SSE-only CPUs. It would still have been surprising had it run on XP or Vista with an SSE2 CPU!

Edited by Mathwiz

It looks better than on XP, at least. There are missing imports, but they are in "delayed-load" .dll's. Hard to tell if they'll stop it from running, but they won't stop it from at least loading (if the minimum Windows version can be patched to 6.0, that is). So I guess there's still hope for Vista.

On 10/19/2019 at 8:21 PM, Kwasiarz said:

I've tried installing [IceDragon 65] on Vista, and while it indeed installed, after launching, Windows complained that it's not a valid Win32 application:

I'm quite certain you are wasting your time. As stated in Last versions of software for Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008, the last version of Comodo IceDragon to support Vista was 52.0.0.4, which was of course forked from Firefox 52 and was only available in 32 bit. Here's a Comodo thread from January 2018 in which staff member Shane states, "We confirm Comodo Ice Dragon 57+ won't support XP and Vista."

Regarding Windows XP, there's another old Comodo thread in which OP states that he couldn't install version 57 or even 52, so 49 may have been the last XP-compatible version.

So Roytam was probably right:

7 hours ago, roytam1 said:

I think they just "forgot" to update their website after they changed their base.

I haven't wasted *that* much time on this trivial pursuit, if it makes you feel better. Only took 20 minutes to download, install, run Dependency Walker, and uninstall again.

> I'm quite certain you are wasting your time. As stated in...

We are already quite aware of its OOTB limitations. The question now is: can it do anything after a bit of tweaking?
RegGetValueW can be hexed to RegGetValueA.
AcquireSRWLockExclusive and AcquireSRWLockShared can be hexed to SetLastError.

Unfortunately those are just the ones that jumped out at me. Digging deeper there are several more in MOZGLUE.DLL:

GetThreadId
GetTickCount64
InitOnceExecuteOnce
InitializeConditionVariable
InitializeCriticalSectionEx
InitializeSRWLock
ReleaseSRWLockExclusive
ReleaseSRWLockShared
SleepConditionVariableSRW
WakeAllConditionVariable
WakeConditionVariable

... and in ICEDRAGON.EXE itself:

DeleteProcThreadAttributeList
GetThreadId
GetUserDefaultLocaleName
InitOnceExecuteOnce
InitializeCriticalSectionEx
InitializeProcThreadAttributeList
ReleaseSRWLockExclusive
UpdateProcThreadAttribute

And Dependency Walker tells me RegGetValueA isn't in ADVAPI32.DLL either.

So it looks like a rather bigger task than at first.

@dencorso

As this thread is about to hit 200 pages, do you think it should be continued in a new thread now (keeping the original intact of course, but locked)?
It is getting rather unwieldy, and on many other forums I use the mods lock threads and start continuation threads when they are deemed to be too long.
:)

3 hours ago, Dave-H said:

@dencorso

As this thread is about to hit 200 pages, do you think it should be continued in a new thread now (keeping the original intact of course, but locked)?
It is getting rather unwieldy, and on many other forums I use the mods lock threads and start continuation threads when they are deemed to be too long.
:)

Gladly. Unless @roytam1 objects.