My Browser Builds (Part 1)

45 minutes ago, LoneCrusader said:

Well, now if it's all over but the re-naming.. :whistle:

I'll resubmit my previous suggestion as shortened by Destro - "Lunaris" for your version of Pale Moon; or maybe at this point "LunarFox" would be better since you now have to work back to Firefox from Pale Moon rather than the other way around :rolleyes: (plus it should make for an interesting icon! lol). And possibly "Draconis" for Basilisk?

It's not all-over, and I just finished my side of effort and doesn't know the other side yet.

I'd like to have a poll for the names, is it possible in the forum?

BTW, can the posts related to "the incident" be split as separated thread?

@roytam1

I would like to start this post by saying that I believe SOME of my interpretations from you and reactions to me have been partly hampered by cultural and language issues.. That isn't to say I don't have my moments of being a complete a s s h o l e or anything.. Everyone knows this but perhaps we can start to correct some of that going forward.

I hope you get a chance to go through your website soon but if you are working at your job and are loosing sleep over this then do take your time. Your good faith efforts will be enough for me. As for your rebranding efforts.. I want to renew my offer to help you work out all the branding points you need to deal with in the actual codebase.

The one specific issue is the navigator codebase.. SeaMonkey never fully separated out branding from the rest of the main application code as Firefox and Thunderbird did over time so I have to completely rework how branding works in Navigator to accommodate that for not only my project but also people who do rebuilds and forks. As well as consistency sake.

I want to help you make your selection of products for Windows XP unique to you and to be as successful as possible. You do seem to want to do your own thing past simple rebuilds and I can very much respect that.. So let's work together to make sure you and your users have products they can be proud of.

@LoneCrusader

As an aside, Lunaris and Draconis are AWESOME names and I am jealous I didn't think of them.

Edited by Matt A. Tobin

19 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

For New Moon, there were numerous suggestions near the start of this thread - even some logos IIRC. It started to remind me of the running subplot on Star Trek: Voyager where the emergency medical hologram couldn't come up with a name for himself. At the end of the 7-year series, he finally settled on "Joe."

If it were me, I'd just pick one of those and be done with it. We all knew New Moon was only supposed to be a temporary name anyway.

As for Serpent, MailNews, and Navigator, I'm sure we can come up with something.

I like "Joe" :yes:.

It is simple and short enough, a lot less pretentious than "Navigator" or similar, and I cannot remember any other browser with a similar name.

To be fair I wouldn't have disliked "Matt", but besides the risk of a legal battle on the property of the name, the double T could cause spelling errors, and the possible interpretation as "not-glossy" wouldn't have been nice ;)

jaclaz

2 hours ago, jaclaz said:

I like "Joe" :yes:.

It is simple and short enough, a lot less pretentious than ...

Jaclazz, I still use the text editor called "Joe" in Linux systems. It was in the original 1990's builds, with compatible command interfaces for Wordstar, Emacs, etc. Surprisingly it is still in the repositories for the major distributions. Joe is a good name, apparently with a lasting pedigree, there would be little confusion between the browser and the editor of the same name :)

ps: Roytam: Thanks for all you are doing for us :)

Edited by trevmar
typo

13 hours ago, Matt A. Tobin said:

Your good faith efforts will be enough for me.

Great! And, BTW, welcome to MSFN, Matt! :hello: Constructive attitudes lead to awesome results.

13 hours ago, Matt A. Tobin said:

I want to help you make your selection of products for Windows XP unique to you and to be as successful as possible. You do seem to want to do your own thing past simple rebuilds and I can very much respect that.. So let's work together to make sure you and your users have products they can be proud of.

Amen to that! :thumbup

=====

Now, for the Pale Moon fork, I wish to renew my initial proposal of the "Bright Night" name, whereas, for the Basilisk/Serpent fork (my favorite and the one I use every day), let me suggest: Jörmungandr! :yes:

Tobin in msfn lol am I dreaming ?

Remember me Tobin , I am the guy who troubled you and moonchild in pm26 days for keeping some old libraries in your source. But you guys updated it within next official release.

Do me a one favour , don't call any XP user as moron. In open-world everyone has right to use their favourite os .

He looks like a member from 2007 when I just knew how to turn on computer, play pinball and paint

Edited by Dibya

@dencorso

I had my rant and anger spell.. Time for something more constructive so ye.

@Dibya

Vaguely. I still think using Windows XP in today's world outside of very extreme and edge cases is a bad idea but this stuff exists so I may as well be constructive rather than destructive. Obviously, @roytam1 is doing more than the shameful rebuilds for XP leeching off our names or whatever it was I said.. He is creating something unique as we have done.. SO I am committing my self to helping him succeed in whatever way I can contribute toward. That way we all get what we want and it isn't just an angry Tobin busting down the door looking for logos or whatnot.

A real project or projects such as these deserve their own name and support from others just as ours do.. So that is why I am changing gears here.

However, and you won't like this but if I feel the person in question is a moron I am gonna call them a moron regardless.. Call it a personality flaw.
Though, that status can always be re-evaluated ;)

Edited by Matt A. Tobin

21 hours ago, roytam1 said:

It's not all-over, and I just finished my side of effort and doesn't know the other side yet.

BTW, can the posts related to "the incident" be split as separated thread?

Polls can be done. Just switch to the "Poll" tab after you click "Start New Topic." :)

As for splitting the thread, dencorso will have to decide on that. My forum mod powers aren't global.

20 hours ago, Matt A. Tobin said:

@roytam1

I would like to start this post by saying that I believe SOME of my interpretations from you and reactions to me have been partly hampered by cultural and language issues.. That isn't to say I don't have my moments of being a complete a s s h o l e or anything.. Everyone knows this but perhaps we can start to correct some of that going forward.

I hope you get a chance to go through your website soon but if you are working at your job and are loosing sleep over this then do take your time. Your good faith efforts will be enough for me. As for your rebranding efforts.. I want to renew my offer to help you work out all the branding points you need to deal with in the actual codebase.

The one specific issue is the navigator codebase.. SeaMonkey never fully separated out branding from the rest of the main application code as Firefox and Thunderbird did over time so I have to completely rework how branding works in Navigator to accommodate that for not only my project but also people who do rebuilds and forks. As well as consistency sake.

6 hours ago, Matt A. Tobin said:

@dencorso

I had my rant and anger spell.. Time for something more constructive so ye.

@Dibya

Vaguely. I still think using Windows XP in today's world outside of very extreme and edge cases is a bad idea but this stuff exists so I may as well be constructive rather than destructive. Obviously, @roytam1 is doing more than the shameful rebuilds for XP leeching off our names or whatever it was I said.. He is creating something unique as we have done.. SO I am committing my self to helping him succeed in whatever way I can contribute toward. That way we all get what we want and it isn't just an angry Tobin busting down the door looking for logos or whatnot.

A real project or projects such as these deserve their own name and support from others just as ours do.. So that is why I am changing gears here.

However, and you won't like this but if I feel the person in question is a moron I am gonna call them a moron regardless.. Call it a personality flaw.
Though, that status can always be re-evaluated ;)

I remember at one time you actually provided XP x64 compatible builds of Pale Moon when the official version was no longer supporting it. Based on our first encounter several years ago now I knew you had, shall we say, a "condescending" attitude toward older systems, but I never understood how you could go so quickly from providing those unofficial builds for unsupported XP x64 to being so vehemently opposed to anyone who even mentions retaining compatibility for NT5.x...
But I digress, and if I continue this will be way off-topic, and pointless.

Anyway, I'm glad to see that you're taking a more constructive approach. I just hope it is truly in good faith. Maybe something good can come of this, and we can avoid any more unwarranted negativity, here and elsewhere as well. :angel

20 hours ago, Matt A. Tobin said:

@LoneCrusader

As an aside, Lunaris and Draconis are AWESOME names and I am jealous I didn't think of them.

I never dreamed there would be occasion to say this, but thanks! :)

Regarding netflix:

Last builds of newmoon's fork of PM27 and PM28 are able to play netflix (with silverlight) when (otherwise vainilla) I change general.useragent.compatMode to 0. On first entry to the stream it says error -you then reload and watch. This will of course require to do the shift every time you watch netflix if you need firefox or gecko compatibility.

For the last build of newmoon's fork for basilisk, it works by adding the strings general.useragent.override.netflix.com and general.useragent.override.netflximg.net with
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:45.9) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/45.9.  As above, on first entry to the stream it says error -you then reload and watch.  The entry general.useragent.compatMode does not exist in the vainilla version. But it doesn't seem to make a difference for netflix. One way to partially solve this is to add the overrides maintained in the forks for PM27-28, as in image below.

EDIT2: The hack got detected last night - so over successive reports, it wouldn't work.  The next solution is to add general.useragent.override.nflxo.net and general.useragent.override.nflxext.com, with the same Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:45.9) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/45.9. If this gets found out again, I will not publish the next hack.  as of 21:00 ARG, it works.

EDIT 3: last changes in https://o.rths.cf/basilisk/basilisk52-g4.1.win32-git-20190309-7e0d3b80f-xpmod.7z make it unnecessary add the items listed above. If you still get a 200 error, msg me. I hope it will soon be solved without human intervention,

Noname.thumb.png.2304cfbfbfe35129e2c506fe398475fe.png

This is on my xp vm -heavily tweaked, so who knows. 

Edited by dmiranda
Update for basilisk (including useragents for all fancy massmedia)

@LoneCrusader

Yes, I did do Pale Moon for Windows XP starting with XP64. Windows XP 64bit was actually NT 5.2 so it's code lifetime was in line (even if Microsoft fudged it) with Server 2003. I did expand to doing XP32 as well and I decided I would provide builds specifically for Windows XP since the codebase we used in combo with the compiler optimizations didn't like NT51 compile targets running on NT6x with that combo of optz so I had to use more conservative optimizations. So the mainline binaries started targeting NT60 with the aggressive optz and I provided the NT51 targeted ones with more conservative optz.

Now the use of the Pale Moon name and branding as well as the Pale Moon for Windows XP splash image on the page were done with full permission from Moonchild so they were not unofficial, they were officially endorsed builds under the Pale Moon branding and redist license. I always leave in a way out in any kind of software commitment which was that I would produce these binaries until the end of life for Windows NT 5.2 (5.1 already ended but I ignored that since issues between both with rare exception would apply or not across the NT5x spectrum).

See: https://web.archive.org/web/20150414135447/http://binaryoutcast.com/projects/pm4xp/

Once NT 5.2 EoL'd which was conveniently after the last version of the 26.x series it was done. Tycho would target Vista and I would not be doing PM4XP binaries anymore. I had my way out and XP was not a consideration anymore.. Cause we knew many libs would start dropping support as well and it was holding back certain technological advancements and also has quite a respectable number of alt code paths. For us it was the best decision to move forward.

See: https://web.archive.org/web/20151022140405/http://binaryoutcast.com:80/projects/pm4xp

Now the REASON I did it originally.. Well back in those days I was far more glory seeking and wanted to attach my self and my brand to Pale Moon's greatness for selfish reasons. That is almost never a factor in what I do today though. It did have the benefit of providing what was needed at the time when the issues of running a Mozilla-style application targeted to NT5x on NT6x at the code state it was in was discovered but PM4XP was not as pure as what I have done since then.

So there that is. Explained.

Edited by Matt A. Tobin

19 hours ago, Matt A. Tobin said:

As we started using a bit of lawyerese in this thread, I'd suggest this might be violating paragraph 7.b of MSFN forum rules as long as you act like that in here, but what do i know... ;)

Glad it turned from rage and anger to constructive discussion and all's on track again.

On 2/28/2019 at 12:44 AM, roytam1 said:

Yes; just start a new topic and click "Poll:"Capture.thumb.PNG.9206ea61f184ad33a4914486cb64dbbd.PNG

Edited by Mathwiz

New build of Serpent/UXP for XP!

Test binary:
Win32 https://o.rths.cf/basilisk/basilisk52-g4.1.win32-git-20190302-e64dae886-xpmod.7z
Win64 https://o.rths.cf/basilisk/basilisk52-g4.1.win64-git-20190302-e64dae886-xpmod.7z

source code that is comparable to my current working tree is available here: https://github.com/roytam1/UXP/commits/custom

NM28XP build:
Win32 https://o.rths.cf/palemoon/palemoon-28.5.0a1.win32-git-20190302-e64dae886-xpmod.7z
Win64 https://o.rths.cf/palemoon/palemoon-28.5.0a1.win64-git-20190302-e64dae886-xpmod.7z

Official repo changes since my last build:
- WIP fix 1 (c962e2051)
- Move default-enable pref to application. (c08b490c5)
- Update Basilisk FE code with HTTP Auth DoS protection. (f227feb6e)
- Make the Auth prompt DOS protection a browser-element opt-in feature. (c1ece93c2)
- Improve the http basic auth DOS protection heuristics. (e64dae886)

New New Moon 27 Build!

32bit https://o.rths.cf/palemoon/palemoon-27.9.6.win32-git-20190302-d0444154b-xpmod.7z
32bit SSE https://o.rths.cf/palemoon/palemoon-27.9.6.win32-git-20190302-d0444154b-xpmod-sse.7z
32bit noSSE https://o.rths.cf/palemoon/palemoon-27.9.6.win32-git-20190302-d0444154b-xpmod-ia32.7z

64bit https://o.rths.cf/palemoon/palemoon-27.9.6.win64-git-20190302-d0444154b-xpmod.7z

source repo: https://github.com/roytam1/palemoon27

repo changes since my last build:
- import changes from rmottola/Arctic-Fox:
 - Bug 1129223 - Remove local mozAfterRemotePaint events (a9aec8f51)
 - override -> MOZ_OVERRIDE (2de5b532c)
 - Bug 1129223 - Introduce new, more efficient mozLayerTreeReady event (9a363c950)
 - Bug 963921 - Clients of the JS API should use JS_DefineElement where appropriate (912f064c0)
 - Bug 1133746. Allow DOMProxyShadows to communicate to the JIT whether the shadowing is done by the expando object or not. (dbe537f12) (301eae9eb)
- aboutDialog: always show build date (e2ac38931)
 - Bug 1112164 part 0 - PrintUse: Use AnyRegister::name method for printing the name of Fixed register uses. (996f68005)
 - Bug 1112164 part 1 - x86/x64 lowerForFPU: Do not reuse the input register if the MIRType are different. (8722bfc62)
 - Bug 1112164 part 2 - Rename ReturnSimdReg to ReturnInt32x4Reg and ReturnFloat32x4Reg. (158171a74)
 - Bug 1112164 part 3 - Add {Float,}Register::Encoding to represent what can be decoded from the assembly. (64a7488e8)
 - Bug 1112164 part 4 - SimdReinterpretCast: Do not use redefine as the MIRType of the input & output are different. (441077b2b) (e9a10fb1a)
- configure: remove restriction of redist DLL location (ba8924b6e)
 - add X11 flags to allow building on NetBSD (72667df53)
 - Bug 1122856 - OdinMonkey: Split out the flag that says "bounds checks are unneeded because of signal handling" (36bb96c9e)
 - Bug 986981 - OdinMonkey: Optimize addresses with constant offsets on x86 and x64 (e0fd22c6e)
 - Bug 1138205 - use a reinterpret_cast instead of a static_cast after bug 986981, fixes build on OpenBSD/amd64. (5e1dd72a1)
 - Bug 1138180 - Make --disable-ion compilable again. (f835126ba) (d0444154b)

* Notice: Due to a rewrite of git history, old git commit hashes are not matched. Please use corresponding commit message to search back the hash. Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Edited by roytam1

New regular/weekly KM-Goanna release:
https://o.rths.cf/kmeleon/KM76.1.1-Goanna-20190302.7z

Changelog:

Out-of-tree changes:
* update Goanna3 to git 2e31415af..d0444154b:
 - Bug 1129223 - Remove local mozAfterRemotePaint events (a9aec8f51)
 - override -> MOZ_OVERRIDE (2de5b532c)
 - Bug 1129223 - Introduce new, more efficient mozLayerTreeReady event (9a363c950)
 - Bug 963921 - Clients of the JS API should use JS_DefineElement where appropriate (912f064c0)
 - Bug 1133746. Allow DOMProxyShadows to communicate to the JIT whether the shadowing is done by the expando object or not. (dbe537f12) (301eae9eb)
- aboutDialog: always show build date (e2ac38931)
 - Bug 1112164 part 0 - PrintUse: Use AnyRegister::name method for printing the name of Fixed register uses. (996f68005)
 - Bug 1112164 part 1 - x86/x64 lowerForFPU: Do not reuse the input register if the MIRType are different. (8722bfc62)
 - Bug 1112164 part 2 - Rename ReturnSimdReg to ReturnInt32x4Reg and ReturnFloat32x4Reg. (158171a74)
 - Bug 1112164 part 3 - Add {Float,}Register::Encoding to represent what can be decoded from the assembly. (64a7488e8)
 - Bug 1112164 part 4 - SimdReinterpretCast: Do not use redefine as the MIRType of the input & output are different. (441077b2b) (e9a10fb1a)
- configure: remove restriction of redist DLL location (ba8924b6e)
 - add X11 flags to allow building on NetBSD (72667df53)
 - Bug 1122856 - OdinMonkey: Split out the flag that says "bounds checks are unneeded because of signal handling" (36bb96c9e)
 - Bug 986981 - OdinMonkey: Optimize addresses with constant offsets on x86 and x64 (e0fd22c6e)
 - Bug 1138205 - use a reinterpret_cast instead of a static_cast after bug 986981, fixes build on OpenBSD/amd64. (5e1dd72a1)
 - Bug 1138180 - Make --disable-ion compilable again. (f835126ba) (d0444154b)

* Notice: the changelog above may not always applicable to XULRunner code which K-Meleon uses.

A goanna3 source tree that has kmeleon adaption patch applied is available here: https://github.com/roytam1/palemoon27/tree/kmeleon76

** Notice: Due to a rewrite of git history, old goanna3 git commit hashes are not matched. Please use corresponding commit message to search back the hash. Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Edited by roytam1