My Browser Builds (Part 1)

26 minutes ago, jaclaz said:

How come it is "boc-uxp" (and not "BinOC-uxp")? :dubbio:

jaclaz

codename. I think I have the right to choose the name of that directory, no matter it is cf69fed1697d94a058f6074ab55fd6094a200a3ec1af1e806fe537f1d115c2d283f7a083fdcb157a2abe0fda98d74f3b31ca0484aa803e48177dbb53eb1cdd34 or tVnRIF7Nvg4Ywlcv4zUffArn+LyLpeCPezvyqEXTw2RF5gU1skMG87JFy0KiaPVy or anything else.

BTW for Borealis™, I can only remember this: https://www.borealisgroup.com/company/about-borealis/overview

Edited by roytam1

Plus isn't Matt just using SeaMonkey and altering it into a browser-only product?

By the way, everyone knows I'm not stuck on the continued use of XP.  BUT .... BUT .... as it stands, native Seamonkey can still run on XP, can't it?   Now if Borealis can't, then isn't Matt doing the same thing to the Mozilla code that he accuses Roytam1 of doing to Borealis and Interlink?

Here's the way I see it.  Even if I shake my head at those still using XP, I'm not going to put up intentional road-blocks, just to make life miserable for those people.  So Matty Boy, why not just let Roytam1 continue compiling these applications for XP and Vista compatibility?  Forget about "following the agreement to the LETTER"; what about exercising the spirit of the license.  Think about it - other than your arrogant and hostile attitude, they ACTUALLY LIKE your work, and want to use it.  How much bigger of a compliment can you get?

1 hour ago, roytam1 said:

codename. I think I have the right to choose the name of that directory, no matter it is cf69fed1697d94a058f6074ab55fd6094a200a3ec1af1e806fe537f1d115c2d283f7a083fdcb157a2abe0fda98d74f3b31ca0484aa803e48177dbb53eb1cdd34 or tVnRIF7Nvg4Ywlcv4zUffArn+LyLpeCPezvyqEXTw2RF5gU1skMG87JFy0KiaPVy or anything else.

BTW for Borealis™, I can only remember this: https://www.borealisgroup.com/company/about-borealis/overview

You'll have to concur that "anything else" is easier to make a reference to than:

"cf69fed1697d94a058f6074ab55fd6094a200a3ec1af1e806fe537f1d115c2d283f7a083fdcb157a2abe0fda98d74f3b31ca0484aa803e48177dbb53eb1cdd34 or tVnRIF7Nvg4Ywlcv4zUffArn+LyLpeCPezvyqEXTw2RF5gU1skMG87JFy0KiaPVy".

And I am not discussing your freedom of naming things :), only highlighting the risk of you being sued, from what I understand, the usage of "boc" instead of "BinOC" is seen by the Trademark holder as a problematic misnaming/wrong short naming.

jaclaz

3 minutes ago, jaclaz said:

You'll have to concur that "anything else" is easier to make a reference to than:

"cf69fed1697d94a058f6074ab55fd6094a200a3ec1af1e806fe537f1d115c2d283f7a083fdcb157a2abe0fda98d74f3b31ca0484aa803e48177dbb53eb1cdd34 or tVnRIF7Nvg4Ywlcv4zUffArn+LyLpeCPezvyqEXTw2RF5gU1skMG87JFy0KiaPVy".

And I am not discussing your freedom of naming things :), only highlighting the risk of you being sued, from what I understand, the usage of "boc" instead of "BinOC" is seen by the Trademark holder as a problematic misnaming/wrong short naming.

jaclaz

It is not an abbreviation of Binary Outcast™ and I never declare it is.

"boc-uxp" / "BOC/UXP" is just *my* reference for that group of binaries.

Edited by roytam1

2 minutes ago, Mathwiz said:

Wasn't @dencorso working on some artwork of his own for Serpent?

Perhaps he'd be willing to share

To fully compliance with their rules, names need to be changed besides artworks, including New Moon and MailNews and Navigator.

For New Moon, there were numerous suggestions near the start of this thread - even some logos IIRC. It started to remind me of the running subplot on Star Trek: Voyager where the emergency medical hologram couldn't come up with a name for himself. At the end of the 7-year series, he finally settled on "Joe."

If it were me, I'd just pick one of those and be done with it. We all knew New Moon was only supposed to be a temporary name anyway.

As for Serpent, MailNews, and Navigator, I'm sure we can come up with something.

7 hours ago, Matt A. Tobin said:

or at least give it a "Based on Interlink Mail & News" or "Based on Borealis Navigator" and put up a disclaimer on his downloads page that these builds are not in any way affiliated or distributed by Binary Outcast

20 minutes ago, Matt A. Tobin said:

Remove my name, my organization, and my brands from ALL of your pages in that case. All of it. I want no mention of it.

just confused. should I put on disclaimer? or not?

Remove all mention of Binary Outcast, BinOC, Matt A. Tobin, Borealis, Interlink any variation there of past and future.. You can use your "boc" or whatever but I want no mention of me, my organization, my products, my brands, anywhere on your site or in casual reference.

I will make the necessary branding modifications to the navigator then you can do whatever you like with the code and I hope never to hear from you or your people again. I want no part of you or your projects even referential. Satisfy THAT and I will make the repository public again.

Edited by Matt A. Tobin

27 minutes ago, Matt A. Tobin said:

Remove all mention of Binary Outcast, BinOC, Matt A. Tobin, Borealis, Interlink any variation there of past and future.. You can use your "boc" or whatever but I want no mention of me, my organization, my products, my brands, anywhere on your site or in casual reference.

I will make the necessary branding modifications to the navigator then you can do whatever you like with the code and I hope never to hear from you or your people again. I want no part of you or your projects even referential. Satisfy THAT and I will make the repository public again.

okay, I'll make this happen in one or two days, since there're lots of occurrence of "Borealis™" and/or "Interlink™" in my release posts. or non-release post (like this one, or by other forum members) I'll leave it unchanged.

(P.S.: does quoting git commit messages/author name counts? I have no clue if you put names into git commit messages/author name (if any))

Edited by roytam1

On 2/27/2019 at 6:10 PM, Matt A. Tobin said:

Remove all mention of Binary Outcast, BinOC, Matt A. Tobin, Borealis, Interlink any variation there of past and future.. You can use your "boc" or whatever but I want no mention of me, my organization, my products, my brands, anywhere on your site.

With all due respect to the author(s) of the Binary Outcast source code and the Trademark holders of related application names and artwork, the referenced "site" provides binaries compiled from forked code, code forked from the official Binary Outcast one; even in GitHub, when you fork a repository the forked repository contains at least one reference to the original repository in the form of a link to that one... So, in practical terms, what's the great harm if the original author/official brand name the derived product is based on is mentioned just once just to inform consumers of the products they're about to download? You mentioned in one of your earlier posts the possibility of  "confusing" users; I'd certainly be confused under that scenario (i.e. when no info is provided about the hosted product). Under your same logic, the Waterfox browser people should make no mention whatsoever to Mozilla and/or Firefox, the platform/app they forked from; but they do, in fact, include the following disclaimer in all of their website pages (including the download page):

Waterfox is NOT associated with Mozilla or its products.

Are they too acting in bad faith and/or in an illegal fashion? How is this different to @roytam1 having the following disclaimer:

These builds are not in any way affiliated or distributed by Binary Outcast™.

On 2/27/2019 at 5:43 PM, Matt A. Tobin said:

I gave you good faith instructions and you go and act snarky and utterly backhanded with it?

Apologies, I am not a native English speaker, so i had to look up "snarky" :

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=snarky

"Snarky" is used to describe speech with a specific emotional tone, typically a form of sarcasm informed by cheekiness and a mild, playful irreverence or impudence. When the dominant intent of the communication is to express or convey direct or judgmental rudeness, the sense of mild cheekiness is lost and the overall communication crosses the line to become "snide."

How you'd go and describe Roy's "actions" as "snarky" and "backhanded" is completely beyond me :huh: (???) ; all that was done was to comply to the wishes/suggestions expressed in the linked MSFN forum post; well, the screengrab of that post was added for "posterity", you know, because posts can always be edited ;) (just like "your coneys" was subdued to "your people"; BTW, I am noone's "people", I pride in not following "flocks" but make my own mind on things in both real and digital life...).

On 2/27/2019 at 10:26 AM, Matt A. Tobin said:

I will defend my trademarks and intellectual property including brand names.

I acknowledge several legal issues were raised with regards to the BinOC forked products (this is all very apparent to me now) and, as unpleasant as legal issues may be, these DO have to be addressed properly; this should have been conducted in an amicable manner, instead it has escalated into a Cold War Era confrontation, where each party is wary of the other and one party in particular is trigger happy, ready to push the "Nuke'em All!" red button...

At the end of the day, while the lawyers might be satisfied, all that remains for mere mortals is the hostility and bitterness in the atmosphere - in the long run, this is detrimental to everyone... :(

Regards

Edited by VistaLover

It is my position that there is no legit reason to link to my commits or repository in any way shape for form. Roytam, you may take your time to comply with my requests. However, if you WANT to use my commit messages you may. HOWEVER, there is an additional issue with your distribution and compliance with the MPL.

As you are familiar, Section 3.2 requires that the person distributing covered software in source code form inform how and must make the source code form available to the recipients of the executable form. All you give are diff patches in regards to that. This is not defined as the covered software's source code form. As the Source Code Form is defined in the MPL as "means the form of the work preferred for making modifications." This means that patches and a link to me and my infrastructure are not enough. You MUST provide the altered files in the preferred form for making modifications. That means a complete code tree or at the very least the complete source files that have been modified as patch files them selves are NOT sufficient in and of them selves.

I went through and collected most (can't guarantee all) of the names suggested early on as permanent replacements for "New Moon." Many reference XP, or at least allude to it (Bliss Moon, Luna). A couple (NyXP, Pale Mimas) refer to moons of planets other than Earth (including dwarf planet Pluto), providing an easy copyright- and trademark-safe source of icons. I suggest we organize a poll. Or @roytam1 can just pick one and we can get to work on artwork.

Mimas (image from Cassini spacecraft):

220px-Mimas_Cassini.jpg

Nix/Nyx (image from New Horizons spacecraft):

220px-Nix_best_view-true_color.jpg

Name Suggested by

Black Moon @98SE

MoonFade @burd

Waning Moon @Damnation

Bright Night @dencorso

NyXP @dencorso

XP Moonshine @dencorso

Darkmoon @Dibya

Bliss Moon @heinoganda

Bold Moon @jaclaz

XPM @jumper

(Lunar) Xpale @mixit

Luna @NT Five

Pale Mimas @roytam1

(There has to be a better way to insert tables on this forum! But this will do for now)

BTW, I've seen no suggestions so far for Serpent, so I'll start: Apophis!

Edited by Mathwiz