My Browser Builds (Part 1)

Moonchild takes the position that legacy addons no longer need to be updated since they will always work in their browsers.

That may be true for the most part but not for all of them. Newer addons that are interactive with the site, such as Enhancer for YouTube are constantly being updated for the simple fact that google is forever changing things.

Legacy addons that used to do that are now either broken to some extent or completely useless since the developers have abandoned them. And at some point Raymond Hill will end development of legacy uBO, it's just a matter of time.

That's why there's a need for webextension support whether most of us like it or not.

Edited by DanR20

9 hours ago, VistaLover said:

Enjoy! 

Super! Thank you very much. A suggestion was enough. I found the Youtube-DLG portable 96MB GUI. Slowly, but it gets from VOD. : D

Download mp4 extra:

8fa5f1f14544f38cgen.png

Edited by kitaro1

7 hours ago, kitaro1 said:

I found the Youtube-DLG portable 96MB GUI

(you and other eventual users: ) Be advised that:

1. This is NOT a true portable version, as it stores logs, settings and actually downloads youtube-dl.exe in "%APPDATA%\youtube-dlg" directory :angry:; there's an open issue for this at https://github.com/MrS0m30n3/youtube-dl-gui/issues/65

2. The binaries of FFmpeg+FFprobe bundled with the package are NOT XP compatible (require Win7+); you should replace them with XP-compat ones (e.g. v3.0 from VideoHelp archive).

3. The project appears to have become an abandonware, at least for Windows users :realmad:; last Windows release (0.4.0) was July 2017 (though last commit activity was Oct 2018 :huh:); in any case, I'm happy myself just using the CLI ;)

What problem?
I have no problem with me.
In my XP ffmpeg with github is installed.
FFmpeg-N-86763-g341f012-win32-shared_legacy.
I downloaded a portable version from direct links - https://www.dobreprogramy.pl/YoutubeDLG,Program,Windows,86713.html

https://www.virustotal.com/pl/file/4fed7cb6aa66e48b3344620e627c5fa4e8e92716db81e13683ea09dabf049b08/analysis/

I unpacked, launched, set and downloaded 19 films. Success.
I did not play with the links. After starting the movie on VOD, I pasted the URL from the address bar. In the program I added the URL of subsequent videos. I downloaded.

No problems.

The trick is that I block advertisements, harmful content and pop-ups, and so I have set that the websites do not detect blocking. I have good links in the address bar and unmodified to paste into youtube dll gui portable.
Youtube dong gui portable is cool !!!

Extensions enable:

Strict Pop-up Blocker    0.1.1-signed.1-signed    true    jid1-P34HaABBBpOerQ@jetpack

I don't care about cookies    2.6.7    true    jid1-KKzOGWgsW3Ao4Q@jetpack

Disable Anti-Adblock    3.1.1-signed.1-signed    true    {d49a148e-817e-4025-bee3-5d541376de3b}

uBlock Origin    1.13.8    true    uBlock0@raymondhill.net

Disconnect    3.15.3.1-signed.1-signed    true    2.0@disconnect.me

7bd1f4d90360113agen.png

Edited by kitaro1

55 minutes ago, kitaro1 said:

I downloaded a portable version from direct links - https://www.dobreprogramy.pl/YoutubeDLG,Program,Windows,86713.html

... Official download links from the official GitHub repository should always be preferred over third party generic "download" sites (like www.dobreprogramy.pl) :

https://github.com/MrS0m30n3/youtube-dl-gui/releases/tag/0.4

Just my 2p, of course ;) ...

15 hours ago, VistaLover said:

... Especially when the likes of Matt A. Tobin drive away the very few that express such an intention:

https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=21149

They said they were using New Moon; can't be sure, but it seems likely that refers to @roytam1's fork. But then the wrong word was mentioned: WindowsXP. That pretty much cuts off any discussion with Tobin. "New Moon is not Pale Moon!" Geez, Matt, no one said it was; will you help me port my add-ons to PM or not?

Does the add-on developer follow this thread? Tobin et al. may not be interested, but I bet folks here would be and many of us could help.

1 hour ago, Mathwiz said:

They said they were using New Moon; can't be sure, but it seems likely that refers to @roytam1's fork. But then the wrong word was mentioned: WindowsXP. That pretty much cuts off any discussion with Tobin. "New Moon is not Pale Moon!" Geez, Matt, no one said it was; will you help me port my add-ons to PM or not?

Does the add-on developer follow this thread? Tobin et al. may not be interested, but I bet folks here would be and many of us could help.

It's this kind of ridiculous nonsense that, in part, has caused the situation where we only have ond or two mainstream options when it comes to browsers. 

If he'd be a bit more open minded and do what some other developers have done ("we don't support XP or Vista anymore; our software may still work, but it's untested, so try it at your own risk, and don't expect us to help you if anything goes wrong")  PM could've been much more open. Instead, his attitude is, "I refuse to let my software run on anything not supported by MS, and anyone trying to do so is banned from any discussion".

What an excellent way to push users away!

c

Basilisk, KM76.1-Goanna

1. https://vod.tvp.pl/website/the-good-doctor,34932032

Video no play and display info:

CAN NOT BE DISPLAYED
Unfortunately, we can not display this video
Your browser does not meet the technical requirements.

2.  https://epit.podatki.gov.pl/

Display info:

Incompatible browser, you are using an outdated version of your web browser.

https://epit.podatki.gov.pl/browser/unsupported

MC's post is a lot less hostile than Tobin's, and it sort of makes sense: if you're going to develop add-ons for PM, you need to test your add-ons with the "stock" PM build, because that's the version 99% of PM users will use your add-on with. And that, of course, means testing on a Win 7+ system, so that "stock" PM will run on it. It doesn't mean you have to prefer the stock build - only that you have to test with it.

It's Tobin who seems to blow a gasket anytime he sees the letters "XP" together. Chill out, man! Whatever your feelings about XP, and however justified you believe them to be, it's not worth having a heart attack over. Let other folks make other choices for their own reasons. Freedom!

As for MC's sig, I sort of sympathize; I often find myself rewriting some program that was cloned from another program, and in the rush to get it running, a lot of unneeded code from the "original" source code was left in. Or the programmer used a generic structure better suited to a much more complex program than the one she actually wrote. Either way, you can make the program much easier to read, understand, and debug by removing all that extra code.

Where MC takes his sig too far is when he decides to remove functionality just for the sake of removing code, as in his recent decision to remove working WE APIs from Basilisk. Sure, that too can make your program easier to read, understand, and debug; but it also makes your program less useful!

On 2/20/2019 at 3:29 PM, cc333 said:

If he'd be a bit more open minded and do what some other developers have done ("we don't support XP or Vista anymore; our software may still work, but it's untested, so try it at your own risk, and don't expect us to help you if anything goes wrong")  PM could've been much more open. Instead, his attitude is, "I refuse to let my software run on anything not supported by MS, and anyone trying to do so is banned from any discussion".

What an excellent way to push users away!

c

I actually had an "extended discussion" with Moonchild some time back and attempted to point out just how illogical his position was in regard to older OS'es. It of course fell on deaf ears and he ended the discussion without even attempting to answer any of my points.

I tried to get across to him just how irrational it was to be committed to preserving an older "browser interface/UI" while at the same time being determined to discard support for any older operating system as soon as possible. With one hand he pushes the "latest and greatest" and insists people should "upgrade" and not use "outdated" operating systems; and with the other hand he promotes an "outdated" browser interface now built on "outdated" code and now using "outdated" addons (in the eyes of the same people who push similar "latest and greatest" rubbish), purposely breaking the already existing support for older systems that was already in place. How one can contort themselves into such a strange position and consider themselves as having a reasonable standpoint on the issue is beyond me.

When PaleMoon eventually starts bleeding off its users who subscribe to the flawed logic of "latest and greatest"; or when those remaining are left without options for addon/plugin compatibility and compatibility with the "modern" web, then I've got a feeling those of us here will have the last laugh, and can tell Moonchild and company "Welcome to the party, pal!"

28 minutes ago, LoneCrusader said:

With one hand he pushes the "latest and greatest" and insists people should "upgrade" and not use "outdated" operating systems; and with the other hand he promotes an "outdated" browser interface now built on "outdated" code and now using "outdated" addons (in the eyes of the same people who push similar "latest and greatest" rubbish), purposely breaking the already existing support for older systems that was already in place.

:buehehe: That's hilarious.

On 2/20/2019 at 5:56 PM, VistaLover said:

The binaries of FFmpeg+FFprobe bundled with the package are NOT XP compatible (require Win7+); you should replace them with XP-compat ones (e.g. v3.0 from VideoHelp archive).

On 2/20/2019 at 6:43 PM, kitaro1 said:

FFmpeg-N-86763-g341f012-win32-shared_legacy.

A 3 and 1½ year old binary respectively. I'd recommend a more up-to-date binary.