My Browser Builds (Part 1)

On 12/3/2018 at 12:08 AM, NM-Newbie said:

you are on Vista, I am on XP - is not New Moon specifically targetted for XP-users?

Here's how it went:

Pale Moon 27 (Tycho platform) did support Vista (and higher), but not XP; the New Moon 27 fork was created by @roytam1 to restore WinXP support; I can assure you that NM27 runs on Vista just as good (possibly better) as it does on WinXP...

Then Moonchild Productions created Pale Moon 28, built on the UXP platform; UXP forked MozillaESR 52, which did support both XP+Vista; but Moonchild Productions removed both these OSes from their forked platform, so that UXP now supports Win7+.

To the rescue came, again, @roytam1 :thumbup, who restored support in UXP for BOTH WinXP and Vista; in fact, New Moon 28 and Serpent 52.9.0 are almost the only browser choices for Vista users nowadays, browsers which are under continued development and not EOL'd... 

On 12/3/2018 at 12:08 AM, NM-Newbie said:

my platform/browser performance is HIGHLY effected by this "feature"...

And when have I disputed that? I merely said: 

On 12/2/2018 at 9:22 PM, VistaLover said:

Personally, I haven't seen any degradation in the performance of New Moon 28 by the introduction of the audio-in-a-tab indicator code,

Unless numerous other members (on XP/Vista/whatever) come forth here with the same affliction as yours, i.e. severe performance degradation of New Moon 28 as the result of the ported (from Australis) audio-tab-icon enhancement, let's, for the sake of argument, assume that, for the time being, what you're experiencing has to somehow do with your own setup(s).

For the record, the last NM28 build without the feature was (x86):

palemoon-28.2.0a1.win32-git-20181117-c94825c86-xpmod.7z

and this feature/enhancement was introduced first in (x86):

palemoon-28.2.0a1.win32-git-20181124-b37e8f87c-xpmod.7z

(and is still present in latest build...); so people reading this should test and report back, if this is to be troubleshot...

On 12/3/2018 at 12:11 AM, NM-Newbie said:

i submit that the folks that WANT this feature should continue to use the addon to provide this feature...

but that the underlying New Moon development should NOT be introducing "features" which DEGRADE its performance...

Calm down, please :o! You have to understand first that the New Moon 28 builds are provided by @roytam1 as a pure courtesy to WinXP and Vista users and under no circumstances is he any part of the decision making with regards to browser features that get implemented (or not!); the entire browser code is being modified upstream by the Moonchild dev team, @roytam1 only intervenes to the extent of making that code successfully compile and run on XP+, NOTHING MORE... This has been explained before in this thread, but I suspect its sheer size has now become a deterrent for new members to read it...

If you have a gripe about this feature, you should've directed your frustration over at Moonchild et company, not at Roy; but Moonchild only support "new" Win OSes (Win7+) and "new" hardware, so even that is a moot point...

To re-iterate, you may indeed have a genuine issue on your setup, but:

1. It's wrong to generalise as if every NM28 user on every possible configuration has that same issue (and issue directives/guidelines as to what people should or shouldn't install in their browsers)...

2. Even if you're the only one with the problem, you'd have to provide ample details and reproduction steps to the current maintainer so he's in a position to first reproduce and, second, hopefully offer you some fixes for it...

FYI, the code in the upstream repo that implemented this enhancement you detest is covered in UXP Pull Request #874:

https://github.com/MoonchildProductions/UXP/pull/874

You'll find there all links to individual commits...

========================

OT: Maybe it's my own false sense, but to me you're coming off as a tad aggressive in your last two posts (of a total of 3); this isn't very becoming of "new" members, especially when you expect feedback/help from other members here - we are all volunteers and, of course, no one is perfect, but we do try our best to help (at least I do... :)).

Edited by VistaLover

@NM-Newbie
If blocking that icon-pref doesn't help, perhaps the culprit is something else, some other changed default pref or whatever?
But if performance and bandwith are really crucial, I'd just block all "media" (video and audio) by default, then only allow temporarily when needed. Firefox had since ages a global pref for this ("permissions.default.media" / INT 1,2,3), which was so well hidden that it never even showed up on about:config, but worked anyway when users created it themselves there. Along with a bunch of other handy "permissions.default.xxxx" settings. Hopefully still works in newer versions too?
Or take a look at the "Block Content" addon, which offers a menu for that stuff too.

11 hours ago, NM-Newbie said:

1)  which version is recommended as the latest version/series WITHOUT the audio icon in the tab?

a)  palemoon-28.1.0a1.win32-git-20180922  --  the very last of the 28.1.0 series since this new "feature" was added during the 28.2.0 series?

b)  palemoon-28.2.0a1.win32-git-20181117  --  the weekly release just prior to this new "feature" being added?

3 hours ago, ED_Sln said:

These work:

So you're saying if they are are the v26.5 variety of Goanna, that New Moon and K-Meleon/Goanna works.  Am I correct?

:)

Thanks Roytam1

(For Tycho v27, I take it that KernelEx is required on Windows 2000?)

Edited by Jody Thornton

On 12/2/2018 at 8:22 PM, VistaLover said:

using in New Moon the Pale Moon extension Expose Noisy Tabs, which in fact shares almost the same code as the one introduced now natively in Pale/New Moon; so, if you had that addon installed in New Moon and have now updated to the latest build of it, you should disable/uninstall that addon, because; 1) it's now redundant, 2) may conflict with the native code and cause issues...

Well, I've tried completely removing ENT and well... after doing so and restarting NM, the ability to mute specific tabs has disappeared and I really have no idea why that happened. I'm using the very last build of NM 28.2 right now, can't upgrade to 28.3, since for whatever reason, it simply keeps crashing upon start.

6 hours ago, Tamris said:

I've tried completely removing ENT and well... after doing so and restarting NM, the ability to mute specific tabs has disappeared and I really have no idea why that happened.

... Are you by any off-chance using a third party theme for New Moon 28? For the moment, these don't support the new native feature (tab audio icon) and would have to be updated in due time... Read this and the following comment...

If you want to keep using your non-default theme, you can still utilise the new feature (to mute/unmute the audio in the tab) via the tab's context menu (second after "Reload tab"); or revert to the default theme (until your theme gets updated...).

I'm using the very last build of NM 28.2 right now,

Should be palemoon-28.2.0a1.win32-git-20181124-b37e8f87c-xpmod.7z (buildID [x86] = 20181123223555)

6 hours ago, Tamris said:

can't upgrade to 28.3, since for whatever reason, it simply keeps crashing upon start.

Can't comment on this, as I still haven't upgraded to it (Vista Home Premium SP2 x86 here.) Will probably do so tomorrow and let you know how it went :rolleyes:.

On 9/1/2018 at 6:07 PM, msfn-guest123 said:

here is a nuisance i wish would get fixed

don't recall how long this "line" has been in the left menu right-arrow-accessed sub-menus

it's barely visible but once you do notice it then you can't "not" see it

(i actually fix this via Stylem but shouldn't need to 'correct' the GUI in this manner)

2018-09-01_17-59-31.jpg

I'm fairly certain that this was fixed once but it appears to have snuck back in.

The green-circled line is only visible if you use XP's default setting of enabled for "Use visual styles on windows and buttons".

5 hours ago, VistaLover said:

... Are you by any off-chance using a third party theme for New Moon 28?

Yeah, I'm using Aeromoon, was even going to mention that but for some reason I didn't... at least now I know why I didn't have the speaker icon, thank you.

On 11/30/2018 at 7:43 PM, roytam1 said:

New build of BOC/UXP for XP! ... Browser-only Suite Win32 -->

https://o.rths.cf/boc-uxp/borealis.win32-20181201-9c5ff06-uxp-d7bb17571-xpmod.7z

I've been using this (RT) BorealisXP Browser, and so far, so GOOD on the experience. It seems very STABLE overall, NO crashes or 'lock ups' that I have seen them here. The 'BorXP' Browser seems now likely to be my 'go to it' one. With the NM28XP Browser as a very well working alternate choice here too. So, I'll be watching for any UPDATES of the (RT) BorXP Browser. THANKS on this! :)

Added later: I see that so far, there is a WEEKLY UPDATE of the (RT) BorXP Browser. Which here, the BorXP Browser seems to be somewhat BETTER (than NM28XP Browser) in general with my 'Old Laptop' WinXP SP3 overall hardware situation. So, to see these regular UPDATES of BorXP Browser is PLEASING. THANKS!

More Added: Basilisk55 (BK55, not BK52) Browser just got a December 2018 UPDATE, first in about three months. For me, the BK55 has always 'liked' my (Old Laptop) hardware BETTER than BK52 does.

Edited by TechnoRelic

2 hours ago, roytam1 said:

He's just lucky that GitHub have not imposed a "profanity" filter - simple as that <_< FWIW, anyone with a GitHub account can report @mattatobin  for using objectionable language... :whistle:

don't know who "Matt Tobin" is  --  DON'T CARE WHO MATT TOBIN IS !!!

i feel that this thread should be about discussing issues, bug reports, and OPTIMIZATIONS for New Moon (and other "roytam" releases)...

ie, if an "issue" is presented and the poster is presented with "this is how roytam wants it, it's free, you should accept roytam's release as-is", then let's be honest, how is that any different from whoever this "Matt Tobin" guy saying the same exact thing, "this is the way that I want it, i don't care if it is native or not"  ???  ???  ???

11 minutes ago, NM-Newbie said:

don't know who "Matt Tobin" is  --  DON'T CARE WHO MATT TOBIN IS !!!

i feel that this thread should be about discussing issues, bug reports, and OPTIMIZATIONS for New Moon (and other "roytam" releases)...

ie, if an "issue" is presented and the poster is presented with "this is how roytam wants it, it's free, you should accept roytam's release as-is", then let's be honest, how is that any different from whoever this "Matt Tobin" guy saying the same exact thing, "this is the way that I want it, i don't care if it is native or not"  ???  ???  ???

yeah there is a point. but why I posted it is that, that message will be in my next release notes, so I forespeak that I need to rewrite this message for my next BOC-uxp build's release notes (IF I can remember to do so)