My Browser Builds (Part 1)

1 hour ago, kitaro1 said:

DNS problem? TCP/IP?

XDD.

I test all browsers in VMWare with the same conditions in a clean installation of Windows XP without antivirus programs or others and some browsers work and others do not. It is not a connection problem.

New Yahoo mail fails with only New Moon 27, Mypal 27.9.4 and K-Meleon. Only classic Yahoo mail can be used.

Basilisk 52 always runs the classic mail.

Firefox 52.9.0esr, Firfox 45.9.10ESR SSE, Basilisk 55 and New Moon 28 does not fails.

Edited by wyxchari

Advanced Yahoo Mail in New Moon 27:

about:config
general.useragent.override.yahoo.com
Just add at end: Version/10.1.2 Safari/603.3.8

If you are in classic yahoo mail to change to advanced:
Firefox 52.9.0esr, mail.yahoo.com, Change to newer version, Close Firefox, Open New Moon 27 and it will be released in an advanced version.

Edited by wyxchari

I had been using NM27 SSE, very good and extremely fast. I encounered a bit of an issue, had trouble loading comments ( the guardian newspaper ). No problems what so ever using FF 52 .9,Basilisk 52 , Opera, Google chrome or seamonkey. I switched to NM28 and comments are loaded without any problem. I have to confess NM28 is the dog's bollocks. FF52 and Basilisk 52 are pretty

similar the latter uses a bit more cpu which is not really an issue. Basilisk 52 and NM27sse seem to suffer from the 23 minutes and a few seconds spinning wheel ( freezing ) curse on youtube videos same as FF52. I have not tried NM28 yet.

Roytam1 thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Just in case you are not aware of

https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2018/08/21/timeline-for-disabling-legacy-firefox-add-ons/

My ublock origin add on had been updated to version 1.16.20. When tried to revert to legacy version 1.16.4.4 Mozilla would not allow me to do it. the excuse was that add on not verified even though it was clearly stated in Releases . gorhill/ublock that legacy version is verified. https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/releases

Had to change xpinstall.signatures.required to false.

33 minutes ago, Tangy said:

the excuse was that add on not verified even though it was clearly stated in Releases . gorhill/ublock that legacy version is verified. https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/releases

Had to change xpinstall.signatures.required to false.

... You are not to blame, but you simply misunderstood :) The green Verified button on the GitHub repository:

xc5kdhH.jpg

has nothing to do with extension signing on AMO (addons.mozilla.org) (see here).

The legacy (XUL) version of uBlock0 on GitHub is not signed, hence it couldn't be verified by Firefox for installation; in fact, if you navigate to the installation instructions for the XUL flavour, it is stated that:

With Firefox 43 and beyond, you may need to toggle the setting xpinstall.signatures.required to false in about:config

18 hours ago, Jody Thornton said:

But now I notice that Facebook seems faster on New Moon 27.  Hmmmmmm - Me thinks I'll go back to it perhaps.

16 hours ago, roytam1 said:

PM27 is faster than PM28 about browsing facebook timeline, but still strugglish when comparing with blink-based browsers.

it's not my case. the PM27 is equal to PM28, although Basilisk is even worse and as bad as FF52

if you want to feel the difference when scroling FB TL down give a try to Vivaldi, Slimjet, Maxthon and UC browser.

the difference is like day and night

3 hours ago, VistaLover said:

... You are not to blame, but you simply misunderstood :) The green Verified button on the GitHub repository:

xc5kdhH.jpg

has nothing to do with extension signing on AMO (addons.mozilla.org) (see here).

The legacy (XUL) version of uBlock0 on GitHub is not signed, hence it couldn't be verified by Firefox for installation; in fact, if you navigate to the installation instructions for the XUL flavour, it is stated that:

Ooops silly me. Thanks for the clarification !

Unfortunately NM28 got the 23 minute few seconds youtube syndrome.

5 hours ago, Chronius said:

There's this polish site with vids on demand I have problem with, whenever I try to load a video, instead of their player loading...(snipped) , all I get is a black, empty field:

Is there any way to fix this somehow?

Hello there :)
 Since you appear to be a fellow Vista user, I decided to help and investigate...

Two major issues for me: 1)  I don't know any Polish, 2) (obviously) I'm not in Poland currently...
I had to use a lot of Google Translate to decipher all these messages (in Polish) I was presented with and to be able to click the right on-screen buttons... I then had to find video content that wasn't geo-fenced (restricted to Polish IPs, only ); I think I settled for

Ameryka-Marzen-Odcinek-12

I tried a variety of browsers on my Vista laptop, but to no avail; I suffered exactly what you reported, i.e. a black rectangle in the supposed place of their embedded player...
 I then kindly asked my sister to test that URL on her Firefox Quantum v61.0.2 (32-bit) copy on her Win7 SP1 64-bit laptop: she had to temporarily disable uBlock0 on that site, but, lo and behold, the programme started playing in an HTML5 player...

After some further troubleshooting I did, I think I've solved the riddle: That (nasty!) Polish site performs User-Agent sniffing and simply doesn't like the Vista (NT 6.0) part of the UA, so they decline to load their player on Vista machines (didn't test, but I'm sure the same fate is reserved for XP, too, i.e. NT 5.x) :angry::realmad:

The solution I chose was to apply a site-specific-UA-override (SSUAO) for "www.ipla.tv" to mimic Fx 62 (due imminently) on Win7 OS; in a "roytam1" browser (NM27/28, Serpent 52.9.0/55.0.0) open about:config and create a new string pref with

name=general.useragent.override.www.ipla.tv
value=Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:62.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/62.0

restart browser, clear cookies for "www.ipla.tv" and reload VOD page; you are then presented with

KCmsiyP.jpg

so you have to disable adblocker (ublock0 in my case) and reload :thumbdown:(; after reloading, you have to literally sit in front of at least 3min worth of ads; if you change to another tab, the ads and time counter are paused and only resume if you focus back to that tab... Very nasty behaviour indeed :realmad::thumbdown:angry::angry:

Finally, after the ordeal ends, main video starts playing:

tudmt2P.jpg

The test above was conducted on a Windows Vista SP2 32-bit Home Premium laptop, browser was latest New Moon 27 offering (v27.9.1a1, 32-bit, 2018-08-24) with lav-dll-lite-mmx dlls put correctly in place...

Edited by VistaLover

6 hours ago, Chronius said:

Also I've got another question and I hope reposting them is fine since last time I asked it was buried/ignored. How do I set the max version of a language pack to match the one of NM 28.1?

... I had explained this in fine detail in the past ;) ; perhaps it was lost when the forum's database was corrupted back in June :dubbio:

1. First grab latest Polish language pack (for PaleMoon 28) from http://addons.palemoon.org/language-packs/

Do not install in NM28, just save to file (it should have an .xpi extension, filename=pl.xpi).

2. An .xpi file is just a renamed .zip file; if you have 7-zip installed, it can decompress .xpi files without issue; if not, rename the file to pl.zip and use your favourite archiver app to extract to a pl folder.

3. Open the folder and locate file install.rdf ; open that file in a proper text-editor (Notepad++, PSPad, etc.); if you don't have a proper text-editor installed (you should), use Window's notepad as a last resort...

4. Locate line 31 of that file; it should read:        

<em:maxVersion>28.0.*</em:maxVersion>

5. Change "28.0.*" to "28.1.*", save the change and close the file in your text-editor.

{ 5a. Optionally, you can also change line 12 to read:

em:version="28.1.0"

and then save the change to file }

6. Select all contents of folder pl (but not the actual folder itself) and re-zip them back to a pl.xpi file (you can also rename that to 28.1.0_pl.xpi, for telling apart from original download...)

7. Open latest NM28 (v28.1.0a1) and navigate to about:addons (addons manager); drag and drop file (28.1.0_)pl.xpi; it should offer you to install it; a browser restart would be needed...

8. For the LP to apply, you'd have to set in about:config

general.useragent.locale;pl

(followed by another browser restart).

DISCLAIMER: The procedure outlined is just a hack; the localization may break with any future NM 28.1.x update, if new strings are added to the code by Moonchild devs for which no translated Polish strings are there in the installed pack; according to the extent of the breakage, some functions may be broken, or even the whole browser might be unable to start; in that case, start in safe mode, disable the language pack and restart in normal mode (en-US GUI). You should inquire about updated packs at the GitHub repo...

@kitaro1 : That should also interest you! ;)

@roytam1: Maybe also pin this post to first page, because people seem to be unable to apply what is a simple procedure for you and me...

On 8/25/2018 at 5:52 PM, roytam1 said:

you may need to edit 28.0 language pack's maxVersion to 28.1.0a1 in order to install.

Edited by VistaLover

16 hours ago, VistaLover said:

name=general.useragent.override.www.ipla.tv

value=Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:62.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/62.0

restart browser, clear cookies for "www.ipla.tv" and reload VOD page

I tried your IPLA.TV instruction (NM28XP), and success on the first try, VERY impressive.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1164682
https://support.spotify.com/us/using_spotify/system_settings/enable-the-spotify-web-player/

I was HOPING that you might know how to use this same type of strategy to get the SPOTIFY WEB PLAYER working in NM28XP. I tried a couple things but failed. There are apparently some DRM settings and some PLUGINS that you might need them. Any help would be APPRECIATED.

Added Later: I see where other MSFN users found the QUALITY reply of user VistaLover to be interesting and of value to them. All good as I see it.

Edited by TechnoRelic

On 9/1/2018 at 2:52 AM, TechnoRelic said:

I was HOPING that you might know how to use this same type of strategy to get the SPOTIFY WEB PLAYER working in NM28XP. I tried a couple things but failed. There are apparently some DRM settings and some PLUGINS that you might need them

I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but if you're asking specifically for the Windows XP SP3 OS and the Spotify web player on a Mozilla type browser, there exist several serious reasons this isn't possible!

1, Spotify is one of the commercial media outlets that heavily use DRM for content protection; on Firefox and its forks, content decryption is delegated to CDMs (Content-Decryption-Modules), which are closed-source modules ("blackboxed") bundled with the open-source browser, to satisfy user watching/listening needs.

2. Mozilla had first incorporated Adobe Primetime CDM for the decryption of DRM'd content (a CDM familiar to XP users, as it is currently being "exploited" to enable h264/aac decoding support in the FxESR 52.x.x browser (... and some of its forks); this is not, however, a use intended initially by the Mozilla devs ;) ), but that CDM was abolished in Fx 53.0+ in favour of the universally accepted, Google-owned, Widevine CDM.

3. As you probably know, all Mozilla browsers come without native support for patented decoders, like h264 (for video) and aac (for audio); if Mozilla went the "Google Chrome" way and bundled these decoders with Firefox, they'd have to pay annually huge sums of money as license fees to the patent holders (namely to the MPEG-LA group); they opted for a far less costly solution, that is to rely on system decoders (the ones bundled with the actual OS).

4. Speaking of Microsoft and the Windows OS, the first iteration of Windows with native h264/aac decoders came with the launch of Windows 7 OEM, though its predecessor OS, Windows Vista, was, too, equipped with similar support (be it less refined) when "Platform Update Supplement" for Vista SP2 was released via Windows Update.... Microsoft chose not to bestow h264/aac decoding support to Windows XP which is, in a way, the deal-breaker in your query...

5. Widevine CDM inside Firefox (or one of its forks) only executes decryption of the DRM'd media streams, the decrypted stream has then to be properly decoded to video and/or audio; Widevine in Firefox has been programmed to search for decoders only in the OS level (not the browser); remember that it is (very) closed source, this assumption is the result of tests only, no actual code for Widevine is, of course, publicly released...

6. Since Windows XP lacks native system decoders (and no, installed codec-packs don't work for Widevine), the Mozilla devs have disabled Widevine on XP, and only enabled it on Vista SP2 upwards; hence, minimum system requirements for services that employ Widevine on Firefox is WinVistaSP2+; however, since Vista has been EOL'd by Microsoft, this is currently read as Win7SP1+...

7. Specifically in the case of the Moonchild Productions' Pale Moon fork, because of their opposition to the closed-source nature of CDMs, they have purposely disabled DRM (CDMs) in the browser, so it's currently impossible to use DRM'd services (e.g Netflix, Amazon Prime etc.) in that browser, regardless of OS; the same holds true for New Moon 27+28, both Pale Moon forks...

8. Certain services that rely on Widevine did implement, at least in the past, a workaround when WV was absent in the browser, and that was to use the Microsoft owned Silverlight NPAPI browser plugin for both decryption+decoding; Silverlight has been deprecated by Microsoft and NPAPI plugins (except Adobe Flash) have been deprecated by all the major browser vendors, so using Silverlight in a browser as a WV fallback is pretty much a moot point; I am not subscribed to Spotify, so I can't be 100% sure it doesn't support Silverlight in Pale Moon (ergo New Moon); this chance is very bleak, if you ask me, though...

9. Of the rest of the "roytam1" browsers, excluding KM-Goanna and FxESR 45, only Serpent 52.9.0 and Serpent 55.0.0 were compiled with Widevine support, but, as stated previously, only if you are on Windows Vista SP2 or later; on XP, WV is disabled and doesn't show up inside about:plugins...

(NB: Widevine on Serpent 55.0.0 on Windows Vista was initially non-functional (worked OK in Win7+), but this was rectified in

https://github.com/roytam1/basilisk55/commit/cbc95b1 ; many thanks @roytam1 )

I wrote this analysis not only as an answer to your own query, but as a point of reference for other XP users... ;)

On XP, the only remedy I possibly see is trying to work things out with the last working version (49) of Google Chrome there; GC comes with its own version of patented decoders, and, AFAIK, has Widevine v1.4.8.903 inside; perhaps install an extension to fake a recent Chrome version to Spotify and see what comes out of it... Best of luck!

Edited by VistaLover

1 hour ago, VistaLover said:

I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but if you're asking specifically for the Windows XP SP3 OS and the Spotify web player on a Mozilla type browser, there exist several serious reasons this isn't possible!

https://www.spotify.com/download
SpotifyFullXPSP3.exe = filename

At the above URL, you can download the SPOTIFY WinXP stand alone APP.
And I have that installed and it does work for me here (WinXP SP3).
So, I am okay with that. I just wanted to see the SPOTIFY WEB PLAYER
in action too. Did NOT realize the complex issues on that.

Your DETAILED explanation above is of AMAZING quality, THANKS! :)

New build of basilisk/UXP for XP!

Test binary:
Win32 https://o.rthost.cf/basilisk/basilisk52-g4.1.win32-git-20180901-4f504d46b-xpmod.7z
Win64 https://o.rthost.cf/basilisk/basilisk52-g4.1.win64-git-20180901-4f504d46b-xpmod.7z

diff: https://o.rthost.cf/basilisk/UXP-xp-gitdiff-20180606.7z

PM28XP build:
Win32 https://o.rthost.cf/palemoon/palemoon-28.1.0a1.win32-git-20180901-4f504d46b-xpmod.7z
Win64 https://o.rthost.cf/palemoon/palemoon-28.1.0a1.win64-git-20180901-4f504d46b-xpmod.7z

Official repo changes since my last build:
- Refresh nsStringBundleService and nsHttpHandler when the browser locale is changed (02211f844)
- Add a horizontal scroll action option for mouse wheel. (f0e053a1b)
- Switch to using a single memory allocation arena (4ceb21241)
- Add missing } (4cbcba787)
- Merge pull request #733 from JustOff/PR_locale_changed_refresh (2dc1703c0)
- Don't build ffvpx on 32-bit platforms (except Windows) (a64465bde)
- Update installer strings for Pale Moon to match toolkit nsis installer. (f6d3d16ac)
- Update HSTS preload list (cc0e6c7ec)
- Sync disabled state of number control regardless of appearance. (693656e99)
- Fix incorrect code removal in ipc. (0bc251143)
- Merge pull request #741 from trav90/media-work (f266d26eb)
- Revert "Bug 1444668 - Avoid allocating large AssemblerBuffers. r=luke, r=bbouvier, a=RyanVM" (f214aa5db)
- Merge branch 'master' of https://github.com/MoonchildProductions/UXP (1edc7328f)
- Revert "Bug 1388020. r=nical, a=RyanVM" (4f504d46b)