My Browser Builds (Part 1)

> How hard would it be to use Goanna engine in kmelon and back-port kmelon so it could work on 98se with kernelex.
KM74_31 works enough to be usable, so maybe KM76+Goana 3.4.1 already does, too. I haven't had time to test it yet.

> it complained that msvcr120 had missing exports in kernel32
Not for me. Should load using KernelEx 4.5.2016.17. Ask for help in Kext: DIY KernelEx extensions.

On 4.12.2017 at 2:11 PM, roytam1 said:

EDIT: you may try this IA32 build to see if it works on processor that is no SSE/SSE2: https://o.rthost.cf/palemoon/palemoon-27.7.0a2.win32-git-20171203-f054802d7-xpmod-ia32.7z

and yeah it seems running fine without SSE

Thanks for your effort! I tried it on my K6-III+, but it won't start. While the old version was terminated instantly after a starting, this one actually loads for a few seconds. So I would call it an improvement. :-)

I hope I'll find some time next week to build New Moon myself.

1 hour ago, TheSnear said:

Thanks for your effort! I tried it on my K6-III+, but it won't start. While the old version was terminated instantly after a starting, this one actually loads for a few seconds. So I would call it an improvement. :-)

I hope I'll find some time next week to build New Moon myself.

Did you try the latest IA32 build? (Link-to-post is available in first post in page 1)

I tested in IDT WinChip CPU (i586 no-CMOV, no-SSE) on Win2000 without issue.

nmxp-w2k-winchip.png.c494fb8ccf5e412fbbb6e8e3bb3e92da.png

Edited by roytam1

Dear Roytam1!
BIG thank for Your job!
PaleMoon XP made possible browsing on the old Compaq (512mb memory) almost normal.
(And your build starts in few seconds faster than Feodor2's)
But memory usage still too big. (Every few minutes I have to close the browser, clean the cache and memory, and open again - continue browsing).
It is possible to make build without multimedia? 
(yes, totally no video/audio. 
I never use the multimedia capabilities in the browser). 
And no "inspector" and other advanced functions.
Only for browsing old-style sites (text + pics)?
I expect that this build will use less memory.
And will be "browser of my dream" :)

1 hour ago, mnogo999 said:

Dear Roytam1!
BIG thank for Your job!
PaleMoon XP made possible browsing on the old Compaq (512mb memory) almost normal.
(And your build starts in few seconds faster than Feodor2's)
But memory usage still too big. (Every few minutes I have to close the browser, clean the cache and memory, and open again - continue browsing).
It is possible to make build without multimedia? 
(yes, totally no video/audio. 
I never use the multimedia capabilities in the browser). 
And no "inspector" and other advanced functions.
Only for browsing old-style sites (text + pics)?

Try K-Meleon Goanna build then. ;)

1 hour ago, mnogo999 said:

... old Compaq (512mb memory) ...
... (yes, totally no video/audio. 
I never use the multimedia capabilities in the browser). ...
... Only for browsing old-style sites (text + pics)?

Sorry for being a little off-topic here, but I'd suggest trying QtWeb for your tasks. Once you turn off external plugins (they don't work nowadays properly anyway) and maybe s as well, it becomes the real mean humble texting machine. :) With only 35-40 Mb on start/one opened page, it should be exactly what you are looking for.

Expect crashes and misbehavior on some heavy/fancy sites though, as its engine is moderately old and based on Qt 4 Webkit.

Similar, but a bit less "spartan" option: Qupzilla, with its older versions also being based on Qt4, but with a little more web support and memory requirements. Older versions are available in a topic "List of Web Browsers Working with XP".

2 hours ago, Flame. said:

Sorry for being a little off-topic here, but I'd suggest trying QtWeb for your tasks. Once you turn off external plugins (they don't work nowadays properly anyway) and maybe s as well, it becomes the real mean humble texting machine. :) With only 35-40 Mb on start/one opened page, it should be exactly what you are looking for.

Expect crashes and misbehavior on some heavy/fancy sites though, as its engine is moderately old and based on Qt 4 Webkit.

Similar, but a bit less "spartan" option: Qupzilla, with its older versions also being based on Qt4, but with a little more web support and memory requirements. Older versions are available in a topic "List of Web Browsers Working with XP".

It is worth mentioning that QtWebKit requires SSE, that means every browser uses it requires SSE as well (I even can't figure out how to disable it in my QtWeb build)

14 hours ago, roytam1 said:

Did you try the latest IA32 build? (Link-to-post is available in first post in page 1)

I tested in IDT WinChip CPU (i586 no-CMOV, no-SSE) on Win2000 without issue.

Found it. Tested it. Runs perfectly! I expected the browser to be a lot slower than Opera 12.18, but it actually runs at pretty much the same speed.

1 hour ago, roytam1 said:

It is worth mentioning that QtWebKit requires SSE, that means every browser uses it requires SSE as well (I even can't figure out how to disable it in my QtWeb build)

Yep, could be useful for some people.

Why SSE is it required at all? I don't get it. O_o This should be platform-independent and Qt ARM builds are not considered something unique, right?

Also, if by any chance you have access to any static analyzer, please consider checking the QtWeb code with it, for crashes and memory leaks are some of the most notable problems of that browser, IMO.

Summary of tests:

Installed non sse version on a MSI 6378 mobo with 512 mb of ram, winxp sp3 (really ancient hardware). Ran well, much better than firefox 48.02. Also using process lasso from bitsum.com version 8.9 (free for xp and win2k users). Application really helps with browsing and services like svchost.exe, info on request.

Soyo mobo, via chipset vt8363 768 mb ram, windows 2000 athlon xp palamino 1600+ running at 1.4 ghz.  Using extended kernel and blackwingcat's updates.  Have not installed process lasso yet. Using only 15 services at the moment.

Win2kreviver

On 12/2/2017 at 9:11 AM, ivanbuto said:

Thanks, but can you please be more technical and explain why the codec pack is needed? I do already have MPC-HC as well as the Combined Community Codec Pack, so I do already have LAV Filters installed. Or do some more files need to be registered?

Getting back to my post... indeed with the build by roytam1, H.264 videos work just by copying the LAV dll files into the program folder. Again, why is this not sufficient with the build by Feodor2 and the k-lite codec pack needs to be installed?

I have another question, there is a website (Czech TV - www.ct24.cz) which currently uses the MPEG Dash protocol (in contrast to progressive download) for HTML5 video playback. At least this is the reply I got from their customer service. On Windows XP, this protocol doesn't work and no video is loading. Thus the only way to view their content is with Internet Explorer 8 through Adobe Flash Player.

Would there be any way to make MPEG Dash work under Windows XP?

6 minutes ago, ivanbuto said:

I have another question, there is a website (Czech TV - www.ct24.cz) which currently uses the MPEG Dash protocol (in contrast to progressive download) for HTML5 video playback. At least this is the reply I got from their customer service. On Windows XP, this protocol doesn't work and no video is loading. Thus the only way to view their content is with Internet Explorer 8 through Adobe Flash Player.

Would there be any way to make MPEG Dash work under Windows XP?

Maybe it is website specific issue?

Can you try http://dash-mse-test.appspot.com/dash-player.html?url=http://yt-dash-mse-test.commondatastorage.googleapis.com/media/car-20120827-manifest.mpd ?