My Browser Builds (Part 1)

11 hours ago, looking4awayout said:

To complete @VistaLover's post and as a proof, I will post a screenshot of the bookmarking feature working perfectly with Firefox 45 ESR SSE (latest build) on the RDD. The Netscape thingy and the custom icon are just edits done by me to "retroify" the look of XP further.

bookmarking.png

oh cool, this just LOOK GREAT.

10 hours ago, VistaLover said:

... However, @GlowingLights is rather interested in x64 browsers for his XP Pro x64 machine ;) ; most sadly, apparently SM 2.49.5 64-bit only supports Win7+ ... :angry:

No, I have a Vista 64-bit netbook and want to use the language pack for that.

Also SM 2.49.5 still supports XP x64/Vista x64 as long as you use the x86 version of SeaMonkey.

20 hours ago, VistaLover said:

@Vistaboy : Please do what @looking4awayout did (and it's the thing I always recommend when troubleshooting): create a new pristine FxESR 45.x.x profile, devoid of any extensions; safe mode only disables extensions and some gfx related features (e.g. HW acceleration, if applicable), but doesn't negate the existing prefs.js file inside your dirty profile!

You didn't tell us how your existing profile was initially created; often times, profile corruption due to mysterious extension interactions/conflicts, extension upgrades/downgrades and profile migration from different browser versions (from a higher Fx version to a lower one, not to mention between Firefox forks) may be the source of difficult to dissect issues...

BTW, can you still bookmark a URL via other approaches, e.g. the "star" toolbar button?

Best regards :)

Finally everything it's working, thank you for the correct advices: it was just a corrupted profile due to frequent switches between Firefox forks. Now i can bookmark in all the ways single star/all open tabs :thumbup

1 hour ago, GlowingLights said:

I have a Vista 64-bit netbook and want to use the language pack for that.

... If the CPU there has SSE2 support, you can always try running (if you haven't yet ;)) the latest New Moon 28 (32-bit/64-bit) / UXP for which, to the best of my knowledge, the officially provided Russian LP should work OK:

https://github.com/JustOff/pale-moon-localization/releases/download/28.7.0_RC3/ru.xpi

To install it, after saving the XPI on disk, it may be necessary to modify its install.rdf file, from

<em:maxVersion>28.7.*</em:maxVersion>

to

<em:maxVersion>28.8.*</em:maxVersion>

(since latest NM28 is at version 28.8.0a1 already...).

BTW, did the suggested 27.x ru.xpi work at all in NM27?

Greetings :)

On 9/22/2019 at 4:07 PM, VistaLover said:

Hi - I do hope you're fine :); however, what you report is nothing to be in awe of and/or exclusive to NM; "mixed content protection" has been implemented since Mozilla Firefox 23:

https://blog.mozilla.org/tanvi/2013/04/10/mixed-content-blocking-enabled-in-firefox-23/

https://support.mozilla.org/it/kb/blocco-contenuti-non-sicuri

Auguri :hello:

Thanks for interesting.
I'm fine and you?
Apart from a few problems with my phone line that today seems to be solved,

On 9/12/2019 at 7:53 PM, NoNameNeeded said:

Since there are thousands of different versions out there, I don't know which is which but I found out that this one...

http://o.rths.cf/basilisk/basilisk55-win32-git-20190824-978d4a7da-xpmod.7z

...works better than this one...

https://o.rths.cf/basilisk/basilisk52-g4.4.win32-git-20190907-6db06749e-xpmod.7z

...even though the latter one is the newer version (or seems to be the newer version, according to the date)

In the version from sept 2019 zooming in or out in google maps using the mouse wheel doesn't work (like in a much older version I found) but it does work in the version from August 2019.

It's two separate forks. Each of the above was the most current version of each of the two forks when you wrote that post.

Both are derived from MCP's Basilisk project, but MCP abandoned Basilisk 55 (forked from an alpha version of FF 53) early on and started over, by forking Basilisk 52 from FF 52 ESR.

Since then, MCP has kept updating Basilisk 52, and @roytam1 has also kept Basilisk 55 alive with updates from ArcticFox and other sources.

Is there a wizard out there that could shed some light on why Destroy the Web doesn't work in Basilisk? It works in Pale Moon and it obviously worked in Firefox at some point. I don't know which version broke it though, it's been a while since I've last tried it.

Edit: Last version of Firefox with which Destroy the Web still functions is 46.0.1. The only thing that sounds relevant in Firefox 47 changelog is the removal of FUEL (Firefox User Extension Library). Damn you, Mozilla...

Would it take much to bring FUEL back?

Edited by UCyborg

2 hours ago, UCyborg said:

The only thing that sounds relevant in Firefox 47 changelog is the removal of FUEL (Firefox User Extension Library). Damn you, Mozilla...

... Seems to be the cause of breakage; I fetched the destroy-the-web-1.2.2.1-signed.1-signed.xpi file to disk and extracted it with 7-zip; lo and behold, file "./resources/wdcommon.js" has several references to FUEL:

L41-L43
  var WebDestroyer = {
    /* The FUEL Application object. */
    get Application() { return this._application; },
L51-L52
    /* The FUEL Application object. */
    _application : null,
L86-L87
      this._application =
        Cc["@mozilla.org/fuel/application;1"].getService(Ci.fuelIApplication);    

Didn't bother to probe the other .js files belonging to the extension...

What begs the question is your statement:

2 hours ago, UCyborg said:

doesn't work in Basilisk? It works in Pale Moon

since they are both built on the same UXP platform, with the one standing out difference being PM28 uses the pre-Australis GUI, while, of course, Bk52 the Australis one... :dubbio:

PS: I see you posted the same query on the official forums, too...

https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=22996

Edited by VistaLover

On 8/8/2019 at 9:27 PM, Tangy said:

Please post your question here :

https://github.com/Feodor2/Mypal/issues

Cheers

Ps.By the way the latest version of mypal is 28.6.1, Find Download below

https://github.com/Feodor2/Mypal/releases

Thanks for the tip. It was like pulling teeth of an enraged bull elephant, but finally managed to open an account at github, and posted the question. I'm aware there is a newer version of Mypal, but I'm paranoid to try it. My current version of Mypal is the only firefox-based browser that actually plays all videos. Centaury was a bust after upgrading.  Serpent plays videos, but most of the time the sound is screwed up (as in talking in slow-mo). SRWare Iron plays all videos, but thanks to the CA Nazis blockade of about half the internet sites, this browser does me little good. Basically I have the choice of Mypal or using AntiX for watching videos, so I'm too leery to try to upgrade it. The version I have works. The new version is an unknown.

4 hours ago, VistaLover said:

with the one standing out difference being PM28 uses the pre-Australis GUI, while, of course, Bk52 the Australis one... :dubbio:

FUEL is still supported in Firefox 46.0.1, so I don't see what Australis has to do with it.

4 hours ago, VistaLover said:

PS: I see you posted the same query on the official forums, too...

https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=22996

Just interested in opinions from both sides. I'm not holding my breath either way.

This shows another issue; there is an unknown number of extensions in the classic add-ons archive that are marked as compatible with certain versions of Firefox with which in fact they are not.

19 hours ago, trimis said:

I'm aware there is a newer version of Mypal, but I'm paranoid to try it.
(snipped)
Basically I have the choice of Mypal or using AntiX for watching videos, so I'm too leery to try to upgrade it. The version I have works. The new version is an unknown.

... Absolutely NOTHING to be worried about when upgrading, provided you take (recommended) wise & precautionary steps:

1. Locate your existing browser (MyPal) profile,
Help -> Troubleshooting Information -> Profile folder -> Open folder
and back it up (the whole folder and its contents) in a secure location on your disk.

2. Download the new installer (currently at version 28.7.1) and run it.

https://github.com/Feodor2/Mypal/releases/tag/28.7.1

If in the past you had opted for the "portable" installation type (i.e. the profile resides inside the installation directory), then do likewise when updating...

3. Launch and test the new version - settings/configurations inside your existing profile should've remained intact!

4. If you decide to downgrade to your previous version (28.4.0 ?) of MyPal, then locate the corresponding setup from the releases tab:

https://github.com/Feodor2/Mypal/releases

and install that; just don't launch the browser after the downgrade!

5. Restore your saved profile (from step 1) so as to overwrite the profile touched by 28.7.1 and you should be back at a state prior to the "updating" test!

;)

Edited by VistaLover

19 hours ago, trimis said:

Serpent plays videos, but most of the time the sound is screwed up (as in talking in slow-mo).

Unfortunately, this is a known and long-standing issue with @roytam1's browsers on some (luckily few) hardware configurations (probably CPU+audio card) on Windows XP; the root cause is yet unknown, a fix for this issue still pending/improbable...

XP lacks OS-provided patented audio decoders to decode the AAC-LC/HE-AAC raw (elementary) audio stream inside MP4 media streams (e.g. twitter & instagram video clips), reproducible via the browser's native HTML5 media player; in NM28/St52/St55, Roy offers ffmpeg audio (and video) decoders inside a custom ffvpx third party library to mitigate this XP shortcoming; it's this audio codec that fails on said configurations, especially in the case of HLS fragmented streams...

In the case of Serpent 52.9.0 (and fairly recent builds of Serpent 55), you can try installing the Adobe Primetime CDM and change to that as an audio decoder (details are to be found elsewhere in the forums...); however, this is not a cure-all approach, just a suggestion... ;)

Best regards :)

Edited by VistaLover

19 hours ago, UCyborg said:

FUEL is still supported in Firefox 46.0.1, so I don't see what Australis has to do with it.

Neither do I :P; I just pointed out that the most prominent difference between NM28/UXP and St52/UXP is Australis infrastructure (not only limited to the GUI) in the latter ;). I am/was under the impression FUEL had been a platform-wide "under-the-hood" technology, so that would not explain why WD (web destroyer) works in NM28 but fails in St52...

It appears I am at fault and that - in the case of NM28 vs St52 - it's a feature only present at application level (?); no doubt FUEL is still present in NM27/Tycho (FxESR 38 based), most probably it was carried over when Pale (New) Moon was ported to UXP :dubbio:; I guess Moonchild is the one to confirm this... 

Perhaps WD can be ported to work in Bk/St52 without FUEL; hard to tell, really (and I'm, most certainly, not the one equipped to do this) ... :(

19 hours ago, UCyborg said:

there is an unknown number of extensions in the classic add-ons archive that are marked as compatible with certain versions of Firefox with which in fact they are not.

CAA is not to blame here, the data it archived was all inherited from AMO ;) ; many months before all the "legacy" extensions were exterminated from AMO itself (October 2018?), they were labeled, in a blanket fashion, as being compatible with a maximum Fx version of 56.*, the last non-Quantum release; this move was probably made so as to mark them for their inevitable future deletion from AMO and differentiate them from the Quantum-only compatible WE-format...

Of course, no-one within Mozilla did test each and every legacy extension for Fx 56.0 compatibility:realmad: taking the extension in question as an example, destroy-the-web-1.2.2.1-signed.1-signed.xpi has an install.rdf file with:

<em:minVersion>3.5</em:minVersion>
        <em:maxVersion>19.*</em:maxVersion>

So, the last time its developer was around to properly update it, he marked it as being Fx 19.x compatible, max... ;) ; I haven't checked, but perhaps 19.0 was the then current version of Fx when the extension was released... Of course, thanks to your troubleshooting :thumbup , we now know that the truly maximum Fx version on which the extension works is 46.*, hence 

<em:maxVersion>46.*</em:maxVersion>

should be the appropriate value... :)

Edited by VistaLover