My Browser Builds (Part 1)

ICYMI:

20 hours ago, roytam1 said:

- ported change from iceweaselXP-53: Restored eme-adobe plugin support for Windows XP systems. (8dc3c7f3e)

IOW, with his latest updates to Serpent/Moebius, you can now install the Adobe Primetime CDM and use it for HTML5 video, instead of Serpent's built-in support. You may want to try this if you run into issues with the built-in support, such as distorted audio.

If you "cheated" like I did and copied your Serpent/UXP profile over to Serpent/Moebius, and had Primetime installed on UXP, you're probably 90% of the way home. All you need to do is recreate the media.gmp-eme-adobe.visible boolean pref and set it to true. Primetime should appear in about:addons since the other prefs from your UXP install should still be there. Of course, if it doesn't work, check all the prefs mentioned in the Primetime thread.

As with UXP, you'll need to set media.ffvpx.enabled to false to force Moebius to use Primetime for HTML5; otherwise Moebius will use its built-in support by default.

19 hours ago, i430VX said:

My server's file has been updated to support the latest builds...

Updating the installer itself is not necessary this time, but I would recommend it as some changes happened:

CHANGE LOG:

- Support for New Moon SSE and noSSE browsers to be installed.

Note: I have no way to tell if the installer itself works on PCs without SSE as I have none with 2k/xp on them
         Note x2: These are the only PM27 builds currently supported are the SSE/noSSE, because I didn't want the installer to get "crowded"

-Possible Bug fixed with the win2k version of the installer

Another note: for now, the installer versions will continue to be separate as putting them together would seem to require a complete rework of the installer.

As always, the installers are available here:
Windows XP and later Version
Win2k Version

Please forgive me, this is probably a dumb question. But what is the advantage of using an installer? Versus simply decompressing the files into a directory and creating a shortcut to run the program?

I've been using roy's new moon 27 (no SSE) browser this way for a short while, but I will install it if there are some benefits to be had.

Thanks.

34 minutes ago, Old Man said:

Please forgive me, this is probably a dumb question. But what is the advantage of using an installer? Versus simply decompressing the files into a directory and creating a shortcut to run the program?

I've been using roy's new moon 27 (no SSE) browser this way for a short while, but I will install it if there are some benefits to be had.

Thanks.

It automates it. Less work.

For Moebius to get Primetime working, in addition to the prefs that have to be added in along with the gmp-eme-adobe folder there's a couple of obscure prefs that have to be changed back. Apparently even when copying over the profile from UXP to Moebius they're automatically given new values:

media.gmp.decoder.aac
media.gmp.decoder.h264

Change these from 0 to 2.

Primetime instructions:

https://msfn.org/board/topic/175591-enable-mp4-h264-aac-html5-video-in-firefox-on-windows-xp-without-flash/

Fortunately for me the built-in decoder works fine and is much preferable to using the buggy plugin-container.exe but it's an extra option to have just in case.

Strangely, on one of my PC's, those prefs were already present and defaulted to 2. Also the one I mentioned, media.gmp-eme-adobe.visible, was already present and defaulted to true. So all I had to do on that PC was update Serpent/Moebius and Primetime automagically appeared.

Edit: Scratch that. I had downloaded the wrong update! :blushing: Turns out Serpent/UXP has all three prefs set by default; thus you wouldn't ordinarily have them as user prefs. That explains why, when you migrate your user prefs to Serpent/Moebius, they aren't set and need to be set after migration.

(BTW, this is one of the advantages of an installer. Makes it easier to download the correct version into the correct directory.)

A while ago there were some reports of problems with the built-in decoder. IIRC the biggest problem was distorted audio. Sometimes a simple user-agent spoof would fix it by causing the site to use a different codec, so Primetime wasn't always needed. @roytam1 has been good about keeping the built-in media libraries up-to-date on Moebius, so maybe that audio issue has passed.

Edited by Mathwiz

There is some occasional audio choppiness that I'm getting with the built-in decoder. I chalked it up to the typically horrible Road Runner connection but if it's the codec it's still far better than plugin-container, which I have always found to be far worse and unreliable.

There's a huge playback difference between the two decoders with some other sites besides youtube. This one for example:

https://globalnews.ca/

The prime time plugin is unbelievably choppy and unusable while the built-in decoder renders smoothly. It probably comes down to each person's system configuration and the processing power of their computer.

It wouldn't surprise me if Primetime requires considerably more CPU horsepower than the built-in ffvpx decoder. If so, ffvpx would be the preferred choice unless you're having issues with it.

On 4/6/2019 at 12:40 AM, i430VX said:

My server's file has been updated to support the latest builds...

Updating the installer itself is not necessary this time, but I would recommend it as some changes happened:

CHANGE LOG:

- Support for New Moon SSE and noSSE browsers to be installed.

Note: I have no way to tell if the installer itself works on PCs without SSE as I have none with 2k/xp on them
         Note x2: These are the only PM27 builds currently supported are the SSE/noSSE, because I didn't want the installer to get "crowded"

-Possible Bug fixed with the win2k version of the installer

Another note: for now, the installer versions will continue to be separate as putting them together would seem to require a complete rework of the installer.

As always, the installers are available here:
Windows XP and later Version
Win2k Version

Found a problem (don't know if I'd call it a bug, but it's a problem for me): the installer uses wget, and wget doesn't use system proxy settings. As a result, downloads fail on my work PC and I just get an empty folder. :( (Of course I can download the "old-fashioned" way just fine, since my browsers do use system proxy settings.)

Luckily there's a simple workaround, by setting some environment variables. The following batch file does the trick for me:

set http_proxy=http://127.0.0.1:8079
set https_proxy=http://127.0.0.1:8079
"Roytam Browser Installer.exe"

Of course, others will need to change the http/s_proxy settings according to their own needs. (Actually I think the installer just uses http, so the set https_proxy line probably isn't needed; but just in case....)

HTH

Edited by Mathwiz

On 4/7/2019 at 8:57 PM, DanR20 said:

but if it's the codec it's still far better than plugin-container, which I have always found to be far worse and unreliable

For me it's not true. Adobe Primetime CDM works absolutely brilliant with Twitch in Firefox 47 Portable (just for example). Also my Firefox 52 ESR Portable is configured to use it, and performs equally well there.

On 4/8/2019 at 5:20 AM, Mathwiz said:

It wouldn't surprise me if Primetime requires considerably more CPU horsepower than the built-in ffvpx decoder. If so, ffvpx would be the preferred choice unless you're having issues with it.

But if compare to built in Firefox decoder (versions 42-52, again) the "native" realization (I beleive is uses system codecs) does not manage to playback smoothly even on my 4-core Intel Core i5 2500K with lots of RAM (at least when the video is something heavier than 720p 60 fps - say 900p 60 fps videos already freeze and loose sync with audio track on Twitch). Also CPU load with Adobe Primetime is at least 1.5x lower by my observations.

I know that Serpent/Moebius uses very different media codecs, just as additional information for anyone.

Edited by Alex654

@Alex, glad it works for you, for me not so much.

The problem seems to be more about the extra process plugin-container.exe than the primetime codec itself, sometimes crashing when pausing the video or moving to another site. I also believe it's responsible for the choppiness since it did the same thing with flash after they removed the ability to disable OOPP. It's a little better in 52esr compared to earlier FF versions but I'll take what comes with basilisk if I've got a choice.

On 4/7/2019 at 6:41 PM, DanR20 said:

For Moebius to get Primetime working, in addition to the prefs that have to be added in along with the gmp-eme-adobe folder there's a couple of obscure prefs that have to be changed back. Apparently even when copying over the profile from UXP to Moebius they're automatically given new values:

media.gmp.decoder.aac
media.gmp.decoder.h264

Change these from 0 to 2.

Primetime instructions:

https://msfn.org/board/topic/175591-enable-mp4-h264-aac-html5-video-in-firefox-on-windows-xp-without-flash/

Fortunately for me the built-in decoder works fine and is much preferable to using the buggy plugin-container.exe but it's an extra option to have just in case.

I have PMXP-SSE. if it crashes nothing is lost it will find his way back to last position.

videos now running quite good.

Only can download them from YT with CYS. elsewhere onlinevideoconverter needed.  difference: resolution with CYS is lower.
https://www.onlinevideoconverter.com/youtube-converter

In forums with login(free) only loging prevents from using the onlinevideoconverter/youtube-converter
Remember: SSE here!
-------------------------------------------

https://www.downfk.com/ not tested
UPDATE: Facebookvideoconverter Only!

------------------------------------------------

Sooner or later I will post a workaround for those who dont want/ can dig-around all the messages.

Yes have read about the Primetime CDM. Maybe someone could write a turorial to understand what and which and why. Its going to be much complicated here, isnt it?
Its not easy making old pc running again. everything is so important. lately could install updates. thanks to NFW4 reinstallation. There  is much Intuition needed to handle all the problem. Good i have over 25 years of computer-experience from 286 to Dualcore(only) win7-64!
Its fantastic how PMXP is learning. dont have to make a lot of installations when new update must run. So do i need the installer? i have been saved updates in new folder.
How do i have to handle SSE-updates? I am using seperate folder to avoid mess if new version makes troubles. how to run the installer? is the bug solved?
Portable FF :
I have FF
45.9.14 i dont see ESR(is this Firefox own designation) seems from PM-community.
Is this the portable version if i dont see in Software, right?

Edited by 3dreal

Something strange to report. As from this morning when I visit the forum NM is using 100% cpu. Mypal performs a bit better using 70 to 60 %, while ff52 and basilisk use basically 0% when idle for example reading the contents of a thread. This is why I used ff to convey this message ( CPU usage was 0% while typing} . I did clear cookies and history however the problem persists. Any ideas on that ? @roytam1

Cheers

Edited by Tangy
Roy

@kitaro1 Thank you so much. I reckon it kind of work. My cpu from 100% went down to something between 40% and 50% when visiting this forum..

My filters ublock origin I inserted the following :

msfn.org/.googlesyndication.com

I trust it is the right syntax

Edit 1 : However when I sign in it shoots up to 100%. Just now turned it off for this site as I had always done before and in a matter of 15 seconds cpu went down to 2.9 %. I guess either the forum or my browser is a bit moody as it seems.

Edit2  Back to 100% I reckon there might be something wrong with the forum.

imagem.thumb.JPG.9e04a2b5ee9d8c0951a4e2c78f954503.JPG

Edited by Tangy
Add info

Just to let you know everything is ok now. No more high cpu usage whether signed in or not.

@kitaro1 I used your suggestion on this other streaming site I had been having trouble with and worked like a charm. 

Edit 1 : Also another thing that may have contributed to that may have been some conflicting settings on ublock and adguard. After sorting that out cpu usage is minimum all over the place really. :)

Thank you.

Edited by Tangy
Edit