My Browser Builds (Part 1)

@roytam1 Patches applied somewhat successfully, there were a few errors but tried building anyway. I ran into an error during the build process that purplexes me, as the patch that contains the modification where the error is present seemed to have applied OK. Here is the patch log, with the build error attached at the end: https://dpaste.de/Kajx

51 minutes ago, rn10950 said:

@roytam1 Patches applied somewhat successfully, there were a few errors but tried building anyway. I ran into an error during the build process that purplexes me, as the patch that contains the modification where the error is present seemed to have applied OK. Here is the patch log, with the build error attached at the end: https://dpaste.de/Kajx

please try cleanup (by running "git clean -fd") again and redownload diff archive and reapply again.

@roytam, I know you're already doing a lot with basilisk but is anyone in this project doing anything with Thunderbird 52? I was just curious if it would be possible to apply whatever security patches that 52 basilisk might be getting to that Thunderbird version?

10 hours ago, DanR20 said:

@roytam, I know you're already doing a lot with basilisk but is anyone in this project doing anything with Thunderbird 52? I was just curious if it would be possible to apply whatever security patches that 52 basilisk might be getting to that Thunderbird version?

they're trying to do that. https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=20357

and Thunderbird shares same XUL and Javascript engine with Firefox, but that's only half of Thunderbird's codebase. Thunderbird's mailnews source needs to be overhauled as well.

are the LINKS in "post #1" ever going to be CORRECTED so that you can actually CLICK the LINK (ie, how LINKS are SUPPOSED to work) ???

for example - the "Binaries moved to here" quote-unquote 'link' SAYS "o.rths.cf/palemoon/?sort=date&order=desc" but it INCORRECTLY links to "o.rthost.cf/palemoon/?sort=date&order=desc" ...

so when you CLICK on the "link", you are taken to the DEAD "o.rthost.cf" domain instead of the LIVING "o.rths.cf" domain ...

it's a PITA that the 'link' isn't really a "link" ...

thanks in advance for resolving this nuisance ...

On 11/11/2018 at 4:52 AM, roytam1 said:

they're trying to do that. https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=20357

and Thunderbird shares same XUL and Javascript engine with Firefox, but that's only half of Thunderbird's codebase. Thunderbird's mailnews source needs to be overhauled as well.

But you know that Interlink is only going to be Windows 7 and higher right?  I'm OK with that, but I know your efforts with Basilisk and New Moon were XP-specific.

I hate when things break on update day. The natural inclination is to blame the update, but half the time it turns out to just be a coincidence.

In this case, todoist.com no longer works with Abine's "Blur" tracking blocker add-on. (I can still block Google Analytics with Privacy Badger, though, so all is not lost.) They just happened to change it this AM, so it seemed like the 2018.11.10 build broke it. But when I reverted, it still didn't work, forcing me to dig deeper....:realmad:

2 hours ago, Jody Thornton said:

But you know that Interlink is only going to be Windows 7 and higher right?  I'm OK with that, but I know your efforts with Basilisk and New Moon were XP-specific.

Yes, the PM team will target Win 7; but @roytam1 has some experience in modifying their code for XP/Vista (don't forget Vista!), so at least there's hope.

6 hours ago, Jody Thornton said:

I'm waiting if their source are ready for compile by other people.

Latest New Moon 27 (Tycho platform) on Windows Vista SP2 32-bit; browser specifics:

New Moon 27.9.1a1 (32-bit) (2018-11-02)
buildID=20181102135253
Package filename: palemoon-27.9.1a1.win32-git-20181103-e1975531d-xpmod.7z

As @CoRoNe has previously posted (here and here), I seemingly was unaffected by the recent GitHub changes: No top banner about an unsupported browser, browsing repositories and changing branches inside a repository without login in, all worked fine!

Even when logged in, I could do everything I wanted, or so it appeared... :rolleyes: Today I discovered one function that doesn't work, and this is Comment Previewing (either when writing a new comment or while editing an existing one :realmad:); the preview tab just displays "Error rendering preview", Error Console displays a ReferenceError on a big github javascript file:

jQjUcCf.jpg

I then tried what was suggested by Roy here, i.e. creating a SSUAO for GitHub, restarted NM27 and tested anew, but this hasn't fixed the issue :no: ; as is best recommended in the case of bugs, I repeated tests in, first, Safe Mode and, second, by creating a new pristine NM27 profile (all to no avail...).

Can anyone here with a Github account reproduce?

@roytam1: Is there a possible fix for this in Tycho, or should I give up Github altogether in NM27? FTR, everything GitHub related (i.e. including Comment Previewing) works as expected in latest NM28 out-of-the-box (without a SSUAO), but I still prefer to run NM27 when I have a choice, it being more responsive and gentler on resources in this old hardware of mine...

Again, many thanks for your invaluable efforts!

2 hours ago, VistaLover said:

Latest New Moon 27 (Tycho platform) on Windows Vista SP2 32-bit; browser specifics:

New Moon 27.9.1a1 (32-bit) (2018-11-02)
buildID=20181102135253
Package filename: palemoon-27.9.1a1.win32-git-20181103-e1975531d-xpmod.7z

As @CoRoNe has previously posted (here and here), I seemingly was unaffected by the recent GitHub changes: No top banner about an unsupported browser, browsing repositories and changing branches inside a repository without login in, all worked fine!

Even when logged in, I could do everything I wanted, or so it appeared... :rolleyes: Today I discovered one function that doesn't work, and this is Comment Previewing (either when writing a new comment or while editing an existing one :realmad:); the preview tab just displays "Error rendering preview", Error Console displays a ReferenceError on a big github javascript file:

jQjUcCf.jpg

I then tried what was suggested by Roy here, i.e. creating a SSUAO for GitHub, restarted NM27 and tested anew, but this hasn't fixed the issue :no: ; as is best recommended in the case of bugs, I repeated tests in, first, Safe Mode and, second, by creating a new pristine NM27 profile (all to no avail...).

Can anyone here with a Github account reproduce?

@roytam1: Is there a possible fix for this in Tycho, or should I give up Github altogether in NM27? FTR, everything GitHub related (i.e. including Comment Previewing) works as expected in latest NM28 out-of-the-box (without a SSUAO), but I still prefer to run NM27 when I have a choice, it being more responsive and gentler on resources in this old hardware of mine...

Again, many thanks for your invaluable efforts!

Github is using Request object now: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/Request

some basic things can be backported to PM27, but don't know if it is enough for Github.

you may try enabling "dom.fetch.enabled" in about:config to see if it will work again?

EDIT: after spoofing user agent and enabling fetch API, github is working.

Edited by roytam1

12 hours ago, roytam1 said:

EDIT: after spoofing user agent and enabling fetch API, github is working.

Hello; I am sorry to report that your suggested fixes DID NOT cure my reported issue about GitHub Comment Previewing not working in (latest) NM27

I first created the string pref

general.useragent.override.github.com;Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0 (Pale Moon)

and then toggled dom.fetch.enabled so that now is:

dom.fetch.enabled;true

New Moon was restarted, then I accessed, e.g.,

https://github.com/rg3/youtube-dl/issues/17842#issuecomment-438809543

I cleared all Github cookies, cleared the browser cache, restarted and successfully logged-in anew to my Github account; I tried to edit my last comment in that thread and, again, Comment Previewing does not work, though this time Browser Console reports a different error:

43BEsP3.jpg

In case it helps, here is also the Request Headers window for the POST request for the preview:

A1P7vX9.jpg

Any more ideas, please...? :rolleyes: Thanks for your time spent already on this...