My Browser Builds (Part 1)

7 hours ago, Alex654 said:

Guys, I have a problem with this site (not sure if this is a bug of the site or of the browser). When I click a page button, the loading indicator appears, old content disappears, and... everything hangs up (remains in that state). I have this behavior on New Moon 27.7.0a2 and Chrome 45, but it is somehow works correctly in FF 42. What's going on?) Can you confirm this (if some of you still uses New Moon 27.7.x)?

UPD: Updated New Moon to version 27.9.1a1, the problem is still in place...

where is the problematic page? do you have extensions installed? did you tried opening that page in safe mode?

> old content disappears, and...
Check each browser's Error Console. I think it's a site scripting bug. I recommend scripting be disabled to read, enabled to post. You can also try switching themes.

On 8/11/2018 at 8:00 AM, DontJoinTheMilitary said:

There's still an issue in Basilisk with distorted audio in Twitter videos.

And the issue is now present in New Moon as well (it wasn't present back when were using the LAV codecs for playing media in New Moon but it is now).
The issue is present on three completely different computers of mine so it's not simply an isolated computer problem.
This isn't a complaint or a request for help (I don't even use Twitter). I'm just reporting a bug.
Here's a video in which the audio is distorted:  https://twitter.com/josefkenny/status/974587426676117505

OS: Windows XP Pro SP3 (actual installs, not VM installs)

What I found is if the user agent string is set to IE11 (I do that to get the old youtube layout) then twitter audio will be distorted. Changing the user agent to Waterfox 56.0 fixes it.

Strange how that works but Firefox 52.9 doesn't  have that problem.

11 hours ago, jumper said:

> old content disappears, and...
Check each browser's Error Console. I think it's a site scripting bug. I recommend scripting be disabled to read, enabled to post. You can also try switching themes.

Of course I did this. It seems the console is clear. Do you have the same issue, or did you just disable JavaScript for this forum?

What is strange is that New Moon based on Gecko and Google Chrome both have this bug, but old Firefox does not have it  :unsure: :rolleyes:

UPD: Fresh build of K-Meleon browser also has this issue.

Edited by Alex654

12 hours ago, roytam1 said:

where is the problematic page? do you have extensions installed? did you tried opening that page in safe mode?

The problematic page is any forum page. Yes, I have 5-6 extensions in Chrome, but in New Moon I have only OPresto Theme.

I checked the Error Console again. It is clear in Firefox 42 and 47, but both in Chrome 45 and in New Moon 27.x I get this:

2018-08-13_185243.png

31 minutes ago, Alex654 said:

The problematic page is any forum page. Yes, I have 5-6 extensions in Chrome, but in New Moon I have only OPresto Theme.

I checked the Error Console again. It is clear in Firefox 42 and 47, but both in Chrome 45 and in New Moon 27.x I get this:

2018-08-13_185243.png

thats script error(badly written script) and this is not browser's problem.

Distorted audio on twitter:

DanR20 said:

What I found is if the user agent string is set to IE11 (I do that to get the old youtube layout) then twitter audio will be distorted. Changing the user agent to Waterfox 56.0 fixes it.
Strange how that works but Firefox 52.9 doesn't have that problem.

Probably just the XP again in the useragent? (NT 5.x)
There have been reports for youtube and facebook already, that they send buggy stuff to XP-users.

Google Maps, OSM, others:
A search for this brings some interesting hints, but way over my head:
browser bug maps interrupted tiles

https://productforums.google.com/d/topic/chrome/y3YsafZoRWs
https://github.com/Leaflet/Leaflet/issues/3198
https://github.com/Leaflet/Leaflet/issues/2612

Block cookies? Delete google's "gsScrollPos" cookies? L_DISABLE_3D = true? Tampermonkey?

Perhaps it helps others for google maps, but there seem to be several symptoms and reasons.

My own prob with an old browser must still be either settings or server related, because am using it since years and it worked fine in the past. Mainly on "m.osmtools.de", which still looks exactly the same as 2 years ago too, just now breaking after just zooming some seconds. Only the osm-tile-servers had some configuration updates, something with 'api'...
At any rate the behaviour described in the Leaflet bug above matches exactly my impression too: the loading must not be interrupted too much when zooming/moving too fast, or Bang. And sure, my connection is rather slow.
Not wanting to go too far offtopic, but if it really depends on settings too, those are probably the same across other Mozilla browsers too. (And I must not even interrupt loading a normal MSFN page, or the domain is "interrupted" until end of session too)

Edited by siria

3 hours ago, siria said:

Probably just the XP again in the useragent? (NT 5.x)
There have been reports for youtube and facebook already, that they send buggy stuff to XP-users.

Normally I use Win 7 in the user string (6.1) for everything.

IE11 isn't a supported browser anymore for a lot of sites, couldn't even post on this one, had to switch to waterfox. I just want it mainly for youtube and with user agent switcher it's easy to go back and forth but sometimes I forget and leave it on IE11 until some site goes haywire.

Rather than having to remember to switch back and forth, couldn't you just set up an IE11 UA specifically for YouTube and use a Waterfox UA as the default?

Even without an add-on like User Agent Switcher, you can create a string pref "general.useragent.override" which can contain whatever user agent string you want; e.g., "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:52.9) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.9" will make it look like you're running Firefox 52.9 on Windows 7. Substitute the default UA string of your choice.

Then, if pref "general.useragent.site_specific_overrides" is "true" (the default), you can create a string pref "general.useragent.override.www.youtube.com" with the string "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/7.0; rv:11.0) like Gecko" to make YouTube think you're running IE11.

@Mathwiz, yeah there are addons that will do the same thing, I've got Custom UserAgent String installed in firefox 60 that lets you custom sites to a specific user string and in fact I've done that with youtube and a few others. Or I might try general.useragent.override.www.youtube.com, that's sounds like a good idea.

Eventually I'll get around to it in basilisk but I have a feeling google will probably remove their old layout soon anyway, they seem determined to change things around every year with something new and worse.

Edited by DanR20

14 minutes ago, Sampei.Nihira said:

However, it does NOT run on Vista, despite Moonchild previous;y saying that it should ....lol

https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19524&p=144409&hilit=vista#p144333

Ouch!