My Browser Builds (Part 1)

On 10/31/2017 at 10:17 AM, GrandAdmiralThrawn said:

You may attempt to force layer acceleration with New Moon. You need to set the property "layers.acceleration.force-enabled" to "true" on the about:config page. For me, I also had to set either "layers.prefer-d3d9" or "layers.prefer-opengl" to "true" for it to work for some reason. Maybe it tries D3D10 or higher and just fails when it's not detected, no automatic fallback? Anyway, OpenGL gave me display glitches, so I went with D3D9.

With that, videos also play fine in YouTubes' fullscreen mode, which is otherwise unusable. GPU is a GTX Titan Black in my case, with the last XP x64 driver, 368.81. Not sure how stable it really is though, I've only played with this for a while, then switched it off again, as I don't really need it. Just wanted to see how I can get fullscreen video to render smoothly, because somebody asked me to find a way to do this with New Moon.

Thank you.  Forcing "layers.prefer" to either OpenGL or D3D9 vastly improves things...  It's plenty smooth.  I am using a GeForce 650 with the 347.88 drivers (because the later ones have buggy screen detection).

vsync remains a problem, but that was always the case on XP because GDI+ has no vsync.

Regarding OpenGL, I was wondering if the op can have a look at this:

pm1.thumb.png.3de7e5b1a72a1c7cca1ee298abc9c490.png

This is the problem when OpenGL is selected.  The entire application seems to be shifted "up" a bit (for lack of a better explanation).  A mouse click also reflects this (where you get the actual click on top of where you click).

HWACCEL is also now benchmarking on par or even better than Firefox ESR.

Cheers.

12 hours ago, dv_2 said:

Thank you.  Forcing "layers.prefer" to either OpenGL or D3D9 vastly improves things...  It's plenty smooth.  I am using a GeForce 650 with the 347.88 drivers (because the later ones have buggy screen detection).

vsync remains a problem, but that was always the case on XP because GDI+ has no vsync.

Regarding OpenGL, I was wondering if the op can have a look at this:

pm1.thumb.png.3de7e5b1a72a1c7cca1ee298abc9c490.png

This is the problem when OpenGL is selected.  The entire application seems to be shifted "up" a bit (for lack of a better explanation).  A mouse click also reflects this (where you get the actual click on top of where you click).

HWACCEL is also now benchmarking on par or even better than Firefox ESR.

Cheers.

I have no idea about OpenGL acceleration glitch, you may try Feodor2 or even official build (in newer windows of course) to see if OpenGL acceleration is still having glitch. If so, please file a bug to Feodor2 or official depending which build you tested. Thank you.

15 hours ago, dencorso said:

:D

Well... one is supposed not to be able to actually see a new moon, right? 

Actually thats the point I'm thinking about changing the name, but I have no idea about a new name, not to mention the icons and "About" dialog background. :P

2 hours ago, newl71 said:

roytam1
name - PalemoonXP (yes it simple but logic)

icon - blue or red

It is better not having "Palemoon" in the name to fulfilling Pale Moon's forked version distribution rules.

@dv_2, I have the exact same issue with OpenGL, but I haven't tried it with official Palemoon on Windows 7 or anything like that yet.

As for the name, I believe New Moon to be a pretty nice name for a browser targeting a group officially dead operating systems. Kinda fitting. But that's just my own opinion.