Is Vista a lost cause on modern hardware?

dork

On 11/30/2017 at 4:08 AM, Destro said:

Theres people that still run 98 and DOS.  Same goes for people that run XP.  But I wouldn't say its hardware that holds vista back in longevity it's the point that there's nothing particularly special about vista. 

I'll make the argument the reason the 98/DOS will never die is because of legacy hardware and software that some people may still find useful will only run on that platform. 

The argument for XP is similar.

The argument for Vista is the only reason to run vista was for x64 since XP x64 isn't that mature.  And if that's the reasoning 7x64 and so on can do anything vista x64 can do and better.  So theres no real specialized or important reason to use vista.  Vista is like windows ME is to 98se.    98se>ME  7x64>vista  XP>2000 imo  People hatted the UAC of XP as their reasoning to like 2000 better.  But outside of UAC i cannot think of a sane reasoning 2000 is better besides simplicty.  But we can make the argument you could NLITE and rip XP down to the point that its even smaller than 2k and more functional.  So whatever.

Have you ever used vista? Vista SP2 runs faster than Windows 7 SP1 and even feels smoother but then again thats my opinion.

It's true: many (but not all) hardware configurations run Vista SP2 better than 7 SP1. A lot of people are not willing to believe this, however, and software/hardware developers seem to be dropping support at the same time as XP... meaning Vista will have a very short life compared to 7. 7 also has backported the telemetry and forced Windows Updates settings, and I'd rather not have to decipher what updates to not install.

Ya I have ran Vista, and honestly, Vista may feel smother than 7.  But just my opinion I have also ran 2003 server X64 and it blew the hinges off Vista or 7.  But like I was saying 2003/XP x64 isn't as mature which is why i don't run it,  I deleted Telemetry from my 7 box thats a non issue.  I have never felt forced with windows update on any version of windows I ever ran.  Thats what disabling services and tweaking update settings are for.

• 1 month later...
45 minutes ago, SuperSaiyanPan said:

All this talk of Vista-7 Transformation Guide and I can't find it. Links someone?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjBB8_BlKNI&list=PLvUrTMTIQOzWd7-yGsmzIhTxb_YgXww01

WinClient5270 has stated that he, along with other individuals, have significantly improved the project. So it will be much more Vista-looking. 

Edited by Alex21788
More infomation

• 1 year later...

While the system lags, managed to install Vista SP2 x86 / 32-bit on my Z370 / 8700K / 16Gb.

Didn't experience the Service Initialization issue.

Applied official updates, no issues. Then installed unofficial updates (Server 2008), still working, but same lags.

Surprised that even my Sound Blaster Z works just fine. :D

PS: Screenshot from a PT-BR localized ISO. Just did it for fun, was the first language I've found here.
PS2: x64 is no-no, sadly. 

Vista6003CFL.jpg

Edited by daniel_k

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/25/2019 at 11:41 AM, daniel_k said:

While the system lags, managed to install Vista SP2 x86 / 32-bit on my Z370 / 8700K / 16Gb.

Applied official updates, no issues. Then installed unofficial updates (Server 2008), still working, but same lags.

PS: Screenshot from a PT-BR localized ISO. Just did it for fun, was the first language I've found here.

Vista6003CFL.jpg

That's really crazy! How'd you do that? And how'd you get the Intel USB drivers working, was it the modded drivers or you took the Windows 7 drivers and modified the INFs so that it'll install on Vista? I'm thinking on installing Vista on my Skylake laptop or Kaby Lake desktop in the near future soon... Tell me all about how you got everything to work on maybe a PM or here, up to you.

Speaking about x64 is a no-no, that means that I could only install the x86 version? I remember last time when I booted the x64 version, on Setup it gave me a blue screen.

On 10/25/2019 at 11:11 PM, daniel_k said:

Vista6003CFL.jpg

how did you get the intel drivers working? let us know please

On 11/23/2019 at 8:05 PM, Arutz Tele said:

That's really crazy! How'd you do that? And how'd you get the Intel USB drivers working, was it the modded drivers or you took the Windows 7 drivers and modified the INFs so that it'll install on Vista?

34 minutes ago, burd said:

how did you get the intel drivers working? let us know please

I'm pretty much sure he just used his own modified universal usb3 drivers based on AMDXHCI, that was destined for XP (with acpi.sys mod).

On 11/26/2019 at 10:43 AM, IntMD said:

I'm pretty much sure he just used his own modified universal usb3 drivers based on AMDXHCI, that was destined for XP (with acpi.sys mod).

Amazing. Do you know the link for them?

On 11/26/2019 at 11:13 PM, IntMD said:

if it was that easy , people wouldve already done it by now i think , we've been trying since years to get them working

• 2 months later...