Is Vista a lost cause on modern hardware?

dork

Sometime in the future I'd like to build a new PC and install Vista on it. My current PC cannot run Vista at all (Haswell i5), so that's out of the question.

However now that Vista is completely deprecated, most modern software and games require at least Windows 7, and Intel and AMD have stopped producing chipset drivers for Vista, is it even worth it?

Vista is definitely my favorite Windows OS. Windows 7 is whatever but Windows 8.1 and 10 are complete trash and I never want to be bothered with them. Linux and other Unix-likes are also really unattractive.

Are there any modern chipsets that support Vista 64 bit with USB 3.x drivers?

Edited by dork

I'm looking at getting my Ryzen system working with Vista. Getting the USB 3.x drivers in is probably gonna be the biggest hurdle. It runs 7 like a charm, but for a friend of mine who likes Vista, I'm looking to test Vista on it too.

AMD uses ASMedia for a lot of their chipset, and ASMedia is known to support Vista to an extent, so we could get lucky.

Edited by AnX

1 hour ago, AnX said:

I'm looking at getting my Ryzen system working with Vista. Getting the USB 3.x drivers in is probably gonna be the biggest hurdle. It runs 7 like a charm, but for a friend of mine who likes Vista, I'm looking to test Vista on it too.

AMD uses ASMedia for a lot of their chipset, and ASMedia is known to support Vista to an extent, so we could get lucky.

I happen to be that friend that likes Vista, JFYI, lol.

On the Intel side of things, Ivy Bridge is the last platform from Intel to properly support Windows Vista. Haswell and later have a weird bug with Vista that causes it to not boot up half the time, rendering it unusable on the platform(s) if you ask me. While Ryzen might work, I wouldn't get my hopes up. If you're really keen on using Windows Vista today, I say you should go for a high end processor from the Ivy Bridge lineup. I personally have the Core i7 3770, and it runs like a charm with Windows Vista Ultimate. Even if the platform is a few years old, it still provides excellent and efficient performance that can suit almost anyone (I run virtual machines and play a few Dolphin games, and I have no issue doing these tasks - even simultaneously).

And if you haven't already, make sure to check out my Last versions of software for Windows Vista/2008 list. There, you'll find a large library of information regarding the current state of third party support for Windows Vista. It's really not as bad as it may seem. The best all around web browser for Vista is probably Pale Moon (based on Firefox, but not the same thing), as it's the only known one that still gets major version updates on Vista, with no end of support in sight.

Good luck, and welcome to MSFN!

8 hours ago, AnX said:

Please share your results, could be interesting for my next build, i kept my i5 2400-750ti-16 gb ddr3 PC for two or three years , i probably use Ryzen CPU for the succesor build.

I will be happy if the system dont crash , just for nostalgic feels (probably the support at that time be zero) , otherwise , keep my actual build for the memories

7 hours ago, 2008WindowsVista said:

On the Intel side of things, Ivy Bridge is the last platform from Intel to properly support Windows Vista. Haswell and later have a weird bug with Vista that causes it to not boot up half the time, rendering it unusable on the platform(s) if you ask me.

I tried using Vista on my Haswell machine, and it was exactly that. Eventually when I put the computer on the lock screen, I was stuck on a black screen with just a cursor, so I had to hard reset my PC. Then I started getting IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL blue screens after that. So now I'm back on Windows 7. You're guide to make 7 look like Vista is very thorough and nice, I just wish the taskbar was more proper. Like, when you hover over an item, the color is not blue all the time but rather the dominant color of the applications icon.

To my knowledge, Sandy Bridge was the last Intel processor line to fully support Vista. Ivy Bridge doesn't have USB 3.x drivers right? If AnX can prove Vista is fully supported on Ryzen, I might pursue that for my new build.

Edited by dork

58 minutes ago, yousuckstoo said:

Please share your results, could be interesting for my next build, i kept my i5 2400-750ti-16 gb ddr3 PC for two or three years , i probably use Ryzen CPU for the succesor build.

I will be happy if the system dont crash , just for nostalgic feels (probably the support at that time be zero) , otherwise , keep my actual build for the memories

btw i did notice your steam post showing that cod bo3 works on vista,why dont you post that on last versions topic?

4 hours ago, dork said:

For anyone who games on Vista I would like to know if Quake Champions (steam version) and Tekken 7 work on it.

tried quake champions(non steam),it seems vista has missing files and gives errors and wont launch at all

Edited by burd

1 hour ago, burd said:

tried quake champions(non steam),it seems vista has missing files and gives errors and wont launch at all

Did that happen when you tried running the bethesda launcher or the game itself?

Edited by dork

11 hours ago, dork said:

Did that happen when you tried running the bethesda launcher or the game itself?

im not exactly sure,but i think it was quake champions

if youre eager to know i could retest? say the word

On 24/9/2017 at 10:34 PM, burd said:

btw i did notice your steam post showing that cod bo3 works on vista,why dont you post that on last versions topic?

i only test the beta (the game runs terrible with massive stutters) , not the final game,i say that because Activision send new updates and cut the compatibility at some point,that happened with Infinity Warfare, before April patch the game runs fine, after that , the game crashes at startup, with BEX error, a user found a way to fix it, but you could get VAC, ban because he mod the Hex of the exe.

I try to install WW2 beta and sahre the results

7 hours ago, burd said:

im not exactly sure,but i think it was quake champions

if youre eager to know i could retest? say the word

If you can, please do.

Modern gaming is the only thing that might make using Vista miserable, since there is nothing you can do about game compatibility.

1 hour ago, yousuckstoo said:

i only test the beta (the game runs terrible with massive stutters) , not the final game,i say that because Activision send new updates and cut the compatibility at some point,that happened with Infinity Warfare, before April patch the game runs fine, after that , the game crashes at startup, with BEX error, a user found a way to fix it, but you could get VAC, ban because he mod the Hex of the exe.

I try to install WW2 beta and sahre the results

can i have a look at that hack(not using) just for you know Looking :D

23 minutes ago, dork said:

If you can, please do.

Modern gaming is the only thing that might make using Vista miserable, since there is nothing you can do about game compatibility.

having a look at it for you asap, will post in a bit, might post a screenshot for you aswell :)

Ok, i downloaded the game,no luck ,same Kernell32,dll error, the same since AW April Patch, so no chances to get working on Vista

Its strange ,the Crew (before graphics update) had the same error,but you can play it normally if you close the message.

I cant find the thread of the modd, but i remeber he copy some numers of the HEX of the non patch version to the new one , and the game runs fine ,warning about the consequences ,  i try it later