Is Vista a lost cause on modern hardware?

dork

14 minutes ago, yousuckstoo said:

Ok, i downloaded the game,no luck ,same Kernell32,dll error, the same since AW April Patch, so no chances to get working on Vista

Its strange ,the Crew (before graphics update) had the same error,but you can play it normally if you close the message.

I cant find the thread of the modd, but i remeber he copy some numers of the HEX of the non patch version to the new one , and the game runs fine ,warning about the consequences ,  i try it later

I also wanted to ask, do you have the latest Official vista drivers? does vulkan work on it?

18 hours ago, burd said:

@dork Hey i tried launching bethesda launcher and i get kernel32 errors on both the bethesda launcher and quake champions :(

That's a bummer. I'll have to try the Steam version whenever I get a system running Vista.

Edited by dork

On 9/24/2017 at 11:08 PM, dork said:

I tried using Vista on my Haswell machine, and it was exactly that. Eventually when I put the computer on the lock screen, I was stuck on a black screen with just a cursor, so I had to hard reset my PC. Then I started getting IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL blue screens after that. So now I'm back on Windows 7. You're guide to make 7 look like Vista is very thorough and nice, I just wish the taskbar was more proper. Like, when you hover over an item, the color is not blue all the time but rather the dominant color of the applications icon.

To my knowledge, Sandy Bridge was the last Intel processor line to fully support Vista. Ivy Bridge doesn't have USB 3.x drivers right? If AnX can prove Vista is fully supported on Ryzen, I might pursue that for my new build.

That guide is actually somewhat out of date, and I'm probably going to make a new one soon (as well as one for Windows 8.1, which is long overdue). The issue you mentioned about the taskbar can't be fixed though, unfortunately, since the color-coded taskbar button thingy is hard coded into Windows 7, from what I can tell. We (as in AnX, 11RyanC, and myself - we've all been making some updates to the Vista-7 project lately) might be able to find a way to turn that off.

What you say about Ivy Bridge is partly true, meaning that there is a workaround to that problem. If you can get your hands on one of the last Sandy Bridge-era motherboards (such as the Asus P8Z68-V LX) which are also verified to support Ivy Bridge CPUs, then you can simply use the Sandy-era motherboard and still get the superior performance of an Ivy Bridge CPU. The Asus P8Z68-V LX has Asmedia USB 3.0, and Asmedia is known for their excellent support for Windows XP/Vista, so if you can go with Ivy Bridge, I'd recommend that motherboard. However, you might need to purchase (or borrow from a friend) a Sandy Bridge CPU in order to boot up the machine and update the board's BIOS to get it to support an Ivy Bridge CPU, since the board's original BIOS version doesn't support the use of Ivy CPUs and won't allow you to boot it with one without installing the BIOS update. This is why I purchased the ASUS P8B75-M board (an Ivy-era board) to avoid having to buy a Sandy Bridge CPU. Unfortunately it does not support USB 3.0 under Vista since it doesn't have a third party chipset (such as Asmedia), only Intel USB 3.0 which obviously doesn't support Vista. I may end up swapping boards later for this reason.

Come to think of it, I actually haven't really missed USB 3.x myself. Windows Vista will still recognize the USB 3.x ports and use its generic USB drivers for them, but they just might not run as optimally as they would if Intel provided its own USB 3.0 drivers.

Edited by 2008WindowsVista

33 minutes ago, Tripredacus said:

Windows 7 is becoming a lost cause on modern hardware, even Windows 7 Embedded. Many Win7e client are having to move into Windows 10 (IoT) OS because the available compatible CPUs on the market are starting to dry up.

Sadly its the truth

11 hours ago, Tripredacus said:

Windows 7 is becoming a lost cause on modern hardware, even Windows 7 Embedded. Many Win7e client are having to move into Windows 10 (IoT) OS because the available compatible CPUs on the market are starting to dry up.

Tripredacus are you sure about that or where are you getting this information?  SkyLake and Kaby Lake CPUs should work fine.  I have Vista 64-Bit and Windows 7 64-Bit working on SkyLake and Kaby Lake on Z170.

By the way since I'm a Transformers G1 fan and I can't quite pinpoint it but your Avatar seems to remind me of Ravage the micro cassette tape that went into SoundWave.  It was one of favorites since it had some metal parts to it instead of all plastic.  But I can't see any relation of Tripedacus to your Avatar.

On 10/3/2017 at 5:05 PM, 2008WindowsVista said:

That guide is actually somewhat out of date, and I'm probably going to make a new one soon (as well as one for Windows 8.1, which is long overdue). The issue you mentioned about the taskbar can't be fixed though, unfortunately, since the color-coded taskbar button thingy is hard coded into Windows 7, from what I can tell. We (as in AnX, 11RyanC, and myself - we've all been making some updates to the Vista-7 project lately) might be able to find a way to turn that off.

What you say about Ivy Bridge is partly true, meaning that there is a workaround to that problem. If you can get your hands on one of the last Sandy Bridge-era motherboards (such as the Asus P8Z68-V LX) which are also verified to support Ivy Bridge CPUs, then you can simply use the Sandy-era motherboard and still get the superior performance of an Ivy Bridge CPU. The Asus P8Z68-V LX has Asmedia USB 3.0, and Asmedia is known for their excellent support for Windows XP/Vista, so if you can go with Ivy Bridge, I'd recommend that motherboard. However, you might need to purchase (or borrow from a friend) a Sandy Bridge CPU in order to boot up the machine and update the board's BIOS to get it to support an Ivy Bridge CPU, since the board's original BIOS version doesn't support the use of Ivy CPUs and won't allow you to boot it with one without installing the BIOS update. This is why I purchased the ASUS P8B75-M board (an Ivy-era board) to avoid having to buy a Sandy Bridge CPU. Unfortunately it does not support USB 3.0 under Vista since it doesn't have a third party chipset (such as Asmedia), only Intel USB 3.0 which obviously doesn't support Vista. I may end up swapping boards later for this reason.

Come to think of it, I actually haven't really missed USB 3.x myself. Windows Vista will still recognize the USB 3.x ports and use its generic USB drivers for them, but they just might not run as optimally as they would if Intel provided its own USB 3.0 drivers.

I'm a little confused by this posting.  Sandy Bridge was great but Coffee Lake is the new Sandy Bridge.  6 Cores / 12 Threads in XP 32-Bit / Vista 64-Bit is now possible with i7-8700K.  Does no one here aside from me and Dibya have/had a Skylake 100 Series or higher series motherboard?  Coffee Lake is coming out in less than 6 hours tomorrow October 5th, 2017.  There might be limited quantities from what I've read so if anyone is seriously wanting to not wait around for new stock check if they carry it in your area or get it online before the stock is gone.  This is the first Intel 6 Core mainstream consumer class desktop CPU without going to enthusiast class.  Higher probability that XP, Vista, and W7 will work on it.  Also the Intel Z370 is capable of underclocking and deactivating cores.

http://wccftech.com/intel-core-i7-8700k-review/

NOTE: User Ragnargd has tested an AMD AM4 Ryzen 5 1600X (6 Cores / 12 Threads) with an ASRock X370 Gaming X MB and told me he couldn't underclock or deactivate or reduce his CPU cores so Intel CPUs would be an advantage of running cooler for 24/7 operation.

Vista 64-Bit works and Windows 7 64-Bit works on my Z170.  If you want a high probability of getting Vista 64-Bit to work look at the new AsRock Z370 Tai Chi.

https://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/Z370 Taichi/index.asp#Specification

In fact if anyone is willing to get it before me I'll help try and get it to work for XP and/or Vista on it.  XP 32-bit, Vista 64-Bit, Windows 7 64-Bit, and Windows 10 64-Bit (Ick) work fine on my Z170.  DOS and 98SE can be installed also but that's another topic.  This Z370 Taichi model has the same exact Asmedia USB controller so I'm quite certain 80% that this would should work the same.  This Z370 Taichi has 6 Asmedia USB 3.X ports (2 Rear, 4 Internal).  So this might be one of the best XP 32-bit capable systems I've seen without adding a USB card.  5 of the USB ports are Type A (Standard).  The Type C can be adapted to Type A so not a deal breaker.  Now the worst case is you still can get a very cheap USB 3.0 PCIe Card for XP.  There might be some 3rd Party companies that still have Vista 64-Bit USB 3.0 drivers if you double check the manufacturer sites for official drivers.  I don't think XP or Vista is as dead as you think it is on modern systems.  But running Windows 7 programs on Vista that's another story.

:hello:

Edited by 98SE

49 minutes ago, 98SE said:

I'm a little confused by this posting.  Sandy Bridge was great but Coffee Lake is the new Sandy Bridge.  6 Cores / 12 Threads in XP 32-Bit / Vista 64-Bit is now possible with i7-8700K.  Does no one here aside from me and Dibya have/had a Skylake 100 Series or higher series motherboard?  Coffee Lake is coming out in less than 6 hours tomorrow October 5th, 2017.  There might be limited quantities from what I've read so if anyone is seriously wanting to not wait around for new stock check if they carry it in your area or get it online before the stock is gone.  This is the first Intel 6 Core mainstream consumer class desktop CPU without going to enthusiast class.  Higher probability that XP, Vista, and W7 will work on it.  Also the Intel Z370 is capable of underclocking and deactivating cores.

NOTE: User Ragnargd has tested an AMD AM4 Ryzen 5 1600X (6 Cores / 12 Threads) with an ASRock X370 Gaming X MB and told me he couldn't underclock or deactivate or reduce his CPU cores so Intel CPUs would be an advantage of running cooler for 24/7 operation.

Vista 64-Bit works and Windows 7 64-Bit works on my Z170.  If you want a high probability of getting Vista 64-Bit to work look at the new AsRock Z370 Tai Chi.

In fact if anyone is willing to get it before me I'll help try and get it to work for XP and/or Vista on it.  XP 32-bit, Vista 64-Bit, Windows 7 64-Bit, and Windows 10 64-Bit (Ick) work fine on my Z170.  DOS and 98SE can be installed also but that's another topic.  This Z370 Taichi model has the same exact Asmedia USB controller so I'm quite certain 80% that this would should work the same.  This Z370 Taichi has 6 Asmedia USB 3.X ports (2 Rear, 4 Internal).  So this might be one of the best XP 32-bit capable systems I've seen without adding a USB card.  5 of the USB ports are Type A (Standard).  The Type C can be adapted to Type A so not a deal breaker.  Now the worst case is you still can get a very cheap USB 3.0 PCIe Card for XP.  There might be some 3rd Party companies that still have Vista 64-Bit USB 3.0 drivers if you double check the manufacturer sites for official drivers.  I don't think XP or Vista is as dead as you think it is on modern systems.  But running Windows 7 programs on Vista that's another story.

Im using skylake and probably the 1st one to have it on this forum using vista business 64bit,im having a hard time getting good drivers for my gtx 1060 unfortunately and everything laggs on vista due to very low gpu usage sadly ;(

7 minutes ago, 98SE said:

Well of course Vista will "work" on Coffee lake, just as it did with Haswell, Skylake, and so on. But the problem is finding proper drivers for Vista to communicate with the hardware. The Asmedia components might work on Vista with the board that you mentioned (AsRock Z370 Tai Chi), but there's another huge problem with Vista when coupled with Haswell (and newer) platforms, which I'm about to go into now:

Vista was very unstable for me when trying to use it on my Haswell hardware (ASUS H97-M board, Core i5 4460). Half the time, the OS wouldn't boot without an error popping up on the screen just before the startup orb animation appears that contained the following information: "The interactive logon process initialization has failed. Please consult the event log for more details." Upon closing the error, sometimes the machine would hang on a black screen or it would boot to a semi-usable desktop. If the latter occurred, many services failed to start and I was forced to reboot the machine to get them to start correctly, provided the machine even decided to boot properly on the next boot attempt (again, maybe 5 out of 10 times the OS would boot properly, but otherwise it would either display the aforementioned error or random services would fail to start, leaving the OS in an unusable state). I even installed Intel's own chipset drivers for XP/Vista for Haswell, and doing so had no effect: the error simply persisted.
Other users of Haswell/Skylake coupled with Vista (such as @11ryanc, @burd, and @dork) had the exact same problems with different Haswell/Skylake boards and CPUs than what I was using, so I know the problem wasn't caused through any fault of my own - Vista just simply doesn't work properly with any Intel platform after Ivy Bridge. I don't know why this is the case (even Windows XP at least successfully boots consistently on Haswell), but the fact of the matter is that it's more than likely to remain unfixed for the foreseeable future. If you're more technically inclined to fix or have the patience to deal with those issues, more power to you. But most people aren't going to have the patience or know-how when it comes to these errors and will simply opt to use Windows 7/8.x/10 instead (which is what I was forced to do until I went with Ivy Bridge). Since this issue has carried on through Haswell/Broadwell, Skylake, and Kaby Lake, it's pretty safe to assume that Coffee Lake will have the same problem. Just know that if you're buying Coffee Lake to run Vista, you're running the risk of either being forced to use Win7+ against your will, having to deal with the mess of problems I just mentioned, or having to return the hardware and just embrace Sandy/Ivy Bridge.

I'll be flabbergasted if this problem somehow doesn't occur with Coffee Lake, but I really don't see that happening. Just don't get too hopeful.

4 minutes ago, 2008WindowsVista said:

Well of course Vista will "work" on Coffee lake, just as it did with Haswell, Skylake, and so on. But the problem is finding proper drivers for Vista to communicate with the hardware. The Asmedia components might work on Vista with the board that you mentioned (AsRock Z370 Tai Chi), but there's another huge problem with Vista when coupled with Haswell (and newer) platforms, which I'm about to go into now:

Vista was very unstable for me when trying to use it on my Haswell hardware (ASUS H97-M board, Core i5 4460). Half the time, the OS wouldn't boot without an error popping up on the screen just before the startup orb animation appears that contained the following information: "The interactive logon process initialization has failed. Please consult the event log for more details." Upon closing the error, sometimes the machine would hang on a black screen or it would boot to a semi-usable desktop. If the latter occurred, many services failed to start and I was forced to reboot the machine to get them to start correctly, provided the machine even decided to boot properly on the next boot attempt (again, maybe 5 out of 10 times the OS would boot properly, but otherwise it would either display the aforementioned error or random services would fail to start, leaving the OS in an unusable state). I even installed Intel's own chipset drivers for XP/Vista for Haswell, and doing so had no effect: the error simply persisted.
Other users of Haswell/Skylake coupled with Vista (such as @11ryanc, @burd, and @dork) had the exact same problems with different Haswell/Skylake boards and CPUs than what I was using, so I know the problem wasn't caused through any fault of my own - Vista just simply doesn't work properly with any Intel platform after Ivy Bridge. I don't know why this is the case (even Windows XP at least successfully boots consistently on Haswell), but the fact of the matter is that it's more than likely to remain unfixed for the foreseeable future. If you're more technically inclined to fix or have the patience to deal with those issues, more power to you. But most people aren't going to have the patience or know-how when it comes to these errors and will simply opt to use Windows 7/8.x/10 instead (which is what I was forced to do until I went with Ivy Bridge). Since this issue has carried on through Haswell/Broadwell, Skylake, and Kaby Lake, it's pretty safe to assume that Coffee Lake will have the same problem. Just know that if you're buying Coffee Lake to run Vista, you're running the risk of either being forced to use Win7+ against your will, having to deal with the mess of problems I just mentioned, or having to return the hardware and just embrace Sandy/Ivy Bridge.

I'll be flabbergasted if this problem somehow doesn't occur with Coffee Lake, but I really don't see that happening. Just don't get too hopeful.

while the errors do show up, id like to mention after using my vista os for sometime the errors havent popped up
I now have 9/10 successfull flawless boot ups,i have no idea how its happening and was suprised

10 hours ago, burd said:

while the errors do show up, id like to mention after using my vista os for sometime the errors havent popped up
I now have 9/10 successfull flawless boot ups,i have no idea how its happening and was suprised

I never had these problems you described.

You might want to detail which version of Vista you are using (US, Europe, et cetera), Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Enterprise, or Ultimate, which Service Pack if any, what Graphics card, sound card, and network card used.  If using onboard or PCIe card for USB controller.

How much RAM you have installed and are you running any Page File, Swap file, have hibernation activated, or using a Ramdrive?

But the problem is finding proper drivers for Vista to communicate with the hardware."  Which hardware are you talking about?

The chipset drivers you don't need to install those at all.  You'll find a bunch of ? but it doesn't affect the stability.

All you need to get the machine running even on a basic level is video, audio and Usb ports.  Test the stability then.  The errors you are getting could be due to bad drivers so you'll have to isolate what hardware you add later causing the boot issues.  If you keep to a basic install you could even get away with no USB port drivers in some cases if you can get the USB mouse and PS2 keyboard working on your machine.  Do your 50 Boot Up Shut Down tests to see if you get that problem you described reoccurs.  Once you start adding more cards in the slots or install more software it is hard to guess what is causing the issue.  I also recommend SP2 with DX 11.0 if you haven't tried that combination on a clean install.  These must be done post install "manually" run in the OS.  I haven't tried NTLite with these yet have you?

Edited by 98SE

3 minutes ago, 98SE said:

I never had these problems you described.

You might want to detail which version of Vista you are using (US, Europe, et cetera) which Service Pack if any, what Graphics card, sound card, and network card used.  If using onboard or PCIe card for USB controller.

"But the problem is finding proper drivers for Vista to communicate with the hardware."  Which hardware are you talking about?

The chipset drivers you don't need to install those at all.  You'll find a bunch of ? but it doesn't affect the stability.

All you need to get the machine running even on a basic level is video, audio and Usb ports.  Test the stability then.  The errors you are getting could be due to bad drivers so you'll have to isolate what hardware you add later causing the boot issues.  If you keep to a basic install you could even get away with no USB port drivers in some cases if you can get the USB mouse and PS2 keyboard working on your machine.  Do your 50 Boot Up Shut Down tests to see if you get that problem you described reoccurs.  Once you start adding more cards in the slots or install more software it is hard to guess what is causing the issue.  I also recommend SP2 with DX 11.0 if you haven't tried that combination on a clean install.  These must be done post install "manually" run in the OS.  I haven't tried NTLite with these yet have you?

US version Vista SP2 Business 
also its a laptop and GTX 1060 with 372.70 drivers
i7 6700HQ (Skylake)
Also using asmedia's usb 3.1 and yes i have a fully updated system with win2k8 updates

Edited by burd

1 hour ago, burd said:

US version Vista SP2 Business 
also its a laptop and GTX 1060 with 372.70 drivers
i7 6700HQ (Skylake)
Also using asmedia's usb 3.1 and yes i have a fully updated system with win2k8 updates

Still missing a lot of info, read my message as you replied during my edit.

"Note" I just read laptop.  I wouldn't recommend Vista on a laptop and a GTX 1060 is Pascal so you won't get working drivers at all using it.  GTX 600M series I think were the last to have XP and Vista drivers so laptops got screwed a bit earlier on support.

However if you must have Vista working on a laptop I saw a solution.

...wait...

Just from first glance try getting Vista 64-Bit Ultimate

Add SP2 post clean install

Reboot

ADD DX11.0 post SP2 update

Don't add anything else and use an OS imaging program and store that clean partition state.  Don't mess with adding "any" drivers, cards, or activate it.

You need to use this image to fall back on in case something goes wrong.

I also don't recommend all those other updates you mentioned which could cause problems.

For memory I recommend 16GB minimum although I would suggest you fill it up to 32GB or 64GB if you're on SkyLake.

Graphics card try a Maxwell 700 Series based.  GTX 750 is a good one.  GTX 960 if you need more power.

Use HDMI for the video/audio if you don't use a sound card but have a HDTV with audio output.

USB card find one on eBay that you can verify supports Vista on the manufacturer site.  It is possible the onboard USB drivers could be unstable and disabling it in the BIOS and testing an onboard USB Card to see if it works.

You might also want to do a Windows 7 64-Bit Ultimate install and add SP1 and "no other updates", no extra cards and no activation and do an OS image of that partition for safe keeping.

Do another series of 50 Boot ups and Shut downs.

See if it happens or not.

That's the best I can offer as what I would be doing in your situation and it's time intensive and too many variables like your Brand and Model MB could be a factor.

Edited by 98SE

7 minutes ago, 98SE said:

Still missing a lot of info, read my message as you replied during my edit.

Just from first glance try getting Vista 64-Bit Ultimate

Add SP2 post clean install

Reboot

ADD DX11.0 post SP2 update

Don't add anything else and use an OS imaging program and store that clean partition state.  Don't mess with adding "any" drivers, cards, or activate it.

You need to use this image to fall back on in case something goes wrong.

I also don't recommend all those other updates you mentioned which could cause problems.

For memory I recommend 16GB minimum although I would suggest you fill it up to 32GB or 64GB if you're on SkyLake.

Graphics card try a Maxwell 700 Series based.  GTX 750 is a good one.  GTX 960 if you need more power.

Use HDMI for the video/audio if you don't use a sound card but have a HDTV with audio output.

USB card find one on eBay that you can verify supports Vista on the manufacturer site.  It is possible the onboard USB drivers could be unstable and disabling it in the BIOS and testing an onboard USB Card to see if it works.

You might also want to do a Windows 7 64-Bit Ultimate install and add SP1 and "no other updates", no extra cards and no activation and do an OS image of that partition for safe keeping.

Do another series of 50 Boot ups and Shut downs.

See if it happens or not.

That's the best I can offer as what I would be doing in your situation and it's time intensive and too many variables like your Brand and Model MB could be a factor.

Already Tried Doing the Manual Adding and the Auto(official ms iso) and it turned out real bad, also i have a laptop so im unable to change my gpu or cpu or ram or memory,i do use a hdmi connected to my monitor though and i have asmedia 3.1 usb drivers that connect directly to my motherboard, the deal here is, i kept on using vista through the bugs and now it almost boots up 90% of the times flawlessly for some reason.

Btw i have dual booted Windows 7(home prem) and Vista(busi) both 64bit(Win7 Has no Issues whatsoever)

If you want to checkout my laptop then here it is

https://www.msi.com/Laptop/GT72VR-6RD-Dominator.html

Im a semi professional gamer so i use it :)

Edited by burd