Running Windows 98 in 2020 and beyond...

Wunderbar98

== Modern Web Browser Emulation ==

= Overview =

Emulate a recent Firefox or SeaMonkey web browser, tested in vanilla Windows 98. Performance is much too slow to be functional on a 1.8 Ghz system. Emulating a modern web browser needs a fast processor and lots of memory. This is just an experimental exercise and may not be practical. It would work best with maxed out hardware and kernel extensions for a newer, accelerated emulator. Even on decent hardare, browser configuration would likely need to be leaned out.

Minimum host requirements:
- Vanilla Windows 98
- High speed internet
- 500 MB drive space
- 2 GHz processor
- 1.5 GB RAM

Best suited for the following use case:
- Want to run Windows 98 as the primary OS.
- Have adequate hardware to run emulation.
- Occasionally need a modern browser (eg. email, banking). [1]
- Don't want to run a multi-boot system.
- Desire to hack and try something new.

[1] Use at own risk.

This how to uses QEMU emulator with a Tiny Core Linux (TCL) guest, why:
- Freely available open source tools.
- No formal software install or registry changes.
- The sofware combination works in vanilla Windows 98.
- Low system resources, base TCL boots with < 64 MB RAM.
- Small footprint: QEMU < 2 MB extracted, TCL 16 MB ISO.
- Familiarity, previously contributed TCL patches and extensions.
- Up to a 15-20 year newer code base that can run a modern browser.
- TCL is actively developed and has a forum, wiki and reference book.

To me the neatest part is that Windows 98 acts as host, while the guest runs code almost 20 years newer. Recommend experimenting with QEMU in C:\Windows\temp and moving files to a permanent location later. In vanilla Windows 98, 7-Zip v9.20 can be used to handle ZIP and ISO files.

This example uses a 500 MB virtual disk for simplicity. Most is used to install and run a modern web browser and the remainder is a fallback swap partition. The default LAUNCH.BAT config file allots 1024 MB RAM to QEMU. Feel free to increase the virtual drive size and RAM allocation as hardware permits.

This guide can be used modularly and customized. For example, use different emulation or virtualization software, replace TCL with something else. Modify the size or number of virtual disks. There are graphic QEMU setup programs. If your system is running a newer version of Windows then accelerated emulation should be trialed. QEMU and TCL come with many configuration options, modify as desired.

These README_FIRST.TXT setup steps do not use or require clipboard or file pass through. Depending on use case this can be a security plus, using a modern browser in semi-sandboxed environment. If file sharing between the host and guest is desired, review README_FILE_SHARE.TXT. Note a very old version of QEMU is utilized, including unpatched bugs and security holes, use at own risk.

This how to uses a DOS COMMAND.COM window and a Linux virtual terminal to perform most tasks, explicit commands are provided. In QEMU's TCL, use up arrow for previous commands and tab autocomplete when possible to ensure the correct directory or filename is being utilized. Use 'ls' to list items in a directory, 'cd' to change directory, enter 'reset' to clear a cluttered terminal. Familiarity with Linux and the command line is helpful.

= Downloads =

Download Win98_BrowserEmulator.zip (~16 MB) from below (no JavaScript needed).
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=13776965115608743747

Win98_BrowserEmulator.zip contents:
- QEMU v0.8.2 (2003-2005 era)
- TinyCore-7.2.iso (TCL, 2015-2017 era)
- Custom QEMU LAUNCH.BAT
- QEMU.EXE_options.txt
- QEMU-IMG.EXE_options.txt

Download README.zip from below (no JavaScript needed).
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=25326982961702772283

README.zip contents:
- README_FILE_SHARE.TXT
- README_FIREFOX.TXT
- README_FIRST.TXT
- README_SEAMONKEY.TXT

Edit1: 08FEB2020 - Updated README.TXT.
Edit2: 29FEB2020 - Project update, new README.zip and Win98_BrowserEmulator.zip

Edited by Wunderbar98

9 hours ago, Wunderbar98 said:

= Modern Web Browser Emulation =

Emulate a recent Firefox or SeaMonkey web browser, tested in vanilla Windows 98. Performance is much too slow to be functional on a 1.8 Ghz system. Emulating a modern web browser needs a fast processor and lots of memory. This is just an experimental exercise and may not be practical. It would work best with maxed out hardware and kernel extensions for a newer, accelerated emulator. Even on decent hardare, browser configuration would likely need to be leaned out.

Minimum requirements:
- Vanilla Windows 98
- High speed internet
- 500 MB drive space
- 2 GHz processor
- 1 GB RAM

[1] Use at own risk.

To me the neatest part is that Windows 98 acts as host, while the guest runs code almost 20 years newer. Recommend experimenting with QEMU in C:\Windows\temp and moving files to a permanent location later. In vanilla Windows 98, 7-Zip v9.20 can be used to handle ZIP and ISO files.

This example uses a 500 MB virtual disk for simplicity. Half is used to install and run a modern web browser and the other half is a fallback swap partition. The default config file (LAUNCH.BAT) allots 768 MB RAM to QEMU. Feel free to increase the virtual drive size and RAM allocation as hardware permits.

This guide can be used modularly and customized. For example, use different emulation or virtualization software, replace TCL with something else. Modify the size or number of virtual disks. There are graphic QEMU setup programs. If your system is running a newer version of Windows then accelerated emulation should be trialed. QEMU and TCL come with many configuration options, modify as desired.

This how to does not use or require clipboard or file pass through, etc. Depending on use case this can be a security plus, using a modern browser in semi-sandboxed environment. Otherwise research additional configuration options to allow these features. Note a very old version of QEMU is utilized, including unpatched bugs and security holes, use at own risk.

The how to uses a DOS COMMAND.COM window and a Linux virtual terminal to perform most tasks, explicit commands are provided. In QEMU's TCL, use up arrow for previous commands and tab autocomplete when possible to ensure the correct directory or filename is being utilized. Use 'ls' to list items in a directory, 'cd' to change directory, enter 'reset' to clear a cluttered terminal. Familiarity with Linux and the command line is helpful.

README.TXT download (no JavaScript needed).

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=00957671279353361167

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=96535970575296568771

- Custom QEMU LAUNCH.BAT

VERY interesting. I might try it later this weekend. So it uses QEMU to basically launch any modern browser Tiny Core supports? How it deals with downloads and local files?

If yes, then modern SeaMonkey + Netscape theme = win

Edited by Bruninho

Hi Bruninho, pretty much, it ran Firefox v49 and SeaMonkey v2.49.4 (2018), very slowly. My CPU doesn't support SSE2, otherwise i would have tried for Firefox 70 whatever and the latest SeaMonkey Beta, just released. You may want to use the README.TXT steps on Windows 2000, using an accelerated emulator. This would probably work better on Windows 2000 and XP type systems anyway, as they support faster hardware.

The README.TXT download above has detailed step by step notes, as not everyone has the same background using DOS, emulators, fdisk, Linux, virtual terminal. There are notes for manually repacking an extension to update a browser yourself when a new release comes along. For most it's too much bother and the performance hit is too great. If you like to tinker and test, brew a nice warm beverage and enjoy.

Sorry Bruninho, just realized your last queries were not answered. As per my README.TXT, clipboard and file passthrough is not addressed. For some this is a security feature, semi-sandboxed browser. Extra legwork would be required by the user to figure out passthrough for QEMU or whatever emulator they choose to use. Sorry i don't have an answer, emulation is my weakness, this was the only QEMU version that worked in vanilla Windows 98 and all emulators are different. To complicate matters, this old QEMU release works differently than more current releases and documentation for this old QEMU could not be found. Maybe someone else will provide insight or figure it out.

Edited by Wunderbar98

On 2/5/2020 at 9:58 PM, Wunderbar98 said:

= Modern Web Browser Emulation =

Minimum requirements:
- Vanilla Windows 98
- High speed internet
- 500 MB drive space
- 2 GHz processor
- 1 GB RAM

[1] Use at own risk.

This example uses a 500 MB virtual disk for simplicity. Half is used to install and run a modern web browser and the other half is a fallback swap partition. The default config file (LAUNCH.BAT) allots 768 MB RAM to QEMU. Feel free to increase the virtual drive size and RAM allocation as hardware permits.

This how to does not use or require clipboard or file pass through, etc. Depending on use case this can be a security plus, using a modern browser in semi-sandboxed environment. Otherwise research additional configuration options to allow these features. Note a very old version of QEMU is utilized, including unpatched bugs and security holes, use at own risk.

The how to uses a DOS COMMAND.COM window and a Linux virtual terminal to perform most tasks, explicit commands are provided. In QEMU's TCL, use up arrow for previous commands and tab autocomplete when possible to ensure the correct directory or filename is being utilized. Use 'ls' to list items in a directory, 'cd' to change directory, enter 'reset' to clear a cluttered terminal. Familiarity with Linux and the command line is helpful.

README.TXT download (no JavaScript needed).

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=00957671279353361167

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=96535970575296568771

- Custom QEMU LAUNCH.BAT

Very cool! I'll have to give this a try after I get off work tomorrow :) 

If you decide to trial, hope it works out okay for you Bruninho and sparty411.

The SeaMonkey and Firefox screenshots above scaled poorly, browser versions are barely legible. Re-uploaded, here are 'direct links', opening the image in a new tab should allow proper re-sizing.

SeaMonkey v2.49.4:
https://i.postimg.cc/qRXsJ71j/Browser-Emulator2.png

Firefox v49.0.2:
https://i.postimg.cc/j2hY4yZP/Browser-Emulator3.png

Will likely never post another desktop screenshot here again so wanted to show Process Explorer v8.52 minimized to tray, black bar graph in shot, goes green up to red with CPU use. TinyResMeter v0.95a displaying Uptime, RAM and Page File use, very configurable. Tihiy's tools -> Network activity indicator to monitor network activity, idle in screenshots.

All this software was discussed and probably linked earlier in this thread. Probably the most functional Windows 98 desktop i've ever set up, thank-you forum members for the assistance.

On 2/6/2020 at 6:30 PM, Wunderbar98 said:

Sorry Bruninho, just realized your last queries were not answered. As per my README.TXT, clipboard and file passthrough is not addressed. For some this is a security feature, semi-sandboxed browser. Extra legwork would be required by the user to figure out passthrough for QEMU or whatever emulator they choose to use. Sorry i don't have an answer, emulation is my weakness, this was the only QEMU version that worked in vanilla Windows 98 and all emulators are different. To complicate matters, this old QEMU release works differently than more current releases and documentation for this old QEMU could not be found. Maybe someone else will provide insight or figure it out.

How about shared folders for the file passthrough? My Windows 98 instance is a VMware VM, and setting up a shared folder on TCL could let Win98 access the file downloads there, if QEMU supports it. Just a theory.

I fiddled with QEMU years back (same version as this one) and as far as I remember there is no hardware access for the guest OS when QEMU runs in in a 9x environment.

I think the only way is to format a virtual disk in FAT32 and use the japanese sofware Disk Explorer to get files out of it. (QEMU virtual disks recognized as vmware plain disk and no support for Linux filesystems as far as I know). I don't know if Tiny Core has FAT 32 support.

http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA013937/editdisk/index_e.html

Edited by loblo

3 hours ago, loblo said:

I fiddled with QEMU years back (same version as this one) and as far as I remember there is no hardware access for the guest OS when QEMU runs in in a 9x environment.

I think the only way is to format a virtual disk in FAT32 and use the japanese sofware Disk Explorer to get files out of it. (QEMU virtual disks recognized as vmware plain disk and no support for Linux filesystems as far as I know). I don't know if Tiny Core has FAT 32 support.

http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA013937/editdisk/index_e.html

for FAT32 VMDK, you can just use WinImage