Running Windows 98 in 2020 and beyond...

Wunderbar98

I have been trying to download using qBittorent since 4Hrs ago. Before that I was using Vuze to download. I have been mucking around with a WinMe build which had Vuze running. It was seeding some RLoew files but this is the one that is intermittent as I think I have put in a plugin that was incompatible and it kept on trying to install.  I was running out of lDT resources. Bphlpt, perhaps this is the one that you saw. I think if I create a torrent & see if DW can download it might be worth a try. Link works.

Edited by Goodmaneuver

12 minutes ago, bphlpt said:

That worked, and I'm now seeding it back via the torrent. Can you see it?

I'm not sure what I see anymore. :) Glad it worked one way or another.

Please be careful when running those scripts. Do NOT run myAV on anything higher than XP - it will delete extensionless files in the root drive, rendering the system unbootable!

Also please check licenses for code and binaries that do not belong to me.

Oh, I removed the torrent files from previous comments, they would've created confusion. If you really want to keep seeding you may post Magnet links instead.

Edited by Drugwash
added note about torrent files removal

Hi Drugwash, thanks for sharing your hoard.

Juat downloaded the zip file from the dropbox link via vanilla Windows 98 SE, using Dillo without forum login. So these files are now pretty much world accessible, not sure how long dropbox maintains them.

Thanks again. Will be fun going through it. This thread has never seen this much activity, lol.

The two torrents are now both seeding (same content), and I'll continue to do so for the next several hours, (longer if you request), then I'll quit. Thanks for the scripts, and the warning. I'll be sure to check the licenses as appropriate. You can delete your DropBox link if you desire.  I don't know how widely you wanted to share these files. After I quit seeding, I won't share these files with anyone else without your direct permission. Glad I could help.

Cheers and Regards

Thanks Drugwash I think I will change back to Azureus, it is much more informative. First file is downloading , much slower though. There are 4 peers not connected unlike 2nd torrent, at the rate it is going it will take 2hrs. I too abide with your sharing decision.

12 minutes ago, Wunderbar98 said:

Thanks again.

11 minutes ago, bphlpt said:

Thanks for the scripts, and the warning.

You're welcome.

11 minutes ago, bphlpt said:

I don't know how widely you wanted to share these files.

They have been shared publicly for quite a while on CloudMe but they blocked my access when GDPR came into the picture so I deleted my account there. Feel free to share them for as long as you like, at least the AHK scripts built by me - the others (AHK 1.0, Leaks, 7-zip, Miranda IM etc) may have their own terms and conditions but I didn't check that thoroughly.

I just installed Dropbox and created an account there only for this file. Maybe I'll keep using it for any future updates to the scripts, if I ever find the spare time and drive. The link will remain available until I decide otherwise; hopefully it won't rot.

Thanks Drugwash I think I will change back to Azureus, it is much more informative. First file is downloading , much slower though. There are 4 peers not connected unlike 2nd torrent, at the rate it is going it will take 2hrs. I too abide with your sharing decision.

Please use any client you like, I used to use an old FlashGet back on 98SE and XP. On Mint, qBittorrent looks kinda similar to it, maybe that's why I stayed with it.

I see 8/13 peers for the two files but no activity whatsoever; could very well be my fault, I'm not yet familiar with this stuff.

I've always shared what I created, it's my belief that everything in life should be free, but that would only be possible in an ideal world which we're extremely far from, unfortunately. Still, I do what I can towards that goal. Enjoy! :)

Edited by Drugwash

I got used to Bityrant which was a make over of Azureus 2.5. I used timed rotation, and super seeding as then the same piece is not uploaded as much. I think other peers have to accept super seeding as well and not try to download sequentially. I also set auto start seeding with zero peers so that it helps start the file when it is rare. It was the best performer when dealing with a lot of files. If there was a rare file like your one I am trying to download but is running too slow, I would like to know why, then focus had to be placed on that file as the peer/seed could get impatient. Some algorithms punish peers if they do not share, there are 4 peers showing on my qBittorrent only one is connected I think that will be bphlpt the other 3 could be the trackers. Why are there no seeds showing is that because bphlpt has not got the file either? I think I would be more familiar with Vuze as it will show different detail. It will take a lot longer than 2Hrs now that it is grinding to a halt. Is there any secret in how the first torrent started? My ME Vuze is performing as it should now, I deleted thousands of temporary files. I believe that it was the KEX mode changes that caused the problem from when I was trying to debug for KEX development and not a plugin. I believe the registry was not accessed properly to get the fonts when using the NT40 & above modes. Bittyrant will be vanilla 98 compatible but will need Java; 1.5 will do. It does not recognize some new types of magnets now though.

PS I thought I had some some RLoew files seeding but it was just some plugins on that HDD.

Edited by Goodmaneuver

I forgot to mention, if the speed drops to below a set value then the activity can be not shown as taking up a slot. Perhaps this is why you did not see any activity? How is it showing?

First file now completely downloaded, it sped up a bit.

Next thing is to see if the torrent can be found from an internet search, the torrent's name should reflect the content. It should be advertised on the tracker if I have the auto start all completed torrents with zero peers selected. BTW if going to try Vuze , best to download old version and do not accept anything, as it comes with bundled software, A lot of fake files out there see https://msfn.org/board/profile/406317-goodmaneuver/ then let update do it thing thus avoiding unwanted software being installed.

Edited by Goodmaneuver

52 minutes ago, Goodmaneuver said:

How is it showing?

See screenshot. My upload capability is somewhere around 700-800kB/s according to the network meter applet, so there shouldn't be a problem on my side unless I did something wrong when creating torrents.

Personally I'm not going to try other clients, qBittorrent and Transmission as alternative should be enough. Your warning could be useful to others though, thanks.

Screenshot from 2019-11-23 14-37-20.png

There was not a problem with your created torrent as it worked on Win7. The source file becomes the save once torrent is started and therefore has to comply with the operating system hosting the torrent program. I thought it was the names public-1 & public-2 that was the issue or the same file names in both might be it? I did not try the second torrent on ME just yet. I do not know what actually happened did bphlpt connect via qBittorrent as I could not connect to download from you? I think certain countries have better ethernet links between each other. I still cannot link directly to you as your image shows 1 seed so does mine but before download finished it showed 0. The internet has a sort of spring/oscillation about it, speed varies & peers drop away as speed becomes negative so to speak. The trackers provide a relay to link the peers together providing a boost in signal, perhaps there were not enough or the trackers were not located in the necessary locations.

I have just copied over from Win7 to WinME via ethernet torrent files & WinME thinks that RPTE1008-Unicode.7z. has the same name as RPTE1008.7z so this could be a problem I do not know just yet. I usually tell it to auto rename it & it renamed RPTE1008.7z > RPTE1008 (2).7z

Edited by Goodmaneuver

Linux uses UTF-8 by default for file and folder names, this could be an issue in Win9x. Or I may be rambling.

I know for a fact that certain trackers are being screened by the ISPs following requests from certain media thugs. This could also be an issue.

First torrent contains a base folder called public where all subfolders and files are located.

Second torrent contains a single archive called public_work.7z. The contents of the public folder were archived through Total Commander under Wine, using a 7-zip plug-in that I updated myself years ago and that worked fine under Win98SE.

We should probably stick to the Dropbox link for now and if necessary start a separate thread on torrent compatibility between Win9x/WinNT+/Linux.