Running Windows 98 in 2020 and beyond...

Wunderbar98

ACPI often messes up with the device enumeration. A 9x PC with ACPI can have yellow marks in Device Manager whereas the same system without it, is perfectly fine.

I do not see any benefits to use ACPI on 9x, even on period correct hardware...maybe hibernation? But hibernation on FAT32 is not a good idea anyways...

It is not a coincidence that IBM specifically tells the user to install 98SE without ACPI as can be seen here in one of their files for their T4x series of ThinkPads, see here: 

https://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles/tpisos98.txt

http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles/tpisos98.exe

16 hours ago, MrMateczko said:

IBM specifically tells the user to install 98SE without ACPI

Ok, may be in some cases (not my case, NForce2 PCs work with ACPI flawlessly). But in any case "without ACPI" and "setup /i" are NOT the same things.

21 hours ago, SweetLow said:

Ok, may be in some cases (not my case, NForce2 PCs work with ACPI flawlessly). But in any case "without ACPI" and "setup /i" are NOT the same things.

How they are different?

And yes, I know regular setup works well for majority of appropriate machines (having official 9x support) but for those that are newer or have Device Manager problems with ACPI, switching to APM using "setup /p i" fixes all issues without any drawbacks, or at least I do not know of any major ones.

But you wrote:

P.S. This registry key is exactly what "setup /p i" does.

The IBM file I mentioned earlier does this:

; The following line will allow the system dated after 12/02/99 BIOS 
; install APM 
HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Detect,"ACPIOption",1,2

Which matches what you wrote in that post.

Is IgnorePnPBIOS even a valid option? I can't find it mentioned anywhere besides your posts, hard to believe no-one found it before you... :huh:

12 hours ago, MrMateczko said:

Is IgnorePnPBIOS even a valid option? I can't find it mentioned anywhere besides your posts, hard to believe no-one found it before you...

The best expirience is test it youself if you doubt. But i didn't believe in this fact too:

http://forum.ru-board.com/topic.cgi?forum=62&topic=28114&start=5240#17 (translate the P.S. from this post)

P.S. And i can demonstrate few other (registry) options which i found when i really need them ;)

Edited by SweetLow
p.s. addded

I know the following is hardly a contribution to the current subject. It would be better if I provided a detailed description, of what the things being discussed actually do, beyond the vague definitions I offer inside a link.

The Internet does know about "/i". I should say, the Internet knew about "/i"; but the Internet is forgetful. If you bug it to remember, you can coax the info into surfacing.

Here is a link to Windows 9x setup switches.