Running Windows 98 in 2020 and beyond...

Wunderbar98

3 hours ago, Wunderbar98 said:

Thank-you for the notes and links @Dixel. The files were downloaded but Universal Extractor fails with the Gold edition patch on both Windows 98 (Universal Extractor v1.5) and Windows XP (fresh patch download, Universal Extractor v1.6 portable). Attempting to extract data1.hdr in Windows 98 provides an empty error log (uniextract.txt) but a Universal Extractor error popup indicates 'appears to be a supported InstallShield CAB archive'. In Windows XP the uniextract.txt error log indicates 'An exception occured, this might be a new version of InstallShield not supported at the moment'. AFAIK v1.6 is last release of Universal Extractor, the systems used are 32-bit, non-SSE2.

I hope you don't mind me replying to this , Dixel is inactive for some time (busy?) . Your troubles are because you had used an old version .

There's 2.0 available

https://www.softpedia.com/get/Compression-tools/Universal-Extractor-Bioruebe.shtml

I was able to extract with 2.0 RC2 (I hope RC3.0 is even better). You only need to exrtact data1.hdr ! It will find the other files automatically . Regarding the game , I can give my legal copy to you for free , as a gift , because I love Canadians (New Year gift  etc.). I do not have the addon . I only own the Order Of Dawn . But you can still patch it to 1.38 (legally , to avoid the checks and bugs). The problem is I'm "unvaxzinated" , so it would be a huge trouble to arrange the shipping , not to mention the costs . But I can send you my unique game ID from inside the box so you could activate it legally. I'll not use the game myself after that, of course . I'm pretty sure it's a legal way . In PM , of course !

58 minutes ago, Wunderbar98 said:

After a few months of checking finally bought another used system. I was open to Pentium 4 for an ultimate Windows 98 multi-boot but ended up purchasing a newer Acer Aspire (2010 era, 64-bit, 2.8 GHz dual-core, Windows 7). The hardware will be refurbished and Windows 7 OS reset. Windows 7 probably won't be used but may come in handy for income tax software (most vendors here dropped Windows XP). Never used a Windows release this new, everything throbs and glows. Apparently Windows 7 was supported until early 2020 so should provide a decent user experience. The system will primarily be used for secure web browsing and data handling via BSD or GNU/Linux.

For anyone price checking this used Acer Aspire AX1400-E3802 was purchased for $50 CDN (about 5 Big Mac meals). It included a 20" LCD monitor, new in package PS2 mouse and keyboard, used desktop speakers plus subwoofer, used HP printer and used router. The router is newer than mine and not provided by my ISP, so may switch over. As this Acer supports good old fashioned VGA and PS2, i can stop fretting over a 'can of worms' upgrade to Raspberry Pi4 (HDMI mini converter, HDMI monitor, USB mouse/keyboard).

In all my years only two new 'modern' systems were ever purchased. My custom Windows 98 build in 1999 and an HP Mini netbook in 2009 (runs great, portable business use). Up until now i never paid for used hardware but ended up purchasing two used systems in 2021. The first a Dell Vostro (2010 era, 64-bit, 3.2 GHz dual-core, Windows XP) and now this Acer Aspire. Both are capable and overpowered for my needs. Pending hardware failure they should be good for 10+ years. Unfortunately the Vostro has IME (Intel Management Engine), still good for unimportant computing, which prompted this Acer purchase. Apparently AMD didn't introduce PSP (Platform Security Processor) until 2014/2015. My needs are fairly basic so there was no need to maximize hardware before Intel IME / AMD PSP.

your thing sounds similar what I got. I got newer hw for things that my old hardware fails to do. One example is accessing my online bank as site is very bloated even on Pentium 4. Need fast core2duo at minium to be able do money transfers proper. Never though I would need lot computing power just for keeping up with finances.

For anything I can I like to use my trusty old Pentium 4 with XP and trusty old Pentium 3 with Windows 98. It is effective computing that I enjoy.

7 minutes ago, Mr.Scienceman2000 said:

One example is accessing my online bank as site is very bloated even on Pentium 4.

Mine appears simpler, has a bit of JavaScript, they don't use it to render the whole site and still works with Pale Moon. Seems usable with CPU downclocked to 800 MHz (the lowest it can go) and affinity for the web browser set to one core, it adds extra delay for things to load, 4 seconds at least.

But you need an authenticator app to get in that works either on Android 6+ or Windows 10+, so older Windows versions alone are out. Wasn't very long ago when you could do everything digital with that bank on Windows XP.

41 minutes ago, UCyborg said:

But you need an authenticator app to get in that works either on Android 6+ or Windows 10+, so older Windows versions alone are out. Wasn't very long ago when you could do everything digital with that bank on Windows XP.

I am lucky for not needing application. Bank still offers paper with some one time use codes to clients since many customers are elderly ones who wont have smartphone. They ask sms auth (bank uses 3FA) for some thing though so need some way to receive text messages to use bank. For me my old brick nokia will do it but something like google voice should work too. They do want their users to use smartphone application, but I was able to silent bank officer from asking it by pulling out my old Nokia and asking if I can get app for this :buehehe:.

I have always been bit sceptic for using SMS at authentation as SMS is plaintext and there is attack methods to steal your messages. Well they still need that piece of paper to access bank luckily and sms is only used for transaction confirmation after entering code from paper.

Edited by Mr.Scienceman2000

8 minutes ago, Mr.Scienceman2000 said:

They ask sms auth (bank uses 3FA) for some thing though so need some way to receive text messages to use bank.

SMS auth also seems to be the bare minimum you'll be required to use any online bank here these days. One maybe still offers the special terminal thingy for the job if they haven't cancelled it already since everyone have smartphones. And it seems everyone have RECENT smartphones.

Any time you see someone with a smartphone it's always a big brick with multiple cameras. What happened to the likes of Samsung Galaxy Mini?

7 minutes ago, UCyborg said:

Any time you see someone with a smartphone it's always a big brick with multiple cameras.

I hate to call on work phone. It is relatively new samsung galaxy with over 5" screen. I need both of my hands to call while in older smaller handsets were usable with only one. Also for me phone cameras never were to serious use. I prefer deciated cameras and camecoders.

7 minutes ago, UCyborg said:

What happened to the likes of Samsung Galaxy Mini?

do you remember era where every company wanted make smallest phone possible? I got few of those small handsets that are pretty unusable with my fingers. Then one day they decided phone must be very large. Some of new ones are 7+" which is near size of my netbook. Maybe I should start walk with that in pocket to be trendy with huge device? Or pick my Nokia 880 with pull up antenna. It is same size as modern smartphone even though it was from 1995.

Edited by Mr.Scienceman2000

12 minutes ago, Mr.Scienceman2000 said:

I need both of my hands to call while in older smaller handsets were usable with only one.

Yeah, also painful when you need to pull the status bar which you easily do with a thumb on a smaller one.

16 minutes ago, Mr.Scienceman2000 said:

I hate to call on work phone.

Do you only work in the office? Would make sense if they provided you a normal phone in this case. At least where I work we still have normal stationary phones. Terrain folks use smartphones.

21 minutes ago, Mr.Scienceman2000 said:

Also for me phone cameras never were to serious use. I prefer deciated cameras and camecoders.

I agree specialized equipment is always better, now these phones try to be a swiss knife for everything. I only use camera once in a blue moon, it almost slipped out of my active memory that I even have a dedicated one over years, from the times when my family wasn't home ALL the time.

25 minutes ago, Mr.Scienceman2000 said:

do you remember era where every company wanted make smallest phone possible? I got few of those small handsets that are pretty unusable with my fingers.

:yes:

30 minutes ago, Mr.Scienceman2000 said:

Then one day they decided phone must be very large. Some of new ones are 7+" which is near size of my netbook. Maybe I should start walk with that in pocket to be trendy with huge device?

Yes, and go hunt Pokémons with it!:buehehe:

Thanks for your generous offer @D.Draker. Seems a fair way to gift a game during a pandemic, I graciously accept. The main game is more than enough, thank-you. If you want to PM the game ID that would be great. If we're both still active here when i finish, i'll notify you and purge all gaming content, then it's all yours again!

The extraction still fails in Windows XP trialing Universal Extractor 2 RC3. Error popup indicates 'data1.hdr could not be extracted' and 'it appears to be an InstallShield Installer, which is supported, but extraction failed'. The log file isn't useful (to me). I think the Universal Extractor 2 documentation indicated Windows XP was only partially supported, maybe that's the problem. Doesn't matter, 'unshield' in GNU/Linux was used to extract 'data2.cab' (43 MB) directly via command line to get the patched 'SpellForce.exe' (10113024 bytes). Game on.

Hi @Mr.Scienceman2000, i usually use the lesser computer to get the job done too. Posting here with 1.8 GHz Windows 98 seems a waste of horsepower. Hi @UCyborg, impressive downclocking to 800 MHz single core, my favourite CPU speed. Using modern bank sites while trying to avoid swap with 384 MB RAM is a challenge here. Depending on the site, it's sometimes amazing how many JavaScript domains can be blocked via NoScript or similar. Thus far i'm still able to get all finance done on non-SSE2 and non-64-bit systems but it's difficult, hence the 64-bit purchase.

One finance site, using an older SeaMonkey with dated JavaScript handling, the dollar amount input field doesn't work. The work-around is to open SeaMonkey's Developer Tools and change the JavaScript enabled input field from 'type=text' to 'type=number'. Then i can bypass the 'text' processing JavaScript and enter my dollar value. Here a smartphone isn't required yet. If it does i'll become a van dweller and pay cash for everything. Actually i'm slowly modifying my old truck. Used to be 'preppers' were sort of extremist. With the climate change problems experienced in my country this year, now it's just common sense to have an emergency plan. If i need to evacuate i'll grab my Windows 98 system first (just joking), i'll stay in my truck vs a virus infected hotel anyday.

Hi @RainyShadow, sorry just saw your PM now. Notifications don't seem to show correctly in RetroZilla, will check it out, thanks again.

On 12/29/2021 at 9:06 PM, Mr.Scienceman2000 said:

I got newer hw for things that my old hardware fails to do.

On 12/30/2021 at 8:49 AM, Wunderbar98 said:

Hi @Mr.Scienceman2000, i usually use the lesser computer to get the job done too.

There's a thread somewhere on this forum about how many computers people got - https://msfn.org/board/topic/182536-how-many-computers-do-you-own/ - cannot relate, most that posted have shitload of computers. I'd go nuts with that many computers, the only reason I own a laptop besides a desktop is because I needed a portable computer for total 3 months of my life.

Hi @UCyborg, impressive downclocking to 800 MHz single core, my favourite CPU speed.

It's part of the power management, CPU multiplier may be dynamically adjusted depending on workload.

Here a smartphone isn't required yet. If it does i'll become a van dweller and pay cash for everything.

I'd be a bit lost without it since it does speed up some things in life and with jobs taking most of our time, every minute is welcome. I also use it to pay for fuel, almost the only thing I have to get out for which I'd need an official negative COVID test otherwise or look for another gas station. Also comes in handy if you only need to lookup something really quick on the internet, for which alone at least to me seems kinda pointless to turn the computer on.

Edited by UCyborg

42 minutes ago, UCyborg said:

There's a thread somewhere on this forum about how many computers people got - https://msfn.org/board/topic/182536-how-many-computers-do-you-own/ - cannot relate, most that posted have shitload of computers. I'd go nuts with that many computers, the only reason I own a laptop besides a desktop is because I needed a portable computer for total 3 months of my life.

I have four laptops and almost never use them.  I've always advised AGAINST them.
People will claim to buy them for "portability" but then they end up on a DESK and NEVER MOVE FROM THAT DESK.
You could have purchased a DESKTOP instead of a laptop and gotten TWICE the computing power at HALF the cost.

Two of those laptops are from former employers, I got to keep them at the end of my employment with those companies.
The third is an Acer Aspire One that I mistakenly thought would be useful for its size and portability.  I've used it twice in the last three years.

The fourth is a garage laptop for tuning turbo cars as a hobby.
The laptop ties in with aftermarket EPROM engine-control-unit and sits in the pasenger seat running diagnostics when doing 0 to 60 in 1.8.

On 12/30/2021 at 2:49 AM, Wunderbar98 said:

If it does i'll become a van dweller and pay cash for everything.

That's the equivalent of throwing money into the toilet and flushing it into the sewer.
It takes a disciplined spender, but I purchase EVERYTHING on "cash-back" credit and it's always paid-in-full each and every month.
That "cash-back" adds up and is "free money".

Happy New Year all!

Hi @Bruninho, me too, 7-Zip v9.20, magic.

Hi @UCyborg. I stopped reading 'how many computers' when someone mentioned something like 40+. Here six are used, probably typical for a modern household that likes computing (office, hobby, graphics, media centre, kitchen/portable). I don't travel much anymore but for me that would be the most beneficial use of a smartphone (maps, restaraunts, gas stations). Before smartphones some were using dedicated map devices, not sure these exist anymore, probably need to subscribe too.

Hi @NotHereToPlayGames. Agreed desktops are usually superior but laptops are, well, portable. In my younger years many sportbikes (Ninja, GSXR) were used for a speed fix. Now that it's apparent we're all suffering in this polluted fishtank my travels and consumption are minimal. Here same, take advantage of cash-back/point systems, pay in full every month. When SHTF though, cash-back won't matter much. If you don't mind, i'll push one of your turbos out of the way and park my van on your driveway for a few years (good movie).
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3722070/

QEX2 v1.10 (full function shareware, donations, Windows 95/98/NT/2000/XP) was recently installed to convert text documents into *.pdb (Palm Database files) for reading articles in my Palm Tungsten (PDFs converted to text via GNU/Linux 'pdftotext' command).
http://qland.de/software/qex2/index.html

Been while since posted into this thread but I finally find proper printer for 98.

I was able to dumpster dive (not that I would ever do it) Brother DCP 7010 printer+scanner. I did some tests and it smells like cigarette (been in smoking person house likely) but prints just fine and scans too. That smell bothers me a bit as I have never smoked but it will fade away eventually and I keep it next to open window.

Drum life is at 15% and it still got toner left. I ordered new aftermarket drum rated 15 000 pages and toner rated at 2500 pages to have backup since they wont dry like inkjet and usually shaking cartridge fixes issue. Also finding replacements for older printers is getting harder and harder to make people consoom more but luckily brother seems use same design on many laser printers.

I plan hook it with USB to my newer XP rig and Printer cable to my Windows 98 PC that got limited USB ports.