Manually Update WideVine on Windows XP with Google Chrome

sdfox7

I have successfully manually updated WideVine on Chrome and XP, but Netflix is not detecting it as so. I replaced the two .dlls from Chrome 49 with those from Chrome Portable 61.0.3163.91 32-bit (direct download).

Chrome detects the updated versions, but Netflix doesn't seem to. It wants me to download them from Google which will give me the old 1.4.8.903 (direct download) instead of the updated 1.4.8.1008 (direct download).

What am I missing here? The method seems like it should be the same for updating Flash on Chrome and XP.

widevine1.jpg

widevine2.jpg

widevine3.jpg

1.4.8.1008 seems to be needing a few post-XP API functions (12 from kernel32.dll, 2 from dbghelp.dll) so what's probably happening is that when Chrome "detects" and lists it, it's just checking that all the plugin files are there and reading the manifest data, but when it's time to actually use the plugin, it won't load on XP.  1.4.8.903 seems fine in this regard. (I don't use Chrome myself, this is just based on static analysis.)

Edited by mixit

@bluebolt

I do remember that.

Every time a new Flash Player is released it is necessary to update the folder's version number, otherwise chrome://plugins and chrome://components detects it as the default 21.0.0.213, the version Chrome 49 shipped with in April 2016.

My response and acknowledgement came right after your post: 

The directory for my flash plugin is the standard Program Files one: 

C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application\49.0.2623.112\PepperFlash

in addition to the Documents and Settings one:

C:\Documents and Settings\Stephen Fox\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\PepperFlash\27.0.0.130

2 hours ago, sdfox7 said:

What am I missing here? The method seems like it should be the same for updating Flash on Chrome and XP.

I have tried it, you have not done anything wrong, it does not work because all WideVine modules over version 1.4.8.903 are no longer working on Windows XP (Incompatible thanks Google!)

By the way, Advanced Chrome includes only version 1.4.8.824. :(

:)

Edited by heinoganda

@heinoganda

I am thinking there must be a way to make it work. Chrome 61 32-bit is compatible with Windows 7 32-bit, which is the reason I chose that version. Windows 7, in my opinion, is not all THAT different from XP. There must be an API that can be changed, modified, or copied from Windows 7. Unfortunately, I am not a programmer, but maybe @Dibya or @~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~ can make it work.

9 hours ago, sdfox7 said:

@heinoganda

I am thinking there must be a way to make it work. Chrome 61 32-bit is compatible with Windows 7 32-bit, which is the reason I chose that version. Windows 7, in my opinion, is not all THAT different from XP. There must be an API that can be changed, modified, or copied from Windows 7. Unfortunately, I am not a programmer, but maybe @Dibya or @~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~ can make it work.

I will give a try by making some api wrappers but i will depend on you for testing . is it all right if i ask you to test ?

• 3 months later...

I wanted to post an update here. Chrome 49 no longer seems to pull a WideVine update from the server.

widevine4.jpg

It is now necessary to use my link and manually extract the files to

C:\Documents and Settings\Stephen Fox\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\WidevineCDM

where you must replace Stephen Fox with your own computer's user name.

I am not sure why it is not pulling the update, the problem may be temporary or permanent.

widevine5.jpg

• 5 months later...