Which Antiviruses are Known for a Fact to be Working on XP SP3 as of 2019?

spacequakes

6 hours ago, winvispixp said:

I just tried that installer in a vm, looks like it works. Didn't login, i just skipped that step

I don’t doubt that the installer works (mina7601 said as much Friday), can you activate? This is the part of Snowshoe’s post that was most concerning:

On 5/14/2023 at 10:52 AM, Snowshoe said:

...it doesn't seem possible to activate. That means you are stuck with manual scanning, no realtime components....Also, the My Kaspersky login seems non-functional.

11 minutes ago, Vistapocalypse said:

can you activate?

as I said, I usually don't use windows xp. On this vista vm there is no ex kernel installed, but I got every update up to vista eos 
yes, it is activated  

1.jpg

2.jpg

Edited by winvispixp

One of the world’s last Norton users running Vista (perhaps even the very last one AFAIK) posted today at another forum, “it can’t seem to find the updates when I run LiveUpdate.” In addition, the Norton webpage describing their “Maintenance Mode for Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7 SP0” appears to have been taken down recently. :(

Edited by Vistapocalypse

25 minutes ago, Vistapocalypse said:

One of the world’s last Norton users running Vista (perhaps even the very last one AFAIK) posted today at another forum, “it can’t seem to find the updates when I run LiveUpdate.” In addition, the Norton webpage describing their “Maintenance Mode for Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7 SP0” appears to have been taken down recently. :(

I actually thought that Norton had stopped any updates years ago. But no problem. I never liked Norton (Symantec or whatever) Antivirus & Co and felt they disenfranchised the user.
So, rest in peace, Norton! mysticmort.gif

1 hour ago, AstroSkipper said:

I actually thought that Norton had stopped any updates years ago. But no problem. I never liked Norton (Symantec or whatever) Antivirus & Co and felt they disenfranchised the user.
So, rest in peace, Norton! mysticmort.gif

and hello gen digital I guess (I still don't like that name)

On 5/19/2023 at 2:48 PM, legacyfan said:

has anyone tried comodo antivirus? I use some version of it before and it worked really well even on vista (has anyone tried this?)

I can at least give XP users an idea of what version of Comodo to search for if they want to attempt it. I was able to install CIS 12.0.0.6810 on Vista x86 in March 2019 but did not keep it for long. WinClient5270’s list shows 12.0.0.6870 as the last version of Comodo Free and CIS for Vista, and Note about Windows XP / Vista at the following link states, “CIS 12.0.0.6882 and above does not support Windows XP or Vista, period” (among other discouraging words). I don’t know of any official download link and actually doubt that SHA-1 definitions are still being provided.

https://help.comodo.com/topic-72-1-772-9552-.html

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/16/2023 at 2:04 PM, Vistapocalypse said:

One of the world’s last Norton users running Vista (perhaps even the very last one AFAIK) posted today at another forum, “it can’t seem to find the updates when I run LiveUpdate.”

That person later posted, “Norton says my Protection updates are ‘current.’” How is that relevant to Windows XP? Because Norton users running Windows XP or Vista were moved to Maintenance Mode at the same time (5 years ago). EOL for Norton versions 22.14 and earlier was announced 3 years ago, but the final Maintenance Mode version 25.15.5 for Windows XP was actually more recent than that. If it is still receiving definition updates, then it is every bit as “supported” as Avast 18.8, Malwarebytes 3.5.1, and another well-known antivirus that I won’t mention by name because the Gestapo would feel compelled to attack me as always. Norton’s support website appears to be in disarray at this time, so the links I have provided all lead to old Norton Community posts. AstroSkipper has already expressed his disinterest in Norton, and my own experience was limited to removal of a “free trial” from my Vista PC long ago. Would I encourage someone running XP to purchase a Norton license in 2023? No - but I feel exactly the same way about Malwarebytes Premium! I would seek out a free solution because definitions are liable to be cut off most any time now anyway. I should mention that Norton already threatened to cut off definitions on February 28, 2021, but later changed its mind. If anyone reading this is actually using Norton on XP (or even Vista, which would be the same version), please speak up!

Edited by Vistapocalypse

4 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

AstroSkipper has already expressed his disinterest in Norton, and my own experience was limited to removal of a “free trial” from my Vista PC long ago.

Right! And well done! Security products from Norton or Symantec or whatever they are called today are rather a disenfranchisement of the user, who is not allowed to decide for himself what should be deleted and what not, because the user is probably considered incapable. nonono.gif :thumbdown

4 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

Would I encourage someone running XP to purchase a Norton license in 2023? No - but I feel exactly the same way about Malwarebytes Premium! I would seek out a free solution because definitions are liable to be cut off most any time now anyway.

I see it a little differently. I wouldn't spend a single cent on Norton Antivirus, as I said before. snegatif.gif But in general, you can certainly buy licences to use them in Windows XP. :yes: A licence of Malwarebytes Premium for example can still be used in a current version for a newer operating system in the event that the virus definitions are discontinued in Windows XP or Vista. Fortunately, I have a lifetime licence and can use it in a more recent version of Malwarebytes Premium at any time. d010.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

@AstroSkipper Your opinions are already well-known to those who care to read. I get the impression that the list on page 1 of your new thread will never include any well-known antivirus that you personally dislike, although it already includes various firewalls etc. that no one else ever heard of - i.e. not so much a Windows XP list as an AstroSkipper list. That’s precisely why I prefer to post in this old thread, where you are not the OP.

Security products from Norton or Symantec or whatever they are called today are rather a disenfranchisement of the user...

Norton is no longer part of Symantec (which is now focused exclusively on profitable enterprise solutions like your erstwhile favorite WiseVector). Instead, Norton is now part of Gen Digital, an international conglomerate that includes the Avast, AVG and Avira brands. (BullGuard has been discontinued, and its license holders were given Norton licenses.) You already used the expression “disenfranchised” just 6 posts earlier. How many years has it been since you actually used Norton - or are you merely repeating someone else’s opinion? I was hoping that we might hear from someone who actually used Norton recently - but of course this thread will probably grow several pages longer before such a rare bird comes flying by. :thumbdown

...in general, you can certainly buy licences to use them in Windows XP. :yes: A licence of Malwarebytes Premium can still be used in a current version for a newer operating system in the event that the virus definitions are discontinued. Fortunately, I have a lifetime licence and can use it in a more recent version of Malwarebytes Premium at any time. d010.gif

I already knew that you have a lifetime license (note correct spelling please). It does not follow that other XP (or Vista) users would be well-advised to purchase a Malwarebytes Premium license in June 2023 or thereafter. I would imagine that a Norton license could be used on a newer OS, but Windows 10 and 11 have a very good antivirus built in - which is precisely why there have been so many mergers in the antivirus industry lately. :dubbio:

On 6/3/2023 at 3:53 AM, Vistapocalypse said:

@AstroSkipper Your opinions are already well-known to those who care to read. I get the impression that the list on page 1 of your new thread will never include any well-known antivirus that you personally dislike, although it already includes various firewalls etc. that no one else ever heard of - i.e. not so much a Windows XP list as an AstroSkipper list. That’s precisely why I prefer to post in this old thread, where you are not the OP.

My internal "AstroSkipper" list is about 70 security related items that I am trying to work through.The only limiting factor is the time available as I already mentioned here: 

On 4/28/2023 at 8:37 PM, AstroSkipper said:

In-depth research in particular is very time-consuming, but necessary. So be patient, especially if the list of programs fills up slowly! sablierr.gif As always: Good things come to those who waitblablaoreille.gif 

And it is of course a Windows XP list and nothing else. And there are and will be definitely well-known security programs that I personally dislike such as Avast. And just because you don't know Look 'n' Stop Firewall, such generalised statements are rather subjective and do not correspond to the facts. There are or were enough Windows XP users who appreciate or appreciated this firewall. So, you are unfortunately wrong. And just a reminder, my thread is about antimalware, firewall, and other security programs for Windows XP and therefore considerably different from this one here. BTW, there is no real objectivity in human action and thought. :no: To think that one is truly free from subjective influences is naïve and doomed to failure. And of course you are free to post wherever you want. smilie_denk_24.gif And the same applies to me, of course. :P

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

On 6/3/2023 at 3:53 AM, Vistapocalypse said:

Norton is no longer part of Symantec (which is now focused exclusively on profitable enterprise solutions like your erstwhile favorite WiseVector). Instead, Norton is now part of Gen Digital, an international conglomerate that includes the Avast, AVG and Avira brands. (BullGuard has been discontinued, and its license holders were given Norton licenses.) You already used the expression “disenfranchised” just 6 posts earlier. How many years has it been since you actually used Norton - or are you merely repeating someone else’s opinion? I was hoping that we might hear from someone who actually used Norton recently - but of course this thread will probably grow several pages longer before such a rare bird comes flying by. :thumbdown

The term "disenfranchisement of the user" cannot be used often enough with regard to Norton. I have used Norton Antivirus several times in the now more than 20 years of Windows XP experience. Again and again, files were deleted and actions were carried out that were not authorised by me. Norton Antivirus is simply the very worst. :thumbdown And by the way, I am someone who always makes up my own mind and articulates it. People who only repeat what others say make me want to puke. vomit2.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper