Which Antiviruses are Known for a Fact to be Working on XP SP3 as of 2019?

spacequakes

1 hour ago, mina7601 said:

Can confirm, this is the error that appears :realmad::

adwcleanerxp.png

<O.T> I keep having this same error but with firefox on 64bit XP (I don't know if this is related somehow)

Edited by legacyfan

1 hour ago, Cixert said:

The last version adwcleaner for XP is 6.047 (2017-05-19) and it does not have a cloud version.
In 7.4.2 before to see the error message in user32.dll I had to download and attach the dwmapi.dll v. 6.0.5384.4 to the installer.

I am looking better and in options there is the local and server option. How can I know which database is being used? Using it offline does not give any connection error.

Edit:
Report after analysis

# AdwCleaner v6.047 - Archivo de registro creado 26/04/2023 en 04:50:38
# Actualizado en 19/05/2017 por Malwarebytes
# Base de datos : 2017-05-19.1 [Local]
# Sistema Operativo : Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3 (X86)

Edited by Cixert

49 minutes ago, Vistapocalypse said:

Do you know that 64-bit versions of Firefox never supported XP or Vista?

<O.T>  32bit firefox installs correctly (even with anything firefox based) its just actually starting it that gives the error but chrome somehow works just fine after install 

Edited by legacyfan

21 hours ago, VistaLover said:

... Well, "Dwm" stands for Desktop Window Manager, and that one is only present on Vista+...

Yes, I know that, I meant to post the image of the error message that appears when running adwcleaner_7.4.2.exe.

Technically speaking, v7.4.2 can be installed on XP SP3, it's just that the Entry Point Not Found errors are preventing adwcleaner_7.4.2.exe from starting on XP, I knew this when I ran adwcleaner_7.4.2.exe on my Vista SP2 VM under Windows XP compatibility mode with no problems.

20 hours ago, Cixert said:

The last version adwcleaner for XP is 6.047 (2017-05-19)
https://download.toolslib.net/download/file/1/851?s=gP7VLih67fmmhqhqfLTpmYQR0FtB2J4p
and it does not have a cloud version.

I already know that, it was already mentioned on this post of the topic.

20 hours ago, Cixert said:

In 7.4.2 before to see the error message in user32.dll I had to download and attach the dwmapi.dll v. 6.0.5384.4 to executable file.

Well, after I put dwmapi.dll, it then complained about missing _except_handler4_common in msvcrt.dll, so I had to install this (use a translator, as this is a link to a Japanese site), and then, the error about missing _except_handler4_common in msvcrt.dll went away, but it then gave me this error I wrote about previously.

2 hours ago, mina7601 said:

Well, after I put dwmapi.dll, it then complained about missing _except_handler4_common in msvcrt.dll, so I had to install this (use a translator, as this is a link to a Japanese site), and then, the error about missing _except_handler4_common in msvcrt.dll went away, but it then gave me this error I wrote about previously.

It worked for me just putting msvcrt.dll 6.0 next to adwcleaner.exe, I didn't have to install anything.

Much to my regret I have decided to install AVG 18.8 to analyze a 1 TiB disk with new content, I prefer not to try Avast 18 since I have happily installed Avast 6.0 with definitions of the year 2020.

After reviewing the AVG options I don't see a default actions option.
After 67% I stop the scan and see that AVG has quarantined 70 files, it has extracted small files from large zip archives (100-1500 GiB) and quarantined them. Most classify them as Malware-gen, Evo Gen, or PUP. It has also qualified as key-generator virus some open source Linux files. AVG takes the law into its own hands and decides to quarantine any key-generators, even if these are not it.

I want these files, so I look for the "restore" option, but since these are files belonging to ZIP archives, it is not able to restore them. I have had to restore these to an alternate path, unzip each zip and re-include the files.

OK, I hate AVG and any new program that annoys and wastes the user's time.

This has qualified files as viruses that no other antivirus detects in virustotal.com, it has even detected that Thorium Browser 109 SSE2_x86, the alternative Chromium version for Windows 7 supported by Google, is a virus.

Even so, I have continued investigating AVG and I see that within the folder analysis there is an option called "Actions" to establish that "no action is carried out" after the analysis.
I do a test with a couple of files with suspected viruses and it works.
So I decide to scan the entire USB hard drive (1 TiB). After 10 hours the analysis ends and "unpleasant surprise" I see that in 122 files with supposed viruses it has decided to send 31 to quarantine, because it feels like it, I don't see any other explanation, these don't seem like dangerous viruses.
So I have to restore these back inside the zip file that extracted them.
I don't remember if older versions of AVG behave this way.
Do you know if Avast 18 also behaves in this way?
Long live Avast 6.
https://msfn.org/board/topic/182157-end-of-avast-5-6-and-7-virus-definition-updates/

Edited by Cixert

54 minutes ago, Cixert said:

Do you know if Avast 18 also behaves in this way?

Yep, unfortunately! Unpredictable and unauthorised actions every now and then! Basically, avast! 2018 is a good protection program. I used avast! Premier in my system for years. But there were several reasons to switch to other programs. You can read more about that in this post:

You should definitely reinstall avast! 2018 at regular intervals if you want to use this program in your system  I personally no longer use avast! 2018. My protection program has been Malwarebytes Premium 3.5.1.2522 for some time, and I am satisfied with it.

Cheers, AstroSkipper firewall.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper

The world is crazy...
1990 Symantec buys Norton.
2016 Avast buys AVG
2017 Norton buys LifeLock.
2019 Broadcom purchases Symantec security division and name but renamed NortonLifeLock.
2019 Accenture buys NortonLifeLock.
2020 NortonLifeLock purchases Avira through Investcorp.
2021 NortonLifeLock buys Avast creating Gen Digital as a merger.
https://www.itpro.com/security/cyber-security/360540/nortonlifelock-and-avast-to-merge-in-8-billion-deal

On 4/2/2023 at 1:20 PM, AstroSkipper said:

In terms of Protegent Antivirus, there is a review on Softpedia: https://www.softpedia.com/get/Antivirus/Protegent-Anti-Virus.shtml 
To be honest, I never heard of this program before, though. But it seems indeed to be XP-compatible and quite well known in India (and probably in other eastern countries).
Anyway! Another option which has to be checked more deeply. g030.gif

I'm trying alls antivirus software to make a short list.
Protegent Antivirus AV Cloud is not currently supported on Windows XP.
When trying to install it unpack 2 programs in c.\PAV
If it is done from XP, only Unistal-Date Care aka Crash Proof is installed, which claims to make copies of the software and is not an antivirus (it is not known what it really does, it does not give info, help, or options).
Danger. It seems that he takes all the information from your hard drive and sends it to his cloud.

Edited by Cixert

20 hours ago, Dave-H said:

Off-topic and argumentative posts removed.
Back on-topic now please.
This thread is for discussing Antivirus issues on Windows XP SP3 only.

why you dont move the informations to other topic , i want to these informations to be for all people which want to search , or the forum should create common section for Windows 2000 SP4 KernelEX and Windows XP (5.0+/5.1) , I no longer have a place in this forum I hate this ridiculous law that has no meaning . @Dave-H @xper if this possible i request you to remove my account defentivly out of existence (not banning), My perceptions have no place in this forum I will continue my life watching I can no longer bear what is happening, I write things that users of the two systems may benefit from, but every time what I say is deleted the health of my heart is the most important thing now to spend the rest of my life in stable health. 

I'm serious, delete my account, just leave my content :yes:

WinWord2000 Grazie a tutti ! :) 

@WinWord2000

If you wish to abandon your account here that is your decision of course, but I don't see your problem with creating your own threads.
As you did before elsewhere, if you want issues discussed relating to a different operating system than the one the original thread is targetting, just start a new thread in the appropriate section and tag those who you wish to involve from the original thread.
I'm sure they will help you, if it's possible to do so, they just don't want the waters muddied in the original thread.
:)

I disagree: Do not close this topic! I would truly hate to see AstroSkipper’s new topic grow at a rate of 20 pages per month like this one did (never mind that there are only a handful of “MW+” products to consider for XP), and frankly I suspect that AstroSkipper would be quite upset if that were to happen. Do not close!