Which Antiviruses are Known for a Fact to be Working on XP SP3 as of 2019?

spacequakes

2 hours ago, D.Draker said:

This is what I can suggest, I hope it's not russian.

I thought this was a decent secondary scanner whenever the primary one is unable to find every trojan bit but I won't download it anymore.

I have recently checked this russian scanner out with Virus Total which reported some trojans built-in, I felt some signs of infected computer but it seems ok now.

https://free.drweb.com/cureit/?lng=en

43 minutes ago, Milkinis said:

I have recently checked this russian scanner out with Virus Total, which reported some trojans built-in,
I felt some signs of infected computer but it seems ok now.

https://free.drweb.com/cureit/?lng=en

... The "free of charge for home use only" download requires you "agree to send statistics related to the scanning process and your PC's software and hardware configuration to Doctor Web", else no free download :angry: ; more here ...

Edited by VistaLover

24 minutes ago, VistaLover said:

The "free of charge for home use only" download requires you "agree to send statistics related to the scanning process and your PC's software and hardware configuration to Doctor Web"

I've pretty much always assumed that all anti-virus scanners do that, behind your back, without telling you, unless you're very good at reading the fine print.

1 hour ago, VistaLover said:

... The "free of charge for home use only" download requires you "agree to send statistics related to the scanning process and your PC's software and hardware configuration to Doctor Web", else no free download :angry: ; more here ...

unlike Hitman Pro for example, this scanner doesn't require internet connection so turn off your network and it's done.

1 hour ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

I've pretty much always assumed that all anti-virus scanners do that, behind your back, without telling you, unless you're very good at reading the fine print.

it's not a true AV with background processes that you can't take away, it's in fact a portable scanner.

1 hour ago, shelby said:

So there is no free antivirus anymore :(

You always pay with your data. Therefore, these commercial antivirus scanner are not really free. But if you don't want that, you should avoid using Microsoft Windows, especially more recent ones. In these OSs, you always pay with your data, even if you have paid for your Windows. You can switch to Linux or take all kinds of countermeasures. BTW, MWAV - eScan Antivirus Toolkit is free of charge and an offline scanner which doesn't need any internet connections. Updating can be done offline, too. All has been described in this post and the subsequent:

12 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

BTW, MWAV - eScan Antivirus Toolkit is free of charge and an offline scanner which doesn't need any internet connections. Updating can be done offline, too.

Is this good such as the wise vector?

13 minutes ago, shelby said:

IIUC, WiseVector StopX is/was a full-fledged Antivirus/Antimalware solution, with real-time (preventative) protection; OTOH, MWAV is a (portable) on-demand scanner, its purpose is: a) check whether your system is pristine/free of infection b) if infection has been found to have taken place prior to the scan, it offers solutions to get rid of it... Of course, since I haven't used either :whistle:, the definitive answer will be coming from AstroSkipper :) ...

1 hour ago, shelby said:

MWAV - eScan Antivirus Toolkit is an antivirus/antimalware offline scanner for a manual checking of the computer and cleaning if necessary. WiseVector StopX is an AI based antivirus program with a background guard, but its development has stopped, unfortunately So they are completely different and not easy to compare. You will find only a few tests of both tools in the internet. They are not as well known as the AV programs produced by big antivirus manufacturers. MWAV is a good tool, easy to handle and is updated on a regular base. I do trust it. For more information, follow this link to its English homepage:
https://www.escanav.com/en/mwav-tools/download-free-antivirus-toolkit.asp
If you are looking for an antivirus program with real-time protection under Windows XP, you can try Panda Dome. I wrote about this program in previous posts. In my system, I use both, Panda Dome and MWAV. A good combination, in my opinion. :thumbup

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

I did a scan of my system partition by MWAV - eScan Antivirus Toolkit. Surprisingly, the tool found a strange file that other AV programs did not notice. ssupercool2.gif In any case, it is always a wise decision to use different scan tools. The one perfect tool will never exist. :no: But we have to be glad that there are still a few tools running under Windows XP at all. :)

I've used Panda Dome for a couple years now, but recently after a clean reinstall of XP SP3(with .NET 4 ofc), both the online and offline installers fail within seconds. Is there some kind of error log I can check? It's frustrating.

19 minutes ago, Ryder252 said:

I've used Panda Dome for a couple years now, but recently after a clean reinstall of XP SP3(with .NET 4 ofc), both the online and offline installers fail within seconds. Is there some kind of error log I can check? It's frustrating.

Panda Dome installs fine in Windows XP Professional SP3. No problems here. My system is fully updated including all POSReady updates.
These are the system requirements for installing Panda Dome:

What are the system requirements of Panda Dome for Windows, Mac, Android or iOS?

Products

Panda Dome

Find below the system requirements for Panda Dome for all supported platforms:

Below you can find the minimum requirements of our Panda Dome products.

Windows
Operating system:

Windows 10 (32/64-bits)

Windows 8/8.1 (32/64-bits)

Windows 7 (32/64-bits)

Windows Vista (32/64-bits)

Windows XP 32-bits (SP3 or later)

Processor: Pentium 300 MHz or faster.

RAM: 256 MB.

Hard disk: 240 MB free space.

Browser: MS Internet Explorer 6.0 or later.

NOTE: Panda VPN requires Windows 7 or later and .NET Framework 4.6 or later.

Does your CPU support the SSE2 instruction set? Running an installation program that then immediately closes again is something I know well from systems whose CPU does not support SSE2, although the program needs this feature.

4 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

Panda Dome installs fine in Windows XP Professional SP3. No problems here. My system is fully updated including all POSReady updates.
These are the system requirements for installing Panda Dome:

Does your CPU support the SSE2 instruction set? Running an installation program that then immediately closes again is something I know well from systems whose CPU does not support SSE2, although the program needs this feature.

Well my cpu is a core 2 quad so it supports up to SSE4.1, and the installer opens fine. The problem arises whenever the actual installation process begins - here's a picture of the generic error I receive every time(it should be noted that it fails consistently at the "Updating the system..." portion. Just a minute ago, it somehow managed to get all the way to "Finishing the installation" and the progress bar stopped right at the end before failing yet again.

Imagepipe_5.jpg