Which Antiviruses are Known for a Fact to be Working on XP SP3 as of 2019?

spacequakes

2 hours ago, FranceBB said:

Well, we can speculate a bit.

Avast 4.8 was the latest compatible version for Windows98SE and was released in 2008.

The definition updates went on 'till 2017, so this gives us 9 years of definition updates.

Avast 18.8 was the latest compatible version for Windows XP and was released in 2018.

Should it follow the same pattern as 98SE, we should get definition updates 'till 2027 at least.

I do not share your optimism. In order to maintain legacy versions that supported XP, antivirus vendors such as Avast/AVG/Norton (now a single corporation), Kaspersky, and  Malwarebytes must continue issuing definitions signed with SHA-1, which Microsoft has proclaimed to be insecure for several years. Definitions for Avast 8 and earlier were cut off in April 2020, i.e. no more Windows 2000.

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=233272.0

3 hours ago, FranceBB said:

Then in December 2021 I caught COVID, had a miserable time despite being triple jabbed

Vaccines leave something to be desired, but we’re glad you survived. :)

3 hours ago, FranceBB said:

Then in December 2021 I caught COVID, had a miserable time despite being triple jabbed, spent Christmas and New Year alone etc.

I'm sorry to hear that you got jinxed. It's painful and I understand that feeling very well.

13 minutes ago, mina7601 said:

I'm sorry to hear that you got jinxed. It's painful and I understand that feeling very well.

4 hours ago, FranceBB said:

Well, we can speculate a bit.

Avast 4.8 was the latest compatible version for Windows98SE and was released in 2008.

The definition updates went on 'till 2017, so this gives us 9 years of definition updates.

Avast 18.8 was the latest compatible version for Windows XP and was released in 2018.

Should it follow the same pattern as 98SE, we should get definition updates 'till 2027 at least.

Yeah it's been tough for a number of reasons one of which was COVID. I was one of the people you heard about on TV that was hospitalized after taking the first dose of Oxford Astra Zeneca. The 2nd dose went fine (still Oxford Astra Zeneca) after taking stuff to avoid blood clots and the 3rd one (Pfizer Booster) also was fine. Then in December 2021 I caught COVID, had a miserable time despite being triple jabbed, spent Christmas and New Year alone etc.

I don't wanna talk too much about all this, but yeah, pretty tough time... :( 

there been a lot of bad stuff happening over here because of that shot so it's good you made it thru 

My dad passed away about a year ago at the age of 82 - all COPD/asthma related.

He was advised to *NOT* get any of the Covid shots.

He ended up getting Covid *SIX TIMES* - none of them hospitalized him, none even constrained him to a bed, none even gave him digestive distress.

edit - OT, of course...

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames

Some people infected with the coronavirus have mild COVID-19 illness, and others have no symptoms at all. In some cases, however, COVID-19 can lead to respiratory failure, lasting lung and heart muscle damage, nervous system problems, kidney failure or death.

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus

I guess it depends on how strong your body is to withstand the infection as people used to die from a common cold (bacteria or virus) but the antibiotic overuse was a contributing factor to some of the bacteria as the body needs to fight off and win over the virus (via good bacteria) before it can cause damage. Why they always say to take meds to stop fever when this is the body's natural oven to cook out the infection? I don't know, so you sweat it out, but I don't know, I guess nobody really know why some people die and most survive and some suffer from long-term post issues.

Stay strong and try to use common sense if you aren't sick and stop touching your face so much and eyes and nose. Masks are not the cure but if everybody is ill around you are your are ill best to stay home and get in the shower and try to use b vitamins and vit c and your body will use what it needs and pee out the rest - while - Vit D and E is only fat soluble. Best get your levels checked by a doctor but need to ask them before taking over-the-counter meds.  

Edited by XPerceniol

5 minutes ago, XPerceniol said:

Some people infected with the coronavirus have mild COVID-19 illness, and others have no symptoms at all. In some cases, however, COVID-19 can lead to respiratory failure, lasting lung and heart muscle damage, nervous system problems, kidney failure or death.

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus

I guess it depends on how strong your body is to withstand the infection as people used to die from a common cold (bacteria or virus) but the antibiotic overuse was a contributing factor to some of the bacteria as the body needs to fight off and win over the virus (via good bacteria) before it can cause damage. Why they always say to take meds to stop fever when this is the body's natural oven to cook out the infection? I don't know, so you sweat it out, but I don't know, I guess nobody really know why some people die and most survive and some suffer from long-term post issues.

Stay strong and try to use common sense if you aren't sick and stop touching your face so much and eyes and nose. Masks are not the cure but if everybody is ill around you are your are ill best to stay home and get in the shower and try to use b vitamins and vit c and your body will use what it needs and pee out the rest - while - Vit D and E is only fat soluble. Best get your levels checked by a doctor but need to ask them before taking over-the-counter meds.  

Esp is you don't get much natural sun as like myself I stay inside too much and don't get sun and I take 400 of Vit D and small E in the multi. I also take aspirin per my cardiologist. I also am on blood pressure meds and try to avoid anything that treats a stuffy nose for only 1 or 2 days MAX and stop and try to use hot shower and clean the shower hose nozzle because at night turns to mold spores in the dark bathroom. I hope that made some sense - I'm not doctor I just play one on TV.

Edited by XPerceniol

On 7/8/2019 at 6:13 PM, 3dreal said:

there is a workaround with a hotfix. in the forum is a thread of mine. Non-SSE2-Hotfix see attached file from forum over there. link to hotfix can be found there. its Malwarebytes_2.1.8_SSE2_Hotfix.zip
was very surprised about the speed of response.
1.74 kB · 3 downloads

Does anyone still have a copy of this hotfix? The links in their forums to their BOX site are all broken as are any of the direct downloads in the forum threads I could find there. If not I guess I'll track down 2.1.6 which was the last version that did not need the patch. I know that MBAM 2 is now out of support so doesn't get updates but was looking for a quick solution for doing offline scans for mostly period malware anyways on a Athlon XP machine (SSE1 only). From what I was seeing the patch is mostly in regards to a Qt5 library? Though I'm trying to find that original post again that mentioned that

10 hours ago, Chartreuse said:
On 7/8/2019 at 6:13 PM, 3dreal said:

there is a workaround with a hotfix. in the forum is a thread of mine. Non-SSE2-Hotfix see attached file from forum over there. link to hotfix can be found there. its Malwarebytes_2.1.8_SSE2_Hotfix.zip
was very surprised about the speed of response.
1.74 kB · 3 downloads

Does anyone still have a copy of this hotfix? The links in their forums to their BOX site are all broken as are any of the direct downloads in the forum threads I could find there. If not I guess I'll track down 2.1.6 which was the last version that did not need the patch. I know that MBAM 2 is now out of support so doesn't get updates but was looking for a quick solution for doing offline scans for mostly period malware anyways on a Athlon XP machine (SSE1 only). From what I was seeing the patch is mostly in regards to a Qt5 library? Though I'm trying to find that original post again that mentioned that

Hi @Chartreuse! I have a copy of the file Malwarebytes_2.1.8_SSE2_Hotfix.zip in my personal archive. :) Still interested? :dubbio:

Edited by AstroSkipper

16 hours ago, Chartreuse said:

...I know that MBAM 2 is now out of support so doesn't get updates but was looking for a quick solution for doing offline scans for mostly period malware anyways on a Athlon XP machine (SSE1 only)...

With no definition updates, MBAM 2 does not seem like a great idea anymore. ☹️ Maybe try ESET SysRescue Live for occasional scanning. It still claims to support XP and even Windows 2000, and I can’t find any mention of an SSE2 requirement (but I never used it on an SSE1-only system myself). Of course other antivirus vendors make similar bootable rescue disks that you could look into.

I’m a big believer in real-time protection myself, and there are still options for SSE1-only systems. The last version of Avast that did not require SSE2 was reportedly 10.4, which should still receive definitions AFAIK (although versions 8 and earlier have been cut off). Kaspersky 18 also has no SSE2 requirement according to the article linked below. (Disclaimer: I am an American who never used Kaspersky and does not admire Vladimir Putin, but MSFN is an international forum and some members may not care what the US government thinks of Kaspersky.)

https://support.kaspersky.com/us/common/compatibility/15479

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

@AstroSkipper Does WiseVector StopX require SSE2?

Hello @Vistapocalypse! WiseVector StopX does not provide more details about the hardware requirements, neither in the program documentation nor in the FAQ on their homepage. I own additionally an old computer with an Athlon XP 3200+ CPU which comes with the SSE instruction set, but lacks of the SSE2 feature. I will test WiseVector StopX on this computer the next days, when time is available, of course. ordipoing.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper

• 3 weeks later...

WiseVector StopX has stopped updating (streaming and program updates) and seems to be abandoned as a personal version (for free). Here is the link to a post from WiseVector in the thread "WiseVector Free AI Driven Security" on MalwareTips: https://malwaretips.com/threads/wisevector-free-ai-driven-security.87965/post-1024875 :( 
I think that's it for WiseVector StopX. Anyway! A bit hope is still there, and we all know hope dies last. albert.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper