Which Antiviruses are Known for a Fact to be Working on XP SP3 as of 2019?

spacequakes

Never use Avast, are you looking for the big problem?..

Don't use any antivirus, please...this will extend the responsiveness of your machine... and waste your time... rather don't go to the bad websites...

Edited by msfntor
responsiveness

ive been using avast because my family pays for the premium version every year and it would be a waste of money to not use it (so I'm stuck with it until the payments stop)

Edited by legacyfan

2 hours ago, msfntor said:

Don't use any antivirus, please...this will extend the responsiveness of your machine... and waste your time... rather don't go to the bad websites...

I don't use antiviruses nowadays anyways, I just use common sense when browsing the Internet.

2 hours ago, mina7601 said:

I don't use antiviruses nowadays anyways, I just use common sense when browsing the Internet.

Did you disable WD? Can is be completely removed from Win11?

I don't use "real-time" but do use "on-demand" scans but they never come up with anything because I don't ever visit strange sites anymore.

Edited by XPerceniol

1 hour ago, XPerceniol said:

Did you disable WD?

No, but all my past attempts in disabling it permanently were in failure, because it turns on back everytime I tried to turn it off.

1 hour ago, XPerceniol said:

Can is be completely removed from Win11?

Removed? No. But, disabled? Yes. A Google search like "windows defender disable windows 11" gave a lot of results.

On 1/10/2023 at 5:23 PM, legacyfan said:

ive been using avast because my family pays for the premium version every year and it would be a waste of money to not use it (so I'm stuck with it until the payments stop)

I've been with Avast for 11 years now and I'll never stop, probably. I renew the Premier version every year and it comes nicely 'cause I can use it on all my devices, including my Android phone and it has a VPN which I also use on a daily basis. :) 

1 hour ago, FranceBB said:

I've been with Avast for 11 years now and I'll never stop, probably. I renew the Premier version every year and it comes nicely 'cause I can use it on all my devices, including my Android phone and it has a VPN which I also use on a daily basis. :) 

welcome back francebb! and avast has served me pretty well over the past 22 years and I don't plan to stop using it unless something bad happens

Edited by legacyfan

36 minutes ago, legacyfan said:

avast has served me pretty well over the past 20 years and I don't plan to stop using it unless something bad happens

Your profile suggests you are almost 23 years old, so I wonder what you were using before Avast? :blink: Avast Free 18.8 was the last thing I used on Vista, but I wasn’t really crazy about it.  I wonder how much longer definitions will be provided for the legacy version.

1 hour ago, FranceBB said:

ehehehe I never really left, I was mostly lurking around, but I didn't have much time to reply.

It's been a bit of a tough period.

Sorry for being off-topic, but glad to see you back, FranceBB. I am sorry you had tough time, though. I hope all is well with you.

4 hours ago, legacyfan said:

I've never used anything else accept avast (it's also based in my family's native country the czech republic) 

I seem to recall that you tried both Panda and Security Essentials on Vista. I have no idea what OS you are currently using (your profile shows Windows 10), but if you have been able to use Avast on Vista with the extended kernel, then please post details about that in the appropriate thread.

2 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

I seem to recall that you tried both Panda and Security Essentials on Vista. I have no idea what OS you are currently using (your profile shows Windows 10), but if you have been able to use Avast on Vista with the extended kernel, then please post details about that in the appropriate thread.

I'm on windows 10 now (I bought a new desktop pc)

16 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

I wonder how much longer definitions will be provided for the legacy version.

Well, we can speculate a bit.

Avast 4.8 was the latest compatible version for Windows98SE and was released in 2008.

The definition updates went on 'till 2017, so this gives us 9 years of definition updates.

Avast 18.8 was the latest compatible version for Windows XP and was released in 2018.

Should it follow the same pattern as 98SE, we should get definition updates 'till 2027 at least.

15 hours ago, mina7601 said:

Sorry for being off-topic, but glad to see you back, FranceBB. I am sorry you had tough time, though. I hope all is well with you.

Yeah it's been tough for a number of reasons one of which was COVID. I was one of the people you heard about on TV that was hospitalized after taking the first dose of Oxford Astra Zeneca. The 2nd dose went fine (still Oxford Astra Zeneca) after taking stuff to avoid blood clots and the 3rd one (Pfizer Booster) also was fine. Then in December 2021 I caught COVID, had a miserable time despite being triple jabbed, spent Christmas and New Year alone etc.

I don't wanna talk too much about all this, but yeah, pretty tough time... :( 

Edited by FranceBB