Which Antiviruses are Known for a Fact to be Working on XP SP3 as of 2019?

spacequakes

So much for Avast:

avast.thumb.png.09b67cf4a8e31de61f49ced5a156b761.png

Was also using NOD32 until yesterday on Windows XP...  I didn't like Panda Dome so I gave Avast a shot...  It crashed while I was watching Youtube a few minutes ago.

Anyone have any other ideas besides Chinesium antivirus?

I did try Kaspersky Enpoint Security Client version 10.2.6.3733 (SP1 MR4) which is the last version for XP, as was recommended on the previous page...  But I couldn't find anything about the registry hack mentioned necessary to get database updates.  By default, I had definitions from 2017 when everything was all said and done.

Kaspersky would be nice to have.

Edited by mockingbird

That's exactly the error message I got when I tried to use Avast some years ago.
Although the version I was using was supposed to work on XP, I never succeeded in getting it to work, despite a lot of help from the Avast technical support people.
We just eventually gave up as we couldn't find the answer, and I ended up using Malwarebytes Premium, which I'm still using to this day.
POSReady updates, I hear you cry? Well perhaps, but we'll never now know!
:)

On 10/2/2022 at 11:22 PM, beansmuggler said:

I've found that a combo of WiseVector StopX and COMODO Firewall are overkill enough to feel safe on my end. Granted, the best antivirus is common sense, but I just like to use them to keep my bases covered. I just stick with StopX alone on XP tho, since COMODO Firewall, while very strong, couldn't update and stepped on my toes all the time. Either way, you'll be facing a very warning-heavy experience, which is fine for me because it means it'll be easier to know when something unusual is happening.

(Also, I'm aware that StopX comes from China, but this doesn't bother me all that much)

Ahhhhh my dude! I was shocked to see someone mention 'COMODO Firewall' as this is what i hinted before where i said i had a firewall that i basically have to 'allow' any program that wants to launch another process/program etc' if something tries to open something else/etc'

Been using COMODO Firewall Pro + NOD32 for so long..... never heard of WiseVector StopX tho, so ill look it up seeing you have a fine taste in firewalls kind sir. thanks for letting me know about it!

9 hours ago, Dave-H said:

That's exactly the error message I got when I tried to use Avast some years ago.
Although the version I was using was supposed to work on XP, I never succeeded in getting it to work, despite a lot of help from the Avast technical support people.
We just eventually gave up as we couldn't find the answer, and I ended up using Malwarebytes Premium, which I'm still using to this day.
POSReady updates, I hear you cry? Well perhaps, but we'll never now know!
:)

Thanks for the tip!  I hadn't considered Malwarebytes, and Premium is in fact also a resident Antivirus as well!

The price is a little steep, but I'll probably pay for it if I like it.  Cheers :thumbup

22 hours ago, mockingbird said:

So much for Avast:

avast.thumb.png.09b67cf4a8e31de61f49ced5a156b761.png

Was also using NOD32 until yesterday on Windows XP...  I didn't like Panda Dome so I gave Avast a shot...  It crashed while I was watching Youtube a few minutes ago.

17 hours ago, Dave-H said:

We just eventually gave up as we couldn't find the answer, ...

Very strange! I use avast! Premier Edition for more than 10 years and never observed such problems. No issues with YouTube, no errors in loading the Avast user interface, i.e. the Avast service. Maybe, your system lacks of some components which Avast needs to run properly. Or, Avast became faulty while installing, caused by another program which was interfering the installation. Did you use an offline installer? As far as I can remember (it's more than 10 years ago!), I had difficulties using the online installer. And, you have to configure Avast properly and carefully after installation. Anyway, I can confirm that Avast has been running perfectly under Windows XP for more than 10 years now. I disabled its firewall component to get it running in combination with Windows 10 Firewall Control Plus XP, my favourite firewall for Windows XP. The latest and last version in my system is avast! Premier Edition 18.8.4084.409 (18.8.2356.0). And if you had already installed Avast in the past, you should first use the avast! Uninstall Utility 18.8.4084.0, whose executable is avastclear.exe, in Safe Mode, of course, to get rid of all remnants of previous installations.

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper

21 hours ago, Dave-H said:

and I ended up using Malwarebytes Premium, which I'm still using to this day.

11 hours ago, mockingbird said:

Thanks for the tip!  I hadn't considered Malwarebytes, and Premium is in fact also a resident Antivirus as well!

The price is a little steep, but I'll probably pay for it if I like it.  Cheers :thumbup

I've got a licence of Malwarebytes for nearly 11 years. I loved Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.75 as an on-demand scanner. My licence is also valid for Malwarebytes Premium 3.5.1.2522, the last version for Windows XP. Unfortunately, I couldn't get this version running at all. It crashed and had problems in loading its components. This was a known issue and also discussed in Malwarebytes Forum. In the end, their experts couldn't provide a solution to fix this issue, though. I had several trials installing Malwarebytes Premium 3.5.1.2522 on different Windows XP partitions without any real success. At that time, I was very disappointed with Malwarebytes which always claims to be compatible with all programs. Anyway, I gave up on this version. Therefore, I use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.2.1.1043, which works properly on Windows XP, but only as an on-demand scanner. In my opinion, Malwarebytes is not a full replacement for an AV program as, for example, Avast. But, as an on-demand scanner, to get a second opinion, it's useful although the old Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.75, which is no longer supported, was less bloated and much faster.

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

K7 Computing , very old Indian Cyber security company still actively support XP

https://www.k7computing.com/us/home-users/total-security

Try out the 30 days trial ,

World Lightest Antivirus and Detection quite good

https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/windows-10/june-2022/k7-computing-total-security-16.0-221309/

AVTest founds detection to  be world class and given Top Product batch.

One problem it uses large neural network , so false positive is bit high [ Much better than ESET]

UI is very simple.

I used to use Bit-defender on XP but when support ran out i moved to K7 and super happy.

Next time even my Windows 10 partition will get K7.

They even proud of supporting legacy platform https://blog.k7computing.com/ransomware-protection-for-legacy-devices-in-healthcare/

In India , industry and hospital uses XP in large number due to Legacy hardware like CNC and Xray machine.

Edited by Dibya

7 minutes ago, K-BOX2022 said:

After install K7 Ultimate Security cant enable Intrusion Detection. What is the problem?

Firstly, this is a question you should ask the support team at K7 Computing. Actually, it is the wrong place here. Secondly, I assume there are remnants of previous security programs in your system which have to be removed first. I had such problems more often with other AV programmes a long time ago. :)

9 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

Firstly, this is a question you should ask the support team at K7 Computing. Actually, it is the wrong place here. Secondly, I assume there are remnants of previous security programs in your system which have to be removed first. I had such problems more often with other AV programmes a long time ago. :)

I have reinstalled the system more than a dozen times and continue to do the same. I tried on XP X64 and X86 and no difference.

18 minutes ago, K-BOX2022 said:

I have reinstalled the system more than a dozen times and continue to do the same. I tried on XP X64 and X86 and no difference.

As I already mentioned, this is a question you should ask the support team at K7 Computing. I think you won't find a solution here. Only a very few people presumably use this security software. And if there are no remnants of previous security programs in your system, then your installation of Windows XP lacks of necessary components. Check the system requirements of K7 Ultimate Security! Or contact the support of K7 Computing directly! :yes:

PS: And if nothing helps, then you should forget about this peace of software.

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

2 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

As I already mentioned, this is a question you should ask the support team at K7 Computing. I think you won't find a solution here. Only a very few people presumably use this security software. And if there are no remnants of previous security programs in your system, then your installation of Windows XP lacks of necessary components. Check the system requirements of K7 Ultimate Security! Or contact the support of K7 Computing directly! :yes:

And you know any antivirus that still works on XP besides Avast,K7, Malwarebytes? I care about the lowest requirements

15 hours ago, K-BOX2022 said:

After install K7 Ultimate Security cant enable Intrusion Detection. What is the problem?

I have to check it , wait

can u show me where it is located?

Edited by Dibya