Which Antiviruses are Known for a Fact to be Working on XP SP3 as of 2019?

spacequakes

Unfortunately starting from TODAY (a few hours ago to be exact) it is no longer possible to update ESET NOD32 Antivirus on xp :'( they gave an 'End of life' to all versions up to 9 included, which coincidentally is the latest working version on XP.

I've been using (and still am) NOD32 for so long now... in the past i even used version 5 or 6 till that one End of life'd/stopped updating... and today unfortunately 9 did :( was a good run and silly of them to do it to begin with honestly... this afternoon i still updated up to:

26000     Sep-28-2022, 10:38 CEST (UTC/GMT +02:00)

which according to their website (https://www.virusradar.com/en/update/info/) has 2 more already after that... but i REALLY doubt that not having updates can really harm you with an 'almost' up to date one like 26000 for even years to come.. specially if you also have a FW installed that regulates what processes/programs get permission to run what else (like literally not a single program/file can execute another or do anything major without me approving it to before it does it)

But yeah, thought ill note it down and give the update that ESET NOD32 shat the bed and knowingly that their version 9 is the latest one working on xp, added it along with the previous ones of their 'End of life' ones. they could have easily kept it updating for a few years without much hassle... oh well.

On 9/28/2022 at 6:30 PM, Leifman said:

Unfortunately starting from TODAY (a few hours ago to be exact) it is no longer possible to update ESET NOD32 Antivirus on xp :'( they gave an 'End of life' to all versions up to 9 included, which coincidentally is the latest working version on XP.

I've been using (and still am) NOD32 for so long now... in the past i even used version 5 or 6 till that one End of life'd/stopped updating... and today unfortunately 9 did :( was a good run and silly of them to do it to begin with honestly... this afternoon i still updated up to:

26000     Sep-28-2022, 10:38 CEST (UTC/GMT +02:00)

which according to their website (https://www.virusradar.com/en/update/info/) has 2 more already after that... but i REALLY doubt that not having updates can really harm you with an 'almost' up to date one like 26000 for even years to come.. specially if you also have a FW installed that regulates what processes/programs get permission to run what else (like literally not a single program/file can execute another or do anything major without me approving it to before it does it)

But yeah, thought ill note it down and give the update that ESET NOD32 shat the bed and knowingly that their version 9 is the latest one working on xp, added it along with the previous ones of their 'End of life' ones. they could have easily kept it updating for a few years without much hassle... oh well.

Unfortunately, I have to confirm your observation. ESET NOD32 Antivirus 9 can't update its virus definitions anymore. And, that's definitely the end for ESET on my computers. Due to this fact, I uninstalled it completely which is not as easy as it is for other AVs. As expected, it was impossible to remove ESET NOD32 Antivirus 9 via its uninstaller under the System Panel -> Software. Same problem if applying its entry in the Start Menu. Such experiences, I had made a lot with ESET in the past. Here are the steps how to uninstall ESET NOD32 Antivirus 9 completely in Windows XP:

1. Download ESETUninstaller 7.0.7.0 (legacy version): https://help.eset.com/eset_tools/ESETUninstaller_7.0.7.0.exe link.gif
  2. Restart your computer in Safe Mode.
  3. Execute ESETUninstaller_7.0.7.0.exe.
  4. Read carefully the instructions and options in the cmd window.
  5. When finished, restart your computer.

You can only uninstall ESET NOD32 Antivirus 9 in Safe Mode.
Here is a link with a more detailed instruction for different Windows versions provided by ESET: https://support.eset.com/en/kb2289-uninstall-eset-manually-using-the-eset-uninstaller-tool link.gif
Rest in peace, ESET! cursor.gif

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

3 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

Unfortunately, I have to confirm your observation. ESET NOD32 Antivirus 9 can't update its virus definitions anymore. And, that's definitely the end for ESET on my computers. Due to this fact, I uninstalled it completely which is not as easy as it is for other AVs. As expected, it was impossible to remove ESET NOD32 Antivirus 9 via its uninstaller under the System Panel -> Software. Same problem if applying its entry in the Start Menu. Such experiences, I had made a lot with ESET in the past. Here are the steps how to uninstall ESET NOD32 Antivirus 9 completely in Windows XP:

1. Download ESETUninstaller 7.0.7.0 (legacy version): https://help.eset.com/eset_tools/ESETUninstaller_7.0.7.0.exe link.gif
  2. Restart your computer in Safe Mode.
  3. Execute ESETUninstaller_7.0.7.0.exe.
  4. Read carefully the instructions and options in the cmd window.
  5. When finished, restart your computer.

You can only uninstall ESET NOD32 Antivirus 9 in Safe Mode.
Here is a link with a more detailed instruction for different Windows versions provided by ESET: https://support.eset.com/en/kb2289-uninstall-eset-manually-using-the-eset-uninstaller-tool link.gif
Rest in peace, ESET! cursor.gif

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

mhm, Interesting... i've never had any issues with uninstalling anything before, but i'll trust you on it not being as 'easy' apparently.... so ill make sure to grab the uninstaller and follow those steps if when i decided to uninstall it. if it really doesn't 'stick' after i simply remove it as i do all program from the 'Add and remove programs' default way.

My plan wasn't to do anything so far anyways as i stated, after all 'updated virus difinitions' of 28.09.2022 are pretty damn good for quite a while more, even for years if u know what you're doing in my eyes. but i might in a few months give that 'Avast antivirus' a try so to say, tho i honestly even thought to first install it without removing NOD32 and see if it updates and i like the UI/etc' and only then uninstall/get rid of NOD32 for good. if anything my 'officially license' (which i can literally do nothing with now lol should have been till early December) so i figured at the very least i won't even try Avast till then :D

Edited by Leifman

17 hours ago, Leifman said:

mhm, Interesting... i've never had any issues with uninstalling anything before, but i'll trust you on it not being as 'easy' apparently.... so ill make sure to grab the uninstaller and follow those steps if when i decided to uninstall it. if it really doesn't 'stick' after i simply remove it as i do all program from the 'Add and remove programs' default way.

My plan wasn't to do anything so far anyways as i stated, after all 'updated virus difinitions' of 28.09.2022 are pretty damn good for quite a while more, even for years if u know what you're doing in my eyes. but i might in a few months give that 'Avast antivirus' a try so to say, tho i honestly even thought to first install it without removing NOD32 and see if it updates and i like the UI/etc' and only then uninstall/get rid of NOD32 for good. if anything my 'officially license' (which i can literally do nothing with now lol should have been till early December) so i figured at the very least i won't even try Avast till then :D

I have two partitions with Windows XP Professional SP3 installed, both fully updated, the first with and the second without all POSReady updates. On the first one, I use Avast Premier for at least 10 years and it's simply great although a bit too bloated. The Avast Free Edition lacked of some important features and therefore, I chose the Avast Premier Edition. On the second XP partition, I used ESET NOD32 Antivirus as an alternative for a long time. It was satisfactory, too, but from the very first it had the problem of not being able to be uninstalled properly. Now, I've uninstalled it and going to try a new alternative. In any case, an AV based on virus definitions, which has to be downloaded by the program, must be updated regularly. If not, it is useless for me and reached its end of "life". :yes:

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper

1 hour ago, Vistapocalypse said:

Sorry to hear about ESET. Avast ended support for XP and Vista 4 years ago, but version 18.8 still receives definition updates. For more information and official download links:

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=220639.0

No problem! My Avast Premier is still working, and that's much more important. :) It was amazing how long ESET kept updating the virus database. I thought they would stop updating much earlier. :yes:

6 hours ago, George King said:

Interesting. Our company still use Eset v9 on Windows 10 and it receive updates.

Maybe, it depends on the OS which is used. :dubbio:But, I don't think so. It is more likely that ESET abandoned updating virus databases on all editions up to and including version 9. That's the way ESET usually behaves. :yes:

Edited by AstroSkipper

Side note, Avast has seemingly been bought by NortonLifeLock, after more than one year long procedure:

https://investor.nortonlifelock.com/news/news-details/2022/NortonLifeLock-Completes-Merger-with-Avast/default.aspx

they plan to change name:

the Combined Company will soon announce a new name that reflects the forward-thinking vision and scale of its comprehensive Cyber Safety platform and trust-based solutions for consumers around the world.

and probably (IMHO) technology from Norton will be poured over (ex-)Avast, thus (stiil IMHO) ruining the products for good.

I think this can be good news for those people that have too d@mn fast computers and couldn't find an easy solution to slow them down. ;)

jaclaz

2 hours ago, jaclaz said:

Avast has seemingly been bought by NortonLifeLock,
(redacted)
and probably (IMHO) technology from Norton will be poured over (ex-)Avast, thus (still IMHO) ruining the products for good.

... Some years ago, Avast themselves had acquired Piriform and their most popular product, CCleaner; WinXP (and Vista) are now left with an EoS CCLeaner version (5.64.7577), but the current releases (targeting Win7+) have been extremely bloated by Avast, by including a bucket load of unwanted cr*pware (and telemetry) :realmad: ... I get the sense Norton will continue in the same streak :angry: ...

WinXP (and Vista) is currently being supported by an EoS Avast version (v18.8) so, unless Norton start "pouring" stuff via the definitions update mechanism, users of that should be "safe" ;) ; unless, God forbid, Norton make a "managerial change of policy" and stop servicing that v18.8 with def-updates :dubbio:...

4 hours ago, jaclaz said:

Side note, Avast has seemingly been bought by NortonLifeLock, after more than one year long procedure:

https://investor.nortonlifelock.com/news/news-details/2022/NortonLifeLock-Completes-Merger-with-Avast/default.aspx

they plan to change name:

and probably (IMHO) technology from Norton will be poured over (ex-)Avast, thus (stiil IMHO) ruining the products for good.

I think this can be good news for those people that have too d@mn fast computers and couldn't find an easy solution to slow them down. ;)

jaclaz

2 hours ago, VistaLover said:

WinXP (and Vista) is currently being supported by an EoS Avast version (v18.8) so, unless Norton start "pouring" stuff via the definitions update mechanism, users of that should be "safe" ;) ; unless, God forbid, Norton make a "managerial change of policy" and stop servicing that v18.8 with def-updates :dubbio:...

If Avast has been really swallowed up by Norton, then this means the soon end of any support for old Avast products. Norton was quite fast out of the AV business when official support of Windows XP was abandoned by Microsoft, so I fear bad things for the XP fan community. :(  Besides, I never liked Norton AV products for Windows XP:no:

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

I've found that a combo of WiseVector StopX and COMODO Firewall are overkill enough to feel safe on my end. Granted, the best antivirus is common sense, but I just like to use them to keep my bases covered. I just stick with StopX alone on XP tho, since COMODO Firewall, while very strong, couldn't update and stepped on my toes all the time. Either way, you'll be facing a very warning-heavy experience, which is fine for me because it means it'll be easier to know when something unusual is happening.

(Also, I'm aware that StopX comes from China, but this doesn't bother me all that much)

In my search for a replacement for ESET NOD32 Antivirus on my second XP partition, I also came across WiseVector StopX 3.07. Although I have considerable reservations about Chinese software in principle, I did some research on the Internet. The result of my research was very promising. I read many positive reviews and tests. Since Windows XP still seems to be quite common in China, I fear that one will not be able to do without software from this country altogether if one wants to continue using Windows XP. Not to be biased, I gave WiseVector StopX a chance in my system. I have deactivated its firewall component and it runs in combination with Windows 10 Firewall Control XP. After my first experience with this AV solution, I am really impressed. It runs much smoother than ESET NOD32 Antivirus, and it's free of charge. :) More impressions coming soon!

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper

On 10/2/2022 at 12:24 AM, George King said:

Interesting. Our company still use Eset v9 on Windows 10 and it receive updates.

The explanation might be that the updates now require SHA-2 support edit: but see VistaLover’s post on the next page. :blushing:

Edited by Vistapocalypse

On 10/2/2022 at 8:24 AM, George King said:

Our company still use ESET v9 on Windows 10 and it receive(s) updates.

Is that a "special", Business Edition of v9? ESET's knowledge base is quite straightforward for "consumer/home" edition of v9:

https://support-eol.eset.com/en/termination_home.html

I have version 9 and below

Your ESET product has been shut down and will no longer receive detection engine updates.

Date: September 28, 2022

They don't seem to make any distinction on the version of the WinOS v9 is installed on... :dubbio: